Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th January 2015, 11:37   #28041  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
I found that enabling the 3Dlut help with the color and gamma, but introduces a large number of artifacts when watching shows with large amounts of constant flat color for instance Anime (Sky, faces, buildings, ...), and close ups of faces. For now I have disabled it while looking for the cause and a solution.
I used the default which contained about 1800 samples to create the 3Dlut, I'm thinking of trying with more samples, but also wanted to ask is this expected?

Thanks,
ERIC
this should not happen (dithering is enabled right?). gamma & color is not used too right?

if you have a problem with your calibration results you may ask your question here:
: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...argyllcms.html
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 12:50   #28042  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what programs are running in the background when you try to use madVR?
the only potinal madVr bug i see here is that madVR stays at 60 hz and doesn't switch to 50 hz that's it. a simple screen from the OSD would have shown most of these issue.

refreshrate and FPS are 2 different things.

you just have to setup your TV correctly if you switch back from 60 HZ to something else like 50 hz and the picture looks strange that is a huge indicator you are using PC mode and your TV is leaving it.
In background: MPC-HC and WMC.
OSD: http://imgur.com/319PabC
I can't even understand if PC Mode is always enabled, or if it's only enabled (or actually disabled) when switching back from WMC.

Is here someone with a Samsung TV that can explain me how to see when this PC Mode is enabled?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 15:59   #28043  |  Link
egandt

Thanks for the responses, found something I was doing wrong, selected LCD and not Plasma for screen type. Also thanks for the link, however I'm using Calman for generating the 3Dlut, which is why we have seen the changes to the APIs lately. Using calman I can generate a 3Dlut directly and using thousands of data points, very cool actually.

I'm going to give it another try right now and see where I get.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 16:03   #28044  |  Link
huhn

this picture can help
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png
watch it unscaled @ 100 % zoom. without PC mode you shouldn't be able to see the 4:4:4.

i guess something is blocking madVR from switching to 50 hz. try it without any other program in the background.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:11   #28045  |  Link
vomanci

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
In background: MPC-HC and WMC.
Is here someone with a Samsung TV that can explain me how to see when this PC Mode is enabled?
In Samsung TV's, PC mode is available only at 60hz and when you select the HDMI (or the input you are using) to be called PC or rename it PC. The picture above should clear things up.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 08:58   #28046  |  Link
StinDaWg

I'm trying to play a 1080i29.97 H.264 video with force film mode and output at 23hz. madVR says cadence is 4:4:4:2 but it's just continuously repeating frames and stuttering. Sometimes if I skip back in the file it will start playing smoothly even though it says frames are repeating. I can IVTC it with tfm().tdecimate() to 23.976 and encode it with x264 and it plays perfect. Any suggestions? Is this a limitation of madVR not being able to play 4:4:4:2 correctly?

Last edited by StinDaWg; 19th January 2015 at 09:03.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 11:31   #28047  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I'm trying to play a 1080i29.97 H.264 video with force film mode and output at 23hz. madVR says cadence is 4:4:4:2 but it's just continuously repeating frames and stuttering. Sometimes if I skip back in the file it will start playing smoothly even though it says frames are repeating. I can IVTC it with tfm().tdecimate() to 23.976 and encode it with x264 and it plays perfect. Any suggestions? Is this a limitation of madVR not being able to play 4:4:4:2 correctly?
4:4:4:2 doesn't work AFAIK and this would be ~17.14 FPS something strange. to see what the files cadence is a ~30 sec sample is needed.

did you maybe mean 4:2:2:2 or 2:2:2:4? if yes this is already reported http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=201

Last edited by huhn; 19th January 2015 at 12:37. Reason: wow my math skills today... so bad
Old 19th January 2015, 14:59   #28048  |  Link
StinDaWg

Ya, I meant 4:2:2:2. Hmm, no action on that bug in 7 months. Hopefully it can be looked at eventually.
Old 19th January 2015, 19:50   #28049  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Ya, I meant 4:2:2:2. Hmm, no action on that bug in 7 months. Hopefully it can be looked at eventually.
he said something like it is not high on his "list" but sample are always welcome.
Old 19th January 2015, 19:55   #28050  |  Link
gebla

I am trying to set a 3dlut file to correct my display. I added my measurement values in the settings and pressed apply. Madvr asks if I want to downlaod and install yCMS now? I press yes download starts and madvr reports

Downloading yCMS failed.

How can I get yCMS installed? (windows 7 32bit)
gebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 20:29   #28051  |  Link
gebla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebla View Post
I am trying to set a 3dlut file to correct my display. I added my measurement values in the settings and pressed apply. Madvr asks if I want to downlaod and install yCMS now? I press yes download starts and madvr reports

Downloading yCMS failed.

How can I get yCMS installed? (windows 7 32bit)
OK I found out myself. I copied madvr into program files and installed it from there. However program file sis protected and therefore madvr could not install ycms. I changed location of madvr outside program files and it si working now
gebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 20:38   #28052  |  Link
huhn

you could try argyllCMS when your meter is supported: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...argyllcms.html

not an answer to your question sorry.
Old 20th January 2015, 06:13   #28053  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
he said something like it is not high on his "list" but sample are always welcome.
If he shows up here I'll provide a sample. No point doing it now as it might get looked over.
Old 20th January 2015, 17:56   #28054  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
this picture can help
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png
watch it unscaled @ 100 % zoom. without PC mode you shouldn't be able to see the 4:4:4.

i guess something is blocking madVR from switching to 50 hz. try it without any other program in the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vomanci View Post
In Samsung TV's, PC mode is available only at 60hz and when you select the HDMI (or the input you are using) to be called PC or rename it PC. The picture above should clear things up.
I've used that ChromaRes.png :
with Display at 59.9Hz I see only 444,
with MPC closed I glimpse 422 but definetely see 444,
at 50Hz (using the WMC/madVR bug) is like MPC closed,
at 50Hz (directly) like MPC closed,
at 23.9Hz like MPC closed.
Doesn't this mean with all the above Hz my TV is in PC Mode? And if it's so, why the image become more saturated switching back from WMC which take me from 59.9Hz to 50Hz?

Replying to huhn: without any program in background wtv files are still at 59.9Hz.
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 20:54   #28055  |  Link
panetesan2k6

Hi.

I want to test different upscaling methods and hardware combinations with 720p content up to 1080p and I'm in the need for some sharpness pattern in native 720p... I just can't find any, it's really odd.

My goal is to compare the upscaling results from MadVR with those from my TV. With some high bitrate files I prefer to set the desktop to 720p to lighten CPU workload, but I don't know how much quality I'm losing to this, with movies is very difficult to notice. With a sharpness patterns it would be easier.

Does anybody know where can I grab such a test video file?
panetesan2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:40   #28056  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by panetesan2k6 View Post
Hi.

I want to test different upscaling methods and hardware combinations with 720p content up to 1080p and I'm in the need for some sharpness pattern in native 720p... I just can't find any, it's really odd.

My goal is to compare the upscaling results from MadVR with those from my TV. With some high bitrate files I prefer to set the desktop to 720p to lighten CPU workload, but I don't know how much quality I'm losing to this, with movies is very difficult to notice. With a sharpness patterns it would be easier.

Does anybody know where can I grab such a test video file?
why should setting your desktop to 720 lighten your CPU workload?
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:57   #28057  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
It doesn't do that for me. It flickers for like 2 seconds (just like when starting a game) and then it's perfectly stable and not flickery at all.

But yes, it doesn't do anything since madVR is adjusting the framerate it sends based on the monitor refresh rate it reads...

Also, on my machine with two different GPUs (gtx 670 and gtx 970) it results in abnormal 100% GPU usage (only with video playback and madVR as a renderer) resulting in very low performance (insufficient for upscaling properly with jinc 3 for example). That's purely a G-Sync/madVR bug though, maybe it doesn't even happen with all driver versions. But it's not worth trying to fix it for reasons explained above.
And the same thing happens to me; terrible rendering performance when G-sync is enabled, ~12ms to ~40ms with G-sync.

I cannot reproduce flickering either.

Last edited by Asmodian; 22nd January 2015 at 09:00.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:45   #28058  |  Link
panetesan2k6

Quote:
why should setting your desktop to 720 lighten your CPU workload?
(Maybe I'm wrong, but I understand the process as follows)

Because I'm not using the GPU to upscale 720p to 1080p, but the renderer (madVR custom pixels shaders) and if I'm not wrong, that relays on the CPU, hence the sloppy playback and frame dropping that I get when upscaling to 1080p via custom pixels shaders, specially in high bitrate files.

So, in other words:

720p to 1080p performed by GPU: Smooth.
720p to 1080p performed by CPS (ie Lanczos 3 taps): Sloppy.

720p with no upscaling (720p desktop fed to TV that TV upscales to 1080 panel): Smooth.

Yes, I can get smooth playback with some options, but I would like to test the sharpness with each one of them.
panetesan2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:55   #28059  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Pixel Shaders run on the GPU.

And while reducing your resolution will result in less work for the renderer, it'll also cripple your performance, as the screen has to do the upscaling, in questionable quality at best..
You are better off using cheaper upscalers in madVR than letting your TV do it.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:47   #28060  |  Link
romulous

madshi: A small feature request. I know why you have done things this way, but please give an option to disable 'on top' for the madVR settings dialog. With it sitting on top of all other windows (and it has no minimise button either), it makes it more difficult to help other people with problems with madVR (for example, you open the options dialog to find the name of an option, and then want to type that name into an email - you can't until you then drag that window out of the way somewhere, and you have to do this each time you open it as it always opens in the middle of the screen).

Thanks!
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling