Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 23rd August 2018, 19:48   #22981  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I'm sorry if it has been asked before, but when using reclock should the "Auto A/V sync correction" be on or off?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:46   #22982  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You should basically never turn that off.
Old 24th August 2018, 08:39   #22983  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should basically never turn that off.
Thank you, sir.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 14:15   #22984  |  Link
mzso

Hello!

I have long standing choppy playback, framedrop issues with specific channels using different DVB software (ProgDVB and SmartDVB) the same streams are affected. In SmartDVB's case changing to Microsoft's decoder fully fixes the problems. When I use LAV the problem is only avoided when I use CUVID, with every other decoder option I get the butchered video. (But I want to use cpu decoding)
Playing back recorded streams with MPC or Potplayer doesn't show any issues, but playing back with SmartDVB does. (here are some samples: https://drive.google.com/open?id=122...Il-IZi_qOFzF6H )

I'm at a loss as to why this happens. And so far the SmartDVB dev seems to be also. Any ideas?

Last edited by mzso; 28th August 2018 at 14:18.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 20:56   #22985  |  Link
mkver

The two sports videos switch between frame-MBAFF and individiual fields; two fields are in one PES packet in the transport stream and share the same timecode (in other words, only every second field has a timecode of its own (and ffmpeg is unable to make timecodes up)). The National Geographic video meanwhile uses field coded video. Two fields share the same timecode, too, but the bitstream contains dpb_output_delay information so that ffmpeg can infer the missing timestamps. Given that LAV is based upon ffmpeg, it, too, can probably infer the timestamps. So it seems that the only thing that these three files have in common is that part of them is field-encoded which is the likely suspect.
The sports channels use MBAFF-frames when the video is quite static and switch to field-based encoding when not. Given that you said that this only happens when the picture is un-static this confirms my above hypothesis that it is somehow the field-based nature of the source.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 05:45   #22986  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
When I use LAV the problem is only avoided when I use CUVID, with every other decoder option I get the butchered video. (But I want to use cpu decoding)
What GPU?
This is strange because that would imply it's a video decoding problem, but you say using other splitter filters like MPC's or Potplayer's fix it.

I tried your samples with MediaPortal (which uses its own splitter for MPEG TS, not LAV) and an NVIDIA Pascal in DXVA2 copy-back, and playback is perfect.

Can you try forcing the use of SmartDVB's or ProgDVB's MPEG TS splitter filters in MPC or Potplayer to see if the problem happens too in that scenario?
Old 29th August 2018, 09:30   #22987  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
What GPU?
This is strange because that would imply it's a video decoding problem, but you say using other splitter filters like MPC's or Potplayer's fix it.

I tried your samples with MediaPortal (which uses its own splitter for MPEG TS, not LAV) and an NVIDIA Pascal in DXVA2 copy-back, and playback is perfect.

Can you try forcing the use of SmartDVB's or ProgDVB's MPEG TS splitter filters in MPC or Potplayer to see if the problem happens too in that scenario?
Actually I meant that I use LAV (splitter, video, audio) with both mediaplayers and that way the playback is fine.
But now I realize that SmartDVB doesn't use LAV splitter (the icon doesn't appear) so maybe it's the issue with pdvb/sdvb splitter and LAV.

(Not sure if I can use their splitters from other apps, but I'll have a look.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
So it seems that the only thing that these three files have in common is that part of them is field-encoded which is the likely suspect.
The sports channels use MBAFF-frames when the video is quite static and switch to field-based encoding when not. Given that you said that this only happens when the picture is un-static this confirms my above hypothesis that it is somehow the field-based nature of the source.
Interesting. Seems like it, that switching to MBAFF borks something.
(So, if you monitor that forum you might have commented there then.)
Old 29th August 2018, 11:08   #22988  |  Link
mkver

Actually, both your sports samples are always MBAFF. MBAFF allows two types of coded pictures: Coded fields and coded frames; the latter can be coded with field or frame macroblocks on a per-macroblock basis. If your content is interlaced, but fairly static, then it is advantageous to use MBAFF frames. So there is no switch to MBAFF. And in case of the National Geographic documentary, there are no coded frames at all, just fields. So if this sample is also acting weird, then it is not really the switch that is the culprit, but just the usage of coded fields.
PS: I don't monitor said forum, I just searched and read the thread you refered to.

[Edit]: If you don't use LAV Splitter then it might be that the splitter keeps the two fields in the same packet, while LAV Decoder expects the two fields to be in separate packets. You could test this by remuxing your National Geographic video with ffmpeg to another transport stream.
[Edit2]: But actually, if one uses a splitter different than LAV Splitter, then the decoder is supposed to parse the packets again.

Last edited by mkver; 29th August 2018 at 15:20.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:12   #22989  |  Link
mclingo

hi, could do with some help, just lost surround sound on my arctis 7 headset and I cant work out why, the odd thing is its only affecting LAV audio. If I play a surround test file I only get left and right audio front and front height, i get silence from all other channels, center, surround left and right, happens with DTS and Dolby.

if I play the same file with VLC it summs everything fine to stereo as it should.

happens in both MPC and MPC-BE regardless of whether i'm bitreaming or not, cant work it out at all.

Last edited by mclingo; 2nd September 2018 at 01:34.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:48   #22990  |  Link
mclingo

probably an issue with the latest firmware, i've logged a ticket with steelseries, just odd its a LAV issue only, windows media player and VLC are working fine.
Old 2nd September 2018, 05:32   #22991  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen from lav audio status.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:27   #22992  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
[Edit]: If you don't use LAV Splitter then it might be that the splitter keeps the two fields in the same packet, while LAV Decoder expects the two fields to be in separate packets. You could test this by remuxing your National Geographic video with ffmpeg to another transport stream.
[Edit2]: But actually, if one uses a splitter different than LAV Splitter, then the decoder is supposed to parse the packets again.
Hi!

So the conclusion of this is what?
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:30   #22993  |  Link
el Filou

You need to keep trying combinations of splitters and video decoders.
Did you try adding the SmartDVB/ProgDVB splitter in Preferred mode to MPC's external filters (you need to uncheck the MPEG TS internal source filter first) to see if the same happens?

As I said, your samples play just fine with MediaPortal's own TS splitter and LAV, so if they don't with SmartDVB/ProgDVB it may be a problem with their splitters.
The source for MediaPortal's TS splitter is here, if it's of any interest to the developers of SmartDVB/ProgDVB (open source license terms apply of course...)
https://github.com/MediaPortal/Media...sReader/source
(Edit: I tried attaching the .ax to the post so you can try it but it exceeds the file size limit even compressed in 7z. You can install MediaPortal 1 to try it, it registers the filter with the OS)

Last edited by el Filou; 2nd September 2018 at 12:43.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:47   #22994  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen from lav audio status.
Hi, what do you mean by lav audio status, which screen is this you want a shot of?

I think whats happening here is that windows is seeing the headphones as a 7.1 device correctly, the engineer3 sofware is then supposed to sum these channels into virtual 7.1 and then them to the headphones as a stereo feed as there are only two drivers, this bit is failing so i'm only getting the non summed audio, front stereo channels.
Old 2nd September 2018, 13:37   #22995  |  Link
huhn

you play a file with 7.1 audio.
you open the filter lav audio
you go to status.
Old 2nd September 2018, 13:49   #22996  |  Link
mclingo

ok, I hadnt realised. I was using MPC BE with MPC audio so no LAV status, this is what threw me, this also has the same problem so its not a LAV issue, again its odd though that VLC works fine.

I played it through MPC with external LAV filters and turned off bitstreaming so you can see the channels are full, just the headphones arent receiving them.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBigP5VZ9WlXROVpqJ62g
Old 2nd September 2018, 14:18   #22997  |  Link
huhn

it can now be assumed lavfilter has nothing todo with that.

so i will now point you out to the next part that can be the issue the audio renderer.

so feel free to make a thread about that.
Old 2nd September 2018, 14:22   #22998  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it can now be assumed lavfilter has nothing todo with that.

so i will now point you out to the next part that can be the issue the audio renderer.

so feel free to make a thread about that.
yeah, i'm going to wait to here back from steelseries first, hoping i can rollback the firmware or something, there are other issues with this headset and DTS mentioned on their reddit forum too so it must be connected to that.

cheers for your help.
Old 2nd September 2018, 15:12   #22999  |  Link
mclingo

found a workaround, if I enable mixing and set LAV to stereo LAV sums everything, not ideal but it will do for now.
Old 2nd September 2018, 17:14   #23000  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
You need to keep trying combinations of splitters and video decoders.
Did you try adding the SmartDVB/ProgDVB splitter in Preferred mode to MPC's external filters (you need to uncheck the MPEG TS internal source filter first) to see if the same happens?

As I said, your samples play just fine with MediaPortal's own TS splitter and LAV, so if they don't with SmartDVB/ProgDVB it may be a problem with their splitters.
The source for MediaPortal's TS splitter is here, if it's of any interest to the developers of SmartDVB/ProgDVB (open source license terms apply of course...)
https://github.com/MediaPortal/Media...sReader/source
(Edit: I tried attaching the .ax to the post so you can try it but it exceeds the file size limit even compressed in 7z. You can install MediaPortal 1 to try it, it registers the filter with the OS)
I can't seem to get MPC to use SmartDVB's filter (my best guess is that it's Smart AV Source Filter), but it would just keep on using the internal filter. (all source filters are unchecked in MPC)

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter