Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th December 2010, 23:21   #5961  |  Link
Zathor

TopDonn: If I understand you correctly the issue occurs only if you mux the x264 encode with MP4Box. It does not occur if you use only the x264 encode. Is this correct? If yes then try once again another muxer e.g. this one: http://megui.org/auto/MP4Box-0.4.6-rev2125.zip

Also please disable the "Force Decoding via DirectShow" in your audio profile and maybe switch to neroenc.

Additionally please upload the source file or at least a part of the file where you can reproduce the error.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 23:54   #5962  |  Link
TopDonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
TopDonn: If I understand you correctly the issue occurs only if you mux the x264 encode with MP4Box. It does not occur if you use only the x264 encode. Is this correct? If yes then try once again another muxer e.g. this one: http://megui.org/auto/MP4Box-0.4.6-rev2125.zip

Also please disable the "Force Decoding via DirectShow" in your audio profile and maybe switch to neroenc.

Additionally please upload the source file or at least a part of the file where you can reproduce the error.
Hi, the problem occurs regardless of what muxer i use.

Let me however try the workarounds that you have mentioned and will get back with the results
TopDonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 01:14   #5963  |  Link
TopDonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
This worked! I replaced the the mp4box in MeGUI with the one from the above URL and voila, back to working perfectly.

What's weird is that i had already tried replacing it with the one from Yamb as suggested by Sharktooth but that did not work. Sharktook mentioned earlier that recent versions of mp4box are a PITA. Yup, i guess they are.

Anyway, issue solved.

Last edited by TopDonn; 7th December 2010 at 01:16.
TopDonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 10:56   #5964  |  Link
pequickit

Hi...

I just set up MeGUI for the 1st time the other day to replace AutoGK that I've used to compress TV captures in the past. I have to admit right up front here that I'm not the brightest lamp in the room when it comes to most video work. After a couple of days now, I've managed to get a basic grasp on converting MPEG2 captures to xvid avi files and h.264 MP4 files with MeGUI.

But I ran into a problem converting some VOB files on an old DVD that were encoded a bit oddly, and though I've managed to get a reasonably transcoded MP4, I have to force smplayer to a 4:3 AR in order to have it display properly. Smplayer reports the file's AR as 1.6162, while both GSpot and MPC see it as 1.333. This isn't a huge problem, but I'd really like to understand what's happening here for future reference.

The storage frame for the original DVD video was set to 544x480, the image is anamorphic, and was letterboxed with 18 pixels on the left, 8 pixels on the right, and 2 pixels on the bottom. And the frame rate is 29.970. Here's a frame:

I originally had problems getting MeGUI's AVS Script Creator to write an avs file that would result in a file that could display the proper display AR. The tool reports the video as having an input DAR of ITU 4:3 PAL (1.367521), yet to the right of the selection box it reports NTSC. DGIndex also reports it as NTSC. But I guess it's neither, having been created by some software that's ancient history to me at this point.

What I did was to run 'auto crop', set 'clever anamorphic encoding' to 'resize to mod 16', ran interlacing analysis and saved the AVS file. But I could tell that the transcoded video was slightly squeezed horizontally. I looked at the AVS file and found anamorphic encoding was resizing the video as follows:

global MeGUI_darx = 21
global MeGUI_dary = 16

I just changed the values to:

global MeGUI_darx = 4
global MeGUI_dary = 3

The result displayed properly in MPC, WMP, Quicktime Player, and Total Video Player. Here's a screen capture:

Only smplayer had to have 4:3 forced, as by default it displays it at the value of 1.6162 that it's reporting the AR to be.

This is really the 1st time I've dealt directly with anamorphic transcoding which I'm just now learning about as I learn MeGUI. So I'm wondering if there is a better solution to this problem than editing that AVS file as I've done. GSpot reports the following for the transcoded file:

Codec: avc1 - Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Storage frame: 544x480
sar: 1.100 (11:10)
par: (none)
dar: 1.333(4:3)
fps: 23.976

For some reason MeGUI changed the source file's original frame rate of 29.970 to 23:976. I don't know enough about video to know if that may be contributing to smplayer's problems

GSpot reports the following for the source file:

Codec: MPEG2 - Name: MPEG-2
Storage frame: 544x480
sar: 1.133(17:15)
par: 1.176 (20:17)
dar: 1.333(4:3)
fps: 29.970

Hopefully someone here can tell me if there's a better way to achieve my goal.

I also hope this is the proper place to be asking about this.

Thanks
pq

Last edited by pequickit; 9th December 2010 at 09:25.
pequickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 00:38   #5965  |  Link
jwscuba

Getting Started

OK, so I am really trying to work with MeGui to see if I can get better encodes than I do with handbrake. Although handbrake seem to make the process alot simpler.

Are there any places to find up to date guides for MeGui. And some tips (best profiles, best codecs to use). I search the forums and there is alot of information but it seems like it is al either old versions of MeGui with old presets and setting that don't exist. Any I am just wondering. If not maybe some help.

I am wanting to basically convert my DVD video_ts folder to mp4. I want to set up an autoencode setting that will pretty much just work (I will accept some loss in quality to not have to set and test things every time).

I want to end up with a file that has:
1.The video stream (x.264_Unrestricted (DXVA) or x.264_Max Compatibility (DXVA); just how uncompatible is the unrestricted)
2. Surround sound audio stream (was thinking NDAAC-HE48Kbps as i heard faac is not as good)
3. AC3 passthrough (my guess is I have to mux this in at the end somehow)
4. Subtitles (forced subtitles and if possible CC so if I mute subtitles come up realizing that the playback software would have to support that but would want it there just in case)

Would also love to know if there is a way to embeed the cover art and metadata at the time the files is encoded/muxed. Watching a buddy try to add coverart to his itunes library for his movies and it takes him about 6min each movie. I don't currently use iTunes (media center uses the folder.jpg) but don't want to have to go through what he is if down the road I get an appleTV or somthing. Would just liek to have it there.

Anyhow, sorry for the tone of questions. Hopefully someone could help.
jwscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 02:24   #5966  |  Link
pequickit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscuba View Post
Are there any places to find up to date guides for MeGui.
These don't all address your questions, and they're all not up-to-date, but here's a few URLs that got me up and running:

Convert DVD to XviD with meGUI
how to DVDRIP to XVID.AVI
MeGUI/Basic DVD Ripping Guide/Ripping
Windows 7 - Video Encoding x264 (MeGUI)
MeGUI H.264 Conversion Guide
OneClick Encoder and AutoEncode Walk-Through Guides
pequickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 08:41   #5967  |  Link
ariefjuga

hi, i found the problem when using the latest stable version of megui. When i choose slow first pass in x264 config, then i try to check my result file with mediainfo, it still have "fast_pskip=1" is it bug or something?
Another question, how to cut and deleting some middle part of our video?

thanks
ariefjuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 12:54   #5968  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariefjuga View Post
When i choose slow first pass in x264 config, then i try to check my result file with mediainfo, it still have "fast_pskip=1" is it bug or something?
Fast pskip has nothing to do with the "slow first pass" option.
Slow first pass only means that the same settings will be used in first pass as in the second. The mediainfo of your output will be the same regardless, since the first pass doesn't write a file.
Fast pskip is an analysis option. You can activate it via the advanced options if you like. The only x264 inbuilt preset that uses fast_pskip=0 is preset placebo.

Last edited by nurbs; 12th December 2010 at 15:24. Reason: LigH
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 14:52   #5969  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
The only x264 inbuilt preset that uses fast pskip is preset placebo.
To be correct: "--preset placebo" is the only preset which includes "--no-fast-pskip", means: "fast pskip" is per default enabled in all presets except "placebo"

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 14:59   #5970  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Quote:
hi, i found the problem when using the latest stable version of megui. When i choose slow first pass in x264 config, then i try to check my result file with mediainfo, it still have "fast_pskip=1" is it bug or something?
Another question, how to cut and deleting some middle part of our video?

thanks
AVS Cutter in MeGUI.
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 18:33   #5971  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighto View Post
AVS Cutter in MeGUI.
I believe it cuts only avisynth scripts, so it's not very useful because we can do it with avisynth's trim option.
To cut AVC videos, there is Cut Assistant, AviDemux, Yamb, MPEG Streamclip, VideoReDo, Boilsoft Video Splitter, ...
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 19:21   #5972  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Or you may have to edit the AviSynth script manually:

before = Trim()
after = Trim()
AlignedSplice(before, after)

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 19:56   #5973  |  Link
Lyle_JP
Unreasonable User

Quote:
AVS Cutter in MeGUI.
Great, but how do you cut the sound file in exactly the same place so it will sync up?
Lyle_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 20:06   #5974  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Great, but how do you cut the sound file in exactly the same place so it will sync up?
AVS cutter in MeGUI, if you reencode the audio.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:18   #5975  |  Link
Lyle_JP
Unreasonable User

Quote:
AVS cutter in MeGUI, if you reencode the audio.
I wasn't aware that audio used frame numbers. Or do I need an AssumeFPS statement?
Lyle_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 20:21   #5976  |  Link
L4a-Thompson

if i convert hd material to mkv full hd with me-gui i get a perfect mkv file.
but if i mux the file to a bluray with ts muxer and make an image with imgburn i get a realy bad video because it is full with arthefacts and powerdvd can`t play the bluray

has anybody this problem to?

my way to convert:
hd stream extractor -> get the streams
DgavC index -> get the dga file

my avs script has 4 lines
LoadPlugin("D:\DGAVCDecode.dll")
AVCSource("C:\project.dga")
asharp(2,3,1.3,hqbf=true)
tweak(sat=1.09)
this i load in megui

the settings for the x264 i use only the preset verry slow and by tuning: Film

after the converting i use tsmuxer to get the bluray strukture and made an image with imgburn
what i doing wrong
L4a-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 20:25   #5977  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
I wasn't aware that audio used frame numbers. Or do I need an AssumeFPS statement?
You can load the files the AVS Cutter produces in the audio encoding tab. Cut your video, load the cuts file with the audio and I suspect things will work out.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:03   #5978  |  Link
ariefjuga

Quote:
Fast pskip has nothing to do with the "slow first pass" option.
Slow first pass only means that the same settings will be used in first pass as in the second. The mediainfo of your output will be the same regardless, since the first pass doesn't write a file.
Fast pskip is an analysis option. You can activate it via the advanced options if you like. The only x264 inbuilt preset that uses fast_pskip=0 is preset placebo.
how to disable/enable it in the setting?

Quote:
AVS Cutter in MeGUI.
i already try with avs cutter. but the command in this setting is just to cut begining part and end part of video but not middle part of it. or maybe there is another command in avs cutter i dont understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Or you may have to edit the AviSynth script manually:

before = Trim()
after = Trim()
AlignedSplice(before, after)
oh, is it another command which i looking for? but my friend, can you explain to me what value i suppose to fill in this "()" symbol?

Quote:
Quote:
You can load the files the AVS Cutter produces in the audio encoding tab. Cut your video, load the cuts file with the audio and I suspect things will work out.
do you mean to load avs script after we edit with avs cutter?
ariefjuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 12:09   #5979  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Quote:

i already try with avs cutter. but the command in this setting is just to cut begining part and end part of video but not middle part of it. or maybe there is another command in avs cutter i dont understand?
You can cut the middle part of a video.
Use the zone start and zone end button preview window to select exactly which part of the video do you want to be encoded out.

For the audio you can use the audio cutter or just select the cut file in the audio tab.

Last edited by Lighto; 13th December 2010 at 12:16.
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 12:22   #5980  |  Link
Music Fan

It's really easier with avisynth. Trim cut audio and video and they stay synchronized.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui