Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th October 2006, 06:33   #1  |  Link
ilnot
ilnot

Recode Audio Issue

Hi all, I am encoding Sketches of Frank Gehry, a full length interlaced movie. The size (cust 700MB) is fine but the audio is 2 to 3 frames advanced of the video. Any suggestions for fixing this in Recode. My settings: Standard AVC, 1.03Mbps, non-letterboxed, 2 pass, GOP 300, mv 256, 3 B-frame, 2 maxref, deblock 2, extra quality, all options on. The audio source is 5.1 surround at 5.1 automatic quality setting.
ilnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 15:08   #2  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

Can't you just add a delay to the audio ? I can remember seeing an option for this in Recode somewhere ...

Add <frame_offset>*(1000/<fps>) milliseconds, where frame_offset is the 2-3 frames you are talking about (which might be a bit more, in fact).

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 18:40   #3  |  Link
bond

moved

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 20:27   #4  |  Link
ilnot
ilnot

I must not be familiar enough with the program, I don't see where the frame offset option is.
Old 9th October 2006, 22:08   #5  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

Lol man, put your eyes facing your eyeballs and read again

I'm suggesting you add a delay to the audio (in milliseconds), and I'm giving you a formula to calculate that delay (depending on the framerate and the delay you're observing).

BUT, I'm completely lost now, I can't remember where I could have possibly seen that option. I thought Nero was able to do this.

The other solution would be to introduce some empty sound at the beginning of the ac3 soundtrack (using Avisynth, feeding it to NeroAacEnc via BePipe), and exchange the sound from the mp4 file generated by Recode with the mp4 file generated by NeroAacEnc.

But I can't see you having to do this each time you encode a movie. Is this this the only one you have a problem with ? Or does the issue really come from Recode ? Some DVD's have a natural delay (which is detected by DGIndex, but obviously not Recode), this is why I ask.

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 00:50   #6  |  Link
ilnot
ilnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZell666 View Post
Lol man, put your eyes facing your eyeballs and read again
What...?

This is the only interlaced movie I've encoded, the other DVD's worked fine. Could you point me to a guide or "How-to" on the dead sound adding procedure and thanks for your help.