Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 3rd July 2009, 17:01   #1  |  Link
Daiz

DSS2() lossless woes

So I installed Windows 7 RC a couple days ago, running Windows 7 Beta before that. Today I started encoding things for the first time in RC and as per usual I encode a lossless H.264 MKV from my input before doing the final encode. I use x264 to encode it and output directly to an MKV file. So far I've used DSS2() (with CoreAVC as the decoder) to input the lossless file to x264 for the final encode, but now I'm facing an error - Can't open file 80004005. This happens with all lossless H.264 MKV files I tried. It opens my final encodes (which are also x264 encodes outputted to MKV) just fine. Lossless files fail to load even if I use ffdshow as the decoder or remux the x264-produced MKV with mkvmerge.

Now, FFVideoSource manages to load the lossless source, but I'd rather keep using DSS2 with CoreAVC since it provides faster input speeds. The Haali Media Splitter version I'm using is 1.9.42.1.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem and how to get rid of it?
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:09   #2  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Starting from RC, Win7 overrides 3rd party directshow filters with its own (crappy?) decoders. And microsoft h264 decoder probably doesn't support lossless streams. Search forum for registry tweaks or clsid's tool
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:09   #3  |  Link
Reuf Toc

I suspect microsoft H264 decoder to be used instead of CoreAVC (and microsoft decoder doesn't support lossless h264 IIRC)

Try to built a graph yourself to see if it's the problem.

And I might be wrong but it seems there was multiple topic about this problem. Try to search, maybe an answer was already given.
Reuf Toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:17   #4  |  Link
Daiz

I indeed know about the lockdown problem in Win7, but as far as I recall Microsoft's filters are only forced for MP4 files, while with Haali Media Splitter whatever you want will be used, eg. CoreAVC, and since DSS2() is basically HMS as a AviSynth plugin, I thought it would default to using CoreAVC.

In any case, I'll try looking into registry tweaking. Hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: Dropping a lossless file into GraphStudio resulted in Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder being used. Looks like Microsoft's filters are indeed force-used.

EDIT2: clsid's registry tweaker had no effect on the result. Building a graph with GraphStudio (source -> CoreAVC) and then loading the graph with DirectShowSource() worked, but I'd rather not do this manually each time.

Last edited by Daiz; 3rd July 2009 at 17:31.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:41   #5  |  Link
Daiz

Okay, after reading the topic about clsid's tool I found out that I had to give write permissions to a registry setting in order for clsid's tool to work, and now the problem has been fixed. Thanks for the help!
Old 7th August 2009, 06:07   #6  |  Link
henryho_hk

Which registry setting is it?
henryho_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 07:00   #7  |  Link
Gokumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Starting from RC, Win7 overrides 3rd party directshow filters with its own (crappy?) decoders.
I've been running the Win 7 RC for months and it has never done any such thing. You are confusing this with WMP preferring to use Microsoft decoders because of the new Media Foundation framework.
Old 7th August 2009, 08:43   #8  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryho_hk View Post
Which registry setting is it?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1287317

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 14:10   #9  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokumon View Post
You are confusing this with WMP preferring to use Microsoft decoders because of the new Media Foundation framework.
No I'm not. In addition to Media Foundation in WMP, Microsoft directshow filters forced for many formats everywhere else. For example MPC-HC has its own graph creation mechanism so this is not affect him, but avisynth and other things are affected.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote