Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th April 2009, 06:40   #661  |  Link
ericgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
I have found where I read about it.
I am not a video expert. So I just quote recognized authority Don Munsil.
What Munsil said is mathematically correct and IF you wanted to do the "correct" thing for zooming - zoom like an optical lense (e.g. projector/camera lense) than you should do it in linear light RGB.
My background is from professional video post processing. In this field correctness is not important as other features like sharpness, noise level, detail and implementation cost versus achieved quality. The latter is a key factor in algorithm selection. Conversion to linear RGB back and forth is not expensive in HW but performing Lanczos4 on RGB is very expensive than performing Lancso4 on Y and bi-cibuc/Lanczos2 on YU. Madshi uses a softer kernel on UV with good results - this isn't possible in RGB. Many video processing algorithms work better or are much easier to implement in YUV than RGB. Post scaling algorithms like sharpness is a good example. Sharpness filters are not "correct" but they look nice. We want to enhance the video beyond its original digital quality (the output of the decoder).
ericgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:11   #662  |  Link
nlnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post
What Munsil said is mathematically correct and IF you wanted to do the "correct" thing for zooming - zoom like an optical lense (e.g. projector/camera lense) than you should do it in linear light RGB.
My background is from professional video post processing. In this field correctness is not important as other features like sharpness, noise level, detail and implementation cost versus achieved quality. The latter is a key factor in algorithm selection. Conversion to linear RGB back and forth is not expensive in HW but performing Lanczos4 on RGB is very expensive than performing Lancso4 on Y and bi-cibuc/Lanczos2 on YU. Madshi uses a softer kernel on UV with good results - this isn't possible in RGB. Many video processing algorithms work better or are much easier to implement in YUV than RGB. Post scaling algorithms like sharpness is a good example. Sharpness filters are not "correct" but they look nice. We want to enhance the video beyond its original digital quality (the output of the decoder).
Thank you very much for very informative reply!
Sorry, I do not have my own opinion, but have a look at the posts #90 Mr.D, # 102 dmunsil in these thread:
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...2&page=4&pp=30
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:18   #663  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiko View Post
Just the picture's name is the version of madVR.
41 seems to be *much* better on your hardware. Maybe it's less smooth for you with the current madVR build, but with a future madVR build it will be much better than 40.

However, your average GPU rendering times are generally too high! You won't be able to get really perfectly smooth playback with these rendering times, regardless which shader compiler version you're using. You will have to either disable some quality options or use different resampling filters, or upgrade your hardware. E.g. the Radeon 4770 was released yesterday and looks great to me. 50W under full load with performance almost identical to the 4850. Can't get much better than that for HTPCs, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post
My background is from professional video post processing. In this field correctness is not important as other features like sharpness, noise level, detail and implementation cost versus achieved quality. The latter is a key factor in algorithm selection. Conversion to linear RGB back and forth is not expensive in HW but performing Lanczos4 on RGB is very expensive than performing Lancso4 on Y and bi-cibuc/Lanczos2 on YU. Madshi uses a softer kernel on UV with good results - this isn't possible in RGB. Many video processing algorithms work better or are much easier to implement in YUV than RGB. Post scaling algorithms like sharpness is a good example. Sharpness filters are not "correct" but they look nice.
Thanks, that makes sense. Don Munsil also stated that he asked Gennum and HQV etc to implement linear light scaling and they replied to him that the hardware cost is too high to justify the theoretical improvement in image quality - at least at this point in time.

My plan is to (at least optionally) offer this processing chain:

(1) Upsample chroma to 4:4:4 by using a soft kernel.
(2) Convert Y'CbCr -> R'G'B' -> RGB -> YCbCr by using shader math (floating point with 32bit per channel), without clipping in between, so the conversion should be nearly lossless. The resulting linear light YCbCr data will be stored in 16bit integer.
(3) Eventually adjust brightness, contrast and saturation (in linear light).
(4) Scale to the final output resolution (in YCbCr linear light).
(5) Eventually do some further post processing (in YCbCr linear light).
(6) Convert linear light YCbCr back to 16bit R'G'B' by using a precalculated 3dlut, which will also do gamut & gamma correction.
(7) Dither down to 8bit R'G'B'.

I think a graphics card like the Radeon 4770 should be able to do all this with ease, at least with 24p content (60p content might be too much of a burden).

Does that sound to you like the optimal way to go for image quality? Or do you have a suggestion on how to make things even better? E.g. I'm not sure on whether I should scale on linear light RGB or linear light YCbCr? Probably it doesn't matter much, I'd guess? I'd prefer to scale linear light YCbCr because I have some scaling algorithm tweaks in mind which might show less artifacts when doing scaling in linear light YCbCr. Also I'm wondering if 16bit integer is enough for linear light YCbCr? Or should I better use 32bit floating point buffers for linear light YCbCr instead?

I don't care right now how much burden it is on the hardware, because graphics cards are getting faster at an almost ridiculous pace. So what may be too much burden today might be easily doable in a year or two. So I want to implement the best quality that is possible, even if it overloads current budget hardware. (But of course there will be options to trade quality for performance...)
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:44   #664  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

@madshi
I love your no-compromise-thinking! I think it is the right way.

Quote:
(6) Convert linear light YCbCr back to 16bit R'G'B' by using a precalculated 3dlut, which will also do gamut & gamma correction.
I don't understand why you gamma correct at this point and not in the hardware LUT of the graphics card. It usually works with 10bits which is enough to avoid banding. Is there a special reason? Or is it impossible to do gamma correction after gamut correction?

Quote:
Also I'm wondering if 16bit integer is enough for linear light YCbCr?
Maybe I missed the point, but 255 ^ 2.2 is much bigger than 65535.

Last edited by FoLLgoTT; 29th April 2009 at 08:05.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:51   #665  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Please have a look at the ATI Avivo Display Engine architecture:
http://ati.amd.com/technology/Avivo/...Whitepaper.pdf.
May be that will help you to develop the best processing chain.

By the way they claim using spatial and
temporal 10bit -> 8,6bit dithering and 10x6 taps scaling filters.

Last edited by nlnl; 29th April 2009 at 08:30.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 08:28   #666  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
temporal 10bit -> 8,6bit dithering.
This is very interesting! I always wondered why there is no banding when using gamma correction on a Radeon using DVI output.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:11   #667  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

That's still sad compared to HQV http://www.hqv.com/technology/index1...TOKEN=18870619

1024 tap
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 09:56   #668  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
I don't understand why you gamma correct at this point and not in the hardware LUT of the graphics card. It usually works with 10bits which is enough to avoid banding. Is there a special reason? Or is it impossible to do gamma correction after gamut correction?
There are a number of reasons:

(1) We want to do gamut & gamma correction, not only gamma correction. For doing gamut correction we're using a very big 3dlut. Now if we already use a 3dlut for gamut correction, gamma correction can be done through the very same 3dlut "for free". So why should madVR limit itself to 10bit ATI gamma correction, if it can do 16bit gamma correction on its own without any additional performance cost?

(2) I don't trust the graphics cards manufacturers to get things right. If you look at the chroma upsampling screenshots, you'll see what terrible quality my ATI card gives me. Now there are reports that some users are getting much better chroma upsampling quality from their ATI cards, but only with specific renderers and specific video formats. Anyway, it's a mess. Also I can't get VMR9 or EVR to output video levels without getting BTB and WTW clipped. Or I'm having trouble getting VMR9 to provide PC levels. You see, getting the standard renderers to do what we want is extremely hard. And the fault lies with ATI. Don't know about NVidia. But why the heck should we rely on graphics manufacturers to get things right, if they've proven again and again that they don't know what the heck they are doing in the HTPC area?

(3) The purpose of madVR is to provide best possible quality. On any graphics card. With any source. Without worrying about having to tweak decoder and renderer settings all the time. And this is only possible if I avoid any and all video related processing offered by the graphics card manufacturers. Because they simple are not reliable. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. It can change with driver revisions. It can change with the OS, with the graphics card model, with the video format etc etc. madVR doesn't have any of these problems right now, so why should I even consider going back to depend on graphics card manufacturers getting things right? IMO that would be major step back.

Quote:
temporal 10bit -> 8,6bit dithering and 10x6 taps scaling filters.
Great. If only they would get the basics right. Like chroma upsampling. Or color conversion without clipping BTB and WTW. Etc...

BTW, if I'd use their taps calculation, madVR's Lanczos8 scaling filter uses 16x16 taps instead of 10x6. And madVR uses 16bit -> 8bit dithering instead of 10bit -> 8bit. So in both cases madVR "wins". The problem is that the number of taps alone is not the decisive factor for image quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
That's still sad compared to HQV http://www.hqv.com/technology/index1...TOKEN=18870619

1024 tap
HQV marketing is drinking the cool aid. They are counting the number of pixels that go into their scaling filter. If I do the same calculations, Lanczos8 comes out with 16x16 = 256 taps. Ok, so HQV is using Lanczos16 instead of Lanczos8. Or something like that. I could easily add a Lanczos16 resampling filter to madVR, too. The problem is that IMHO actually Lanczos4 looks better than Lanczos8 and much better than Lanczos16 because Lanzos4 is 99% as sharp and aliasing free as Lanczos16 while having *much* less ringing artifacts.

Ok, I don't know which exact resampling filter HQV is using. Maybe it's not Lanczos, maybe they are using something else which has less ringing at higher taps. But still, I don't really see much benefit from using more than 8x8 = 64 taps. The increase in sharpness in minimal, the increase in ringing is big.

BTW, Don Munsil and Stacey Spears prefer using Catmull-Rom scaling over Lanczos scaling because of the Lanczos ringing artifacts. Now Catmull-Rom uses only 2 taps (or 4x4 = 16 taps according to HQV math). Go figure... I don't really agree with their choice of Catmull-Rom, though.

IMHO the number of scaling taps is somewhat similar to the megapixel race with digicams. J6p likes big numbers. Marketing likes big numbers. But the reality is different. Best image quality does not always come with the highest number. Sometimes a higher number can even be bad.

Last edited by madshi; 29th April 2009 at 09:58.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:38   #669  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

@madshi
OK, I got your points and I agree with you.

Quote:
So why should madVR limit itself to 10bit ATI gamma correction, if it can do 16bit gamma correction on its own without any additional performance cost?
I just thought about CRT projector users who are using analog output. In this case there is no dithering in AVIVO's pipeline when using ATI's gamma correction, because the DAC itself works with 10bit. So If my projector had a perfect BT.709 gamut and I only wanted to correct gamma, I get dithering with madVR which is limited to 8bit output. With ATI's gamma I don't have this dithering.
Anyway, this special case is no problem at all. I can still use VideEqualizer "behind" madVR and deactivate 3D LUT processing and dithering.

Last edited by FoLLgoTT; 29th April 2009 at 10:48.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:48   #670  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, I don't know which exact resampling filter HQV is using.
They claim to be using a modified version of teranex scaler, which according to them is a military grade scaler.

Teranex scaler seem to used to upscale movies filmed with pre-HD cameras to HD for release on bluray.
The technology has even won an emmy.

The demo's on their site look very impressive, but that's the marketing guys talking ofcourse, reviews on the net seem positive though

It doesn't matter though because its closed source and very expensive.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:07   #671  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
They claim to be using a modified version of teranex scaler, which according to them is a military grade scaler.
That's all nothing but marketing talk.

Quote:
Teranex scaler seem to used to upscale movies filmed with pre-HD cameras to HD for release on bluray.
So what? That does not say anything. If you look at how bad some Blu-Rays look which were "upconverted" from older masters, I'd say it's not even a good idea to market your product with such a reference.

Quote:
It doesn't matter though because its closed source and very expensive.
And according to my information not as good as Lumagen's scaling, which uses less taps than HQV's scaling, AFAIK.

I'm not saying that HQV quality is bad, not at all. But just because their marketing department goes fancy you shouldn't believe that it isn't possible for us to compete with them quality wise...
Old 29th April 2009, 11:08   #672  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Does that sound to you like the optimal way to go for image quality? Or do you have a suggestion on how to make things even better? E.g. I'm not sure on whether I should scale on linear light RGB or linear light YCbCr? Probably it doesn't matter much, I'd guess? I'd prefer to scale linear light YCbCr because I have some scaling algorithm tweaks in mind which might show less artifacts when doing scaling in linear light YCbCr. Also I'm wondering if 16bit integer is enough for linear light YCbCr? Or should I better use 32bit floating point buffers for linear light YCbCr instead?
Remember that YCbCr needs more 1 bit than RGB to contain the same number of colors (to be lossless it would need more 2 bits), so, the only reason I see to perform all the processing in RGB is to gain that extra bit(s).
IMHO 16bit integer is not enough for linear processing. 32bit FP should be the bare minimum. I have tryed running cr3dlut only in 32bit FP and it was not lossless. When I say lossless, I mean simply removing the gamma and reapplying it would yield different results. Not much, only by 1 in some of the components, but there was a difference. Only with 64bit FP I achieved completelly lossless degamma/engamma.
Also, if you're looking for the ultimate solution, the final step should also be performed using shader math, because the 3dlut only can have 8bit per component at the input side, and if you have 32bit FP you will loose some precision when you interpolate linearly for the 3dlut indexing.

Last edited by yesgrey; 29th April 2009 at 11:12.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:17   #673  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
That's all nothing but marketing talk.
Yes i agree.
The end result should be compared right?

Do you think madvr will eventually rival/beat the image quality of those 5000$ players?(assuming DVI/HDMI, videocard's often cannot be the high quality dac's on those standalone players for analogue signals)

I think you are going in the right direction with the "scientific facts only please, no snakeoil" approach.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:45   #674  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
IMHO 16bit integer is not enough for linear processing. 32bit FP should be the bare minimum. I have tryed running cr3dlut only in 32bit FP and it was not lossless. When I say lossless, I mean simply removing the gamma and reapplying it would yield different results. Not much, only by 1 in some of the components, but there was a difference. Only with 64bit FP I achieved completelly lossless degamma/engamma.
Ok, that's fair. So I'd have to use 32bit floating point buffers when doing linear light scaling. I'm beginning to see why it costs more performance than scaling in gamma corrected light...

Quote:
Also, if you're looking for the ultimate solution, the final step should also be performed using shader math, because the 3dlut only can have 8bit per component at the input side, and if you have 32bit FP you will loose some precision when you interpolate linearly for the 3dlut indexing.
How about returning to gamma corrected light by using shader math and then feeding the resulting R'G'B' data into the 3dlut? Obviously I *have* to use the 3dlut somewhere if we want to do gamut & gamma correction!

Quote:
The end result should be compared right?
That would be ideal, but it will be difficult to get clean screenshots from HQV processing! So comparisons might have to be done in real time playback and that means it might be somewhat subjective...

Quote:
Do you think madvr will eventually rival/beat the image quality of those 5000$ players?
I have no idea, but I sure hope so. Actually I expect to beat them in some ways (e.g. doing linear light scaling etc). HTPCs might lose in deinterlacing quality, though.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:19   #675  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
How about returning to gamma corrected light by using shader math and then feeding the resulting R'G'B' data into the 3dlut? Obviously I *have* to use the 3dlut somewhere if we want to do gamut & gamma correction!
I think that if you go for the linear processing route you should perform all processing inside madVR using the shaders.
You don't need to use the 3dlut for the gamut and gamma correction. The gama correction is easy, is just using a custom gamma function when converting from RGB->R'G'B'. The gamut correction is also easy to perform; if you use the linearized bradford transform is just a simple matrix multiplication, and the error by using the linearized vs the full bradford transform is not significative, at the maximum is a +/-1 difference in some component values... and since it affects the blue most, it would not be very easy to see the differences. You can always add using the full bradford transform as an option for more powerfull GPUs, of course.
The 3DLUT is a very good solution, but it's limited by it's size. We could never use more than 8 or 9 bit at the input size, and when you consider so important to create a processing chain with a full 16bit depth precision, having one component limiting it to 8 or 9 bit does not seems very logical...
I will run some tests to see how much time the current code I have needs for processing a few pixels. This could give you a raw idea of how it should perform if ported to the GPU...
Old 29th April 2009, 13:03   #676  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

oh yes, 64FP HSLS gamut conversion w/ the existing PS script would be great! no loading time, perfect colors!

just two text files SD.txt/HD.txt that you can switch w/ a batch file depending on the gamut/display

w/ automatic 601/709 decoding depending on the resolution, and we'd be good to go

Last edited by leeperry; 29th April 2009 at 13:16.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:14   #677  |  Link
yesgrey

Here are some benchmarking results using cr3dlut code:

Time for processing 2 107 392 pixels using an Intel E2160@2700MHz (2 cores)
(1920x1080 = 2 073 600 pixels)

YCbCr->RGB 64bit FP: < 1ms

YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 1, 32bit FP, 1 thread: 813ms
YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 1, 32bit FP, 2 thread: 421ms

YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 1, 64bit FP, 1 thread: 688ms
YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 1, 64bit FP, 2 thread: 359ms

YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 2, 64bit FP, 1 thread: 1656ms
YCbCr->RGB, gamut & gamma correction, CA 2, 64bit FP, 2 thread: 968ms

Now the question is: How can we translate these cpu processing times into gpu processing times?
I've measured the YCbCr->RGB conversion to serve as a reference, because it's already implemented by madshi.
This code is parallel by nature, so with more processing units the processing time should decrease proportionally. Considering the GPUs have lots of processing units, maybe cr3dlut can be fully ported to shader code and used in realtime with no significant penalty...
Old 29th April 2009, 14:23   #678  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
You don't need to use the 3dlut for the gamut and gamma correction. The gama correction is easy, is just using a custom gamma function when converting from RGB->R'G'B'. The gamut correction is also easy to perform; if you use the linearized bradford transform is just a simple matrix multiplication
What about your Akima splines? What about doing independent gamut corrections at multiple stimulus levels? What about 10-point (or more) gamma correction? Are you saying that all of that can be achieved with a few simple math instructions? I don't think that's true...

Quote:
We could never use more than 8 or 9 bit at the input size, and when you consider so important to create a processing chain with a full 16bit depth precision, having one component limiting it to 8 or 9 bit does not seems very logical...
I think you are underestimating the effectivity of trilinear interpolation. Yes, the 3dlut itself may be limited to 8 or 9 bit. But thanks to trilinear interpolation we should have support for virtually any bitdepth we want. Ok, interpolation is not perfect, but I think it's the best we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
oh yes, 64FP HSLS gamut conversion w/ the existing PS script would be great!
No, it would not. A really good CMS needs different corrections for different stimulus levels. And that is not possible with a simple PS script.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:43   #679  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
41 seems to be *much* better on your hardware. Maybe it's less smooth for you with the current madVR build, but with a future madVR build it will be much better than 40.

However, your average GPU rendering times are generally too high! You won't be able to get really perfectly smooth playback with these rendering times, regardless which shader compiler version you're using. You will have to either disable some quality options or use different resampling filters, or upgrade your hardware. E.g. the Radeon 4770 was released yesterday and looks great to me. 50W under full load with performance almost identical to the 4850. Can't get much better than that for HTPCs, I think...
Yes, I know. This videoclip is encoded in highly usage of h/w.
So I use it for testing.
In these moments, sadly, I have no plan to buy new h/w...
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:53   #680  |  Link
rack04

I don't want to call this a bug but I do want to see if others are experiencing the same thing.

MPC-HC Build 1.2.1079.0
madVR v0.8
ffdshow tryouts, svn 2918
Windows XP SP3
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M

When playing a 1280x720 video on my 1280x1024 LCD monitor I noticed a delay when switching the video to full screen. When the video switches to full screen the video is stretched for approximately 5 seconds and then adjusted to the correct AR. I don't experience this with VMR or EVR CP. I'm assuming this is due to the video card but I just wanted to bring it up. Thanks.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling