Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th October 2014, 00:51   #181  |  Link
Hera
.NET Web App Dev

Is dxva2n support missing or did I set things up wrong? Using this with LAV filter (testing right now), Video decoder says "DXVA2 (native)" is "Available". (DX 10.1, Win 8.1, NV 660).
EDIT: Just found my answer - "MPDN isn't written with using DXVA at any stage in mind", well that is a performance bummer.

Anyway, some suggestions,
Going to "File" then "Open" brings up a dialog which then brings up a Windows dialog.
After choosing a file in the Windows dialog, the MPDN dialog remains and you have to close it.
Four clicks.
Suggestion, "Open" should bring up Windows dialog directly then when I choose a file in the Windows dialog, it should start playing the file.
Two clicks.

Ease of setup,
Can you include subtitle renderer as part of MPDN (I fathom this is a legal question)? Requiring separate download and install is a negative in my opinion.

Options,
Some questions that the options menu can answer:
(1) "What is faster?" (2) "What this does?" (3) "What is this options recommended for?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Sorry to disappoint but performance critical parts are actually in ASM and C / C++. C# merely provides the glue logic and it isn't very good at that too with GC stopping all managed threads when it feels like it (which means all MPDN's time critical threads are also in C++).

I can only share it as closed source or don't share it at all (for reasons I can't disclose). If you want to learn about writing a video renderer, there are plenty of resources on the net to get you started.
Oh yeah, C++ is too complicated (for me) compared to unsafe C# code. Also, have you tried native .net native? I hope you'll reconsider; it would be a major bummer if development stopped and no one could take over.

Last edited by Hera; 12th October 2014 at 01:08. Reason: Answered my own question so provided feedback instead.
Hera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 02:21   #182  |  Link
huhn

it's not rare that DXVA uses more power than normal software decoding making it pretty useless for normal content like a BD on system with a dedicated GPU.

and this is closed software. for a reason the creator knows but didn't want to tell us.

Last edited by huhn; 12th October 2014 at 02:21. Reason: removed quote
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 05:06   #183  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

@Hera

Quick Open File menu added in v2.6.1.

A setup package will be used some time in the future when I get some time to do it.

If someone wants to do a write up for the options, I'd be happy to assist and post the link on the OP but I don't want to clutter the options page further.

.NET native won't make a difference to MPDN's performance (GC will still be present and like I said before, performance critical parts are in ASM). And you do know it's not available for desktop apps yet, don't you?
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 07:24   #184  |  Link
ajp2k11

Tried v2.5.3 this weekend and it's smooth at 120Hz, even with "prefer new renderer" checked... weird?
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 07:58   #185  |  Link
Zachs

@ajp2k11

Not really weird It's because the new rendering path has some tweaks done to it too!
Glad to know it's working for ya!
Old 14th October 2014, 10:11   #186  |  Link
ajp2k11

Quote:
@ajp2k11

Not really weird It's because the new rendering path has some tweaks done to it too!
Glad to know it's working for ya!
Ah ok, I see! Works very well for me, good subjective quality but not too heavy for my laptop. It has become my default player now, thanks!
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:57   #187  |  Link
aufkrawall

Have you tried Custom Resolution Utility to prevent Nvidia bugs with D3D10 FSE?

Hoping for Catmull-Rom LL downscaling, smooth motion and NNEDi stuff.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 00:46   #188  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Have you tried Custom Resolution Utility to prevent Nvidia bugs with D3D10 FSE?

Hoping for Catmull-Rom LL downscaling, smooth motion and NNEDi stuff.
Yes it is the custom res utility that got me close to 23.976Hz in the first place but D3D10 FSE mode has a mind of its own and decides to ignore the custom settings. Its D3D9 implementation has no such issues. This is definitely due to the lack of test coverage on NVIDIA's part.

MPDN has Catrom but does not do LL scaling (my understanding is that LL only benefits in extreme downscaling of >= 400%). To get catrom, use bicubic with sharpness of 100 (this is equivalent to catrom mathematically).

I'm not a big fan of smooth motion (that's an understatement ) but SVP is readily available as a postprocessing filter.
Old 17th October 2014, 01:37   #189  |  Link
aufkrawall

Can't confirm, it shows 23,97xHz in player OSD in D3D10 FSE on a Geforce 9600 GT.
I meant the tool CRU, not Nvidia driver custom resolution tool:
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Th...on-Utility-CRU

It's important to untick the extension block checkbox and to do a restart after setting up resolutions.

Or are you referring to some command line switches for auto resolution change, since I can't find that functionality in the MPDN GUI.
Old 17th October 2014, 02:35   #190  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Can't confirm, it shows 23,97xHz in player OSD in D3D10 FSE on a Geforce 9600 GT.
I meant the tool CRU, not Nvidia driver custom resolution tool:
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Th...on-Utility-CRU

It's important to untick the extension block checkbox and to do a restart after setting up resolutions.

Or are you referring to some command line switches for auto resolution change, since I can't find that functionality in the MPDN GUI.
9600GT - that's the exact card I was testing it on!

I tested with both CRU and nvidia custom res.
While in windowed mode, MPDN shows my custom refresh rate. But once I go into FSE mode, MPDN's display rate rapidly changes to approach the new rates (which is the default rate).

What driver version are you using anyway? I'd love to get D3D10 to work on my 9600GT too, especially since it fully supports 10-/16-bit output mode.

MPDN doesn't do auto res change, so if refresh rate changes when going into FSE mode, then it's the driver doing it. I'll give it another try with CRU but your screen shot doesn't show manual timing? I had to set manual timing to get close to 23.976Hz (my TV reports 23Hz mode properly so I only need CRU to set the card up via manual timing to get closer to my audio ref clock).

Last edited by Zachs; 17th October 2014 at 02:38.
Old 17th October 2014, 08:30   #191  |  Link
huhn

both on windows 8?

you may read this
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=90
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 12:26   #192  |  Link
Zachs

Not only Win8. My win7 is the same. Only with D3D10 rendering path though. D3D9 has no problem.
Old 17th October 2014, 18:00   #193  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I'll give it another try with CRU but your screen shot doesn't show manual timing? I had to set manual timing to get close to 23.976Hz (my TV reports 23Hz mode properly so I only need CRU to set the card up via manual timing to get closer to my audio ref clock).
What timings do you suggest?
I'm using a LCD monitor with bypass panel and with my usual timings (which are said to have more frequent vblank) I can't hit 23.976 very precisely, neither with LCD standard.
Driver is plain 340.52 and OS is Windows 8.1. Hopefully I'll have a GM204 card again next week.
Old 19th October 2014, 22:50   #194  |  Link
jkauff

Downloaded the latest MPDN last night and tried it for the first time. For 1080p, it's as good as or better than madVR (nothing touches madVR on doubled SD). Nice work!

I have one feature request. Please add "resume playback at last position" to the General Options. Quick Open File and Recent Files are less useful without it.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 23:30   #195  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

MPDN possible future feature(s)?

I don't know if its been previously mentioned in the thread (I did a quick search, but didn't turn it up), but I think a useful feature for the MPDN player somewhere down the line would be the play next in folder option (and possibly a loop at end of of folder) that is common in quite a few other players.

Edit: Just wanted to add a note about how impressed I am with the current version of MPDN. Back in late September I posted about problems I had with what was then version x64_2_1_0_1424. With the current version x64_2_6_3_1912 I have none of those problems. Before I couldn't run in fullscreen using Direct3D 10.1 render mode now I have no problem running in that mode (as long as I don't put a check in the Use new windowed mode rendering path when possible box). I can't credit my gpu (dated 9/18/2014, so it hasn't changed), so I credit the changes made to MPDN during that time. Given its very good image quality, fast render times, 0 dropped frames, 0 presentation glitches, and smooth video playback (smooth video during panning/scrolling scenes) it is currently my preferred media player.

I'd use it all the time if it had a few more basic features (like noted above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Please add "resume playback at last position" to the General Options.
I'd find that useful as well. As far as I know that's something lacking in a lot of video players (including MPC).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 20th October 2014 at 01:39. Reason: added update about playback experience
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 06:53   #196  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I have one feature request. Please add "resume playback at last position" to the General Options. Quick Open File and Recent Files are less useful without it.
Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
I don't know if its been previously mentioned in the thread (I did a quick search, but didn't turn it up), but I think a useful feature for the MPDN player somewhere down the line would be the play next in folder option (and possibly a loop at end of of folder) that is common in quite a few other players.
Along with that, I've got playlist on my todo list as well. It will tie in quite well with playlist.

Just a heads up, MPDN v2.7.0 has been released and features 12- and 16-tap Lanczos and Jinc. It's also massively faster. First time I've been able to use Jinc 16-tap (or its equivalent) on my GTX560 without it sounding like a plane taking off!
Old 20th October 2014, 08:43   #197  |  Link
toniash

MPDN renderer

Wouldn't it be possible to release your renderer alone (as Madvr)? I'm very happy with the rendering part but the player lacks many features that others have.
Only dreaming ..
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 09:45   #198  |  Link
italospain

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
Wouldn't it be possible to release your renderer alone (as Madvr)? I'm very happy with the rendering part but the player lacks many features that others have.
Only dreaming ..
i have the same dream
italospain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 11:50   #199  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
Only dreaming ..
There's actually a few reasons for MPDN to have its own player but the technical one is .NET isn't exactly DirectShow filter friendly. MPDN needed a lot of tricks to get .NET to play nice, it's going to be quite difficult to make it into a pure DirectShow renderer.
Old 20th October 2014, 22:36   #200  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Do you plan shader support in future releases?
i really like this player so far, it has so much less performance impact on my system, finally i can watch movies with madvr but without having teh gpu at 60% all the time...

i do really miss shader support....

greetz BetA
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock