Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2017, 18:18   #45781  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
@dvd1

are you using profiles in rendering?
do you refer to this?

dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 18:22   #45782  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I'm on Windows 7, where can i learn about these? What means "treat 25p movies as 24p" etc.? Don't know what nomenclature are.
"treat 25p movies as 24p" means play 25p movies at 24p, slowing down the audio to match. Which nomenclature do you not know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
do you refer to this?
Yes. In "general settings" in your 1080p profile do you have D3D11 enabled?
Old 19th September 2017, 18:59   #45783  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
treat 25p movies as 24p (requires Reclock or VideoClock): [Disabled] Uses 24 Hz modes to display 25 fps content, it requires Reclock or VideoClock to slow down the audio to match.
hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work: [Disabled] A hack to Direct3D that enables true 24 and 60 Hz display modes in Windows 8.1 or 10 which are usually locked to 23.976 Hz and 59.940 Hz. May cause presentation queues to not fill.

I'm on Windows 7, where can i learn about these? What means "treat 25p movies as 24p" etc.? Don't know what nomenclature are.
24 fps source material that need to be presented on TV or on DVD in "50 Hz countries" are sped up to 25 fps to match, which makes the running time 4% shorter and the pitch of the soundtrack 4% higher.
Some "reclocking" software - originally invented to match the playback speed to the exact display refresh - can compensate for that by slowing those movies down back to their original 24 fps, more info here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/pal-speedup.41906/

The 24/60 fps hack is because by default when you're using HDMI and a definition that matches a TV standard like 1080p, Windows will use TV refresh rates which are really 23,976... and 59,94... fps, and some source material is badly mastered and encoded with exact 24 and 60 fps which means the frame rate won't match the refresh rate in that case. The hack is used to be able to play those files without dropping frames.
More info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...elected-settin
Old 19th September 2017, 19:12   #45784  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
"treat 25p movies as 24p" means play 25p movies at 24p, slowing down the audio to match. Which nomenclature do you not know?

What exacly a 25p movie is, etc. What i've to study to become a MadVR master? :P
And why i should/not should enable it?
Old 19th September 2017, 19:26   #45785  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
What i've to study to become a MadVR master? :P
You have to study all 2291 pages of this thread carefully to become a madVR master.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 20:13   #45786  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
What exacly a 25p movie is, etc. What i've to study to become a MadVR master? :P
And why i should/not should enable it?
A 25p movie is one with 25 progressive frames per second, just like a 24p movie is one with 24 progressive frames per second.

Often European releases of films are sped up to match their historical PAL 50i broadcast format and some people like to watch them at their native frame rate instead.

Also some NTSC displays do not support 25 or 50Hz but do support 24Hz so you can get judder free playback of 25p content without smooth motion by slowing it down to 24fps.

This is one of those options where if you don't know what it is for you probably don't want to use it.

Edit: Oops, el Filou beat me with a great answer.

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th September 2017 at 20:15.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 20:56   #45787  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
A 25p movie is one with 25 progressive frames per second, just like a 24p movie is one with 24 progressive frames per second.

Often European releases of films are sped up to match their historical PAL 50i broadcast format and some people like to watch them at their native frame rate instead.

Also some NTSC displays do not support 25 or 50Hz but do support 24Hz so you can get judder free playback of 25p content without smooth motion by slowing it down to 24fps.

This is one of those options where if you don't know what it is for you probably don't want to use it.

Edit: Oops, el Filou beat me with a great answer.
Thank you!

I followed your guide and i loved it :P

What you think of these settings? I'm on an Asus VC239H, config is in my signature.

Maybe i've to change something? I can post others settings if needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
24 fps source material that need to be presented on TV or on DVD in "50 Hz countries" are sped up to 25 fps to match, which makes the running time 4% shorter and the pitch of the soundtrack 4% higher.
Some "reclocking" software - originally invented to match the playback speed to the exact display refresh - can compensate for that by slowing those movies down back to their original 24 fps, more info here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/pal-speedup.41906/

The 24/60 fps hack is because by default when you're using HDMI and a definition that matches a TV standard like 1080p, Windows will use TV refresh rates which are really 23,976... and 59,94... fps, and some source material is badly mastered and encoded with exact 24 and 60 fps which means the frame rate won't match the refresh rate in that case. The hack is used to be able to play those files without dropping frames.
More info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...elected-settin
Thank you! Now it's really more clear!

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 19th September 2017 at 21:22.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 22:00   #45788  |  Link
pirlouy
_

lol @ all those ticked checkbox.
You know you can put link instead of using [IMG] ?
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 22:23   #45789  |  Link
ryrynz

At least nobody has requoted his entire post including images yet..

SuperRes 3 on NGU Sharp for Chroma.. You madman.
LOL at softening the edges on all that sharpening. I'm pretty sure he hasn't evaluated any of his settings.. Tick, tick, tick xD

Maybe madVR could issue a prompt when you tick more than four or five things there, "Are you sure you want to do this? It seems excessive"

Last edited by ryrynz; 19th September 2017 at 23:09.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 22:47   #45790  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
What you think of these settings? I'm on an Asus VC239H, config is in my signature.
As others mentioned, SuperRes and NGU do not go together, NGU is better without SuperRes.

Also that is a lot of sharpening, those are not more is better style options. Only use any of them if they are solving some image quality issue you can see. Evaluate different strengths too, much of the time less is more.

Maybe you can go up to NGU high for image upscaling if you use fewer upscaling refinements as well.

Otherwise it looks good.
Old 19th September 2017, 23:06   #45791  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Sorry, I should have used link instead of images.

No "Tick, tick, tick", i simply followed @Asmodian guide as a reference and now i'm testing these settings. If I had thought that these settings was totally ok, I would not have written here for suggestions.

MadVR noticed me to disable SuperRes in Upscaling Refinement if i use NGU, so i disabled.

It doesn't noticed me nothing about SuperRes in Chroma Up.

What should disable? Or change?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 19th September 2017 at 23:10.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 23:49   #45792  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:

yes, but on 1080p I do not have D3D11 but always D3D9
because?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 01:50   #45793  |  Link
SamuriHL

Well, I have to figure out what's going on in my setup now. 2D is fantastic quality. 3D, I'm getting a "ghosting" affect that I can't entirely explain. In the background I see a sort of ghost image in my 3D playback. Just tried to test it with Wonder Woman and wasn't able to quickly fix it. More testing needed apparently. I might even have to setup some profiles now. Anyone ever run into that issue and solved it? My basic setup is RBG Full, 10 bit color, 2.2 gamma, NGU AA High for Chroma. I attempted switching to NNEDI for Chroma and it made zero difference. I also switched LAV to D3D11 CB just to see if it made any change. Nada. Tried a 2.4 gamma and didn't impact the issue at all. Not really sure where the ghosting is coming from but it was distracting enough to make me switch players for the moment until I can figure it out.

UPDATE:

Ok, so, I had to change a few things and I was able to get a flawless 3D picture. I changed nVidia CP to RGB limited and 8 bcd, then changed madvr to limited and 8 bit color, as well. Then it worked fine. I'm not sure that limited is FULLY necessary and will do more testing later on that. I think the color depth is what caused the affect I was seeing. Very strange.

Last edited by SamuriHL; 20th September 2017 at 03:13.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 04:36   #45794  |  Link
el Filou

If you set both the graphics card output and madVR to Limited, normally you get a washed out video picture.
Old 20th September 2017, 04:56   #45795  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If you set both the graphics card output and madVR to Limited, normally you get a washed out video picture.
Yes, normally I'd agree. In this case, however, I don't. My TV is capable of both full and limited and for whatever reason I have to use limited on 3D. That complicates things a bit for me but I'm not unhappy with the PQ I'm getting from 2D and 3D content set to limited in both madvr and the nVidia CP at this point. I may stop messing with it for now. LOL. I never really had too many issues with full in the past, but, for whatever reason I can't get it to look right in 3D with my new 1060. I just recalibrated the plasma screen (it'd been a while) and man what a sight to behold. I'm very pleased right now. As I said, time to leave it alone for now.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:15   #45796  |  Link
Asmodian

Limited in the GPU or limited in madVR is fine, it is limited in both that is wrong. You get double range compression, madVR sends 16-235 to the GPU and the GPU compresses that again assuming it is full range. It may be an acceptable hack to get your 3D looking better but it isn't correct no matter what settings your TV has.

If you need this double compression to get an image without "ghosting" you are probably getting 3D crosstalk in shadows, a common problem with TVs with pixel response times that are a little too slow for 3D.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:48   #45797  |  Link
peca89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
I connected one cable to the TV and another to the AVR. is there any way to just send only audio? Because in Window appears a third screen (Avr connection) that if it turned off I can not send only sound to Avr.
Technically it is not possible to send HDMI audio without video, as audio is multiplexed within blank video lines between frames. Theoretically, video card could generate dummy black video signal and not present it to OS as second monitor, but I have not seen video driver that is able to do that. Meanwhile, you could clone your displays (if AVR supports 4k signal) or extend it and set secondary monitor to lower resolution.

I can confirm this setup works with GT 1030. My non-4k-capable AVR is connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable as secondary extended monitor and main HDMI 2.0 is connected directly to 4k TV. OS actually sees two sound cards and I just set DVI output as the default one. DTSHD and Dolby TrueHD passthrough work fine. The only downside is that GPU always stays in a bit higher power state when idling because of different clock rates on two display outputs.
peca89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:24   #45798  |  Link
mrmojo666

same here, primary desktop directly to tv 4k via hdmi 2.0 and extendend 1080 desktop to AVR for audio. no problem at all except i lost CEC to change AVR to the correct input.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:27   #45799  |  Link
Jasch

Hi, has anyone HDR with Polaris (RX4x0) working, with madvr automatic?
If yes, can you plz share your config.

Amd Driver Version and Settings
Lav version and Settings
MadVR Version and settings
used Player

Thx
Jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 11:05   #45800  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
Hi, has anyone HDR with Polaris (RX4x0) working, with madvr automatic?
If yes, can you plz share your config.

Amd Driver Version and Settings
Lav version and Settings
MadVR Version and settings
used Player

Thx
I don't think you can find someone, seems it is a lack of win10 hdr api. if someone have different information please tells us

Last edited by mrmojo666; 20th September 2017 at 13:10.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling