Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd April 2014, 06:18   #25581  |  Link
trip_let

HD 4000 / 650M Optimus here. Driver is 335.23, Win 8.1.

I get the dark screen + increased GPU usage for NNEDI3 enabled except on madVRoptimus2, which disables NNEDI3 (fails silently and doesn't use it at all). Well drat, same no-go as before, not like I'm expecting Nvidia to fix things any time soon. For what it's worth, I don't think (most?) Optimus users reporting in here actually have the GTX 780M or whatever that can actually handle NNEDI3, so it's not a huge loss.

Last edited by trip_let; 2nd April 2014 at 06:20.
trip_let is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:45   #25582  |  Link
bxyhxyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not enough information. Which format is the source encoded in? h264 4:2:0 8bit? Or something else? Which video decoder are you using? Why do you test with YV12, YV16 and YV24?

You should probably double check the decoding matrix. Try switching it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M multiple times. Does that change anything?
It is same for all my bluray rips which is 720p, YV12 and YV16 colorspace videos.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M helps.
It is choosing BT.601 as "correct" matrix.
bxyhxyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:57   #25583  |  Link
Audionut

Thanks guys for the discussion regarding profiles. I worked out how to do manual switching of profiles, but obviously, scripting is much better.

@madshi, perhaps you can add this screenshot from truexfan81 above (or similar), into post 3 of this thread. Everything made sense after looking at that single screenshot.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:44   #25584  |  Link
John Carmack

Strange rendering stats

Today, I reinstalled Win7 and (obviously) MPC-HC, MadVR and all the cream. But I don't remember something: when using smooth motion with Hi10p content, I can get like 1 dropped frame AND presentation glitch per second even if my rendering times are between 5 and 10 ms. Using an AMD r9 280X with the 13.12 drivers and a FX8350 (I verified, none of those are getting overloaded during the playback). Does someone have an idea of what could trigger this? Oh, and Madshi, wonderful software, thank you for your dedication.
John Carmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:27   #25585  |  Link
DragonQ

So I installed an AMD R9 270 and I'm confused. When I enable NNEDI3, the stats window stops displaying average and max stats, and the image is very choppy and no longer deinterlaced, even with 16 neurons. GPU usage shoots up but is not always 100%. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:37   #25586  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Thanks guys for the discussion regarding profiles. I worked out how to do manual switching of profiles, but obviously, scripting is much better.

@madshi, perhaps you can add this screenshot from truexfan81 above (or similar), into post 3 of this thread. Everything made sense after looking at that single screenshot.
Have you looked at the online Help in madVR? It also has a sample script.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:33   #25587  |  Link
mirkosp

RGB24 and RGB32 inputs with an odd height result in a black video. RGB48 and Y410 with odd height work as expected.
mirkosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:37   #25588  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
So I installed an AMD R9 270 and I'm confused. When I enable NNEDI3, the stats window stops displaying average and max stats, and the image is very choppy and no longer deinterlaced, even with 16 neurons. GPU usage shoots up but is not always 100%. Am I doing something wrong?
I get the stats not to display when rendering time was up through the roof, you need to dial it down quite a lot.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:40   #25589  |  Link
DragonQ

Quite a lot from what? NNEDI3 16 neurons is the lowest possible to test. For downscaling I'm just using CR + AR, nothing fancy. :/
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:51   #25590  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Quite a lot from what? NNEDI3 16 neurons is the lowest possible to test. For downscaling I'm just using CR + AR, nothing fancy. :/
Which version are you using? the fixed "b" build I hope, and not the latest "official" release?
Hope madshi has a new official release soon to avoid these questions.
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:13   #25591  |  Link
seiyafan

Well, I wasn't sure which resolution you use. But for me when I did 1080 -> 1440 upscaling on my 270x I couldn't get NNEDI3 to work without dropping frame on some of my videos, so the solution to those stubborn videos was simple, (1.) turn NNEDI3 off, or (2.) upgrade video card.

I did end up with a 290x and I could use NNEDI3 all I wanted , but I returned it later for some other reasons.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:14   #25592  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Which version are you using? the fixed "b" build I hope, and not the latest "official" release?
Hope madshi has a new official release soon to avoid these questions.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I installed 0.87.8b and missed 0.87.8. Will double-check that when I get home because I use MadVR on 3 machines...it's tough to keep track of which versions are on which machines!
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:29   #25593  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
That may be the case. Especially since it appeared I could set everything NNEDI3 to 256 neurons in all areas when configured to use the Nvidia and not see any dropped frames (leading me to believe perhaps it isn't running).

How can I judge based on render times?
The render times don't appear to be any different from when I run in any of the other upscaling or doubling formats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerpapi View Post
Yea I too thought it was working until I checked the rendering times and noticed they were the same when I wasn't using any nnedi3 features. So I guess they are just disabled. Maybe somebody else with an optimus system can double check that however?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Very dark screen with either version once NNEDI3 enabled. I have HD 4000 with a NV 640m Optimus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_let View Post
HD 4000 / 650M Optimus here. Driver is 335.23, Win 8.1.

I get the dark screen + increased GPU usage for NNEDI3 enabled except on madVRoptimus2, which disables NNEDI3 (fails silently and doesn't use it at all). Well drat, same no-go as before, not like I'm expecting Nvidia to fix things any time soon. For what it's worth, I don't think (most?) Optimus users reporting in here actually have the GTX 780M or whatever that can actually handle NNEDI3, so it's not a huge loss.
Lots of Optimus users here. The next build (v0.87.9) will contain a new feature which might help you, or maybe not. Give it a try.

If you want to know whether NNEDI3 is enabled, set it to 256 neurons. If the rendering times don't change much then when you enable/disable NNEDI3, then it's definitely not working. Rendering times with 256 neurons should go through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
madshi I have a suggestion, it would be awesome to have the ability to import and export profiles and settings to/from a file. It would be nice to be able to back those up.
Just copy the settings.bin file. In order to go back to a stored settings.bin file, first run "restore default settings.bat", then copy the stored settings.bin file into the madVR folder. For any of this to work, madVR requires write access to its own folder. If you don't want to give madVR write access to its own folder, open regedit, browse to "HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR" and export to a reg file. Then when you later want to go back, again first run "restore default settings.bat", then double click the saved reg file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxyhxyh View Post
It is same for all my bluray rips which is 720p, YV12 and YV16 colorspace videos.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M helps.
It is choosing BT.601 as "correct" matrix.
Two questions:

(1) Which decoder are you using?
(2) Is the decoder matrix stored in the video bitstream headers?

Generally a 720p file with BT.601 is "weird". Such a file usually uses BT.709, and that's what madVR uses by default for such files, unless the file is encoded with the information that it needs BT.601.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack View Post
Today, I reinstalled Win7 and (obviously) MPC-HC, MadVR and all the cream. But I don't remember something: when using smooth motion with Hi10p content, I can get like 1 dropped frame AND presentation glitch per second even if my rendering times are between 5 and 10 ms. Using an AMD r9 280X with the 13.12 drivers and a FX8350 (I verified, none of those are getting overloaded during the playback). Does someone have an idea of what could trigger this? Oh, and Madshi, wonderful software, thank you for your dedication.
Try increasing the GPU queue size and the number of pre-presented frames for exclusive mode. Smooth motion FRC benefits from bigger queues.

Quote:
Which PCIe version does your mainboard have? PCIe 1.x is quite slow and results in very slow OpenCL <-> Direct3D9 interop performance.

Which video resolution did you test with? Start with an SD file, just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkosp View Post
RGB24 and RGB32 inputs with an odd height result in a black video. RGB48 and Y410 with odd height work as expected.
This will be fixed in the next build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:36   #25594  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.87.9 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: NNEDI3 didn't work properly on AMD/Intel (introduced in v0.87.8)
* fixed: native DXVA decoding + NNEDI3 chroma up + NVidia -> green color cast
* fixed: #032: Smooth Motion FRC sometimes failed to activate
* fixed: #096: Smooth Motion FRC resulted in last/only frame being hidden
* fixed: #097: Smooth Motion FRC didn't respect "treat 25p movies as 24p"
* fixed: #098: "Treat 25p movies as 24p" now only activates up to 25.5fps
* fixed: #104: "Delay playback until ..." failed when toggling subtitles
* fixed: #113: film mode key shortcut didn't enable Smooth Motion FRC
* fixed: #124: videoLUTs were not properly restored in multi monitor setup
* fixed: #132: Image corruption when leaving FSE with 3dlut loaded
* fixed: #171: film mode activation with display mode change could crash
* fixed: #178: RGB/YUV 4:4:4 with mod2 height showed black screen
* fixed: #182: NNEDI3 chroma up neuron count wasn't properly memorized
* fixed: #187: switching subtitles triggered a short black screen
* fixed: #189: Smooth Motion FRC sometimes activated when not needed
* NNEDI3 no longer offsets by 0.5 pixel if Luma needs to be resampled, anyway
* added "HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL\forceVendor" override option
* modified madLevelsTweaker GUI to make intended multi monitor usage clearer
The bug tracker is now mostly cleaned up. Some bugs are marked as "acknowledged". These are either not very important/urgent, or difficult to fix. I'll fix those at some point in the future, but not soon. Some bugs are marked as "feedback". If you have open bugs in the bug tracker, please double check if any of them are marked as "feedback" and make sure you reply there. Thanks.

There's one new (hidden) feature which may help Optimus users: You can now force madVR to use a specific GPU vendor for OpenCL rendering. You can do this by manually adding the following registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL\forceVendor REG_SZ "nVidia"

Alternatively you can also use "AMD" or "Intel", of course, which will force madVR to use the specified vendor for OpenCL rendering. Of course telling madVR to use a specific vendor does not guarantee that doing so will actually work, but madVR will try. If it fails, NNEDI3 will silently be disabled.

Last edited by madshi; 2nd April 2014 at 22:40.
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:45   #25595  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
If you want to know whether NNEDI3 is enabled, set it to 256 neurons. If the rendering times don't change much then when you enable/disable NNEDI3, then it's definitely not working. Rendering times with 256 neurons should go through the roof.
Isn't there any more convenient method to determine if something is enabled or had silently fallen back to something else? I mean doesn't madVR report it any way? Like it can make options red or grayed out if they do not work or something with annotation to explain.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:48   #25596  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It's not that easy. The same settings may work on monitor 1 but not on monitor 2, if the two monitors are driven by different GPUs. So I can't just make things red in the settings dialog. However, madVR could show some sort of OSD complaint, I guess, if an enabled setting doesn't work.
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:57   #25597  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Frame rates also play a big role in maximizing GPU usage.

Here is a sample of mine (still a work in progress as I add profiles depending on source res/fps)
Oh, very nice! But pretty much all 1.78 720p25 files allow me to go 64x neurons for luma, all queues fill in instantly....OTOH there are 1.78 720p24 movies that don't fill the queues at all, but 1.85 720p24 always does. I'm using software decoding so I don't really understand why, all this to say that I can't really make rules at this point as I usually try 64x and should it drop frames I revert to 32x. I can always use 64x for SD.

I could provide samples should madshi want to investigate but I'm more than likely experiencing the random interop lag

I'm still extremely impressed by pictures viewing with 256 neurons for chroma/luma, I guess a few years from now we'll be able to go crazy on NNEDI settings with motion pictures....hopefully nvidia will become a viable option as that random lag with AMD is unacceptable.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:59   #25598  |  Link
flashmozzg

Yep, that would be good. Because with, for example, dithering it's nearly impossible to tell if it works on normal videos without any alert if you haven't followed the discussion int this thread.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:05   #25599  |  Link
sandman7920

In latest build (0.87.9) nod32 detect madHcCtrl.exe as a threat.

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip » ZIP » madHcCtrl.exe probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus
sandman7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:20   #25600  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Which PCIe version does your mainboard have? PCIe 1.x is quite slow and results in very slow OpenCL <-> Direct3D9 interop performance.
It's an Asus P6T Deluxe V2, so PCI-E 2.0.

Quote:
Which video resolution did you test with? Start with an SD file, just to be safe.
Yes, I was using a 720x576i/25 file.

I'll try 0.87.9 in a minute.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling