Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 17th January 2003, 19:58   #1  |  Link
Aqua

Differens between XviD codecs?

Hi! I am sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it so I will ask it anyway.

I want to know what the differens is between the different XviD codecs? (Nic's binary, Koepi's stable binary and Koepi's unstable binary).

Question nr 2: What is the differens between the two Koepi binaries?

Thanks in advance.
Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 20:05   #2  |  Link
NuclearFusi0n

Koepi stable = october 4, no chroma ME, no GMC, no bframes, no qpel...but it's totally stable

Koepi developer = all the cutting edge features, but it's not always stable, not always MPEG-4 compliant, might have bugs, etc.
NuclearFusi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 20:55   #3  |  Link
Sigmatador

another question (don't need a new thread i think)

is the reference's divx new lumimasking code will be submit to the XviD CVS, because it's very powerfull and Koepi doesn't build enough fast ( the evolution of Qpel & GMC features are increasing ^^ and i want the both )
Old 17th January 2003, 20:56   #4  |  Link
Koepi

Nic = some devel snapshots which should be at least reliable in enocding, run on <pII/duron/athlon
uManiac: always the latest CVS, not speed optimized via compiler, always the cutting edge bugs - but as well the bugfixes some hours later as well

My builds usually include some extra code which isn't in CVS.

Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 21:15   #5  |  Link
Sigmatador

yep! your build is the fastest on my xp2000+ (and have the new lumimasking code )

but with a recent test, umaniacs build b-frames+qpel provides more details than umaniacs (or yours) b-frames only (on monster&cie) and no artefact
Old 20th January 2003, 05:53   #6  |  Link
chilledinsanity

Maybe it's just me, but I downloaded the latest stable Koepi build a couple of weeks ago and it made my encoded Xvid movies look like crap. The color was bleeding, trailing behind the people, it was painfully obvious where the keyframes were and the compression overall was pretty obvious. I've been using the other one (nic's?) and at the bitrates I'm encoding at, it's indistinguishable from the actual DVD. Oh by the way, this is in no offense to the actual author, just stating my experience with it.
chilledinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 07:30   #7  |  Link
Koepi

ALWAYS hit "load defaults" after installing a new/different build.

Cheers.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 10:35   #8  |  Link
chilledinsanity

I'll do that and let you know what happens. I kind of suspected there was something fishy going seeing how this was a major build in the world of Xvid
chilledinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote