Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2004, 13:12   #681  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakuya
I really appreciate that you have created this guide. I don't understand how a given stereo track can be divided into a surround track since the original had nothing like that. You do mean a 5.1 track for DVDs right? I think 5.1 tracks is a division where some is designed to come out of the back speakers and whatnot. Since my stereo track has voices and background music mushed together, how will Plogue divide that?
Hi Sakuya,

No, almost all the methods described in the guides here actually produce five different audio channels and many also add a sixth LFE channel. They either take information that is already in the 2-channel stereo mix and manipulate it in some way to produce the differences, or else they add artificial ambience to generate a difference. Once you get them to work, I think you'll be quite surprised with the results.

As for your problem with Besweet, it is most likely due to what daphy just posted. Try the following:[list=1][*]Go to the Edit menu and choose Preferences.
[*]Click the Disk I/O tab.
[*]Set the use WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE dropdown list to never.
[/list=1] This should fix your problem.

Happy encoding
Steve.
Old 19th July 2004, 15:05   #682  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
Hi Mike,

I deleted my previous answer as I've now posted the bidule and a quickie mini-guide in the thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79862 . Give it a try. I've been quite pleased with the results so far using this bidule.

Enjoy!
Steve.
Link added in the list......

EoH
Old 19th July 2004, 15:08   #683  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

3 times now

Quote:
Hi Sakuya,

<snip>

Happy encoding
Steve.
Now we have on one page three times the same answer to the same question.......

3 times the question
3 the times the answer
In the last 10 messages !!

People, please search before asking !!
Thanks !

EoH
Old 19th July 2004, 15:50   #684  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: 3 times now

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Now we have on one page three times the same answer to the same question.......

3 times the question
3 the times the answer
In the last 10 messages !!

People, please search before asking !!
Thanks !

EoH
Hi EoH,

Perhaps a good solution to this recurring question would be to edit your original guide and add a mention of this step. Feel free to use my screen grab, the one that daphy used.

Steve.
Old 19th July 2004, 19:21   #685  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Re: Re: 3 times now

Quote:
Hi EoH,

Perhaps a good solution to this recurring question would be to edit your original guide and add a mention of this step. Feel free to use my screen grab, the one that daphy used.

Steve.
Yep, I will....
But only after I finally find out how !!
When I try to edit the message, I get the error : your message has too many images. And I should remove some......
(the images were never there in the first place when I started the guide (I had just links to the pictures), but included later by a moderator. And now I read it back it contains some pictures on the wrong place, the layout is a bit of a mess..... but I cannot edit because of the message......)

thanks for the pic !

EoH

Last edited by Eye of Horus; 19th July 2004 at 19:29.
Old 19th July 2004, 20:55   #686  |  Link
Sakuya

I did a test DVD with two different audio tracks. One is this:
http://www.planetquake.com/filterfactory/3daudio.html

The other one is the guide by EoH. The first one which has the 5 channels along with the subwoofer is not good for a movie. It divides up the voices and it sounds more like a concert hall than anything (plus, I can do that same effect just by using my receiver).

For EoH's output, it's much better than the above where the voices have less of the echo (but it was still there). Unless there is a stereo2surround which emphasizes more on the background music/other effects and leaves the voices in the center, I think I will keep to stereo.

Another setback was that my source had muffled audio. Normally, it sounds fine. When it gets just a bit louder, it will start to get muffled (like when someone is talking through a pillow). Both of the conversions above makes this worse. I cannot find an audio filter that solves this muffled audio and I have set up a thread asking this question but nobody replied.

Anyway, this was a pretty good experience. This would work well for CDs and concerts. So thank you to those who came up with this.

Last edited by Sakuya; 20th July 2004 at 07:09.
Old 29th July 2004, 08:21   #687  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Hi folks,

Iīve found a nice VST plugin to play around with virtual room size parameters.

Please please check it out, wheater itīs worth to add in the vst collection
Old 29th July 2004, 08:45   #688  |  Link
kempfand

LOL

As far as I remember, this VST does absolutely nothing , because that is what an Anechoic Chamber will do (no coloroation, no reflections etc).

Cheers,

Andreas
Old 29th July 2004, 09:05   #689  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

okay

letīs forget about it
Old 23rd August 2004, 09:38   #690  |  Link
desertrat

Hi folks,

been a few months since I was last here and it looks like I've got quite a bit of catching up to do. Anyhow the reason for the post is I've got an update to my bidule that I have u/l to the ftp (desertrat_ambi_combo.bidule) and a need to give a bit of explanation to go along with it.

First I would like to ask that these 2 files be removed from the server
desertrat_stereo2ambisonic_ambi_1.5_combo (ver 2).bidule
desertrat_stereo2ambisonic_ambi_1.5_combo (ver 3).bidule

they were put up way to early, before a sufficient amount of testing on my part, sorry if this may have caused anyone and trouble. These 2 bidules will cause distortion on newer source material ie. anything that has a peak close to 0.0 dB.

So now on to the revised method...

The bidule still has a left and right chain, the left side is taken from EoH's ambisonic method and uses the same settings. The right side is based on the ambi 1.5 method with the WXYZ to 5.1 set to J and the three gain modules after it should be set to the same setting.

I normally use one the following settings for the gain modules -10dB, -15dB -18dB -21dB depending on what sounds best for the particular type of music I'm using it on. The gain must be set for a minimun -5dB or you will most likely get distortion in your end results.

The gain modules allow you to control the amount of mix between the left and right sides. The gain modules are on the right side because the right side has a much higher level than the right side, somewhere around -15db to - 18dB seems to be where there's a pretty even mix between the two.

I have found that -15dB setting seems to work pretty well with reggae and dub. -18dB and -21dB work better on ambient music such as Jarre, Eno, etc.

Cheers,
desertrat

Last edited by desertrat; 7th September 2004 at 09:13.
Old 1st September 2004, 19:09   #691  |  Link
AI_Warrior

I have to problems
I know this prob had'n very movement lately but i have some questions
1st:BeSweet tell's me that the wav file is invalid
2nd:When im able to split the 6 chan to individual wavs and put it in the Surcode it also says that the wave header is invalid

Wt should i do???

Greetz 2 ALL
Old 1st September 2004, 19:14   #692  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AI_Warrior
I have to problems
I know this prob had'n very movement lately but i have some questions
1st:BeSweet tell's me that the wav file is invalid
2nd:When im able to split the 6 chan to individual wavs and put it in the Surcode it also says that the wave header is invalid

Wt should i do???

Greetz 2 ALL
This subject passed by quite some times and alone in this thread I think the answer is given at least 4 times !!

Anyway : start Bidule and go to the settings. Make sure that WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE is set to "never". That should fix the problems.
In the version of Bidule used for the guide, this function didn't exist yet. I wanted to update the guide, but I get all kind of remarks about a ""too long message" and cannot save it.....

good luck and kind regards,

EoH
Old 1st September 2004, 21:10   #693  |  Link
ursamtl

Hi AI,

For a graphic that shows the quick solution to this problem, see Step 1 of http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...hreadid=79862. If you follow the directions there, you'll come up with a file that will work fine in SurCode.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
Old 2nd September 2004, 00:40   #694  |  Link
AI_Warrior

1st of all thanks for the so quick help
Im sory that there was already an answer for my question, and i repeated.(im new in this thread)
You were right about my problem but now i have another but just in Surcode. And i think its nasty:
Now i load the wavs(ok) but when i set encode he says "Parallel port lock required to encode"
Now this time i checked the web for this issue and nothing.
By the way when i tried de-activate the parallel port the blue screen showed up and system crashed

Can u help m?
Old 2nd September 2004, 01:27   #695  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
1st of all thanks for the so quick help
Im sory that there was already an answer for my question, and i repeated.(im new in this thread)
You were right about my problem but now i have another but just in Surcode. And i think its nasty:
Now i load the wavs(ok) but when i set encode he says "Parallel port lock required to encode"
Now this time i checked the web for this issue and nothing.
By the way when i tried de-activate the parallel port the blue screen showed up and system crashed

Can u help m?
Do you have a legal copy of SurCode? If so, be sure the dongle is properly installed. If it is and you still get the problem, contact SurCode. If you're using an illegal version well they're often tend unstable.
Old 6th September 2004, 23:56   #696  |  Link
AI_Warrior

Well i reinstaled the program and all went fine but.....i only hear noise. I tried all possible donfigurations. I even tried BeSweet to make the ac3 but nothing..
Everything is alright but the dts/ac3 encoding dont work.

I only ambisonics wonking in pc(WAV)...and i can say its quite impressive, using the realtime DD5.1 provided by nforce(wich has not the briliance of DTS).

Please help m. Its only this that dont work
By the way is there any other DTS encoder than Surcode?

Greetz, and thanks in advance
Old 7th September 2004, 20:40   #697  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Well i reinstaled the program and all went fine but.....i only hear noise. I tried all possible donfigurations. I even tried BeSweet to make the ac3 but nothing..
Everything is alright but the dts/ac3 encoding dont work.

I only ambisonics wonking in pc(WAV)...and i can say its quite impressive, using the realtime DD5.1 provided by nforce(wich has not the briliance of DTS).

Please help m. Its only this that dont work
By the way is there any other DTS encoder than Surcode?

Greetz, and thanks in advance

AI, if you didn't get either the DTS or AC3 encoding to work, then what you were hearing was not "realtime DD5.1" but some simulation provided by nforce.

I haven't heard of any other DTS encoder. Keep trying Besweet AC3Machine. It should work. Don't give up!
Old 19th September 2004, 12:59   #698  |  Link
Schwa226

AC3 Encoding Installation Package

Hi all!

I build a installation routine what will install all of needed programs and files for the stereo to 5.1 AC3 conversation.

The routine will include:
Sonic Foundry Soft Encode
Plogue Bidule
BeSweet
SSRC
Layouts, Groups and Plugins from the server http://www.needfulthings.webhop.org/

Also a WIN32 GUI to handle Bidule,BeSweet,SSRC and Sonic will be included (still in development).

I already have contact with Daphy about uploading/testing the routine.

For more information: carmenelectra_gc@yahoo.de

schwa226
Old 19th September 2004, 15:58   #699  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: AC3 Encoding Installation Package

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwa226
Hi all!

I build a installation routine what will install all of needed programs and files for the stereo to 5.1 AC3 conversation.

The routine will include:
Sonic Foundry Soft Encode
Plogue Bidule
BeSweet
SSRC
Layouts, Groups and Plugins from the server http://www.needfulthings.webhop.org/

Also a WIN32 GUI to handle Bidule,BeSweet,SSRC and Sonic will be included (still in development).

I already have contact with Daphy about uploading/testing the routine.

For more information: carmenelectra_gc@yahoo.de

schwa226
This is a most welcome initiative that will help a lot of newcomers. Well done!

You might want to include AC3Enc since SoftEncode is no longer available and some people are not comfortable using pirated software.

Another suggestion would be to read the registry key for the current VSTPlugins directory and install any plugins there. Then the user could be reminded in a prompt or guide to change the Plogue VSTPlugins folder to point to it. In this way, those of us who have other VSTs installed will have access to all our VST plugins from all hosts. It could be argued that one can always have supplementary VST plugin directories in hosts such as Cubase and Nuendo, but this approach doesn't give Plogue access to plugins outside of its own directory.

I look forward to checking out your routine!

Regards,
Steve.
Old 21st September 2004, 11:02   #700  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

@ Schwa226

Iīve sent you some further idea for your installing routine -> check your mailbox