Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th December 2017, 15:07   #47981  |  Link
Sm3n

Hey,

I noticed something the moment I switched from Potplayer x86 to Potplayer x64. The frame drop literraly drops down (from several hours in x86 to few minutes in x64). I checked everything regarding Madvr then I asked myself if it wasn't related to audio - since Reclock doesn't exists in x64.
And the result was obvious. If I switch the Reclock option back to default (in Potplayer x86) I have the same drops down I have in x64 application.

What I understand is Potplayer is more demanding for outputing audio than Reclock and this loss of performance is impacting Madvr?
What alternative or settings should I change to properly use this x64 app?

I'm thinking, maybe I should directly ask to Potplayer cause I bet Madvr is not the faulty one in this case?

cheers

Last edited by Sm3n; 30th December 2017 at 15:30.
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 16:14   #47982  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
this is now a difficult decision as neither Nvidia or AMD have stable enough card now using windows 10.

The main issue with NVIDIA for me was 3D, its just not reliable at all, sometimes it works, often it doesnt. I was also getting for more black screen and HDMI signal loss with my 1050. HDR is also a problem, its broken at the moment, a fix is coming but they will likelly break it again.

My AMD 550 is pretty stable now but it still freezes my PC now and again coming out of a video playback, although i've gone back to 17.10.2 and it hasnt crashed for over a week. HDR is spot on with my AMD card, no issues at all, perfect glitchless playback.

My current preference is AMD as I have perfect playback of everything with only the odd pc hang on newer drivers, I dont game so there is no rush for me to keep up to date.
So Rx 550 is powerfull enough to upscale 1080p -» 4K with NGU antialias high???
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 16:17   #47983  |  Link
huhn

depending on the used scaler yes for sure make sure it is a 4Gb version.

edit: NGU high no way...

Last edited by huhn; 30th December 2017 at 16:27.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 18:32   #47984  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
I'm thinking, maybe I should directly ask to Potplayer cause I bet Madvr is not the faulty one in this case?
madVR is not the problem, but it's potentially your solution.

Make sure you're using the latest version of madVR, then read madshi's tutorial on creating custom resolutions for your TV/monitor. When you find the right custom resolution, your frame drops will go back to days or even longer and you'll have no need for ReClock because your audio and video will be in perfect sync.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 21:42   #47985  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSharply View Post
But the IRQ error is caused by FSE mode in W10
This is the drivers fault. The software says FSE mode please, and the drivers do something that crashes the system.

FSE mode uses parts of the drivers/hardware other modes do not. Software has to access the hardware via the drivers, it has no control at the IRQ level. Software can sometimes work around driver issues to avoid them crashing but not cause a blue screen itself, at worse the software crashes.
Old 30th December 2017, 22:03   #47986  |  Link
Sm3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
madVR is not the problem, but it's potentially your solution.

Make sure you're using the latest version of madVR, then read madshi's tutorial on creating custom resolutions for your TV/monitor. When you find the right custom resolution, your frame drops will go back to days or even longer and you'll have no need for ReClock because your audio and video will be in perfect sync.
Thx for the tuto, I didn't know about those custom settings... And thx to it I understand a bit more why I loose such of "frame drops every". It's all related.

First of, my TV accepts all framerate (from 23 to 60). I followed his tutorial but unfortunately I can't choose no "optimized pixel clock #" because the gpu don't accept it. :/ I have a GTX 970 by the way.

Last edited by Sm3n; 30th December 2017 at 22:44.
Old 30th December 2017, 22:23   #47987  |  Link
AttackSharply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is the drivers fault. The software says FSE mode please, and the drivers do something that crashes the system.

FSE mode uses parts of the drivers/hardware other modes do not. Software has to access the hardware via the drivers, it has no control at the IRQ level. Software can sometimes work around driver issues to avoid them crashing but not cause a blue screen itself, at worse the software crashes.
So my new BSOD is an issue with Nvidia display drivers ?

I'll watch a movie tonight and see if it crashes upon exiting since I'm using the latest MadVR now.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 23:19   #47988  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
First of, my TV accepts all framerate (from 23 to 60). I followed his tutorial but unfortunately I can't choose no "optimized pixel clock #" because the gpu don't accept it. :/ I have a GTX 970 by the way.
Are you having problems USING the optimized setting or SAVING it? If using, make sure your custom res is in madVR's list of resolutions to automatically change to (for example, "1080p25" or "720p25").

If you're having trouble saving it (common with Nvidia), try changing the display resolution in Windows to something other than the custom resolution. For example, if you're trying to save a 25Hz resolution, use Windows display adapter properties dialog to set your TV to 60Hz, then try to save the 25Hz again. Doesn't always work, but it does sometimes.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 00:05   #47989  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSharply View Post
So my new BSOD is an issue with Nvidia display drivers ?

I'll watch a movie tonight and see if it crashes upon exiting since I'm using the latest MadVR now.
ive had similar issues, mine doesnt blue screen it just hangs, i get a black screen and the pc is dead, I have to power cycle it, nothing in events, no mini or memory dump, nada, at least if you are getting a BSOD you can check where its coming from.

I was also getting random black screens when coming out of movies for no reason, with identical settings I didnt get the same on my AMD card.

All the issues we are having awith win 10 t the moment seem to stem from the fall update, my system was stable before that.

Have you tried a full clean install of GFX drivers, LAV and MADVR?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 00:42   #47990  |  Link
Sm3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Are you having problems USING the optimized setting or SAVING it? If using, make sure your custom res is in madVR's list of resolutions to automatically change to (for example, "1080p25" or "720p25").

If you're having trouble saving it (common with Nvidia), try changing the display resolution in Windows to something other than the custom resolution. For example, if you're trying to save a 25Hz resolution, use Windows display adapter properties dialog to set your TV to 60Hz, then try to save the 25Hz again. Doesn't always work, but it does sometimes.
Yep USING it. But now I think it's all good I don't know how or why but I could change and save the "optimized" setting for the 23fps. I succeeded to achieve more than several days reaching the "no frame drops/repeats expected" sometimes.

Thx again for pointing me this new tutorial and for your time.
Old 31st December 2017, 06:16   #47991  |  Link
Ceremony

is there a way to quickly "convert" a few clips (which still amount to a few thousand frames) through madvr processing without manually screenshooting every single frame?

I know its not the intention of madvr, but I need to convert them as the hardware i plan on showing the clips on unfortunately do/can not run windows or madvr. The enhancements i set within madvr (upscaling, debanding, post processing and so on) do make a huge difference when I tested a short ~5sec sample using the painful screenshot method. obviously, frame deliver is not optimal, but overall quality at near lossless reencoding does work wonders. anyone got a nice script or some tool capable of going through all the frames and exporting them as PNGs or something for further conversion in the appropriate format?
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 07:53   #47992  |  Link
AttackSharply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

It may be premature to make the claim, but 92.10 seems to have solved the new BSOD issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
ive had similar issues, mine doesnt blue screen it just hangs, i get a black screen and the pc is dead, I have to power cycle it, nothing in events, no mini or memory dump, nada, at least if you are getting a BSOD you can check where its coming from.

I was also getting random black screens when coming out of movies for no reason, with identical settings I didnt get the same on my AMD card.

All the issues we are having awith win 10 t the moment seem to stem from the fall update, my system was stable before that.

Have you tried a full clean install of GFX drivers, LAV and MADVR?
MadVR 92.10 seems to have solved the 'attempted execute of noexecute memory' issue.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 08:39   #47993  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
is there a way to quickly "convert" a few clips (which still amount to a few thousand frames) through madvr processing without manually screenshooting every single frame?
Nothing yet.. Sometime soon though.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 08:44   #47994  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
OBS game capture should be able to do it but don't expect perfect results.
Old 31st December 2017, 14:38   #47995  |  Link
Yoshi

@madshi: Since I suppose it got lost in this thread despite your announcement to pickup several posts content-wise - any comments on the remarks I had made a while ago?

Last edited by Yoshi; 31st December 2017 at 14:39. Reason: correction of formatting
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:16   #47996  |  Link
Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
OBS game capture should be able to do it but don't expect perfect results.
wouldn't that record duplicate frames?
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 18:35   #47997  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Happy New Year And Thanks madshi for the developing in 2017!
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 21:49   #47998  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Yeah madshi, happy new year, to you and all the members of this amazing community.

Madshi, this year me and my woman saw a lot of movies with the best video quality thank to you. Really, thank you so much my friend.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 23:57   #47999  |  Link
mparade

3D decoding/rendering issue

Hello there,

I would need some help, if possible. I am totally got stuck with 3D playback (2D HD and SD is working as expected).

I have the following system without 3D working both using JRiver and Kodi for testing.

The system:
i5 7600K CPU,
16GB RAM,
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti,
LG C6V HDR 3D TV.
Nvidia driver installed: 388.71.
Windows 10, 64-bit.

Problem: Both of my players are crashing when selecting "use Direct3D 11 for presentation..." under general settings of madVR. Black screen effect after selecting "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode".
madVR version: 0.92.4.

I have a 3D capable system but 3D has never been working here using madVR and LAV filters. When I try to play back a "frame-packed" mkv container in Jriver/Kodi DSplayer, after being sure I am fulfilling all the requirements for 3D playback, madVR handles the decoded source as 2D (even no indiation of 3D among the "ctrl+J infos" while playing back), so I am pretty sure of that that something is wrong at the decoding stage already (LAV filters).

Please help. Maybe the expert guys here has already encountered with such problems regarding 3D.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by mparade; 1st January 2018 at 00:00.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 08:32   #48000  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
wouldn't that record duplicate frames?
yes and the trick is it to not show duplicated frames and duplicated frames are pretty easy to fix but don't worry there are even more problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I have the following system without 3D working both using JRiver and Kodi for testing.
try it in MPC-HC
Quote:
Problem: Both of my players are crashing when selecting "use Direct3D 11 for presentation..." under general settings of madVR. Black screen effect after selecting "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode".
madVR version: 0.92.4.
what now? does the player crash or do you get blackscreen or both?
be awaree that windows 10 pretty much hates FSE and it has changed alot in term of FSE and depending on the windows 10 version you are using you may have more or less problems.

don't except microsoft nvidia or AMD to test 3D properly test it. it is not used much... and they have way bigger problems.

what so ever 3D work fine for me.
i just need to run the nvidia 3d wizard and that it.
Quote:
I have a 3D capable system but 3D has never been working here using madVR and LAV filters. When I try to play back a "frame-packed" mkv container in Jriver/Kodi DSplayer, after being sure I am fulfilling all the requirements for 3D playback, madVR handles the decoded source as 2D (even no indiation of 3D among the "ctrl+J infos" while playing back), so I am pretty sure of that that something is wrong at the decoding stage already (LAV filters).
when installing lavfilter you need to install the extra intel 3D decoder that is not installed by default.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling