Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd January 2018, 22:42   #48041  |  Link
huhn

NVdecode is renamed CUVID and i never saw a case where memory speed plays any rule for madVR when a 128 bit and GDDR5 or better are present.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:27   #48042  |  Link
brazen1

I'm sure you know much more about this than I do and I don't mind being corrected. From what I gather, Hynix is supplying the memory. It will be GDDR6. The higher end cards will use HBM2. 384 bit. It will be about 45% faster. NVdecode has been present in the 10 series. No one has implemented it in software because the older version of it, CUVID is all developers have to work with. I assume with Volta will come a new video codec SDK for madshi to tinker with using NVdecode.
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:29   #48043  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
NVdecode has been present in the 10 series. No one has implemented it in software because the older version of it, CUVID is all developers have to work with.
NVDecode and CUVID is exactly the same thing, they just renamed it for marketing purposes, but the SDK didn't even change at all (short of the name in the documentation) - and there are no advantages over using DXVA2 or D3D11 decoding with madVR.
The decoding hardware in NVIDIA cards hasn't changed fundamentally for quite some time, only extended for new codecs - but they also don't really have to, its fast and works pretty well.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 3rd January 2018 at 23:36.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:59   #48044  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, there are quite a lot of HDR and 10 bit remuxes knocking about now, perfect for KODI DS and MADVR playback, is anyone aware of a windows tool or app you can install, or anything I can use to check to see if my entire pipeline is 10 bit, it should be, my TV is set as 10 bit and I have deep colour set on my TV, my receiver is also capable or passing through 10bit.

I've compared 10 bit with 8 bit SDR rips and I cant see any difference, obviously it could be these were mastered in 8 bit and just upconverted to 10 bit and therefore any banding issues would remain, so I'm looking for a way to really know whether I'm getting any benefit at all from using 10 bit colour on my PC and TV.

I'm hoping something I play play in 10 bit and then 8 bit where I can see a difference is colour banding, something like this:

http://www.zero-friction.net/wp-cont...as-image-2.png
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 00:04   #48045  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Check this thread for some attempts at testing full 10-bit output:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128

In short however, its not always easy to confirm this depending on the screens processing etc, but as long as 10-bit output looks good..
Old 4th January 2018, 05:39   #48046  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
AIUI, Volta with madVR will be a game changer. HDMI 2.1 MAYBE. NVDecode may also be a new video decoder introduced replacing GDDR5x which should allow madVR at highest settings, even UHD, to be implemented (replacing NVCUVID). Don't know anything for sure. NVidia press conference from CES in 4 days. Maybe some details?
Thereís nothing special about Volta. The Titan V is about 30% faster than a 1080 Ti, and thatís when it doesnít perform worse. The consumer cards weíll get later this year will be cut down versions so expect worse performance. I think Volta will offer about 20% more performance for the high end card, which is pathetic. 9 series to 10 series was a 50% boost. I guess they donít have to try anymore since AMD canít compete.

Volta wonít be game changer, especially not for madvr
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 07:55   #48047  |  Link
Goeggel

@mytbyte and brazen1:
would it help if you could have a look at one of the movie files yourself? I could cut out the first couple of seconds from the movie and upload it somewhere (any suggestion for a suitable location?)?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 09:07   #48048  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
There’s nothing special about Volta. The Titan V is about 30% faster than a 1080 Ti, and that’s when it doesn’t perform worse. The consumer cards we’ll get later this year will be cut down versions so expect worse performance. I think Volta will offer about 20% more performance for the high end card, which is pathetic. 9 series to 10 series was a 50% boost. I guess they don’t have to try anymore since AMD can’t compete.

Volta won’t be game changer, especially not for madvr
You can't really extrapolate the consumer/gaming performance of Volta from the Titan V - its architecture is quite different to the consumer cards. GP100 also had a different architecture (different configuration of cores and control logic, and whatnot), it was just never used on any card one could buy.
The Titan V is the first "compute" focused Titan for a long time, basically since the very first Titan.

I fully expect a high-end Volta "Ti" card to actually be faster in gaming then the Titan V.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:32   #48049  |  Link
AttackSharply

Well, I just got the IRQ Not less or equal blah blah error again, and that's with FSE disabled and using MadVR 92.10, but this was only upon exiting my media player and not while watching something.

Before the only error I'd get while exiting was the No Execute BSOD.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 10:04   #48050  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSharply View Post
Well, I just got the IRQ Not less or equal blah blah error again, and that's with FSE disabled and using MadVR 92.10, but this was only upon exiting my media player and not while watching something.

Before the only error I'd get while exiting was the No Execute BSOD.
i'd look at completely stripping out your NVIDA drivers using DDU and then try 285.28.

If that doesnt work, if you have s spare disk run up a quick image to dual boot to test your system hardware, no point doing a full rebuild if something as at fault.

Last edited by mclingo; 4th January 2018 at 10:07.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:39   #48051  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
AIUI, Volta with madVR will be a game changer. HDMI 2.1 MAYBE. NVDecode may also be a new video decoder introduced replacing GDDR5x which should allow madVR at highest settings, even UHD, to be implemented (replacing NVCUVID). Don't know anything for sure. NVidia press conference from CES in 4 days. Maybe some details?
So im better off waiting

Its not only the performance boost but the new technologies might be worth the wait even knowing i really need a gpu with hevc hardware decoding now.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 13:34   #48052  |  Link
yok833

Hello, i am know watching a lot of 4K HDR 10bit content on my 65B7V OLED and I would like to know if I should keep dithering enable (error diffusion or ordered) ? Same question with all the artifact removals options ? Many thanks
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 13:38   #48053  |  Link
mclingo

doubt you will see any advantage from HDMI 2.1 for a while and your whole pipeline will need to be 2.1, but its worth waiting to see if the new cards have it, hard to know how much more MADVR grunt these cards will have though, you may even find the current crop gives you enough, I'm happy with NGU sharp medium on my RX550 for image upscale and Lanczos for Chroma upscale, I get a superb picture all round.

if most of what you play is 1080p bluray quality you may not see much difference with higher end processing anyway, but it can be very subjective and also depend on your TV setup and how far away you are sat.

I have an LG OLED 65 inch and I sit about 6 ft away when watching movies...for the sickest experience possible
Old 4th January 2018, 14:30   #48054  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Hello, i am know watching a lot of 4K HDR 10bit content on my 65B7V OLED and I would like to know if I should keep dithering enable (error diffusion or ordered) ? Same question with all the artifact removals options ? Many thanks
never disable dithering except for testing.
and select the type of dithering that looks best for you.
if in doubt ordered dithering.

artefact removal is there to well remove artefacts so your content has banding you can use debanding the is the same for HDR.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:10   #48055  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeggel View Post
@mytbyte and brazen1:
would it help if you could have a look at one of the movie files yourself? I could cut out the first couple of seconds from the movie and upload it somewhere (any suggestion for a suitable location?)?
Well, upload to wetransfer and PM the link
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 16:19   #48056  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
never disable dithering except for testing.
and select the type of dithering that looks best for you.
if in doubt ordered dithering.

artefact removal is there to well remove artefacts so your content has banding you can use debanding the is the same for HDR.
OK thanks. I thought that with 10 bit videos and good it was not necessary anymore.
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 18:18   #48057  |  Link
Asmodian

I do have UHD HDR blurays with banding in the source.

Dithering is always good, "necessary" is relative but dithering is fast and nothing is better if you turn it off. Dithering quality is less important at higher bitdepths but still beneficial.

Sorry, this isn't directed at only you but this question gets asked a lot:
NEVER DISABLE DITHERING!
Old 4th January 2018, 21:53   #48058  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
doubt you will see any advantage from HDMI 2.1 for a while and your whole pipeline will need to be 2.1, but its worth waiting to see if the new cards have it, hard to know how much more MADVR grunt these cards will have though, you may even find the current crop gives you enough, I'm happy with NGU sharp medium on my RX550 for image upscale and Lanczos for Chroma upscale, I get a superb picture all round.

if most of what you play is 1080p bluray quality you may not see much difference with higher end processing anyway, but it can be very subjective and also depend on your TV setup and how far away you are sat.

I have an LG OLED 65 inch and I sit about 6 ft away when watching movies...for the sickest experience possible
Is the rx 550 you have able to decode 4k hevc 10 bits UHDBlurays without stressing the cpu??

What chroma algo can it handle while playing a 4k movie? Bicubic only or it can go to jinc?

Maybe the RX 560 thats 20$ more will handle a bit more??

I can have a rx560 for about $125 nearby... And then when nvidia volta cards comes i might upgrade or not. Rx 560 must be better than rx550 right?
Old 4th January 2018, 22:22   #48059  |  Link
huhn

the rx 550 is a total money robbery. a 560 has nearly double the processing power for little more.

make sure it is a Baffin XT not a Baffin XL. i better not comment more on this topic. i have no good words for this fist into the face of customer.

but if you want to use NGU you are wasting your money with polaris.
Old 4th January 2018, 22:41   #48060  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the rx 550 is a total money robbery. a 560 has nearly double the processing power for little more.

make sure it is a Baffin XT not a Baffin XL. i better not comment more on this topic. i have no good words for this fist into the face of customer.

but if you want to use NGU you are wasting your money with polaris.
Baffin what?? It doesnt say. Its the MSI RADEON RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC model.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling