Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2001, 23:31   #1  |  Link
qthesnake

Blade Runner Regular Version DVD

Hey People:

Does anybody know if there is a official DVD with the original version of Blade runner (NOT the Director's Cut) available? if so where could i find it? i tried amazon and ebay for some time now and NOTHING! i know Ridley Scott said he doen't want that version viewed any more, but i want to see it....!

any idea?
.. and i don't want a pirate version someone captured from VHS or something....

thanx!
Q.
qthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 00:57   #2  |  Link
prot0vision

Sorry, haven't seen one around...

I used to have it on VHS, but gave it to a friend (I think its a bit rare now).

To my knowledge, there are at least 3 versions:

- Original
- Original (European Cut, some extra shots of violence)
- Director's Cut

... plus the unofficial workprints, etc.

I still have the Criterion Original Cut on Laserdisk, and the Director's Cut.

Maybe EBay? (Watch out for sharks...)

prot0vision
prot0vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2001, 15:46   #3  |  Link
qthesnake

nobody knows?
qthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2001, 17:22   #4  |  Link
macdaddy

I think the only DVD that is released in the US is the director's cut...

Did you see the original version? It sucks. The studio said the film had too much silence in it, and they forced Harrison Ford to do the voive-over narration (against R. Scott's wishes). Ford did a shitty job on the voice-over INTENTIONALLY so the studio would be forced not to use it. The studio used the narration anyway. Other than that there is not too much difference between the film versions. This is the reason you do not see the version you are looking for. It is a substandard version of the film...

I believe that the theatrical version is available on laserdisc and/or VHS, so if you are desperate you could track one of these down and rip it (if you want to watch it in your home-theater). I think you are wasting your time-watch the director's cut again instead-there is alot of good stuff in there (it also shows off some bitchin' architecture in Los Angeles that many people-including Angelenos-don't know even exists)...
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2001, 19:32   #5  |  Link
AnitaPeterson

I personally enjoyed the original version much better than the director's cut. I believe the person who posted before me doesn't know what he's saying. There are no additional scenes with the city. Actually, the director's cut is shorter than the original version. Ford's weary narration adds to the film noir element in a way that the DC cannot compare. Also, one of the conditions imposed by Ford when he agreed to play the part was that his character would not turn out to be a Replicant. Of course, the DC 'apparently' hints at that (the unicorn dream being the key), but it does not specifically go in that direction, leaving the audience choose whatever they want. nevertheless, the groups that vociferously advocate the supremacy of the DC usually claim it's also clear Deckard is a Replicant. I prefer to follow the 'traditional' view, which is also closer to what the book described. The Replicant theory leaves the plot with more holes than it covers.

The dispute over the supremacy of the two versions has been raging on for a good while now, so I will not delve into it any further.

Personally, I'm getting ready to make a high quality Divx out of my Criterion Collection Laserdisc, which has the European cut on it, and I'll be watching that over the DC anytime.

Now if only I found a guide to compress the resulting MPEG files downloaded into the computer by FireWire into divx...
AnitaPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote