Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 3rd June 2019, 14:23   #1  |  Link
Chris Dycus

MPV Help

I know nothing about programming, but I think MPV is what I need for a church project. What I need to do is have a video, maybe 1/2 screen size, showing on my laptop display & full screen showing on an HDMI external monitor. Also, I would like a playlist showing on the laptop monitor as well so I could go to certain videos for playing. Is this possible, and how do I do it? Thank you.
Chris Dycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:37   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

MPV is a great player, however I generally make my playlists using PotPlayer. It's very easy and straightforward.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:46   #3  |  Link
richardpl

Isn't PotPlayer spyware?
richardpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:55   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
Isn't PotPlayer spyware?
Of course not.
It's a player which uses the Open Codec, it lets you load Avisynth and VapourSynth scripts and also choose your preferred render like OpenGl, 3D39, Haali, Madshi and so on like MPC-HC.
It also allows you to do many other things like using ffmpeg internal filters to sharp a footage or denoise a footage in real-time for instance.
It's a very good player.

Code:
I know nothing about programming, but I think MPV is what I need for a church project. What I need to do is have a video, maybe 1/2 screen size, showing on my laptop display & full screen showing on an HDMI external monitor. Also, I would like a playlist showing on the laptop monitor as well so I could go to certain videos for playing. Is this possible, and how do I do it? Thank you.
This is how playlist look on PotPlayer. This example is with Capital London, a radio station which airs in AAC over the internet. (Keep in mind that with videos is exactly the same).

Old 3rd June 2019, 16:57   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Potplayer is a little persona-non-grata on the D9 due to it's flouting GPL requirments [perhaps this is what is sticking in your mind].
Dont know of any spyware claims. (Comodo AV never has complained about it, and it would).
Potplayer had a few probs a little while ago, due to some change in code, it thought that it's own dll was corrupted in some
way, and gave a "This dll has been Hacked" type message (even direct download from own site, and over several versions, only happened on some machines).
Apart from a few irritations, is a quite formidable player and more robust than most at playing silghtly corrupted files.
I use it to recover corrupted files on occasion, using its recorder in raw YUV, raw PCM, can jump past corruption and save new section, repeatedly.
Set Audio record to mid level before attempting recover, and switch off ALL options to modify aspect ratio etc.

EDIT: GOM used to be quite good at playing corrupt files, dont use it now since it became unusable on XP, (I'm on W7 at the moment, perhaps I should try it out again).

EDIT: To below. I personally block its use of internet, so also no auto update which I hate and always switch off [except Windows 10, of course , but there are supposed to be ways for that].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd June 2019 at 17:09.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:59   #6  |  Link
richardpl

If you carefully read its agreement text you would notice it collects data.
richardpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:48   #7  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
EDIT: GOM used to be quite good at playing corrupt files, dont use it now since it became unusable on XP, (I'm on W7 at the moment, perhaps I should try it out again).
Yes, it stopped working on XP, especially the beta/pre-release version, but when they released the last build it was working again, in fact it contains two "hidden" executables in the installer, one of which is called "xp" and is used whenever it detects XP. In other words, Potplayer itself works on XP, so do OpenCodecs, however, since it relies on third-party components to work, some things don't work. For instance, the decoder for the 3D SBS video and the conversion from 3D SBS to the normal visualization and a few other things. Anyway, I'm using it on a daily basis on my old XP machine.
Old 4th June 2019, 10:47   #8  |  Link
Chris Dycus

Still Need Help

All very interesting, but does not address my initial need.
Chris Dycus is offline   Reply With Quote