Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2005, 13:30   #41  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

PSP = Portable Shit Player...
however sony told us the console capabilities from the beginning and all customers knew them before buying their PSP.
So IMHO we shouldnt blame sony for not giving us what we want, but we should blame ourselves coz we bought a product in the hope it could be what we wanted it to be, but it's obviously not... and we knew it before buying it...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2005, 13:35   #42  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Well, I was more foolish than you and I bought a DS

Thank g*d I got rid of it
Old 23rd September 2005, 14:02   #43  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, Sony already unlocked AVC playback on the memory stick, so those that bought a v1.0 PSP already got more from the getgo, and show me an official Sony spec sheet when it comes to video... third parties had to figure this out.
Old 23rd September 2005, 16:38   #44  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Well they never stated the PSP would have been able to open and playback AVC in standard mp4 container. They also never stated the PSP would had a full and unlimited AVC playback with no restrictions.
Sony, as every major company, have experince in advertising products but what they did was obviously a marketing move.
Customers (including me) should learn to not trust anyone when buying a product but only multiple and unbiased reviews.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 14:17   #45  |  Link
AnimeTheme

We all know Sony is losing money on every PSP they sell. Right now they rely solely on the sales of UMDs to cover the cost and earn money. So from their perspective, it is quite understandable why they would impose restrictions on the Memory Stick movie playback. Unrestricted playback of Memory Stick movies will obviously affect the sales of UMD movies, and there will be people who buy PSP mainly (or solely) for the movie playback capabilities, and in such case, their game sales will be affected as well. You want unrestricted AV playback on PSP at the first hand? Sure, but you need to expect a much more expensive PSP, to a point where Sony loses nothing or even earns money for every PSP they sell.

I think eventually the current restrictions on Memory Stick movie playback will be gone. Starting from 2.0, they allow AVC on Memory Stick. The next step will probably be flexible frame rate support. As the cost of manufacturing PSP drops, eventually they may even allow full-resolution AV playback on Memory Stick.
AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 15:28   #46  |  Link
jonny

yep probably it's only a question of time (and hackers may be faster than sony on unlocking fullres)
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 16:57   #47  |  Link
qyqgpower

the frame skip problem is even more serious on nero avc encoded files(1 ref, all additional option off), only Elecard and SONY IC2+'s file is not sufferd from the problem(and both encoder results low quality pictures), i really curious that why x264 and nero produced MP4 would get frame skip when played on PSP.
qyqgpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 09:06   #48  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

have you tried remux the x264/nero avc files using elecard muxer?

I think Large GOP size can't really solved this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutek
- only Main Profile
- only cabac
- max 3 reference frame
- no weighted (bi)prediction
- no reordered frames (b-pyramid)
- no multiple slices
azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 16:41   #49  |  Link
nrx][Natas

Hi,
a few days ago i tried to convert one of my PAL DVDs. I used ChangeFPS in my AviSynth Script. The first pass was encoded with normal speed, 27.xx fps but the second only with 1.xx fps. 14 hours for the second pass is long. Is that normal?!? I never had to change the framerate before.

thx
nrx][Natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 10:40   #50  |  Link
bill_baroud

rofl
Encoding speed has nothing to do with the actual speed of the video
X264 is just a slow codec, if you have a not so fast processor (like 2ghz) 14h for the 2nd pass is just standard...
bill_baroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 11:01   #51  |  Link
nrx][Natas

Okay...than there is something wrong. I have an Athlon XP 3200+. Realtime encoding or even more is no problem with a resolution suitable for the PSP or even PocketPC. But if i change the FPS of the video, it's getting very slow.

I'm not new to this stuff but i never had to change the framerate before, that's why i ask. I was surprised.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:23   #52  |  Link
Scarpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@tintin1001: It's not a smart thing to argue with the admin of a board if your points don't live up to the expectations. For instance, you can play AVC on a pocket PC, without any of the limitations of the PSP. You are also not restricted to use Sony sanctioned memory sticks, Pocket PCs often offer even two means of storage extension, both of them both cheaper than Sony's memory stick, and offering a higher maximum capacity (I'm talking about CF and SD), and that have the additional benefit that you can also use them in most of today's digital cameras (CF used to be pretty much the standard but now I'm seeing some convergence towards SD, probably due to size constraints). The PSP has the capability screen and processor wise to beat everything there is hands down, but Sony crippled it. This is even more frustrating than if the device actually had the limitations they placed upon external content, but I'm quite convinced playing 24 or 25fps content would be no problem, and neither would using the full screen resolution, or using specs compliant container for that matter rather than some perversion of the specs along with filenames that make no sense. Strip away all the nonsense limitations, kick out the stupid memory stick for SD, and you'd have a kickass video player, but as it is now, it's a disgrace.. all that potential going to waste.

Are you trying to get striked? Everything I said is true and has been proven over and over again. Your points about price are well taken and just as true, but the two do not conflict in any way or form.
The Xbox would be Microsoft, too And copy protection? Give me a break.. consoles are protected up the Himalayas and people actually get sentenced to stiff fees for unlocking consoles.. imagine prison for somebody who buys a PC game in the US to play it in Europe (oh wait, you can't that because of region codes). You actually need to open up your console and start soldering in many instances to get around copy protection.. on a PC you fire up CloneCD and that's that.

I own a Pocket PC and am unaware of a program that plays AVC content, TCMP formally Betaplayer is probably the best PPC Player and it does not support AVC. And even on my Axim 30 with 624 Mhz processor, Playback on Nero's really bad Showtime PPC version of it's AVC format leads to a slideshow like presentation.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 13:26   #53  |  Link
Scarpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
the biggest problem with the PSP imho is that with all the raving reviews, nobody bothered to properly check out the video capabilities and call Sony on their BS. The PSP technically is the Ferrari of pocket fitting portable media players, but Sony artificially crippled it (framerate, resolution, not specs compliant and last but not least picking an expensive and size limited expansion module technology (to use Steve Job's words: this is greedy, they obviously make money off licensing fees with Memory Stick)) and turned it into a Fiat 500 when playback of your own content is concerned. It could do so much better, all the components are there, and Sony already unlocked AVC on memory stick, so it's all corporate policy. Sony, unlock the darned thing, we want our high resolution AVC at proper framerates!! (yes, we, I got mine today)
Actually Demand helps to drop prices. Memory stick prices are falling since the PSP came out. Also UMD prices are falling and it's commonplace for a new title to be on sale with it's DVD Counterpart, the Longest Yard was an example on sale last week for $14.95. Also a Used market is croping up. I picked up SWAT this week for $7.50 used.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:32   #54  |  Link
Scarpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
PSP = Portable Shit Player...
however sony told us the console capabilities from the beginning and all customers knew them before buying their PSP.
So IMHO we shouldnt blame sony for not giving us what we want, but we should blame ourselves coz we bought a product in the hope it could be what we wanted it to be, but it's obviously not... and we knew it before buying it...

PMP's are just starting to come into their own so something to pass up the PSP is going to be released. From My reading of the reviews so Far Creative's Zen Vision has a nice albeit Non Widescreen 640x480 screen on it with a 30 meg drive and Xvid and Divx capabilities for $399. And Archos AV500 has a PSP resolution Screen but is more expensive. The PSP if we can get past the Memory stick limitations would be nice if a 4 meg Storage card could come out cheaply. It's still the most inexpensive solution. I dig UMD videos and if Demand can force the Prices under $10 I'm cool with that. Still I own 1200 DVD's and if I could get my own on there with good results I would love it.

THe problem with most encoders out there right now is that there's not a "Gordian Knot" of the PSP world that allows more control. Also most of the encoders User FFmpeg with less than steller results. I'd like an encoder built around X264, especially built for the tweaker.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:45   #55  |  Link
nrx][Natas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad
I own a Pocket PC and am unaware of a program that plays AVC content, TCMP formally Betaplayer is probably the best PPC Player and it does not support AVC. And even on my Axim 30 with 624 Mhz processor, Playback on Nero's really bad Showtime PPC version of it's AVC format leads to a slideshow like presentation.
It works with my Axim X30 an TCPMP but you need the AAC plugin from RareWares, too. But as you said, it's like a slideshow and the processor is working at 624 Mhz.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:48   #56  |  Link
nrx][Natas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrx][Natas
Okay...than there is something wrong...
I'm encoding Scrubs S01E01 PAL right now .It starts with 30 fps and now after 30% it's encoding with 14.7 fps and it's getting slower and slower...

Last edited by nrx][Natas; 26th September 2005 at 13:59.
Old 28th September 2005, 16:03   #57  |  Link
AnimeTheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsd
have you tried remux the x264/nero avc files using elecard muxer?

I think Large GOP size can't really solved this problem
Large GOP size definitely doesn't solve the problem. You just see sticky frames less often.

Elecard muxer doesn't work on my PC as I don't have enough components to run it. If someone has this muxer working, please try and let us know if this will help solve the sticky frame problem.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:33   #58  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

install Elecard Mobile Converter 1.0 then connect like this:

azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 22:49   #59  |  Link
AnimeTheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsd
install Elecard Mobile Converter 1.0 then connect like this:
I use your suggested setup... but it doesn't solve the frame skip problem. I use a x264-encoded file (muxed with MP4BOX) as source, and then remuxed with Elecard muxer. The resulting file plays on PSP at like HALF frame rate (choppy), and the frame skip problem is still there at all I-frame.

Did you try remuxing movies for PSP using Elecard muxer? What was your result?

Last edited by AnimeTheme; 30th September 2005 at 06:47.
Old 5th October 2005, 15:58   #60  |  Link
nrx][Natas

Hi,

i still have the framerate problem. So I tryed the same thing with DivX6. With DivX6 I have no problem with encoding speed of the second pass. 20 - 30 fps. But x264 is getting slower and slower during the second pass. Any idea?

thx