Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 28th October 2010, 17:53   #1  |  Link
asarian

Experience with Asus AT5IONT-I mb?

Does someone here have experience with the Asus AT5IONT-I motherboard?

It has an onboard Dualcore Intel Atom D525, running at 1,8 GHz. I'd like to buy it to play H264 1080p content with it, but not just regular Blu-Ray m2ts files. See, I've re-encoded a lot of films, often with bitrate peaks up to 60-80Mbps. My PS3 handles that flawlessly, but I'm not that sure about a weak Atom.

Preferably I'd had a board on which you could put a normal quadcore (so I can upscale too, for DVD and such); but those run expensive, if I want HDMI video + 5.1 LPCM audio over HDMI (because there's apparently no chipset for).

I hope someone can tell me a little more.
Old 31st October 2010, 17:34   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

a dual core atom can not handle 60-80mbps avc encodes. expecially if they're HD stuff.
however, your mobo is based on nvidia ION so it handles hardware accelerated AVC decoding.
remember atom CPUs are not made to be strong performers...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:09   #3  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
a dual core atom can not handle 60-80mbps avc encodes. expecially if they're HD stuff.
however, your mobo is based on nvidia ION so it handles hardware accelerated AVC decoding.
remember atom CPUs are not made to be strong performers...
Thanks for the reply, Sharktooth.

Yeah, the Atom alone won't cut it. :) Question, of course, is: will the hardware accelerated ION chipset be able to handle the 60-80Mbps?

And like I said, were it up to me I rather have a motherboard with a regular quadcore or some such; but, sadly, the only motherboards with HDMI video + audio onboard are based on the erroneous assumption that I want a CPU that uses the least bit of power possible, instead of a processor that can actually do what I want.
Old 2nd November 2010, 05:25   #4  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

some AMD boards have integrated GPU and HDMI (800 series chipsets - not all mobos though). Those mobos accept even 6 cores AMD processors and also have DXVA 2 (with h.264 decoding) integrated videocards.
i dont know about the 60-80 mbits streams though. decoders on GPUs have some h.264 features restrictions.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:21   #5  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
some AMD boards have integrated GPU and HDMI (800 series chipsets - not all mobos though). Those mobos accept even 6 cores AMD processors and also have DXVA 2 (with h.264 decoding) integrated videocards.
i dont know about the 60-80 mbits streams though. decoders on GPUs have some h.264 features restrictions.
Thanks for the AMD tip. I found an Asus M4A89GTD PRO, with an onboard ATI Radeon 4290, which is, far as I can tell, the absolute low-end graphics card one could find. :( But it supports a hexacore Phenom II @ 3.2 Ghz (which is comparable to an i7 920, it seems).

I should probably ask around in the h264 section of the forum, to figure out what to expect from CPU decoding speed/fps/Mbps, etc.