Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 3rd February 2005, 21:47   #221  |  Link
Bogalvator

Just checked and Peter last posted about NuEnc at KVCD.NET forums on 31 Dec, so don't worry, there's no new developments that you're missing out on.

I'm quite sure any news/updates about his work on NuEnc etc will be announced here as soon as it's known as well as on kvcd.net
Bogalvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 06:40   #222  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
Peter last posted about NuEnc at KVCD.NET forums on 31 Dec
yes and besides the post on the 9th of Jan saying his pc had blown up and the 18th of Jan saying he had borrowed a pc he had not been heard from here since the 10th of December.
also danpos said Peter had already talked about his pc blowing up and he was trying out a 0.21 version he had been sent.

make of that what you will.
Old 18th February 2005, 13:33   #223  |  Link
manolito

I just found out that Danpos has published a short NuEnc tutorial in Portuguese at
http://www.vmesquita.com/forum/index...12176#msg12176
The nice thing is that he also hosts the latest NuEnc 0.21 test version.

I don't know if it is alright with Peter Cheat to post the link since he has not officially released version 0.21, but Danpos has only good things to tell about it.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 18th February 2005 at 13:35.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2005, 18:06   #224  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@manolito

Hi, guy! I just want to clarify that question. I was also unsure with respect to host a version not formally released for all, but thinking more over I did conclude that I can to do it for the following reasons: 1-The NuEnc version is a test one (beta), which is aimed at development of encoder (test of options, bug tracks etc); so, in this manner,if more people can to test it, more easy and rapdily the encoder development will go ahead; 2-I did a explicit communication that the download version is a non-official release (which will be provide for the owner, Peter Cheat); 3-As a admiring from Peter's work, I did want divulge it in brazillian community; so, I thought that a new version, with more features and fixes will help in disseminate it.

Obviously, I'll like to talk with NuEnc owner (Peter Cheat), but as you've noted, the same is off a very long time. My intentions are the best as possible. If all think that I did a fault, I simply deleted the file from my webspace.

I hope have got clarified that issue.

Cheers,
danpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2005, 20:12   #225  |  Link
freelock7
High beam

Hope to get news about Peter Cheat soon
We're all still waiting for its new RC.
freelock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 20:07   #226  |  Link
manolito

QuEnc compatible command line interface for NuEnc

NuEnc has a slightly different command line interface from QuEnc, and if
NuEnc encounters a parameter it does not know, it simply quits with a "Bad
Parameter" message. Result: DVD Rebuilder and DVD2SVCD do not work with NuEnc.

Peter Cheat seems to have gone into hibernation, so there is little hope that
he might fix the command line interface any time soon. Since I am a little too
stupid to modify the NuEnc sources and recompile it I decided to write a small
utility that sits between the application and NuEnc and translates the command line
parameters so NuEnc can understand them.

Download at http://scifi.pages.at/manolito/NuCLI/NuCLI.zip

Tested under Win XP with NuEnc 0.01b and NuEnc 0.21. Works with the latest builds
of DVD2SVCD and DVD Rebuilder 0.74 (could not test the VIP versions).

@danpos
I like version 0.21 very much, do you have any idea what Peter Cheat changed
since 0.01b? There is no changelog...

Enjoy
manolito
Old 21st February 2005, 22:21   #227  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

Re: QuEnc compatible command line interface for NuEnc

Quote:
Originally posted by manolito

@danpos
I like version 0.21 very much, do you have any idea what Peter Cheat changed
since 0.01b? There is no changelog...

Enjoy
manolito
Hi, manolito! I've no idea of modifications applied to NuEnc by Peter, because of I had access only the Nuenc.exe, matrix.ini etc ... I do agree with you with respect to that release, it is really very, very good! I've got very good encodings for MPEG-2 targets (DVD,XSVCD), although for MPEG-1 targets something must be improved. BTW, it is my favourite encoder ATM.

Cheers,
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:20   #228  |  Link
nnigam

I have read a lot of good things about this encoder, but where do I get the latest version. All links that I followed go to version .01. I currently am using QuEnc and would like to try this as well.
Old 23rd February 2005, 19:55   #229  |  Link
manolito

@nnigam:
Just go 5 posts upward, there you will find a link to a NuEnc tutorial by danpos. At the bottom of this tutorial there is a link to NuEnc 0.21.

Cheers
manolito
Old 23rd February 2005, 21:04   #230  |  Link
nnigam

Thanks

I had looked earlier, but obviously not well enough. This time I looked more thouroughly and found it.
Old 25th February 2005, 15:16   #231  |  Link
manolito

@danpos

I have done a couple of encodes with NuEnc 0.21, mainly low bitrate VHS capture to SVCD encodes, and I must say, I am impressed. I used the settings from your tutorial with the BVCD matrix, and I cannot find any quality decrease compared to the original VHS tape.

But I do have a couple of questions, and since Peter Cheat is not available ATM, I guess you are the person to ask:

The settings you propose in your tutorial are all optimized for speed. If I want a better visual quality without too much of a slowdown, which setting would be the best to change? MB Decision from Comp Fn to Least Bits or RD, Compare Fn from SAD to SATD, or Search Size from Diamond 1 to 3 or even higher? Or is Adaptive better? I found that Adaptive 4 is about as fast as Diamond 1, which one would look better?

I understand that you did test NuEnc's CQ mode, and I'd like to know if CQ mode is VBV and bitrate compliant. In other words, is the resulting stream DVD (or SVCD) compliant by observing the Max bitrate? If so, we could have someone (Amnon82, JDobbs or Tylo) write a prediction tool for NuEnc which would give us a high quality one pass VBR encoder which also happens to be FREE.

Cheers
manolito
Old 25th February 2005, 19:40   #232  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

Quote:
Originally posted by manolito
@danpos

I have done a couple of encodes with NuEnc 0.21, mainly low bitrate VHS capture to SVCD encodes, and I must say, I am impressed. I used the settings from your tutorial with the BVCD matrix, and I cannot find any quality decrease compared to the original VHS tape.
I'm glad that my humble tutorial has been useful for you (and mayble others ).

Quote:
The settings you propose in your tutorial are all optimized for speed. If I want a better visual quality without too much of a slowdown, which setting would be the best to change? MB Decision from Comp Fn to Least Bits or RD, Compare Fn from SAD to SATD, or Search Size from Diamond 1 to 3 or even higher? Or is Adaptive better? I found that Adaptive 4 is about as fast as Diamond 1, which one would look better?
Well, you must to play a little bit with the settings and then choose the better "cost-benefit" ... I'm gonna reproduce down a piece of readme.txt from NuEnc 0.1:

MB Decision - Alters how the encoder selects a MC MB. Least Bits=high quality (fast), RD=very high quality (slow).
Compare Function - SAD=good(fast), SATD=best(slow)
Search size - Adaptive is faster, Diamond is a little better. Larger value corresponds to larger search size.

Quote:
In other words, is the resulting stream DVD (or SVCD) compliant by observing the Max bitrate?
Yep, for sure. Since that buffer underflows not occurs, the max bitrate is guaranteed and you get a elementary stream fully compliant. In this way, you must take care with the matrix chose, in order to prevent buffer underflows to occurs.

Quote:
If so, we could have someone (Amnon82, JDobbs or Tylo) write a prediction tool for NuEnc which would give us a high quality one pass VBR encoder which also happens to be FREE.

Cheers
manolito
I think that will be great a such tool. Lets wait that someone have interests to do it!

Greetings,
Old 27th February 2005, 23:31   #233  |  Link
Amnon82
Paldo-GNU/LinuxMaintainer

If I find time, I'll add NuEnc-Support to one of the next AutoCQ-Releases ...
Amnon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 04:04   #234  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Amnon82
If I find time, I'll add NuEnc-Support to one of the next AutoCQ-Releases ...
WOW, that's a great news! I'd love this AutoCQ release!

Kudos,
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:30   #235  |  Link
DMagic1

Any working link for 0.01b?
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 02:19   #236  |  Link
L.H.V.F.

Hi

For anyone interested in NuEnc, and their original variants (NuEnc 0.01b - NuEnc 0.21 - NuCLI), I had solicited to manolito forum member:

Binary and Sources

Best regards,
L.H.V.F. .

Last edited by Guest; 25th January 2013 at 14:46.
L.H.V.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 14:20   #237  |  Link

[bump after re-open]
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote