Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th August 2013, 00:29   #19841  |  Link
psousa

hi.
i read somewhere on this topic some problem with madVR and ati graphics drivers. this has been fixed? i want buy a laptop with i5 480m + hd5650m but after i read those comments about ati drivers i got scared.

and if that driver issue is already fixed the hd5650m is a good gpu for madVR or is better to buy a laptop with nvidia gpu so i can have CUDA?

have some urgency because i will buy a laptop in next days.

thanks

Last edited by psousa; 14th August 2013 at 04:00.
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 02:51   #19842  |  Link
Skankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post

Hopefully this pattern will work to easily identify what your display is using for chroma processing.

4:4:4 and 4:2:2 should be obvious, and it seems that the image should just appear to be a solid color with 4:2:0 processing.

Both test-pattern works as intended. I like the idea that only the letters are changing their colour in the new version.

(the image looks so blue because my camera messed it up...)

(your old version: http://s1.directupload.net/images/130814/tz7cn3be.png )
Skankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 04:49   #19843  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Excellent work 6233638... Now I know for sure my LG is outputting in 4:2:2

Now with that knowledge, is there any settings in madVR that I need to set to make my image quality as high as possible?

QB
Old 14th August 2013, 05:32   #19844  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by psousa View Post
i want buy a laptop with i5 480m + hd5650m but after i read those comments about ati drivers i got scared.
I'd highly recommend not getting an ATI card in your laptop since you're buying a new one anyways. What you've read about ATI's driver's not being as stable as NVidia's is true based on personal experience.

I have a laptop with an ATI Mobility GPU 4570 from 2009 and built a desktop with an nvidia card and the difference in driver stability is clear.

Just my 2 cents.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 06:23   #19845  |  Link
nghiabeo20

one very stupid question, madshi. I have a 1366x768 monitor, and a fullhd tv. If i play fullhd movie (cpu decode), the cpu usage when i connect to fullhd tv will be lower than when i connect to the monitor, right? because i think cpu doesn't need to downscale image. thanks!
nghiabeo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 07:04   #19846  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Excellent work 6233638... Now I know for sure my LG is outputting in 4:2:2

Now with that knowledge, is there any settings in madVR that I need to set to make my image quality as high as possible?
There aren't really any changes you need to make as far as quality is concerned, but if your display is only showing 4:2:2 chroma, then you can gain some performance by lowering the chroma scaling algorithm in madVR.

While displays may handle chroma slightly differently, on my Sony LCD Jinc 3 AR and Lanczos 3 AR look identical when it's in a mode that processes in 4:2:2 - and Bicubic 75 AR is likely going to look the same as well.

You can still tell the difference between them and anything worse (e.g. Bilinear, SoftCubic) but the differences between chroma scaling algorithms are far smaller if your display is not showing 4:4:4.

Here's some testing I did on this a while ago: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=17361
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:56   #19847  |  Link
psousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I'd highly recommend not getting an ATI card in your laptop since you're buying a new one anyways. What you've read about ATI's driver's not being as stable as NVidia's is true based on personal experience.

I have a laptop with an ATI Mobility GPU 4570 from 2009 and built a desktop with an nvidia card and the difference in driver stability is clear.

Just my 2 cents.
hi.
thanks for the reply. the problems with ATI in your experience is with madVR in special or in general?

i had some laptops and lot of desktop ati/amd gpu and never had much problem with drivers. i ask this because the laptop i will buy is used and can have a good deal with that laptop.

im try to find laptops with similar performance nvidia gpu and the prices are much higher
Old 14th August 2013, 12:31   #19848  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Does this work for you?
not workee as intended anymore here, you broke my bubble

I see 4:2:2 on HDMI if I don't enable PIP:

but if I do(with a HD TV channel), I get this:

It's a 2013 sammy TV and if others can confirm that this test pattern work as it's supposed to then I'm more or less SOL with J3AR chroma..

Enabling its game mode doesn't change anything and this new test pattern doesn't really match my experience as I don't see why they'd process SD DVB-T in 4:2:2 and HD DVB-T in 4:2:0...Maybe because its onboard processor can't handle that much data, though.

I'll try the other HDMI inputs

Last edited by leeperry; 14th August 2013 at 12:37.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 12:37   #19849  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
There aren't really any changes you need to make as far as quality is concerned, but if your display is only showing 4:2:2 chroma, then you can gain some performance by lowering the chroma scaling algorithm in madVR.

While displays may handle chroma slightly differently, on my Sony LCD Jinc 3 AR and Lanczos 3 AR look identical when it's in a mode that processes in 4:2:2 - and Bicubic 75 AR is likely going to look the same as well.

You can still tell the difference between them and anything worse (e.g. Bilinear, SoftCubic) but the differences between chroma scaling algorithms are far smaller if your display is not showing 4:4:4.

Here's some testing I did on this a while ago: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=17361
Thanks... my 5770 seems to handle anything I throw at it for the resolutions I run (1024x768p72, 1024x768p60) and that is with Jinc 3 AR, Jinc 3 AR and Catmull-Rom AR LL so I don't need to gain any performance.

Thanks, your insights and testing are always top shelf stuff

QB
Old 14th August 2013, 12:58   #19850  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
not workee as intended anymore here, you broke my bubble

I see 4:2:2 on HDMI if I don't enable PIP:

but if I do(with a HD TV channel), I get this:

It's a 2013 sammy TV and if others can confirm that this test pattern work as it's supposed to then I'm more or less SOL with J3AR chroma..

Enabling its game mode doesn't change anything and this new test pattern doesn't really match my experience as I don't see why they'd process SD DVB-T in 4:2:2 and HD DVB-T in 4:2:0...Maybe because its onboard processor can't handle that much data, though.

I'll try the other HDMI inputs
My 2007 LG 720p (1024x768 rectangular pixels) still ouputs 4:2:2 even with PIP active (OTA HDTV channel in the PIP)... so not sure what your Sammy is doing

QB
Old 14th August 2013, 13:00   #19851  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
Considering how nVidia drivers have been behaving lately, that might not necessarily be true anymore. To be honest, my AMD based htpc runs without any worries with the stock drivers, while my current PC with an nVidia gpu often suffers driver crashes. And then there is that story with 320.18 driver causing blank screens or burning GPUs, and it's not the first time this happens.

For AMD, I'd say the biggest problem is to find a driver version that works for your setup, and it's not necessarily the newest one. So in my experience, it's pretty comparable to nVidia, I'm still using the 306.97 drivers for more stability.
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 13:10   #19852  |  Link
noee

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
I disagree. I have two Toshiba APU laptops that work great with madVR (using the latest Toshiba-supplied drivers) and I have two HTPC systems currently using HD6570 and HD7750 and they are both flawless with the Onkyo/LG combo (HDMI).

The late 12 series and the newer 13 series drivers on AMD are rock-solid with madVR.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 13:44   #19853  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
Considering how nVidia drivers have been behaving lately, that might not necessarily be true anymore. To be honest, my AMD based htpc runs without any worries with the stock drivers, while my current PC with an nVidia gpu often suffers driver crashes. And then there is that story with 320.18 driver causing blank screens or burning GPUs, and it's not the first time this happens.
Plus the fact that a bug was introduced in an nVidia driver about 4 years ago that is yet to be fixed, which causes some Source games to crash randomly when using DX10 cards.
Old 14th August 2013, 13:52   #19854  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. In my personal experience, AMD/ATI has caused more issues with their drivers then NVIDIA, especially for HTPC usage. But then i also usually run recent hardware, which drivers are usually more optimized for. My HTPC has been running just perfectly with NVIDIA, while i had some minor issues with an AMD card i used for a few month, until NVIDIA released a new generation.

But does that prove that NVIDIA drivers are better? Probably not. All i know is that the HW decoder in AMDs cards is inferior to NVIDIA (both in speed and features, eg. even in latest generations a driver had to disable 4K decoding on AMD because it was broken), but if that matters for you is only something you can decide.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:30   #19855  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. In my personal experience, AMD/ATI has caused more issues with their drivers then NVIDIA, especially for HTPC usage. But then i also usually run recent hardware, which drivers are usually more optimized for. My HTPC has been running just perfectly with NVIDIA, while i had some minor issues with an AMD card i used for a few month, until NVIDIA released a new generation.

But does that prove that NVIDIA drivers are better? Probably not. All i know is that the HW decoder in AMDs cards is inferior to NVIDIA (both in speed and features, eg. even in latest generations a driver had to disable 4K decoding on AMD because it was broken), but if that matters for you is only something you can decide.
Agreed. I haven't had any driver-related issues with my HTPC as far as I know, which uses nVidia. I just have a grudge against nVidia for that 4-year-and-counting bug.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:22   #19856  |  Link
psousa

what i really want know is if CUDA from nvidia make lot of diference with madVR. the hd5650m have a decent performance for a laptop gpu (6700 points in 3dmark06),will not be good enought for madVR?

btw i only see 1080p movies and 720p series on a panasonic 46G20. as far i understand madVR will upscale the 720p series to 1080p right?
Old 14th August 2013, 18:55   #19857  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

Hi madshi!
I just watched a movie a few minutes with OSD on and found several times where for about 30 sec the max rendering time was about half the average rendering time. Never seen this before as far as I can remember. Is that normal or is it maybe a bug?
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 20:15   #19858  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
My 2007 LG 720p (1024x768 rectangular pixels) still ouputs 4:2:2 even with PIP active (OTA HDTV channel in the PIP)... so not sure what your Sammy is doing
Well, from what I've read 4:2:0 is really supposed to be a jaggy feast....I still kinda think that HDMI and SD TV run in 4:2:2 and HD in 4:4:4, reason why forcing SD PIP remains 4:2:2 and HD PIP goes 4:4:4. That's what the original test pattern showed anyway

But I didn't run any harcore A/B comparisons and being colorblind, I'm hopeless without a colorimeter.

Maybe more people can testproof this pattern and once a consensus will have been found, madshi can add it to the first page
Old 14th August 2013, 20:27   #19859  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Well, from what I've read 4:2:0 is really supposed to be a jaggy feast....I still kinda think that HDMI and SD TV run in 4:2:2 and HD in 4:4:4, reason why forcing SD PIP remains 4:2:2 and HD PIP goes 4:4:4. That's what the original test pattern showed anyway
You can only use these patterns when displayed using 1:1 mapping. If your display is scaling from SD, the results are invalid.

I would expect chroma resolution to drop (if anything) when you enable PIP rather than improving.

4:2:0 will only appear very aliased when it's displayed natively.
Most of these displays will only be processing in 4:2:0 (discarding chroma resolution) and then upsampling it - the issue is that most displays do a poor job of the upsampling, and some sources (e.g. computer graphics/games) are 4:4:4 native.
For example: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1162100/th...#post_20822997

Processing in 4:2:0 results in very soft, blurred chroma, not aliased chroma.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 23:02   #19860  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Well, I was hoping for a firmware bug considering that your previous test pattern appeared fine

Apparently 4:2:0 is really fubar: http://www.ntt-electronics.com/en/pr...deo-codec.html

I can see how 4:4:4 might be considered overkill for displaying 4:2:0 YV12 sources and why some(many?) TV sets save money by processing in 4:2:2: http://www.5dfilmmaking.com/tut_444.htm

PS: OK, case closed: whatever I do in "movie" mode, red blue and magenta never look as sharp as the others.

Actually, the darn thing can go 4:4:4(even with PIP enabled) if I rename the input to "PC" but then no more BFI & REC.709 gamut..

Last edited by leeperry; 16th August 2013 at 15:20.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling