Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th May 2018, 04:37   #51021  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I have following setup
- HTPC (i3, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 1050)
- Yamaha A3070 AVR
- JVC X790r Projector

I recently started using madVR with Kodi and MPC-HC and having a lot of issue playing 4K mkvs with HDR. When I play a file using MPC-HC (with madVR set to pass through HDR and no other settings changed), my projector automatically switches to HDR mode indicating that HDR signal is being received but the whole pictures has dark pink/purple tint on it. As soon as I end playback, everything goes back to normal. If I select Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom Presenter) in MPC-HC, video plays correctly but HDR tag is not passed so no auto switching is done by projector. HDR is turned off in Windows settings (and I am unable to turn it on because when I try to do that, everything goes black and by the time pictures resumes the prompt to confirm selection is gone)

I have also played with setting in madVR to convert HDR to SDR but the results have been less than ideal with more prominent noise and depending on the settings colors ranging for overly saturated to very pale.

I have already tried different HDMI cable and doing a clean install of Nvidia drivers but not much luck.

Separately, I'm having another issue which may or may not be related and that is I cannot set the resolution in Window or Nvidia control panel to 1080p/60. For some reason it keeps getting back to 4K/24. When I try to set the display setting to 1080p/60 the screen goes black and when it comes back I usually have a second or two to press a button to confirm changes otherwise it reverts back to 4k/24 setting. If in case I successfully change the settings it works for sometime and then randomly changes back to 4k/24.

I have checked on the AVR and video is set to "Pass through" on the projector it shows that it is receiving "4K signal". So there is something in the HTPC which keeps switching the resolution/frame rate. For the most part I can live with that setting but some of the programs (like Nvidia Control panel) do not scale even when scaling is set to 300% so they are impossible to use on 120" screen.

same here, i get that purple picture with my JVC 550X too, and this for a while. 60hz or 24hz, it doesnt change anything.

Setting nvidia control pannel to Ycbcr422 10 bit or 12 bit fixed the issue. in RGB, the picture also turn magenta with the Windows HDR slidder on.

quick tip to turn on the windows hdr slidder , once you switch it on , press TAB ENTER. you could also use teamviewer with your phone

and btw this is an issue only with my projector, that same pc connected to an HDR TV doesnt have any of those issues.

Last edited by imhh11; 27th May 2018 at 14:12.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 09:24   #51022  |  Link
IggySLO

I may have similar issues as the users above me. With regards to HDR, if I "let madvr decide" or "passthrough HDR to the display", I get a white noise image on the TV when I start an HDR-content video. If I then simply restart the playback the video works fine every time. Sometimes it even works on 1st try, but it more often starts with this white noise.

This doesn't happen if I use any of the other options for HDR in madVR, so I'm pretty sure that it's a software issue with madVR and not something in the HDMI chain for example.

I use the latest MPC-HC and madVR. PC > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV

Interestingly, this started to happen when I bought a new TV. I previously had a Sony 65X850C which did accept HDR (even though I'm not sure it's even in the spec sheet, but HDR logo did appear if I looked into the picture setup). The new TV is Sony 65A1. BTW, I updated the nvidia drivers, but no change.

Last edited by IggySLO; 27th May 2018 at 09:34.
IggySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 15:54   #51023  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggySLO View Post
I may have similar issues as the users above me. With regards to HDR, if I "let madvr decide" or "passthrough HDR to the display", I get a white noise image on the TV when I start an HDR-content video. If I then simply restart the playback the video works fine every time. Sometimes it even works on 1st try, but it more often starts with this white noise.

This doesn't happen if I use any of the other options for HDR in madVR, so I'm pretty sure that it's a software issue with madVR and not something in the HDMI chain for example.

I use the latest MPC-HC and madVR. PC > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV

Interestingly, this started to happen when I bought a new TV. I previously had a Sony 65X850C which did accept HDR (even though I'm not sure it's even in the spec sheet, but HDR logo did appear if I looked into the picture setup). The new TV is Sony 65A1. BTW, I updated the nvidia drivers, but no change.
If this started to happen when you got a new display, it doesn't necessarily mean madVR is to blame. It treats every display the same way. Perhaps, your display is misinterpreting the color values and metadata it is given? Did you try like the poster above to switch between RGB and YCbCr in the GPU control panel?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 17:15   #51024  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Any news on passing through dual layer Dolby Vision stuff maybe?
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 18:31   #51025  |  Link
IggySLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Did you try like the poster above to switch between RGB and YCbCr in the GPU control panel?
Nothing makes any difference sadly, only the hdr settings in madvr. I don't get why I have to click the file twice in order to get it to play normally.
IggySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:27   #51026  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Was the same GPU driver used in both cases and did you check that the GPU clocks were the same?
Yes. Exactly the same configuration except the update to 1803.
Of course, i had to set the custom modes for custom resolution @23.97602 and @24.00000 due to the fact that the update removes them.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:36   #51027  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Yes, madshi is working with a team of 10 people exactly on that feature since 3 weeks of course, what else?
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 21:19   #51028  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Well if no one seems to be able to convert dual to single layer then I thought maybe a passthrough is the only way we got here
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 00:47   #51029  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Did you use search? See madshi post anything about it?
If anything happens you'll know, I wouldn't bother bringing it up again otherwise, just let it go.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 01:47   #51030  |  Link
x7007

I am having issue with the Nv HDR and OS HDR with potplayer windows 1803 . with both of them the HDR color is not correct . it shows white dots artefacts randomly on same locations . changing the Nvidia display settings to YCbCr 422 10 bit works fine also when using the Nv OS mode as long I set the color manually in the NVCP and not default . using 397.93 drivers

Last edited by x7007; 28th May 2018 at 02:00.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 09:38   #51031  |  Link
gfxnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
mpc-hc most likely I think, I'd rate mpc-be as the better player though.
Don't know how they compare but yes at least MPC-BE is being actively developed.
gfxnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 21:56   #51032  |  Link
ntropy

"hdrOutput" information field

What/where is the "hdrOutput" information field?
Old 28th May 2018, 22:08   #51033  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntropy View Post
What/where is the "hdrOutput" information field?
Not implemented yet, it's a mistake in the release notes. It should appear in a future release (in the OSD) and report the active HDR mode (dumb, complex, passthrough etc).
Hopefully it will come along with the variable to select a profile according to max brightness, which is also planned but Madshi ran out of time for both of these.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000

Last edited by Manni; 29th May 2018 at 08:32.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 22:46   #51034  |  Link
sat4all

Speaking of OSD, when using hdr passthrough or process hdr by using pixel shader math, madvr report that it use my BT.2020.SDR.3dlut but toggling 3dlut on/off make no difference.
bug?
Old 29th May 2018, 00:26   #51035  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Speaking of OSD, when using hdr passthrough or process hdr by using pixel shader math, madvr report that it use my BT.2020.SDR.3dlut but toggling 3dlut on/off make no difference.
bug?
Yes bug. The SDR BT2020 3D LUT isn’t used in passthrough even if the OSD reports it active. It’s only a display bug though, so not a biggie. The 3D LUT shouldn’t be enabled in passthrough or process HDR as the display is still involved in the processing. If you want to apply a 3D LUT, use another option.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000

Last edited by Manni; 29th May 2018 at 00:30.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 12:15   #51036  |  Link
madjock

I am a little confused on what I have achieved after delving into MadVR and KODI Dsplayer.

I only have an old LG 1080P HDTV, mostly 1080p Remux and some 4K Remux movies. I started using MadVR again after finding out that HDR goes to washed out until using the great application and it getting converted from HDR to SDR.

Am I seeing a Placebo effect watching 4K on a 1080P TV ? If the HDR is getting converted to SDR am I missing out on so much I should just stick to 1080P, do I see extra detail or is it Placebo ?

The more posts I read from people that own 4K HDR TVs is that instead of 4K movies differing in the amount of HDR, certain ones being darker, there is a constant battle messing with settings and not every film is the same, but is that not the point ?

The more I read the more it seems to be people upscaling Anime in a lot of the guides you read, and most of the guides seem to point back to old settings not used anymore.

To sum up can High Bitrate 1080P/4K movies look any better than they are, or could you get the same effect by playing with the TV settings for sharpness etc ?. The reason I say this is if I read correctly and 4K TVs are sometimes referred to as only as good as the distance you are away from it, then surely all these filters, processing elements are the same. There seem to be negatives when applying processing that you have to use other options to counter this, so I am unsure if it actually achieves anything. I see zoomed in pictures that says things change, but if you have to zoom in, are you actually going to see the difference in real time at unzoomed settings ?

I am not dissing MadVR at all, just confused where it is all going and how could it get better ?

Last edited by madjock; 29th May 2018 at 12:20.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 12:56   #51037  |  Link
x7007

Does it matter for us with HDR if it's D3D11 Exclusive (10bit) ? where would it matter ?
Using LG OLED C6 TV
Windows 1803
If I want the movie using the windows HDR which is 8 bit + Dithering will it be ok to watch HDR movies using D3D11 Full Windowed (8 bit) ?

Last edited by x7007; 29th May 2018 at 13:02.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 13:02   #51038  |  Link
Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I started using MadVR again after finding out that HDR goes to washed out until using the great application and it getting converted from HDR to SDR.
However, bear in mind the unfortunately (and I don't wanna blame madVR on this as apparently it seems to be quite a complex issue) neither madVR will give the same look as if it would be a native SDR source. Had to learn my lesson where I dared to raise a stink about how overblown Starship Troopers looks on UHD here.

Quote:
Am I seeing a Placebo effect watching 4K on a 1080P TV ? If the HDR is getting converted to SDR am I missing out on so much I should just stick to 1080P, do I see extra detail or is it Placebo ?
That depends on the source. In theory, if the 4K source has a better frequency response (spatial resolution) than its retail 2K counterpart, having that scaled down on your own using madVR or similar, will give you an optimal result.

Also note that some Blu-rays contain aliasing in their 2K video as a result of incorrect filtering (Transformers: Age of Extinction being a "good" example).

Also, UHD sources give you 2K resolution for the color, however it is questionable how severe that difference is.

Quote:
The more posts I read from people that own 4K HDR TVs is that instead of 4K movies differing in the amount of HDR, certain ones being darker, there is a constant battle messing with settings and not every film is the same, but is that not the point ?
Since HDR content draws even higher demands on the playback equipment especially in regard to maximum brightness, the results differ even more compared to SDR.

Quote:
To sum up can High Bitrate 1080P/4K movies look any better than they are, or could you get the same effect by playing with the TV settings for sharpness etc ?.
For my taste, that artificial "sharpening" or "edge enhancement" never adds anything useful to the picture. If the source isn't sharp to begin with, best one can achieve is a subjective higher sharpness at first sight at the cost of halos, ringing, and what not. Hence: no, you can't recreate any real detail with that setting.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 13:28   #51039  |  Link
Magik Mark

Guys,

what are your setting for HDR to SDR conversion. I'm getting a very pale color
Old 29th May 2018, 13:42   #51040  |  Link
madjock

Convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math

I have target peak nits at 150
Tone mapping curve - BT.2390

and I am using dumb mode - convert gamut late

Unsure if any are right or wrong, but nothing looks bad as such.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling