Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 10th April 2008, 12:35   #241  |  Link
jolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen View Post
There appears to be a bug when ripping multiple tracks to flac at once. After a few tracks the status bar stays on "waiting..." and nothing happens. I look at the few tracks that are ripped, and they are all still in wav and not flac.
When I cancel and re-rip them again, each track (all the way, no problems) is converted to flac right after it is ripped....like it should be, I'm assuming. But when you first try to rip them, all at once, it must have a bug with using flac.

This has consistently occurred on several discs.
I have the latest flac 1.2.1

I appreciate your inclusion of this excellent feature!

Edit: whoops, it must be that 1000MB wait threshold thing...how does it work? lol
Will this happen only once if you rip several disc after another, or once for each disc?
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 14:22   #242  |  Link
frenchglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson View Post
Will this happen only once if you rip several disc after another, or once for each disc?
Bit of a mixed bag really...
But I have word that in the next release this is fixed
frenchglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 06:24   #243  |  Link
staygroovy

Guys, I don't know who to thank for this program, but it is absolutely incredible, a godsend for people
like me who are interested in hearing and analyzing the separate components of a surround mix,
and I am blown away by how easy it has become to do this, even for a 'DVD-A n00b' like myself....

sg.
staygroovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 16:17   #244  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

a new version???

Yum...can't wait!!!!
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 21:01   #245  |  Link
mommyman

We've got into problems with decoding Grateful Dead "American Beauty" and I don't have this disc for testing. What improvements would you like to find in the new one?

P.S. Multichannel downmix option will be introduced in the new version

Last edited by mommyman; 11th April 2008 at 21:06.
mommyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 22:39   #246  |  Link
frenchglen

welcome staygroovy! the poster above is da man. It's also open-source, for any coder who wants to come along and collaborate (I wish I was a coder )

----
Alright mommyman, since you've asked for it,

DVD-AUDIO PLAYBACK! (preview what tracks you want to rip, or simply play the disc back like a menu-less CD!)
I would be patient to wait for that at any time in the future
Old 12th April 2008, 10:16   #247  |  Link
mommyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen View Post
DVD-AUDIO PLAYBACK! (preview what tracks you want to rip, or simply play the disc back like a menu-less CD!)
Kidna tough stuff, huh? The current version of Qt4 library (which is used in DVDAE as frontend) has only rudimentary capabilities of playing sounds and it was promised to be improved in the next incarnation. Let's wait for a while
and see what can be done.
I'm thinking of developing Winamp plugin for MLP/TrueHD playback in case if someone else is not doing the same thing at the moment. Could be more useful...
Old 16th April 2008, 08:20   #248  |  Link
mommyman

Beta 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ezrzeo
Changes:
1. Stereo downmix extraction supported.
2. "Recover from stream errors" option added.
3. Threads syncronization bug fixed.
Old 16th April 2008, 14:00   #249  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

good news!!!!

thanks
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 21:07   #250  |  Link
mommyman

If someone is interested this is very raw prototype of Winamp MLP/TrueHD decoder plugin: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f5jrux
Old 20th April 2008, 16:32   #251  |  Link
frenchglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyman View Post
If someone is interested this is very raw prototype of Winamp MLP/TrueHD decoder plugin: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f5jrux
Wonderful! Excellent.

I have tried many MLP tracks of almost every bitdepth, resolution and channel configuration, and they all work. Also tried very large MLP files (whole albums I joined up and long pink floyd tracks) and they are fine too, seeking is just as fast! + I really like the downmix info you've added in file info dialog!

And lastly, gapless playback - I tried out the beatles love album. There appears to be a little click in between the tracks (at the beginning of each track I think), track 3 into track 4 is a good example to try and hear it. I've tried flacs of the same tracks and joining the MLPs, which don't have the click.
Old 22nd April 2008, 21:14   #252  |  Link
dizziness

Quote:
Beta 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ezrzeo
Changes:
1. Stereo downmix extraction supported.
2. "Recover from stream errors" option added.
3. Threads syncronization bug fixed.
Great work! Finally I am ripping the 2-ch hi-res from my LOTR discs.

As far as multichannel, how about encoding with tsremuxer and a dummy video channel onto a mini BluRay disc (DVD-5)? I haven't given it a go as I'm ripping discs like mad here. This would appear the ideal way to back up our DVD-A to BD for posterity and multichannel playback without a HTPC.

Ideas?
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:47   #253  |  Link
mommyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post
This would appear the ideal way to back up our DVD-A to BD for posterity and multichannel playback without a HTPC.
At the first glimpse this looks like pretty smart ass idea of backing up watermarked content Untll BD players don't care about watermarking... But seems that the multichannel PCM is the only option for BD because TrueHD is not exactly the same as MLP and MLP to TrueHD conversion cannot be done by patching the stream.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:54   #254  |  Link
dizziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post
Great work! Finally I am ripping the 2-ch hi-res from my LOTR discs.?
Has anyone had success ripping SideA from The Lord of the Rings Return of the King? I must have a bad piece of media (which is bad news as its OOP.) I scavenged the web with no luck to replace the media.

At first I thought it was DVDAExplorer but I can't even rip an image without errors. It has problems at the layer flip which is in the 2-ch group. Harumpf.

Last edited by dizziness; 24th April 2008 at 10:36.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:55   #255  |  Link
dizziness

Quote:
At the first glimpse this looks like pretty smart ass idea of backing up watermarked content Untll BD players don't care about watermarking... But seems that the multichannel PCM is the only option for BD because TrueHD is not exactly the same as MLP and MLP to TrueHD conversion cannot be done by patching the stream.
I used TSRemuxer 1.7 to make a BDMV folder for burning successfully with a 6-ch WAV ripped from LOTR:ROTK DVD-A, all burnt to a DVD-9.

Here we are, ripping DVD-A>BD losslessly! Now I just need a decent BD player with multichannel decoding to test the disc. My first choice was a PS3 40GB (for SACD playback) but I don't have a surround receiver with HDMI (for multichannel PCM.) Here's hoping that Oppo gets their universal BD/DVD player built ASAP.

I am concerned about channel mapping from WAV>BD but this can be fixed with eac3to if need be.

Last edited by dizziness; 24th April 2008 at 14:59.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:21   #256  |  Link
jolson

BTW, wasn't SACD playback removed from the 40GB version?
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 15:51   #257  |  Link
DragonQ

Hi all,

Firstly, great job on the beta! I do have a question though - why is it that when using the stereo downmix option the resulting file is so quiet? The loudest song on the album I am ripping barely hits -6db meaning there's wasted resolution there (and I have to turn my speakers up more than should be necessary).

I could do the downmix myself but it would take a long time using Adobe Audition or something. Is there a reason the downmix is so quiet or is it a mistake?
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 16:17   #258  |  Link
Hancoque

To avoid clipping you have to lower the amplitude of the resulting signal by how many input channels you mix into one output channel.

This is the normal 5.1 to stereo downmixing matrix:
Code:
 |Lf|Rf|C     |LFE|Ls    |Rs
-+--+--+------+---+------+------
L|1 |  |0.7071|0  |0.7071|0
R|  |1 |0.7071|0  |0     |0.7071
Thus, the sum for each output channel is 2.4142 (1 + 0.7071 + 0.7071) or +7.655 dB. To compensate for this you have to divide the amplitude of the output channels by this sum. Then the highest possible amplitude would be 1 (0 dB). This is about making the process clipping-proof. But in reality 0 dB is rarely reached because to achieve that every input channel has to have an amplitude of 0 dB at the same sample location. Therefore it's absolutely normal to have peaks much below 0 dB.

I don't know how the program does the downmixing as I don't use it, but it would be ideal to do it in 32-bit floating point and also save the output in this format to avoid quantization errors. If this is not already the case, regard it as a feature suggestion.

By the way: I use foobar2000 with the Matrix Mixer DSP plugin to do the downmixing (in 32-bit floating point). Afterwards I normalize the material with a small command line tool, I wrote myself (also in 32-bit floating point). It is able to normalize multiple files while keeping their relative volume to each other (album normalization). Quality-wise there is no room for improvement.

Last edited by Hancoque; 27th April 2008 at 16:35.
Hancoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 01:19   #259  |  Link
bertox

mommyman:

Please upload both files to Mediafire or Rapidshare...

....SendSpace don't works!!!!! He allways ever says: 'Sorry, the free service is at full capacity.'

Please, thank you.

Last edited by bertox; 28th April 2008 at 01:38.
bertox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 07:50   #260  |  Link
mommyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertox View Post
:
....SendSpace don't works!!!!! He allways ever says: 'Sorry, the free service is at full capacity.'
SendSpace seems to be ok by now. Maybe, that was temporarily.
DragonQ
Downmixes are so silent because they were produced in that way. The default downmix Lf/Rf coefficients for SurCode MLP Encoder are -6dB. This is the point, probably...