Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th November 2016, 00:34   #40661  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Here I'm looking at a 24" screen I'm about 1 1/2 feet away from it.
My 65" TV is about 2 1/2 meters away, my 24" screen encompasses more of my vision than the 65" TV does and I can resolve more detail too.
This isn't attitude it's simple science mate.
Don't you think anyone in the world would understand that? And especially the people on this forum?
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 00:36   #40662  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Don't you think anyone in the world would understand that? And especially the people on this forum?
Pretty easy to see this for yourself. But anyway.. keep to madVR topic :P
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 00:59   #40663  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Someone please sticky this!!!!!

DO NOT install SVP on Pascal GPUs based setups!!!!!!!

I made the ugly mistake of trying to use SVP on an 1080, madVR + mpcHC setup. That thing broke my drivers, I alost had to reinstall windows. After uninstalling it, madVR and MPC HC kept crashing, even reinstalling them, erasing all registry entries did not fix it.

Keep in mind, SVP breaks the Nvidia driver entirely!

On NGU, I don't use it until the coil whine will maybe get a fix. I'm scared of why no game and nothing else causes coil whine, but madVR w/ NGU does, so I'll just use it after this gets solved...
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:07   #40664  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
It won't be related to the player. I used MPC-BE x86.
I was curious. but you're right, just tried the stable and the beta. no luck there. I think we can exclude the player as a factor.

Quote:
Did you try what huhn suggested? Also did you try running the reset defaults batch file in the madVR directory? I've found this to fix the odd issue like this over the years.
yes. I also did a new clean installation of madVR and tried changing various settings.

Quote:
Also, just for the hell of it test madVR 0.87.21 & 0.87.0 which are the first revisions where NNEDI3 made an appearance in case any madVR code changes have affect on the output.
weird. with these versions I can tell madVR to use NNEDI but it just refuses to do so. the picture is not affected at all (just plain image upscaling) and in the OSD NNEDI isn't mentioned.

I reinstalled the current version and used GPU-Z to see if there is something noticeable with the sensor data. but all is fine, no value reaches the limit when using NNEDI.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:13   #40665  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00kyFox View Post
weird. with these versions I can tell madVR to use NNEDI but it just refuses to do so. the picture is not affected at all (just plain image upscaling) and in the OSD NNEDI isn't mentioned.
Try 0.88.10 & 0.88.11
Old 24th November 2016, 01:19   #40666  |  Link
plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post

I made the ugly mistake of trying to use SVP on an 1080, madVR + mpcHC setup. That thing broke my drivers, I alost had to reinstall windows. After uninstalling it, madVR and MPC HC kept crashing, even reinstalling them, erasing all registry entries did not fix it.

On NGU, I don't use it until the coil whine will maybe get a fix. I'm scared of why no game and nothing else causes coil whine, but madVR w/ NGU does, so I'll just use it after this gets solved...
Maybe you are only one but I had no problems with my 1060 +svp+mdvr+mpc-hc. I could not find anything on the internet indicating that there is a problem with pascal gpus
plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:30   #40667  |  Link
Scyna

Quote:
Also, just for the hell of it test madVR 0.87.21 & 0.87.0 which are the first revisions where NNEDI3 made an appearance in case any madVR code changes have affect on the output.
Hmm madvr 0.87.21 works fine for me. I swap back to the latest madvr and back to nnedi3 not working. So something with newer Madvr broke nnedi3?

Edit: nm 0.87.21 nnedi3 doesn't work. it just defaults to jinc if you turn on neddi3.

Last edited by Scyna; 24th November 2016 at 01:39.
Scyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:47   #40668  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
what?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:47   #40669  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyna View Post
It just defaults to jinc if you turn on neddi3.
Yeah those earlier versions were pretty broken, try the other two I posted, I'm not sure if this has ever worked for your setups but it's worth a shot..
Old 24th November 2016, 01:59   #40670  |  Link
Scyna

Quote:
Yeah those earlier versions were pretty broken, try the other two I posted, I'm not sure if this has ever worked for your setups but it's worth a shot..
yea same thing happens with both those versions.
Old 24th November 2016, 02:39   #40671  |  Link
Scyna

So after testing with ryrynz. It was Nvidia cuvid the culprit when you have it enabled in LAV video.
Old 24th November 2016, 02:41   #40672  |  Link
ryrynz

I've confirmed this on my 960 as well with it falling back to Jinc, it only happens when using 32 bit playback. Nice one Scyna.
Old 24th November 2016, 03:38   #40673  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:

try use NGU-low no coil whine on my cheap GTX 970 modded with 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 03:46   #40674  |  Link
Warner306

I finally had a chance to watch some crappy streaming content on Kodi. Can't say enough good things about NGU. SD looks HD. Who cares if it's pirated content.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 03:47   #40675  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
It's not something that can be fixed, it's related to the stress placed on the components and the vibration they create as a result of it, it's not overloading anything it's just not ideal design.
As a result you either give your card possibly more performance headroom (overclock) and see if that changes anything or just use another option that generates less stress. As advised above try the low setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Who cares if it's pirated content.
Old 24th November 2016, 04:59   #40676  |  Link
Scyna

I remember my old HD 5850 fan would make noise and I would take it apart and put wd40 and it would stay fine for a couple of months. I'm not sure if coil whine is the same problem I had though.
Old 24th November 2016, 07:30   #40677  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:

do you have dx11 enabled with v-sync?
how high are your queues?
Also try software decoding

On Sapphire 390 Nitro I actually see lower temps and twice as lower loads than NNDI3 even at 16. Also coil whine is usually brand disease Asus messes up every second generation, Gigabyte, EVGA on lower end models has it almost every time they cheap out on inductors(EVGA cheaped out on vrm several cards blew up).
It won't get solved, it is your videocard problem you probably do not play many demanding games to notice.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 07:47   #40678  |  Link
markanini

An issue like coil whine must be why I'm not compelled to buy expensive GPUs, that and unnecessarily loud cooling systems. I can only assume people are protective of their investment to blame MadVR on coil whine.

Last edited by markanini; 24th November 2016 at 08:09.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 09:33   #40679  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

These are my statistics with the new version of madvr. I hope they are of help.

2k to 4k upscaling

(hardware info: Core i7 6820HK, 32GB DDR4-3000Mhz, SSD 960 Pro, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1080 GAMING G1 OC GPU 2150Mhz/Mem 5622Mhz)

Guardians.of.the.Galaxy.2014.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.DTS-HD.MA.7.1.mkv (uncompressed)

File size: 31.2 GiB
Duration: 2 h 0 min
Overall bit rate mode: Variable
Overall bit rate: 37.0 Mb/s
Width: 1 920 pixels
Height: 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate mode: Constant
Frame rate: 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space: YUV
Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0

chroma upscaling NGU High
SuperRes Filter strength x 1
image doubling - double luma NGU High
image upscaling Jinc
Average 31,27 ms
Max 32,73 ms

chroma upscaling NGU Med
image doubling - double luma NGU Med
image upscaling Jinc
Average 14,10 ms
Max 15,17 ms

chroma upscaling NNEDI3 64
image doubling - double luma NNEDI3 128
image upscaling Jinc
Average 29,51 ms
Max 33,49 ms

image doubling - double luma NNEDI3 64
image upscaling Jinc
Average 20,16 ms
Max 23,76 ms

image doubling - double luma NGU high
image upscaling Jinc
Average 28,20 ms
Max 30,26 ms

chroma upscaling NGU high
image upscaling Jinc
Average 32,57 ms
Max 34,43 ms

chroma upscaling NGU med
image upscaling Jinc
Average 26,64 ms
Max 29,80 ms

all whitout any upscaling refinement...

Does anyone recommend me best settings for 2k to 4k upscaling of REMUX mkv files?

Thks!

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th November 2016 at 10:37.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 09:59   #40680  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma View Post
Maybe you are only one but I had no problems with my 1060 +svp+mdvr+mpc-hc. I could not find anything on the internet indicating that there is a problem with pascal gpus
Dig deeper, SVP team advises clearly to NOT install SVP with recent Nvidia drivers, they break the drivers, performance goes a lot down for the entire card.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2671

It's something that I found on an easy search after I had a few black screens, but it gets worse, it can cause GPU to disconnect and eventually break down - this is known by SVP team and has been for a while, but they did NOT fix it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
what?
See above, SVP is not to be used with Nvidia drivers.

Quote:
It's not something that can be fixed, it's related to the stress placed on the components and the vibration they create as a result of it, it's not overloading anything it's just not ideal design.
As a result you either give your card possibly more performance headroom (overclock) and see if that changes anything or just use another option that generates less stress. As advised above try the low setting.

Actually, this is one of the problems, I can play most games at super ultra mega resolutions and fps and quality settings, and there is no coil whine. I can play videos at NNEDI 256 and there is no coil whine. NGU causes coil whine even at low for me, and I've no idea why... I'm just scared of coil whine to be honest.

I'm going to be fair, NGU does not stress the GPU too much, it's only the coil whine that scares me. The algorithm is quite efficient actually.

I noticed a similar effect when applying very heavy FX on very large images (>8000x8000 pixels) in photoshop...

Will keep testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
do you have dx11 enabled with v-sync?
how high are your queues?
Also try software decoding

On Sapphire 390 Nitro I actually see lower temps and twice as lower loads than NNDI3 even at 16. Also coil whine is usually brand disease Asus messes up every second generation, Gigabyte, EVGA on lower end models has it almost every time they cheap out on inductors(EVGA cheaped out on vrm several cards blew up).
It won't get solved, it is your videocard problem you probably do not play many demanding games to notice.

Let's see, I will try playing with vSync and GSync - I usually have both turned off since they're a pain to see, maybe fast Vsync could fix the problem....

Queues are max possible, I think I have not tried software decoding yet, just to keep presenting times as low as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
An issue like coil whine must be why I'm not compelled to buy expensive GPUs, that and unnecessarily loud cooling systems. I can only assume people are protective of their investment to blame MadVR on coil whine.
It's only NGU and some really specific tasks that cause coil whine... A GPU is a tool made to be used to achieve something, if it fails achieveing it's purpose, it's not worth the bother. But at this rate, I don't want destroy-ing the GPU if I can avoid it. If only a specific task stresses the GPU in the way necessary to create coil whine, maybe that specific task is best to be avoided. Something like I fear it can break just a tiny piece on the GPU while it does not stress the GPU very bad...
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling