Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 23rd September 2002, 11:14   #1  |  Link
jweaver

Created and tested disks with "Just Movie", but it won't play on Standalone player.

I have been battling with a number of problems for months, but think I have tracked it down to a single problem.

I am making the simplest of movies and am using the same process for all of the disks.. In some cases, this works perfectly.. But in others (Say 50%) I have the same problem.

I read the whole disk using SmartRipper

The main movie (VOB) is less than 4 gigs, so I just load the applicable IFO file for that set of VOBs.

I then do 'VOB Extras' and select:

Correct VOB-Units
Correct IFO Tables
Create New VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO

When this has finished I get a new directory with the new IFO files and I copy the VOBs from the original directory.

After doing "GET_VTS_SECTORS", I can test it using "DVD Play" and PowerDVD and it works fine.

I then use Nero (5.5.9.9) to burn it and its fine. But, I have a problem with Nero (its disks won't play on the Toshiba 510 and Pionner 454 players) so am trying to find other applications to burn disk with.:

InstantCD+DVD
-------------

The project shows that the disk is around 4 gigs in size, but when I start the burn the 'progress' shows "xxx out of 1023.15MB".. Then at exactly 1 gig (1024M) the disk finishes and spits out.

RecordNOW 4.1
-------------

The disks appears to burn, but the disk won't play on ANY Standalone player.

Gear 6.02
---------

When you add the VIDEO_TS directory to the project, gear reads the files but then I get an error saying something like 'address 640 already used (647)' (Not sure of the exact error, but I can get it if its any help)

There is clearly something wrong with the VOB,IFO combination, but I can't work out what.

Its strange, as I have a number of disk (all done the same way) which will burn in all packages.. Its just this odd percentage (Say 50%) which will only burn in Nero.

But as mentioned above, I can't use Nero because it won't burn Toshiba/Pioneer friendly disks.

Its should be noted that if I burn a disk which has never been anywhere near IFOEDIT (i.e a DVD-IT project or a 1:1 copy), all of the above applications burn the disks perfectly. Its only disks that have been processed with IFOEDIT which have problems.

Does anyone know whats going wrong??

Last edited by jweaver; 23rd September 2002 at 12:02.
jweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 12:15   #2  |  Link
Artur
Dvd Master

Hello, i think the magic number for Nero is 5.5.8.0. You can try this version or use another software like Prassi.
I use Nero and never had a problem and my version is 5.5.7.8.
Artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 13:42   #3  |  Link
jweaver

I want to stress that Nero works fine.. ALL versions (5.5.8.0, 5.5.9.1), but Nero has a problem creating DVD Videos which will play on Toshiba and Pioneer players.. I have proved this fact.

I have an original DV source from my Camcorder and have turned it into a DVD using DVD-It.

The created file burn fine with ALL versions of Nero (including 5.5.9.9) and will play on most players.. With the execption of the Toshiba 510.

I have the Pioneer 545 and they play fine on that.. But my colleague just bought the new 454 and they don't play.

I then discovered RecordNOW and it makes disks which play on ALL players, including the Pioneer 545 and Toshiba.. However, after a recent spell of 'ripping' I have now found that most of the disks I have created (using the above method) won't even play.

I have tried loads of other packages and all of problems with these disks EXCEPT Nero.. But, as mentioned above, Nero disks dont' play on the Toshiba and new Pioneer players!!
Old 23rd September 2002, 13:52   #4  |  Link
klona

Re: Created and tested disks with "Just Movie", but it won't play on Standalone player.

Quote:
[i]
Gear 6.02
---------

When you add the VIDEO_TS directory to the project, gear reads the files but then I get an error saying something like 'address 640 already used (647)' (Not sure of the exact error, but I can get it if its any help)
[/B]
Seems to be incorrect address sectors.. as if you did not do a Get VTS Sectors. but you did. strange.

Did you try to put vob1 to end in a dir, then just start ifoedit without any ifo and select "creates IFO". It works fien that way for me. But i did not do any movie like that since 6 month at least, so it was working on old previous ifoedit version. surely still work fine
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 15:21   #5  |  Link
jweaver

I am not 100% I understand what you ment by this "Did you try to put vob1 to end in a dir, then just start ifoedit without any ifo and select "creates IFO". It works fien that way for me. But i did not do any movie like that since 6 month at least, so it was working on old previous ifoedit version. surely still work fine"

What I am doing is reading the WHOLE disk in using SmartRipper.

I then look for the big VOB files and load the applicable IFO file.

I then tell IFOEdit just to do "Create New VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO" in a specified directory.

Now, I am left with 2xIFO and 2xBUP files.. Finally I copy the original VOBs and thats if (AFter doing GET_VTS_SECTORS that is).

Funny thing is that I have had this problem for months, but as I have been using Nero, I didn't realise.

I have since dug out some of the original disks I did (with an earlier version of IFOEdit) and I have the same problem.

The exact error I get in GEAR is:

"Load error in VTS_01_0.IFO. File cannot be loaded at the required address (640) because the address is already occupied. First Available address (646)"

The strange thing is that if I repeat the process on the new files (i.e use IFOEdit to create new VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO files) and try and burn using Gear, I get the same error, but this time its for a different address (i.e not 640 and 646)..

So, it seems that the IFOEdit process is doing something, but I don't understand what this error about addresses could mean.

Looking at the Gear window, I think that its got something to do with the 'sector' that the file lives in.
Old 23rd September 2002, 15:50   #6  |  Link
klona

Ok. Just do the following.
Copy the main vobs to a separated directory : VTS_0X_1.vob VTS_0X_2.vob etc.

Rename to VTS_01_1.vob VTS_01_1.vob etc.

Start ifoedit just by launching ifoedit.exe, not from the ifo file.
click on "creates Ifos", and when asked, choose the directory with vobs only with the main movie.

That's it. You have now a video_ts and vts_01 ifos.
You can do a get vts sector on it to be sure.
Use then Gear DVD pro to burn and you should have no error this way.

This worked for me for several movies when I started to copy. Now i want full menus etc, so I do not use this method anymore but it should still work.

I don't know what does exactly do the create new IFO in "Vob extra" feature, but i am not sure it's the best way to do a movie only rip.
Check my method if it works for you.
Old 23rd September 2002, 16:36   #7  |  Link
jweaver

>Everything deleted.. Posted Twice<
Old 23rd September 2002, 16:40   #8  |  Link
jweaver

I always start IFOEdit using the shortcut, rather than double clicking on the IFO file.

However, what you say about creating new VOBs is interesting..

If I do this, will I still have chapters in the movies and different audio streams.. I was under the impression that the chapter marks (and other stuff) were held in the IFO files.
Old 23rd September 2002, 17:15   #9  |  Link
klona

you are right. You loose chapters.
Old 23rd September 2002, 18:26   #10  |  Link
jesoonster

I want to stress that Nero works fine.. ALL versions (5.5.8.0, 5.5.9.1), but Nero has a problem creating DVD Videos which will play on Toshiba and Pioneer players.. I have proved this fact

hehe. just b/c it was bad experience for you doesn't mean it doesn't work on all pioneer players. Nero burns (only thing i do) work fine on all my friends and my pioneer players.
jesoonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2002, 09:24   #11  |  Link
jweaver

Jestoonster,

Trust me about Nero.. I have spent months trying to find a solution to this and have access to vast test bed of players and software.

I have a Pioneer 545 and Neros disks work fine and I was very happy. Infact, Neros disks worked on ALL playters I had access to at that time. But then I got hold of a Toshiba 510, the disks didn't work.

At first I blamed everything, other than Nero.. But finally I tried InstantCD+DVD and those disks played fine on the Toshiba.

Pioneer have just released a new range called x5x (i.e 454, 656 etc).. Several people I know have the new 454 and like the Toshiba, Neros disks dont work.

But the same disks on the older Pioneer 444/545 models (535,444/545) work fine.

The same is true for the Toshiba 510 (Probably the 110 and 210 too).

Pioneer have changed something in their recent models which makes them incompatable with Nero disks.

As a test, I have a direct rip of a DVD-5 which fits on a DVD-R. I have burned it using Nero and RecordNOW.

The Nero disk plays on everything EXCEPT the Toshiba 510 and Pioneer 454.

The RecordNOW plays on EVERYTHING (Including the Toshiba and Pioneer 454).

Don't get me wrong.. Until the new players (454) Neros disks play on ALL their models.. Just not the new range!

Last edited by jweaver; 24th September 2002 at 09:28.
Old 24th September 2002, 09:27   #12  |  Link
jweaver

Klona.

I owe you a pint... It seems that I havn't been doing 'GET_VTS_SECTORS' after all.

I tried it on the files that I was having problem with and to my surprise, I saw it correcting the 'VTS_SECTORS' (I was convinced that I had done this).

After this, I could burn it using Gear (no errors) and RecordNOW makes a working disk.

Funny how Nero isn't affected by this!!

MANY thanks for your help.. I would never have tried this as I was convinced that I was already doing this step...