Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 11th September 2009, 15:19   #21  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipzoller
I thought any options set within the --tune setting should supersede any conflicting options
No, the opposite is the case: First of all "--preset" and "--tune" are evaluated. Then user options are applied and may overwrite everything that has been set so far!

So with "--tune film [...] --psy-rd 1.0:0" you first set Psy-Trellis to 0.15 via film tuning, but then you explicitly force Psy-RD back to 0.0

Maybe you were thinking of the "--profile" option. That option indeed will be applied last and it will overwrite all user settings, if needed to ensure profile compliance...

(BTW: The order in which the parameters appear in your command-line is irrelevant)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th September 2009 at 17:01.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:27   #22  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 04:09   #23  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

I ran another series of tests, this time setting the --tune film option and --psy-rd 1.0:0.15 to see if anything strange would result. All 3 test files reported, through AVInaptic, -psy-rd=1.0:0.2. What would be the reason for this? And since the other user-set options will override the --tune setting, and I can't turn off --psy-rd through MeGUI (0.3.1.1056), what is recommended when using the --tune option through MeGUI at the current time?

BTW, thanks to DS for implementing mbtree as it makes a big improvement I've noticed.
Old 20th September 2009, 04:43   #24  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

x264 only writes psy-rd values to 1 decimal place,
so 1.0:0.15 gets written to the signature as 1.0:0.2
Old 20th September 2009, 15:20   #25  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Thanks. Any recommendations on my question regarding MeGUI settings?
Old 20th September 2009, 16:15   #26  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

I don't use meGUI, but i recall it has a section to directly add parameters to the commandline,
use this until it supports the preset system.
Old 20th September 2009, 17:23   #27  |  Link
talen9

Check again, 'cause I have MeGUI 0.3.1056 and I *can* turn off PsyRD ... if by "I can't turn off PsyRD" you mean that you're seeing the PsyRD options greyed out, it's because you've currently selected a too low SubPixel Refinement level (the option right above Psyrd), it has to be at least at 6 for PsyRD to be active.

And when it's greyed out, it is *off*
talen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 17:29   #28  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Subme is set to 9 so the option is not greyed out. That's why I asked how to deactivate a certain option through the GUI (even though extra commands can be injected via the custom command line).
Old 20th September 2009, 22:25   #29  |  Link
talen9

Well, if you put both Psy-RD's and Psy Trellis' strenghts at zero, you'll have them turned off even with subme>6 , IIRC .
Old 20th September 2009, 22:45   #30  |  Link
burfadel

Any individual settings you make override the tune settings. As in the previous example, if you specify '--tune film', which sets the psy-rd to 1.0:0.15, then set the psy-rd manually to 1.0:1.0 (for instance) then the 1.0:1.0 will take precedence. If you are using a gui to automate the procedure for you, its quite possible that you have set different values for psy-rd etc which overrides the settings of --tune. In other words, check the command line and see whats happening!

The --tune presets are just really suggestions of values for certain options that have been known to provide good results for that type of source material. The settings required by 'American Dad' would most likely be different to those required by 'Final Fantasy' for optimal results relating to your preference in the final encode. Aside from issues of gui's overriding the tune settings... Saying that --tune will always benefit the type of material will be like saying 'The sky is blue'. Yes, the sky is blue, but it isn't blue at nighttime or when its cloudy!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 00:05   #31  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

@talen9: I'm aware of this, however I don't want the option turned off, and it really isn't turned "off" but rather the values set to 0's, which for reasons already made clear to me both by Maestro Mulder above and burfadel below, this will override the --tune options.

@burfadel: I'm also aware of the command order, and so without being able to remove the --psy-rd option (or --deblock), only to change it's values, for now in MeGUI I'd have to set both to the values --tune film is going to set. What's missing in the gui is a "not configured" option where instead of disabling or zeroing-out a setting once unchecked, you would have the option of not configuring that setting at all. Either this or in addition to the "Custom Command Line" option in the "Misc" tab, rename it "Adjust Command Line" which allows you to do both adding and removing commands (the removal of certain ones causing those respective options to be disabled in the gui). Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:01   #32  |  Link
talen9

Sorry chipzoller, I actually had the feeling that I wasn't catching correctly your questions ... and to tell the truth, I still don't
Old 19th July 2013, 22:36   #33  |  Link
ProVision

You know what that tuning does, so just type them in manually.

I hope you've figured THAT out in 5 years xD
ProVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:01   #34  |  Link
an3k

Thanks for that old and long thread. For me Film is ... was ... something with 29.976 fps (DGIndex / MeGUI anyone?) so I never used that tuning. And until now I never researched it actual meaning
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote