Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 1st May 2008, 07:07   #1281  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

Hey it works for me... an education for free is the way I see it...
Old 1st May 2008, 14:07   #1282  |  Link
mpiper

I'm not the best at understanding or explaining this, but I'll try: The reason for using multiples or exponents of 2 is based on 3 things:

1. Odd numbers tend to divide leaving remainders, which get rounded, causing "errors" or shifts. For example, a video that is 321X240 can crash Adobe's Media encoder if the wrong codec is used, but 320X240 or 322X240 both work fine. Many open source encoders can finish the encode through brute force, but if a brand name encoder can crash, should we use that resolution.
2. Exponents of 2 utilize the physical structure of memory better. Look at the range of colors in RGB, 0-255 = 256 total, a multiple of 2, and also an exponent. These settings aren't by accident. It's the easiest and most effective way to store binary data. 8 bits = 2 to the 8th power, which is 256. Any less and you waste bits, any more and you roll to using an entire second set of bits (8 of them) for the next level, which again wastes memory, since 2 sets of 8 = 2^16 = 65536. So using a number like 313 requires that enough space for 65536 be used, but leaves tons of empty space. That is why Photoshop uses 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit color spaces (I think).
3. What if the number you choose happenes to be a prime number? Most calculations done in encoding involve dividing data (Think about the 2X2, 4X4, etc. settings in filters, matrices, etc.) How do you divide a prime number?

Not sure if that made sense, since I barely understand the entire codec concept, especially matrices (mpeg1,2,4) and anything remotely related to h.264. And now that memory is cheap, I'm not sure how much the old binary exponents matter in efficient coding practices. But that's the best I can explain it.
mpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 20:16   #1283  |  Link
alchemy

Only recently discovered Ripbot264 and use it daily to covert videos for iphone. My only wish is I'd like to 480x320 (Native iPhone Res) added in size templates.That would really save some time. And the ability to save jobs list in sort of text based file, so I could edit same parameters (size/crop) to apply for multiple videos.

Hope it's not too much trouble.
Thanks in advance.

Bored SysAdmin Blog
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:59   #1284  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

You can edit the templates and save them as you wish you know...
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:03   #1285  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
I'm not the best at understanding or explaining this, but I'll try: The reason for using multiples or exponents of 2 is based on 3 things:

1. Odd numbers tend to divide leaving remainders, which get rounded, causing "errors" or shifts. For example, a video that is 321X240 can crash Adobe's Media encoder if the wrong codec is used, but 320X240 or 322X240 both work fine. Many open source encoders can finish the encode through brute force, but if a brand name encoder can crash, should we use that resolution.
2. Exponents of 2 utilize the physical structure of memory better. Look at the range of colors in RGB, 0-255 = 256 total, a multiple of 2, and also an exponent. These settings aren't by accident. It's the easiest and most effective way to store binary data. 8 bits = 2 to the 8th power, which is 256. Any less and you waste bits, any more and you roll to using an entire second set of bits (8 of them) for the next level, which again wastes memory, since 2 sets of 8 = 2^16 = 65536. So using a number like 313 requires that enough space for 65536 be used, but leaves tons of empty space. That is why Photoshop uses 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit color spaces (I think).
3. What if the number you choose happenes to be a prime number? Most calculations done in encoding involve dividing data (Think about the 2X2, 4X4, etc. settings in filters, matrices, etc.) How do you divide a prime number?

Not sure if that made sense, since I barely understand the entire codec concept, especially matrices (mpeg1,2,4) and anything remotely related to h.264. And now that memory is cheap, I'm not sure how much the old binary exponents matter in efficient coding practices. But that's the best I can explain it.

Yes I learned this in my first few months of Tech school...

I am now in Grphics art and disign... Just picked up video encoding as a half paced effort on my part to learn about all the different ideas about 3 years ago...
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:25   #1286  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Only recently discovered Ripbot264 and use it daily to covert videos for iphone. My only wish is I'd like to 480x320 (Native iPhone Res) added in size templates.That would really save some time. And the ability to save jobs list in sort of text based file, so I could edit same parameters (size/crop) to apply for multiple videos.

Hope it's not too much trouble.
Thanks in advance.
PSP has similar vertical resolution 480x272 (16:9 or 1.78) . iPhone has 480x320 (1.5). if your movie has 16:9 aspect ratio then You must use 480x272 resolution (PSP profile). If your source has 4:3 then you use iPod profile. Simple!

mpiper
2-pass and CQ mode = VBR so it doesn't matter if you use for example 1023 or 1024! You really like to complicate your life

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 2nd May 2008 at 09:27.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:33   #1287  |  Link
mpiper

Atak, you're probably right! I'm still very used to the older stuff (mjpeg was the video editing codec when I learned video editing, and miniDV didn't hit the market until 6 months after we started doing videos for my company.). So I just follow old habits.

Has anyone ever had any issues with the locks disc sizes in RipBot? i.e. the DVD4 and DVD9 ones? If they never go over the locked size, I may make life easier and use that. I'm just not sure how loose the variable rate is with x264, so I worry that a difficult encode might result in an oversized movie, which must be re-encoded to fit on a disc. (At 12-18 hours per movie, I'm not into repeats )

I have basically been using the lock to see the MAX bitrate that can be used for my movie, then rounding down to the nearest 1024 multiple, to allow for excess in the VBR. If the algorythms in your prog and x264 itself are tight enough to garrantee no oversizing, I'll use it for simplicity's sake.

BTW, a friend at work has been helping test the movies, and he wants to use your program, so I am writing a tutorial that includes installing, ripping, demuxing and then finally encoding. Writing it also is helping me bulletproof my process. RipBot264 is the featured program, so I'll post the finished product here at Doom9. (And I won't include my personal "quirks," only proper steps to garantee working movies.)
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:18   #1288  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Lock size does not work well only in one case. Blu-Ray Structure + DTS audio.
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:52   #1289  |  Link
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_Undone View Post
You can edit the templates and save them as you wish you know...
No, you can't, only x264 settings are part of profile. All setting of particular job stored in temp dir, if that's what you are referring to.

Quote:
PSP has similar vertical resolution 480x272 (16:9 or 1.78) . iPhone has 480x320 (1.5). if your movie has 16:9 aspect ratio then You must use 480x272 resolution (PSP profile). If your source has 4:3 then you use iPod profile. Simple!
Thanks, It'll do for now. I just thought there is easy way to add this in next version....
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:44   #1290  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

You can create new Profiles in the RipBot264\Profiles folder...

It really isnt all that complicated... use Notepad make a *.txt file change the *.txt extention to *.ini open the file with Notepad and add and change code inside... Very simple really
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:51   #1291  |  Link
survivant001

@Atak_Snajpera

I have here a audio track ac3 that I'm unable to convert correctly. I didn't install anything new. THe audio track don't ouput sound on the computer.. same thing on the PS3.

I'm not able to convert the audio track for the release of on group.. been two week in a row that I'm unable to convert there releases all the rest work perfectly

http://www.mediafire.com/?tz0blxwtp9e
survivant001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:11   #1292  |  Link
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_Undone View Post
You can create new Profiles in the RipBot264\Profiles folder...

It really isnt all that complicated... use Notepad make a *.txt file change the *.txt extention to *.ini open the file with Notepad and add and change code inside... Very simple really
Please tell me what exactly the parameter name which defines size and crop of video ? I can't seem to find documentation for Ripbot
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:33   #1293  |  Link
Discoboy

Hi Atak_Snajpera,

Any chance to include the insert chapter option from the Blu-ray tab in tsMuxer into RipBot264 in the next release?

Discoboy
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 19:30   #1294  |  Link
mikewt

Great program, just one little strange thing. When I use it on the computer with two monitors, RipBot opens on the second monitor, which I do not always have turned on. I can drag it to the first monitor, but when I click ADD, that also opens on the second monitor. I am using "extend my desktop" for the second monitor which is a DLP HDTV used for playing files. Is there any setting I can change to get Ribbot to open only on the first monitor?

Thanks
mikewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:08   #1295  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
@Atak_Snajpera

I have here a audio track ac3 that I'm unable to convert correctly. I didn't install anything new. THe audio track don't ouput sound on the computer.. same thing on the PS3.

I'm not able to convert the audio track for the release of on group.. been two week in a row that I'm unable to convert there releases all the rest work perfectly

http://www.mediafire.com/?tz0blxwtp9e
It's a bug in NicAudio plugin. I have temporary solution for you.
Replace these lines

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Dawidos\Documents\Delphi_Projects\RipBot264\tools\AviSynth plugins\NicAudio\NicAudio.dll")
audio=NicAC3Source("C:\Users\Dawidos\Desktop\smallville.s07e18_audio-001_Track1.ac3")

with following:

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Dawidos\Documents\Delphi_Projects\RipBot264\tools\AviSynth plugins\bassAudio\bassAudio.dll")
audio=bassaudioSource("C:\Users\Dawidos\Desktop\smallville.s07e18_audio-001_Track1.ac3")

or
audio=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Dawidos\Desktop\smallville.s07e18_audio-001_Track1.ac3")

Quote:
Great program, just one little strange thing. When I use it on the computer with two monitors, RipBot opens on the second monitor, which I do not always have turned on. I can drag it to the first monitor, but when I click ADD, that also opens on the second monitor. I am using "extend my desktop" for the second monitor which is a DLP HDTV used for playing files. Is there any setting I can change to get Ribbot to open only on the first monitor?

Thanks
Fixed in new version

Quote:
Any chance to include the insert chapter option from the Blu-ray tab in tsMuxer into RipBot264 in the next release?
Chapters are automatically added every 5 minutes in my personal 1.9.3 beta

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 3rd May 2008 at 21:10.
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:46   #1296  |  Link
jamd1

Just tried fantastic 4 blu-ray which has master dts audio (3.5gb just for 1 audio track lol) I tried making it to 640kbps .ac3 in the "blu-ray " option - but the sound is all garbage. Is there a way to properly compress the dts audio?
jamd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 00:09   #1297  |  Link
mpiper

Any chance we can get the newest version Atak? 1.9.3 beta sounds like fun!
Old 4th May 2008, 00:29   #1298  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Please tell me what exactly the parameter name which defines size and crop of video ? I can't seem to find documentation for Ripbot

The crop and and size are determined by the AVS script in your temp folder...
Old 4th May 2008, 03:52   #1299  |  Link
Discoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamd1 View Post
Just tried fantastic 4 blu-ray which has master dts audio (3.5gb just for 1 audio track lol) I tried making it to 640kbps .ac3 in the "blu-ray " option - but the sound is all garbage. Is there a way to properly compress the dts audio?
This because you have asked RipBot to encode the DTS-HD-MA track to AC3 640kpbs, you cannot do this as it needs to be converted into AC3. You have 2 options:
Leave the audio profile as x.x copy stream and the final project will have a DTS-HD-MA audio track. Although this will play in some older versions of PowerDVD and the latest version of WinDVD it will not play in the latest versions of PowerDVD or a standalone Blu-Ray player as you have not made a AVCHD disk to spec. You will get just sound and no video or the reverse or a unknown format type error come up.

The AVCHD spec does not support DTS audio tracks, only AC3 5.1 upto 640kbps or LCPM 7.1 upto 1.5mbps:

http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html

Demux the DTS audio track out, convert to AC3 with eac3to and remux AC3 audio track back and then feed this new .m2ts back into Ripbot

Regards,
Discoboy
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 08:32   #1300  |  Link
jamd1

Thanks for the help Discoboy. I still have the demuxed video.264 and job1---.dts files made by Ripbot . If i can make a .ac3 from the .dts I can probably figure out how to remux them together. I've looked into the the dos help file of eac3to which doesn't give any examples on how to convert a HD .dts to .ac3. If possible please could you give me the commandline to do this ? Thx again.
jamd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360