Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th September 2011, 19:55   #9821  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I didn't expect madvr to generate significant cpu usage, since it works with shaders and all. Is this normal?
madVR will use more CPU usage then other renderers, because it does more stuff.
Also, since you compared to DXVA, of course it'll use more CPU then before.

Quote:
(I also didn't think splitting with LAV would count for 13% cpu usage either)
The Splitter creates one thread for every stream (audio, video, subtitle), and the decoders usually just decode on that thread, causing the info you see. Its only because LAV Splitter created the thread that its being blamed for them, but the highest CPU thread is probably video, and the second the audio decoder.
Old 20th September 2011, 20:14   #9822  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The Splitter creates one thread for every stream (audio, video, subtitle), and the decoders usually just decode on that thread, causing the info you see. Its only because LAV Splitter created the thread that its being blamed for them, but the highest CPU thread is probably video, and the second the audio decoder.
Does it still have such a high CPU usage when using CUVID?
Old 20th September 2011, 20:16   #9823  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
madVR will use more CPU usage then other renderers, because it does more stuff.
Also, since you compared to DXVA, of course it'll use more CPU then before.
Ok, so what does it do on the cpu? Or is it wrong for me to think that all the stuff it does on the GPU doesn't require some sort of CPU support?

Quote:
Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation. So I guess this might be the same thing that decoding on the GPU (with cuvid) requires some cpu usage too.

Anyway its not like I have a problem, I'm just curious.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 20:24   #9824  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Judging by the shot above it says (old path) so I'm guessing it's some obscure setting or old version. In the regular fullscreen exclusive mode, it doesn't work for me.
Neither. Version 0.74.

properties:
PC levels (0-255)
8 bit (or higher)

calibration:
disable calibration controls for this display

blank line & everything below unchecked.

color & gamma
everything disabled

decoding
everything disabled

scaling:
Softcubic 60, Spline 4, Spline 4.

general settings:
No - use managed upload textures (XP only)
Yes - delay playback start until render queue is full
Yes - enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode
No - disable desktop composition (Vista and newer)
No - use a seperate device for presentation (Vista / Windows 7 only)

exclusive mode settings:
Yes - show seek bar
Yes - delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds
No - present several frames in advance
8 - how many backbuffers shall be used
flush
flush & wait (sleep)
don't flush
don't flush

trade quality for performance:
everything disabled
Old 20th September 2011, 20:30   #9825  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

^ that setting causes it to use the "old" exclusive mode

Quote:
Does it still have such a high CPU usage when using CUVID?
7% is high?
From all i know, that could as well be the audio decoder decoding some complicated HD audio, putting the video at 4%.

Without knowing anything about the system, judging how much 4 or 7% actually is, is really not possible either.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th September 2011 at 20:36.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 20:44   #9826  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
7% is high?
From all i know, that could as well be the audio decoder decoding some complicated HD audio, putting the video at 4%.

Without knowing anything about the system, judging how much 4 or 7% actually is, is really not possible either.
Well, I figured the 7% is what you'd get from software decoding. I get around 15% on average 1080p material (8-bit) but my system is quite dated.
Old 20th September 2011, 20:46   #9827  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Well, I figured the 7% is what you'd get from software decoding. I get around 15% on average 1080p material (8-bit) but my system is quite dated.
How dated? My CPU is an e6750.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 21:14   #9828  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
How dated? My CPU is an e6750.
Mine's a Q9550 @ 4.0 GHz
Old 20th September 2011, 21:23   #9829  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:

^ that setting causes it to use the "old" exclusive mode
You're right nev, the screenshot with that setting to "Yes" is only black.

I would try to check out the differences between "old" and "new" since I don't know the difference. At first glance I see presentation glitches now and then, about one each five seconds or so.
Old 21st September 2011, 06:09   #9830  |  Link

Quote:
What I don't quite understand is why I would want exclusive mode. Does it offer me any advantages?

All it does it disadvantages: 1. Slower fullscreen switch time, 2. ugly status notification at the top left, 3. ugly seek bar, 4. unable to take screenshots easily.
It brings a pretty significant performance boost, and I believe it also improves timing/v-sync control? (should eliminate tearing for people that experience tearing in windowed mode)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 06:45   #9831  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As a general rule of course, if windowed mode works fine for you, then don't worry, be happy.
Some users need exclusive mode for fluid playback without tearing, if you don't - great!
Old 21st September 2011, 13:39   #9832  |  Link

Quote:
As a general rule of course, if windowed mode works fine for you, then don't worry, be happy.
Some users need exclusive mode for fluid playback without tearing, if you don't - great!
Absolutely, though I hope that once Madshi returns to developing this, we will start to see some advanced scaling algorithms implemented that take advantage of the new FSE mode to operate smoothly.

I was doing some testing upscaling some 1080p content to 4K recently, and none of the available algorithms really did a very good job of it.

For some reason, the scaling issues were far more obvious than with DVD. Perhaps because the source material (good Blu-ray encodes) is that much more detailed to begin with.

Everything, even Lanczos 8 and SoftCubic 100 was very aliased. (but the aliasing had soft edges)

It makes me wonder just how much better even DVDs can get compared to how they are now. (and how they are now, is the best I have ever seen)

I would love to see more advanced multi-frame super-resolution processing eventually, but I suspect that's far beyond the scope of madVR.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 15:32   #9833  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

In a related note, how about an emulation mode for the old XP option for a “single display mode” which would treat a multi-monitor setup as one large display?

For example, some users use an IBM T221 screen to display movies, which has a resolution of 3840 × 2400 and is connected using four DVI ports - Windows sees these as four separate 1920x1200 monitors.

In XP, you could set it to work as a single display so running a fullscreen program would fullscreen it over all four “displays”, while Windows 7 lacks this feature - so fullscreen applications will only appear in a single quadrant.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:20   #9834  |  Link
BeNooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I couldn't agree more.
ditto
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:33   #9835  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
I don't have tearing in any mode but exclusive gives me far better performance. For example on a 60fps file I played today, windowed mode didn't look like 60fps at all while exclusive mode was butter smooth like you'd expect from a 60fps file.

Can't say I notice much of a difference for 1080p24 playback though.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:17   #9836  |  Link
JustinChase

I'm upgrading my HTPC to include an nVidia card (GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16), but the motherboard I wish to use has only a PCIe 1.1 x16 slot.

Will this make any difference in madVR (or LAV CUVID)'s ability to fully utilize the new card?

I'm guessing even 1.0 has enough bandwith to render the images fine, as I think the real work is done in the GPU.

But, before I get it all built, I thought I'd ask, since it's easier to change the motherboard before I install it

thanks.
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:42   #9837  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The bandwidth should be sufficient.
I have no idea if it works at all, but i guess it does.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:35   #9838  |  Link
JustinChase

Thanks. from my reading...

Quote:
The PCIe 2.0 standard doubles the per-lane throughput from the PCIe 1.0 standard's 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s.
I assume 250 MB/s is plenty for our needs.

It seems the cards/slots are backwards compatible between versions, so I'll hopefully get it built tonight or tomorrow and finally get full hardware de-interlacing
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:17   #9839  |  Link
jmone

I have two PC's with nvidia GPU but I'm seeing radically diffrent Present Times:

- GTS450 (ddr5): Present time is usually between 0.1 to 0.2ms in both Exclusive and Windowed Mode
- GTX550Ti (ddr5): Present time is usually between 0.1 to 0.2ms in Exclusive Mode but blows out to 10 - 30ms (eg 100 times slower) in Windowed Mode so it drops frames.

I've tried updating Drivers, Bios etc on the GTX550Ti but I have No Idea why the very high Present Times in Windowed Mode on this unit - any hints?

Thanks
Nathan

Edit: Even my Laptop with a 320M has OK present times.....

Last edited by jmone; 23rd September 2011 at 05:30.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:39   #9840  |  Link
jmone

EDIT - Fixed the issue by reapplying the Std Windows 7 Aero Theme (Control Panel --> Personalization). Seems if you have a "Basic" theme then the presentation times go up by x100. With the Aero Theme applied all is fine (no idea how I had a non-aero theme in the first place).

Last edited by jmone; 23rd September 2011 at 08:57.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling