Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 30th March 2003, 08:29   #1  |  Link
trbarry

DVD2AVI2 v 1.83.5 (for HDTV)

Of interest mostly to HDTV users I just put out a new test version of the save-oe DVD2AVI program. It corrects an occasional huge stated audio delay in streams with multiple audio programs (thanks Khimera). It also improves file name handling for 2 char file types (.ts, .tp)

Functioning for normal VOB's and DVD rips should be unchanged.

- Tom

edit: In brain dead sleep deprived grogginess I seem to have ommitted the link. see www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip

Last edited by trbarry; 1st April 2003 at 03:52.
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2003, 02:33   #2  |  Link
lineman
Banned

trbarry
Where can I download this new version?

Lineman
lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2003, 03:53   #3  |  Link
trbarry

lineman -

I added the missing link above.

- Tom
Old 4th April 2003, 08:09   #4  |  Link
Selur

"Functioning for normal VOB's and DVD rips should be unchanged."
So it should work with Avisynth like the DVD2AVI 1.76 ?
(I know I could have tested it myself, but you know: 'never touch a running system' )

Cu Selur
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2003, 18:18   #5  |  Link
trbarry

It should work like 1.76 but there is no real reason to switch for non-HDTV users except for some P4 optimizations. And they mostly will only apply if you are compressing directly from DVD2AVI2.

This is just a patch to the Sourceforge save-oe version.

- Tom
Old 4th April 2003, 18:45   #6  |  Link
Jeff D

Tom, this new version which is listed as "For HDTV" all over. Does that actually mean for those using with HDTV caputre streams?
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2003, 21:38   #7  |  Link
trbarry

Yes it does but that has been true for the file posted at the same link for over a year now. I still believe it has always worked for normal ripping purposes, etc for all this time. And it has also supported ATSC HDTV streams for that time.

The only reason I singled out HDTV here in this post is because the bug fixes and enhancements have interest only to HDTV users.

Note if you are using it for frame serving HDTV then you also need one of the HDTV supporting MPEG2DECx modules like MPEG2DEC2 or MPEG2DEC3.

- Tom
Old 4th April 2003, 23:52   #8  |  Link
lineman
Banned

trbarry

How do I get this version of avi2dvd to recognize mpg audio streams. It doesnt seem to understand them,only DD streams

Lineman
lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2003, 02:06   #9  |  Link
trbarry

lineman -

Dunno. I've never had anything but ac3 and I don't know anything at all about the audio code. (and very little about ANY audio code)

- Tom
Old 7th April 2003, 11:18   #10  |  Link
Selur

"It should work like 1.76 but there is no real reason to switch for non-HDTV users except for some P4 optimizations."
Thx for this clearification
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2003, 17:35   #11  |  Link
abman

thanks for the great tool trbarry, much better than having to use hdtvtompeg2.

I do kind of wonder if there's a way to get the display window to resize or something, maybe display at 50%. I have a tough time with 1080i feeds. can't seem to do anything to let me see the slide bar at the bottom. I want to cut the end in case of garbage signal, and it takes forever to scroll with the arrow keys. Is there a keyboard shortcut to jump to the end of the file? I figured [ and ] do the same as the buttons, but couldn't find a good way to jump to the end of the file w/o being able to see the slider.
abman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 15:36   #12  |  Link
Xesdeeni

I'm having trouble getting this to work with HDTV transport streams. I started with the the .tp files on DVico's web site (http://www.dvico.com/hdtv/download.asp at the bottom), but I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to work with the samples here (http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/hd_ads/) either. When these streams are loaded, the window goes black, but doesn't show an image and doesn't resize. When I do a "Save Project," I get a d2v file with not much in it:

FINISHED

It seems to work with VOBs of these same streams converted using HDTV2MPEG2.

Am I missing something?

Xesdeeni
Xesdeeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 17:37   #13  |  Link
abman

Yes, you need to set the PID's to the correct # in the dvd2avi.ini file. Open the .tp in hdtvtompeg2 and get the PID #'s for the subchannel you are wanting to save (probably those test clips only have one in them). Then open the ini and replace the numbers. It will probably be either 11&14, 21&24, or 31&34.
Old 17th April 2003, 17:59   #14  |  Link
Xesdeeni

Doh! I forgot that.

OK, so now I'll make the same request as above about scaling down the image when it doesn't fit on the screen

Xesdeeni

Last edited by Xesdeeni; 17th April 2003 at 18:02.
Old 17th April 2003, 19:07   #15  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
I do kind of wonder if there's a way to get the display window to resize or something, maybe display at 50%.
What I do is always click on the "Clip & Resize", click Reset, and scale it to something sloppy that fits on the screen. Then I cut the ends if needed, fiddle with other stuff, and finally click Reset one more time before saving the project file.

When frame serving with MPEG2DEC3 you will crash if you pass it any crop or resize parameters. With MPEG2DEC2 (YUY2 only) it will honor the crop parms but ignore the resize parms.

I've been meaning to fix all this someday in some sort of consistant fashion but right now I've just converted to XP on my dev machine and don't even have VS6 (and all the packs) installed again yet. So I can't currently do any programming.

DVD2AVI2 can crop and resize when you go straight do a codec without MPEG2DECx. But I do not believe resize will ever be supported by MPEG2DECx because it would not work for interlaced material. What I've thought of doing is allowing you to specify crop and resize parms in DVD2AVI2 but having the MPEG2DECx do only the cropping. It could then pass the specified resize values on through to Avisynth as global variables so you could (optionally) resize properly after IVTC or deinterlacing or whatever.

I don't know if I'll ever get to that though.

- Tom
Old 17th April 2003, 20:13   #16  |  Link
Xesdeeni

I don't think we're asking for an actual resize of the video stream, just of the video being displayed, so that it, and all the controls and the status window will fit on the screen .

On a side note, have you looked at the content from the DVico site? The SDADxx.tp files are "standard definition," although they are scaled up to 1920x1088. But I have no idea what the heck they were doing with that video. The framerate is reported as 23.976 fps. I can't play the clips in real time on my machine, but they are clearly telecined. After some looking, it looks like they are telecined to 47.952 fields. Well, this would look very good, except they don't do a 2 fields per frame telecine! The pattern appears to be 2 fields for one frame, followed by 1 field for a frame, then 2 fields for the next frame and then 3 fields for the next frame. Ech! It's as if they telecined it and then inverse telecined it by throwing out every 5th field and got out of sync!

Anyway, I don't know how this reflects on the FusionHDTV card. I assume this is just a copy of what was transmitted.

Xesdeeni
Old 18th April 2003, 01:14   #17  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
I don't think we're asking for an actual resize of the video stream, just of the video being displayed, so that it, and all the controls and the status window will fit on the screen .
When you change the crop & resize parms it also changes the display. The rest was just me getting OT wondering if anyone cared if I implemented resize that way.

I think I did download an early DVico demo but I don't even rememeber if I finally got around to playing it. I think it is valid MPEG2 to have a mixture of both repeat flags and progressive frames so maybe you should see what happens if you turn on Force Film. ??

I'll look around and see if I still have it.

- Tom
Old 18th April 2003, 17:49   #18  |  Link
abman

ya its best to just leave resize to lanczosresize in avisynth, but crop would be fine to pass through. Not terribly important though. That trick with crop & resize fixed my problem, just what I had been looking for

do you know if using split .tp files as a source can cause any problems in the resulting ac3 file? I run into a lot of crc problems, generally 2 or 3 per file. could that be the cause? or is it probably in my source?
Old 19th April 2003, 03:06   #19  |  Link
trbarry

I don't know for sure but I suspect that chopping sections out of the middle of a tp file using things like HDTV2MPEG2 may cause problems like that. I have never quite trusted that but can't prove anything wrong with it.

What I was talking about implementing for resize was having DVD2AVI/MPEG2DEC2 pass along the resize parms to Avisynth as global variables, say like MP2ResizeWidth MP2ResizeHeight.

Then in your avisynth script or template you could anywhere specify

LanczosResize(MP2ResizeWidth,MP2ResizeHeight)

and have it use whatever you chose in DVD2AVI. It's not an essential feature but it's just something I've wanted for awhile so I don't have to write down the numbers. But again, it's not important enough that I'll likely ever get to it.

- Tom
Old 19th April 2003, 03:16   #20  |  Link
Xesdeeni

I see what you mean about scaling the image temporarily, but it is kind of sloppy I've never used this feature, does this info get put into the .D2V file, and will is screw things up further down the line if I leave it this way (remember, I was trying to have the status window on-screen)? Anyway, I've always wondered why DVD2AVI wouldn't let you drag-size the window.

As for passing the scaling to AVISynth...before you implement that, I'd request a way to choose/change the video and audio stream IDs without modifying the .ini file .

BTW, I'll have to check again through DVD2AVI, but when I load the same two clips referenced above into the Elecard player and check it's info, it says 29.97 fps instead of 23.976 fps. I probably was pulling another Homer Simpson "Doh!" on that one too...oh well...time for a vacation....

Xesdeeni

Last edited by Xesdeeni; 19th April 2003 at 03:18.