Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th November 2013, 12:48   #21021  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

AYUV is bad because EVR accepts AYUV, but it fails at properly processing it (its extremely slow, on some GPUs no image at all), so thats why YV24 is preferred for me. Not to mention that a decoder typically outputs planar video, and conversion to AYUV requires manual labor.
Old 29th November 2013, 15:07   #21022  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine.brisebard View Post
was able to decrease slightly number of dropped and delayed frames by changing those settings:
gpu queue 8 -> 10
backbuffers 4 -> 6
frames in advance 4 -> 6
I'd still recommend to try to make FSE mode work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
I tested AYUV and YV24. And I haven't seen advantages in YV24 processing speed.
Hmmmm... Wait a moment, YV24 does not have an SSE2 routine yet in madVR (except if the user activates DXVA2 scaling), that's my mistake. But YV24 is much more likely to get an SSE2 routine than AYUV in the future. Planar is much preferred here, because some current and future algorithms (e.g. fade in/out detection) work on the luma channel, only, and that's so much easier with planar formats.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 20:01   #21023  |  Link
cvrkuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Your log file indicates that the display mode is reported as 1080p24 when madVR starts rendering. And madVR knows that 24Hz is what you need, so it doesn't touch the display mode. Then madVR goes into fullscreen exclusive mode, telling Direct3D9 to use 24Hz. It seems that in your case Direct3D9 ignores madVR's wish and switches to 23.976Hz instead. That would be a bug in Windows/Direct3D9. I've already implemented some hacks to fix this problem with Intel GPUs, but it's possible that this fix doesn't work with AMD/NVidia GPUs, I'm not sure. Feel free to add a bug report to the madVR bug tracker about this problem, if there isn't one already. Maybe if I find some time I'll see if I can workaround the problem with AMD/NVidia GPUs, too. It's not a madVR bug, though, but a bug in Windows or Direct3D9 or in the GPU drivers. madVR clearly requests 24.000Hz, according to the log.
Thanks for answering my question. I hope, You'll find solution for this annoying thing.
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 23:08   #21024  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
What happens if you enable deband, but choose the same settings for both deband options? Does that also make the problem go away? Another question: What happens if you use Lanczos instead of Jinc? Does that make the problem go away?
I have no idea what's changed, but instead of using the shortcut key for toggling deband, I went into madvr processing options and set both to medium. I had not gone into those options before. If there's a difference somewhere, I don't know about it. But now the problem is gone, no matter what algorithm I use.

Thanks madshi.
Old 29th November 2013, 23:19   #21025  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
That are really weird(o) artifacts. Try increasing the GPU queue size, the number of backbuffers and the number of pre-presented frames. Also try deactivating the "render in a separate device" option (or however it was named). Does any of that help?
Thanks a lot. It happens on both my PC's (HD5670-GT240). Increasing backbuffers seems to do the trick, I'll test some more.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 23:19   #21026  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I have no idea what's changed, but instead of using the shortcut key for toggling deband, I went into madvr processing options and set both to medium. I had not gone into those options before. If there's a difference somewhere, I don't know about it. But now the problem is gone, no matter what algorithm I use.
So what happens if you go back and use different settings both those 2 deband options in the settings dialog again? Does the problem come back? If so, please create a debug log with frame drops in it, caused by those deband configuration, and upload it for me to look it somewhere (zipped, please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Thanks a lot. It happens on both my PC's (HD5670-GT240). Increasing backbuffers seems to do the trick, I'll test some more.
I guess I should check out how many buffers are needed and force them. Can you please double check how many backbuffers you need exactly for the problem to go away?
Old 29th November 2013, 23:42   #21027  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
So what happens if you go back and use different settings both those 2 deband options in the settings dialog again? Does the problem come back? If so, please create a debug log with frame drops in it, caused by those deband configuration, and upload it for me to look it somewhere (zipped, please).
Yes you are right, I set it to "low" then "medium" and now the problem is back.

Ok so I couldn't find a debug .ax in the madVRanotherTestBuild2.rar package. So I tried the one from 0.86.11 but that didn't seem to work properly as I got no dropped frames according to the debug OSD, even if the processing options are still there and set to "low" and "medium". Switching back to the madVRanotherTestBuild2 .ax makes the dropped frames appear again in the debug OSD.

Is there another way of getting this debug log now that I don't know of?

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2013, 00:25   #21028  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ah sorry, I forgot that I didn't upload a debug madVR.ax version. Will do that for the next test build (if there is one). Would be great to get a debug log then.
Old 30th November 2013, 16:37   #21029  |  Link
v0lt

@madshi
I have problems with YV16 in madVR. But it is not clear reason in decoder or renderer.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 17:44   #21030  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
That are really weird(o) artifacts. Try increasing the GPU queue size, the number of backbuffers and the number of pre-presented frames. Also try deactivating the "render in a separate device" option (or however it was named). Does any of that help?
I had some problems too with windowed mode and smooth motion, especially with complex videos (10bit 444 high bitrate...).
It was a good idea then to mess with the flush settings.
However, I can't recall if this was mostly regarding dropped frames (haven't watched videos in windowed mode for a long time).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:01   #21031  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Ah sorry, I forgot that I didn't upload a debug madVR.ax version. Will do that for the next test build (if there is one). Would be great to get a debug log then.
Hi madshi,

No worries. I'll be sure to provide it to you if you decided to release a new test build.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:21   #21032  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
I guess I should check out how many buffers are needed and force them. Can you please double check how many backbuffers you need exactly for the problem to go away?
Typically, the issue now refuses to show up again. I remember it disappearing immediately, by increasing backbuffers from 3 to 4 (windowed settings).
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:21   #21033  |  Link
annovif

Settings the level for the best quality in Bluray

Hi , i know that with an HTPC i've got to output in RGB (4:4:4) 0-255 for the best quality , and in the catalyst control panel i've setted it (RGB full). About the level I've got coreavc that can set the input level and the output level separately 0-255 or 16-235 . Now , i know that the Blu ray level is 16-235 , so i have setted the coreavc input level in 16-235 . About the output level i want coreavc untouch the signal level and i've setted it to 16-235 too .
In the final In madvr i've setted 0-255 . Is this all ok for the best quality? Or have i to set 0-255 madvr and coreavc too ?

Thank you, Fabio

Last edited by annovif; 3rd December 2013 at 17:34.
annovif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 00:57   #21034  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by annovif View Post
Hi , i know that with an HTPC i've got to output in RGB (4:4:4) 0-255 for the best quality , and in the catalyst control panel i've setted it (RGB full). About the level I've got coreavc that can set the input level and the output level separately 0-255 or 16-235 . Now , i know that the Blu ray level is 16-235 , so i have setted the coreavc input level in 16-235 . About the output level i want coreavc untouch the signal level and i've setted it to 16-235 too .
In the final In madvr i've setted 0-255 . Is this all ok for the best quality? Or have i to set 0-255 madvr and coreavc too ?

Thank you, Fabio
first of all what is your tv a lot of tvs can't handle 0-255
just test it.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

normally just let everything at default i don't use coreavc because i don't see a reason lav filter is totally fine for me.
there are settings like 0-255 16-235 too but they do nothing with a bd source except you change the output color spaces types too... and this should be the same with coreavc.

just leave your hands from those options and everything will run perfectly madvr gets untouched 16-235 nv12 and takes care of the rest
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 10:27   #21035  |  Link
dansrfe

Are there settings for changing the black/white levels in the settings dialog along with the keyboard shortcuts? Also, does changing them adjust the top and bottom of the gamma curve?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 13:35   #21036  |  Link
Prot

ask

may i ask is there any x64 release of this VR?
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 14:41   #21037  |  Link
PetitDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
may i ask.....?
No, you may not.

PetitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 17:20   #21038  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
any x64 release of this VR?
\madVR\madHcNet64.dll

but no, not anytime soon.

Last edited by leeperry; 4th December 2013 at 19:37.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 19:04   #21039  |  Link
Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
\madVR\madHcNet64.dll

but no, not anytime soon.
thx for the info,
i could not found that file in some versions, did it really pubed before? if so, please tell me the version num.

Last edited by Guest; 4th December 2013 at 19:07. Reason: 15
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 19:23   #21040  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
thx for the info,
i could not found that file in some versions, did it really pubed before? if so, please tell me the version num.
It's a joke. This file is needed only for some specific staff on 64-bit machines and no more.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling