Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th December 2009, 14:08   #21  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8ee View Post
edit: Hmm, disabling mb-tree isn't saved in a profile. It's checked when I load the profile again, and looking at the xml it says <NoMBTree>false</NoMBTree>.
edit 2: Correction - as far as I can see, none of my settings are saved at all. The changed settings are for ipod compliance: --profile baseline --level 3 --crf 20.0 --thread-input --ref 2 --vbv-bufsize 10000 --vbv-maxrate 10000 --no-mbtree --me umh --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 (which I think is the default, but I'm not quite sure)

edit 3: OK... it seems like loading the profile manually in the drop down menu in the config dialog brings up the correct commandline. I haven't made any test encodes to see if it's actually used yet, but I'll do that soon. Still, that the cabac checkbox does nothing makes me a little suspicious.
Both problems have been fixed (at least partially). Please try the new build and post again if any problem arise.
Cabac does nothing because in baseline profile it is already disabled. Please have a look at http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. If you find other settings which does not match with the GUI feel free to address them here.

Last edited by Zathor; 6th December 2009 at 14:11.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 17:32   #22  |  Link
bluebebe

thanks for the patch. everything is working fine now.
bluebebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 17:55   #23  |  Link
showergel

What exactly happened to MeGUI anyway?

So as of today, it has been 42 days without a single code commit on MeGUI's Sourceforge.net portal. This sudden stop by all members of the team seemingly has the symptom of some argument/disagreement.

This morning I looked at x264.nl and MeGUI has been removed from their home page. Hmmmm...

Anyway, if this is really going to be the next evolution of MeGUI, then perhaps you can check the code out of MeGUI's SVN and start a new project page. You'll also get hosted there and won't have to worry about posting to rapidshare, etc.

There is precedent for this; ffdshow became ffdshow-tryouts on sourceforge.
showergel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 20:56   #24  |  Link
Cisco7

I hope Kurtnoise and his co-workers will continue their incredible work on MeGUI or maybe qualified people could take care of the project and his evolution. Others GUIs are so annoying, smartless. MeGUI has been made by the users for the users. Please keep up your bloody good work, please keep us informed of your intention.
Cisco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 01:25   #25  |  Link
Zathor

MeGUI has so much potential to be the universal GUI for many aspects of multimedia encoding. The only purpose of my builds is to keep the project up and running (more or less) until the hard time is over and Kurtnoise or another one of the staff will continue their work. Maybe a few of my modifications are helpful for them.

I have no intention to take over this project. Beside a lack of time the most important thing is that I know that my programing skills are good enough for easy things in a supporting role - but way too weak for such a project in general.

I do not know why the project is on hold and I do not want to know it. There are surely reasons why this happened and why it has not been spread widely. My only hope is that the project has been suspended and not terminated.

Best wishes!
Old 7th December 2009, 04:30   #26  |  Link
mozzle

You've done a good thing here, Zathor.

Thank you.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:19   #27  |  Link
Triccotracco

Good work Zathor! Thank you very much!
Triccotracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 14:04   #28  |  Link
Zathor

Code:
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] fixed a crash bug
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] input and output path will be preselected if the window stays open
    - [BitrateCalculator] added experimental M2TS support
The M2TS support for the calculator is experimental and is based upon the "6 percent rule" (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1223719). Because this is only an educated guess I appreciate your feedback.

Additionally I have added a x264 BluRay profile as an example. The profile is based upon http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149711 and http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. The profile has the goal to fulfill the bluray specs and be playable on most standalone players. A few remarks:
--nal-hrd requires a patched x264
--b-pyramid strict can not be aplied while mbtree is enabled but it should work sometime in the future. Please ignore the warning in the log.

The profile has been created as I understand the profile management should work. Feel free to start a discussion if you think that it should work the other way around. The custom command line "locks" the settings you want to force while you can change the quality/speed with the preset slider. The "advanced settings" tabs have been disabled in order to not confuse the more inexperienced users.

Last edited by Zathor; 7th December 2009 at 14:07.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:40   #29  |  Link
JoeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco7 View Post
I hope Kurtnoise and his co-workers will continue their incredible work on MeGUI or maybe qualified people could take care of the project and his evolution. Others GUIs are so annoying, smartless. MeGUI has been made by the users for the users. Please keep up your bloody good work, please keep us informed of your intention.
+1. Thanks to Kurtnoise, Sharktooth and team for the single most useful X264 tool around. We all look forward to seeing it continue to thrive!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 19:47   #30  |  Link
Warbucks81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Code:
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] fixed a crash bug
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] input and output path will be preselected if the window stays open
    - [BitrateCalculator] added experimental M2TS support
The M2TS support for the calculator is experimental and is based upon the "6 percent rule" (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1223719). Because this is only an educated guess I appreciate your feedback.

Additionally I have added a x264 BluRay profile as an example. The profile is based upon http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149711 and http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. The profile has the goal to fulfill the bluray specs and be playable on most standalone players. A few remarks:
--nal-hrd requires a patched x264
--b-pyramid strict can not be aplied while mbtree is enabled but it should work sometime in the future. Please ignore the warning in the log.

The profile has been created as I understand the profile management should work. Feel free to start a discussion if you think that it should work the other way around. The custom command line "locks" the settings you want to force while you can change the quality/speed with the preset slider. The "advanced settings" tabs have been disabled in order to not confuse the more inexperienced users.
Thanks for the patched build. I assume this same profile would be good for creating MKV's for media player type devices.
Warbucks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 20:36   #31  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbucks81 View Post
Thanks for the patched build. I assume this same profile would be good for creating MKV's for media player type devices.
Yes, every device that’s able to play BluRay compliant streams should be able to play back these files. At least it did work for me in the past for PS3, some standalone players and my streaming capable TV. Nevertheless there may be devices where you have to use a more restrictive profile (e.g. limit vbv bitrate). And you should not crop the files because some devices have problems if its is not 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:51   #32  |  Link
j8ee

Profiles are not deleted, and --ref 2 is not saved for me in a profile, it goes back to default 3 (it says 2 in the xml though). edit: After the fourth restart and manual deletion of some profiles --ref 2 is loaded in the profile.

Last edited by j8ee; 7th December 2009 at 20:56.
j8ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 21:00   #33  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Profiles are not deleted, and --ref 2 is not saved for me in a profile, it goes back to default 3 (it says 2 in the xml though). edit: After the fourth restart and manual deletion of some profiles --ref 2 is loaded in the profile.
I can reproduce both problems. The deletion is fixed but I will upload a new build only after I have found the second problem.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:45   #34  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Both problems have been addressed in the build below.

Because of the greater changes regarding the file handling I do not want to change the link in the first post at the moment.

Link removed. Please have a look at the first posting.

Code:
- [MeGUISettings] change the default auto update server list to development
- [MeGUISettings] the update_cache location has been changed to a sub dir of the program dir
- [MeGUISettings] the avisynth plugin location has been changed to a sub dir of the program\tools dir
- [AviSynthWindow] + [AvisynthWrapper] LoadPlugin will be called for every DLL in the megui avisynth plugin dir
- [x264Config] changed the order the settings will be applied initially
This build does not require anymore write access outside of the program directory. Therefore it should be now much easier to use it in a more restrictive environment. It is even possible to have several versions installed independently.

Because I do not know if this is the way to go I would like to have feedback. The next step would be to disable the manual selection of the update_cache, avisynth plugin dir and maybe all other tools which will be installed automatically.

By the way: it is now possible - and I recommend it - to extract the zip file in an empty directory. It will be updated automatically through the development update server. Afterwards you have to update a few files manually (e.g. x264, mkvtools, eac3to, ...).

Last edited by Zathor; 8th December 2009 at 23:51. Reason: link removed
Old 8th December 2009, 00:38   #35  |  Link
SacredCultivator

Thanks for this patched build, my question is in regard to the update server... Even under Development, which server would you be using?
SacredCultivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 06:01   #36  |  Link
kool

Thank you Zathor for this great work,

A question, I'm on Win 7 32 Bit OS and don't have meGUI and Avisynth install yet, now when I want to install meGUI, which version you recommend Win 7?

Thanks in advance.
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 06:33   #37  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredCultivator View Post
Thanks for this patched build, my question is in regard to the update server... Even under Development, which server would you be using?
I have not changed the servers in any way and I use at the moment the first one. But both servers seems to have identical files. Nevertheless you have to update a few files yourself (most important x264.exe and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
A question, I'm on Win 7 32 Bit OS and don't have meGUI and Avisynth install yet, now when I want to install meGUI, which version you recommend Win 7?
Avisynth 2.5.8 and the MeGUI build posted above (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...01#post1350501)

Last edited by Zathor; 8th December 2009 at 06:39.
Old 8th December 2009, 08:53   #38  |  Link
JoeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Avisynth 2.5.8 and the MeGUI build posted above (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...01#post1350501)
I just installed this - it works GREAT! Thanks!

Here are the installation instructions I followed. As I had a few difficulties getting it installed, and finally found a safe and sure method, I thought I'd post it here:
1. Install the standard version 1056 from SourceForge
2. Update all parts using the "Stable" servers except the 1056 core
3. Change update server to development. Update all parts again except the 1056 core (if you do this without doing step 2 first you will get an error).
4. Copy the files that Zathor has prepared and select replace all.
When you open up MeGUI you will have a fully functional 1057 install, with full support for the new X264 features! Fantastic!

Zathor - thanks for your hard work. Here is a small feature request. I always ouput MKV files, but MeGUI always defaults to MP4 on the main screen. It would be great if MeGUI would save the last selected format, or had an option to set the default.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:00   #39  |  Link
szabi

Also many for it.
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:15   #40  |  Link
nakTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Zathor - thanks for your hard work. Here is a small feature request. I always ouput MKV files, but MeGUI always defaults to MP4 on the main screen. It would be great if MeGUI would save the last selected format, or had an option to set the default.
You can set MKV as default by going to:

Options>Settings>Extra Config>Configure Auto Encode Default>

And choose the container that you like.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote