Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 26th June 2012, 17:35   #961  |  Link
eTiMaGo

Yep, is there a newer one? couldn't seem to find it
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 17:40   #962  |  Link
SassBot

No, the person who pointed it out said either to use an older version like 2.06 or you just use that other post's advice and see if you have a tiny blank cell and you want to uncheck it.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:43   #963  |  Link
SassBot

Hmmm, interestingly enough it can read the IDX/SUB just fine even with the negative timestamps just by getting rid of the timestamp can't be less than 0 check. It will then even write out the IDX file with the proper positive timestamps when you export. So it looks like that error check wasn't correct.

Edit to add: Scratch that it wasn't outputting the timestamps correctly. It was just adding 5 seconds each time to give it positive timestamps.

Last edited by SassBot; 26th June 2012 at 17:47.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:44   #964  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
A DVD subtitle is always 720 pix wide (less a few pixels), regardless of the resolution of the video. However, its height can change (576 or 480). I don't know if you can retrieve the correct height in the SUP, but again, you can probably assume that if there are no subtitles below 480, then it's NTSC stuff.
DVDs format specs-

NTSC:
720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)

PAL:
720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 18:14   #965  |  Link
SassBot

Another question just to address the negative timestamp issue. I'm wondering if instead of error out if I should just let it read the IDX and then pop up a dialog warning the user that the timestamps are negative and they need to apply a delay to correct the issue. Does that seem okay? The file is valid other than the timestamps just need to be offset by the movie length.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:23   #966  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@DoctorM: You gave the video resolutions. The subpics are totally different. It's why there are several subpictures for the 16:9 format (wide, letterbox, pan & scan). The subpic are applied by the player after the resize of the video to 720x480/576, and are therefore not related to the original resolution.

@SassBot: Good idea.

Last edited by r0lZ; 26th June 2012 at 18:25.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 14:33   #967  |  Link
SassBot

Ok, so I've finished the fixes for the problems brought up yesterday. It no longer crashes on that original bad IDX/SUB pair, it will prompt you to apply a delay for the case of negative timestamps (and will error if you try to exit the conversion settings without setting one that makes the timestamps positive), and when it comes to loading a SUP with no file have a matching IFO name it will first try to load it as a DVD SUP and if that fails it will load it as an HD DVD SUP.

There will be issues with having no IFO to go with the SUP in the case of DVD SUP files. It will automatically assume 720x576 resolution and 25fps and the palette will use the default palette. The reason I can not reliably detect whether it's PAL or NTSC is that SUP files exported by BDSup2Sub (even if you apply no changes) have subpictures that are not the same size as the original subpictures. In what I'm guessing was a way to optimize output, BDSup2Sub only outputs a cropped version of the original subpicture and just modifies the X, Y position when creating the SUP frame so that it doesn't appear upon playback that the subpicture has changed. This means that SUP files straight from a DVD can be detected okay, but those that have already been run through BDSup2Sub will have wildly varying frame size info.

This means that if you load a DVD SUP file with no IFO and it's not PAL, you need to make sure in the conversion settings that you at least set the source and target frame rates to the proper NTSC values otherwise you'll get subtitles with a timing shift. You will also need to tell it the proper output resolution in case you do want NTSC output. Also, you will probably need to modify the imported DVD palette since there is no palette info without the IFO and the default palette will most likely yield results you won't like.

Lastly, I fixed a bug in the dialogs for editing the default/imported palettes that was causing the color icons to not properly update (they were invisible) if you imported a saved palette file.

New version to test is here.
Old 27th June 2012, 15:03   #968  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassBot View Post
The reason I can not reliably detect whether it's PAL or NTSC is that SUP files exported by BDSup2Sub (even if you apply no changes) have subpictures that are not the same size as the original subpictures. In what I'm guessing was a way to optimize output, BDSup2Sub only outputs a cropped version of the original subpicture and just modifies the X, Y position when creating the SUP frame so that it doesn't appear upon playback that the subpicture has changed. This means that SUP files straight from a DVD can be detected okay, but those that have already been run through BDSup2Sub will have wildly varying frame size info.
Note that cropped subpictures can also be present in the original DVD. Although most commercial DVDs have full-size subpictures, cropped subpics are also common.

IMO, BDSup2Sub crops them because it's necessary if the user wants to move the subpic up or to the left, as the offsets cannot be negative. (Moving a full-size subpic down or to the right is OK, even if a part of the background is outside the viewable area, but of course, without cropping it, it is difficult to know if it will be entirely visible.)
BTW, DVDSubEdit has also an option to crop the subpics, for the same reason.

Perhaps you could try to determine if a DVD stream is PAL or NTSC by adding the height of the cropped subpic to the Y offset. If the bottom border of at least one subpic is below 480, then you can safely assume PAL. Unfortunately, it will never be certain that a subpic comes really from a NTSC DVD, if, for example, all subpics are on the top of the screen.

Anyway, the possibility to specify manually the video standard is important. (Not sure you did it already, but that option must be also available from the command line.)
Old 27th June 2012, 15:17   #969  |  Link
SassBot

For now I'm just going to leave it up to the user to set the values since any detection code seems to be more prone to error than it will be worth to write. And, yes, all those values for resolution, fps, palette file are available by switches and have been from as far back as I've used the program.
Old 27th June 2012, 15:37   #970  |  Link
SassBot

I just realized I forgot to put in the dialog to ask for the IFO file if a SUP file is loaded. Also, I've added in a warning that will show up in the GUI log and on the CLI telling the user that it is assuming 720x576 and 25fps when no IFO is specified to go with the input SUP file.

New version is here.
Old 27th June 2012, 15:45   #971  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Error 404. Link broken?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:47   #972  |  Link
SassBot

Try again.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:29   #973  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks!

I've just noticed a bug in the Edit Colours dialogue (of the java and ++ versions). Only the first 15 colours are present in the left pane. The last colour of the palette is missing.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:32   #974  |  Link
SassBot

That's because 0xdeadbeef only had 15 colors defined for the default DVD Palette dialog list. The imported DVD palette dialog has all 16 colors (0-15) shown. I'll fix that and I have a version with a few other minor fixes too. For one thing, the IFO dialog was opening even when you loaded a BD SUP which was wrong so I've fixed that. There was also a drawing bug for the source/target image areas as well.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:02   #975  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks.

I have currently always "offset out of bounds" error messages with the java version, when importing a DVD SUP file extracted with PgcDemux. But your ++ version doesn't have that problem. Is it magic? ;-)
SubtitleCreator doesn't complain.
I don't understand the problem, as it's a DVD I use since yesterday to do my tests, and I have never had that problem before. Could it be caused by an option of the INI file?
What does that message mean exactly?

BTW, there is also a little cosmetic bug in the CLI output of the java version. Not checked yet with the ++ version.
When an error message is printed (beginning with "ERROR:"), the \n character is missing at the end of the line, and the "There was N errors" message is concatenated. No big deal...

Example:
Code:
ERROR: Offset 3163498 out of bounds for file E:\TEMP\Subpictures_22.supThere was 1 error
Old 27th June 2012, 19:05   #976  |  Link
SassBot

New version here: here to address the things from the previous post. Last things I want to resolve before pushing the 1.0.0 release is getting the new CLI parsing in, the functionality to move from the original x/y positions from the CLI as r0lz asked for (the GUI allows this right now), and try to fix the outstanding issue that was in the original BDSup2Sub from here.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:09   #977  |  Link
SassBot

That would be because he forgot to add a new line character where as mine should properly newline every log output. Also, can you post the SUP you are talking about? The issue you may be seeing is that the Java version may be trying to read your SUP file as an HD DVD SUP. If you don't open the DVD SUP through the IFO file it defaults to reading it as an HD DVD SUP since it can't tell them apart by header. Mine doesn't fail because it first loads it first as a DVD SUP and if any exceptions happen it then tests it as an HD DVD SUP.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:26   #978  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Also, can you post the SUP you are talking about?
Here it is: Subpictures_22_2.7z

Quote:
The issue you may be seeing is that the Java version may be trying to read your SUP file as an HD DVD SUP.
I don't think so, as I gave him the /resal and /fps:25,25 options (but no IFO).

[EDIT] Previous link did not work. Updated with a correct URL.
I mean
Code:
/res:pal /fps:25,25

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th June 2012 at 19:52.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:38   #979  |  Link
SassBot

Can you post it somewhere that doesn't require a signup, please? But I can guarantee you the issue is that it's loading it as HD DVD SUP. It will only assume the SUP is a DVD SUP if you loaded the file via an IFO file of matching name. Specifying those parameters won't change that.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:43   #980  |  Link
SassBot

To add the relevant code that choose how it reads the file is as so from the Java version:

Code:
if (xml || sid == Core.StreamID.XML)
    runType = RunType.READXML;
else if (idx || sid == Core.StreamID.DVDSUB || sid == Core.StreamID.IDX)
    runType = RunType.READVOBSUB;
else if (ifo || sid == Core.StreamID.IFO)
    runType = RunType.READSUPIFO;
else
    runType = RunType.READSUP;
Since it didn't have an IFO extension it is neither "ifo" nor of StreamID "IFO". Hence it chooses the "READSUP" path which branches between BDSUP and HD DVD SUP and since it will have the same header as an HD DVD SUP it will read it as the incorrect format.