Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2011, 13:43   #4221  |  Link
manolito

Handling of interlaced sources

Slowly I am getting a little deeper into the software...

For converting interlaced sources with X264 the process seems to be less automatic than it first looks. Right now I see two problems:

1. The source filter automatically adds "ConvertToYV12()" to the script. For interlaced sources this is incorrect, it should be "ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)" instead. This means that the user has to edit the source filter parameters manually.

2. If Yadif or TomsMoComp are used for deinterlacing, the field order of the source must be specified with "AssumeTFF()" or"AssumeBFF()". This means manually editing the field filter parameters.

My question is if this could be done automatically. The source already gets analyzed by MediaInfo, so the scan type and scan order of the source are known (at least in most cases, I hope). StaxRip would have to introduce 2 new macros called %source_scanorder% and %source_scantype%, and depending on these values the correct commands for field order and color conversion could be set.

If I decide to not deinterlace my source, am I correct that I have to use "Config Codec" and add a custom switch to the commandline which must be either "--tff" or "--bff" ? It looks like the "--interlaced" switch is not supportet by the current X264 any more.

Cheers
manolito
Old 28th November 2011, 19:52   #4222  |  Link
willscarlett

@manolito,
do i understand you right, that you would like to keep your video interlaced while converting?
The question would be why? Unless you use a non-flat tv for watching you just give your viewing equipment a hard time doing a real-time de-interlacing (I am in no way an expert on video-technology but i always thought i had understood that right :-D so feel free to correct me!)
edit: I just had an interlaced source (might be something special, it is bonus material on an otherwis non-interlaced dvd) and it came out just as interlaced as it was. i did not notice the interlace before, so i will now do the encode again with yadif-filter

@stax:
one of my nightly encodes just gave me this right after the start of encoding:
Quote:
Operation failed!
x264 failed with exit code -1073741819

StaxRip.ErrorAbortException: x264 failed with exit code -1073741819

at StaxRip.H264CmdlEncoder.Encode(String passName, String exe, String args, String[] logValuesToSkip) in C:\Daten\Projekte\StaxMedia\trunk\StaxRip\General\VideoEncoder.vb:line 2015
at StaxRip.x264Encoder.Encode() in C:\Daten\Projekte\StaxMedia\trunk\StaxRip\General\VideoEncoder.vb:line 1550
at StaxRip.MainForm.Encode() in C:\Daten\Projekte\StaxMedia\trunk\StaxRip\Forms\MainForm.vb:line 2133
at StaxRip.MainForm.RunJobs() in C:\Daten\Projekte\StaxMedia\trunk\StaxRip\Forms\MainForm.vb:line 3316
As I do not have those referenced folders on my drive they seem to be yours and I think we could go on speaking Deutsch, but that would not be of too much use for the other visitors :-D

So, the encode was set to the following parameters:
source: mkv (dvd).
Target: mkv (x264), 1pass.
x264 settings: 18, medium, film.
Audio settings: "just mux" (original ac3)
Filters: ffvideosource, (auto)crop

i used no resizing (progressive)

My System is Windows 7 x64.

I loaded and demuxed the source twice in staxrip, the error kept coming.

Greetings
Henrik

Last edited by willscarlett; 28th November 2011 at 20:34.
Old 28th November 2011, 22:24   #4223  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscarlett View Post
@manolito,
do i understand you right, that you would like to keep your video interlaced while converting?
The question would be why? Unless you use a non-flat tv for watching you just give your viewing equipment a hard time doing a real-time de-interlacing (I am in no way an expert on video-technology but i always thought i had understood that right :-D so feel free to correct me!)
I really am not sure if I should deinterlace interlaced sources for X264 conversions or not...
From my previous post:
Quote:
I do have a lot of experience converting xxx -> DVD, and generally it is recommended to keep interlaced sources interlaced.

For xxx -> XviD conversions it is mostly recommended to deinterlace interlaced sources for maximum compatibility with playback devices.

Now what about conversions with X264? HandBrake and StaxRip both do not provide a GUI setting to tell X264 to do an interlaced encode, but they both give you a couple of options to deinterlace your source. Does this mean that it is basically a good idea to deinterlace your source before encoding with X264?
I assume that a real time deinterlacer built into my SAP or TV can never achieve the quality which a good (although slow) software deinterlacer delivers. But some people here on this forum strongly disagree (one of them is Ghitulescu AFAIK).

Cheers
manolito
Old 1st December 2011, 14:49   #4224  |  Link
Doo

guys i need help
when i try to encode a DTS audio with eac3to it doesn't work and get the message program stopped working
this happens with staxrip
any ideas?
Old 1st December 2011, 22:14   #4225  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
guys i need help
when i try to encode a DTS audio with eac3to it doesn't work and get the message program stopped working
any ideas?
What flavor of DTS? There's the HD stuff, then there's the core/lossy.
Are you actually encoding DTS to something else, like AAC?
I might be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure that if you're doing anything other than a straight mux of your DTS audio, then you'll need the ArcSoft DTS components.
Old 2nd December 2011, 05:26   #4226  |  Link
burfadel

Thanks for the update Stax

A couple of change in x264 api were missed though:
  • For the --open-gop command under 'Frame Options', 'bluray' and 'normal' are no longer options. The setting is either just on (--open-gop) or off! Using the settings in Staxrip will cause an error, to use currently you need to set it to 'none' an manually add it in the command line section
  • Under 'Analysis', Mode 11 is missing under 'Subpixel Refinement'. In x264, mode 11 was added to the 'Subpixel motion estimation and mode decision', and its function is 'Full-RD: disable all early-terminations'
Mode 11 is of limited benefit at the moment, its benefits explained in the commit comment: 'Necessary for a future trellis mode decision/motion estimation patch.'. However, its status is explained at the bottom of the x264 development thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108570&page=89

In any case though, its still a changed option the -open-gop change is the most important one for now, since in its current state when either option is selected it actually prevents x264 from starting. A simple change to a checkbox without the bluray/normal settings?

Thanks!

Last edited by burfadel; 2nd December 2011 at 05:30.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:49   #4227  |  Link
heldiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscarlett View Post
Hello! I am back with a Problem ^^

I have directories containing multiple mkv-files containing dvd-material, that i would like to compress using almost the same settings for each output file. I understand that "file batch" should be the mode to use. BUT!:
When I open the files in file-batch-mode and have "create jobs" turned on, staxrip does not do the preparations (demuxing/indexing etc.) so I get Jobs that I can not edit or start due to missing files/scripts etc.
When I disable "create jobs" staxrip does the preparations for each file, but closes the files afterwards so that I can't do anything but re-open the files in single-mode. But if I do that, the Preparations are done all over again, so the Batch did not make any sense.

What am I doing wrong? I just would like the preparations being performed and jobs created which I can edit before hitting "start" (I need to apply some manual cutting to some of the files)

Is it a bug or a feature? ^^

Thx in Advance!
Hello guys,

i spent some hours trying to fix that issue by myself and looking for a solution here in this thread before disturbing you with it.

I got exactly the same problem like the person i just quoted:

I have many many MKVs to encode. I really love to use Staxrip for that. Did someone find out how you can batch encode files in a way, that you add your files, let them all demux one by one and afterwards edit your jobs in the joblist, do your work like selecting the subtitles, audiotracks etc.?

Lg,
heldiX
Old 5th December 2011, 16:17   #4228  |  Link
fantasmanegro

the batch encode works as you said above... set template and filters for all the movies in directory... but just one time, the first time before you add your files... staxrip takes the same settings for each job, so if you resize to 480p, all the movies you encode will have 480p height...
Old 7th December 2011, 01:45   #4229  |  Link
impei

Quote:
guys i need help
any ideas?
Maybe I'm missing someting but the only way I've been able to make this work is to use Audioconverter to convert the DTS track to AC3.

http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/
Old 19th December 2011, 21:06   #4230  |  Link
fano

Two question for you
  1. I've done a remux in mkv of a BD5 using "just mux" for video and the first audio track /II is recompressed in AAC) the problem I'm having is with subtitles... they're correctly muxed (but I'd say a little difficult to find) but they're always showed... there is an way to have them default off ?
  2. When I add a BD Staxrip starts to demux in its elemnts... then
    I show the track(s) to compress/mux, but If I choose my
    audio track(s) I've a submenu that says DTS-HD an so on... what's its scope? I expect it converts the track to DTS-HDD,
    but it gives me a not very nice error and bails out

Thanks for your useful program (and it's fast as hell ) and thanks for you help...
Old 21st December 2011, 08:36   #4231  |  Link
VincAlastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I'll upload a new version very soon so last chance to request a fix or feature!
sorry, i read this message to late... but if it is not to complicated it were great to add an option to set forced sub's in mkv container config.

anyway, thank you for update!
Old 24th December 2011, 01:15   #4232  |  Link
TBKHomeworld!

Quote:
guys i need help
any ideas?
Follow my tutorial and all of your DTS issues will mysteriously go away. :-)

http://www.tbkhomeworld.com/staxrip Been using StaxRip since V1.1.1.0 days, so I have some experience with it.
Old 24th December 2011, 01:22   #4233  |  Link
TBKHomeworld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@TBKHomeworld!

It's been some time... , maybe you can upload a sample clip.
I have sent you a PM in regards to this issue that includes a complete .log dump.
Old 25th December 2011, 07:31   #4234  |  Link
stax76

@TBKHomeworld!

Unfortunately I don't have a sample file with similar format, most of my sample files are PAL. Maybe you can upload a small sample file and pm me the download link. If the DVD has only big files maybe you can create a smaller one trimming with DVD Shrink.

Quote:
My question is if this could be done automatically. The source already gets analyzed by MediaInfo, so the scan type and scan order of the source are known (at least in most cases, I hope).
MediaInfo didn't give any info about scan order on all files I tried.

@willscarlett

to quote kemure 9:

Quote:
the exit code reported is an access violation exception (0xC0000005), which would be caused by hitting the 2GB memory limit for a 32bit process.
as x264 checks its own memory allocations and after the first X frames where x264 has allocated all the frames its going to use it never allocates more memory,
the exception very likely arose from avisynth.
@burfadel

Thanks for the info, it will be fixed.

Quote:
I have many many MKVs to encode. I really love to use Staxrip for that. Did someone find out how you can batch encode files in a way, that you add your files, let them all demux one by one and afterwards edit your jobs in the joblist, do your work like selecting the subtitles, audiotracks etc.?
It's not supported, for what exactly do you need manual editing?

Quote:
I've done a remux in mkv of a BD5 using "just mux" for video and the first audio track /II is recompressed in AAC) the problem I'm having is with subtitles... they're correctly muxed (but I'd say a little difficult to find) but they're always showed... there is an way to have them default off ?
Maybe I can reproduce it if you mail me the log file.

Quote:
When I add a BD Staxrip starts to demux in its elemnts...
You mean the eac3to GUI? I've not used it for a long time since I usualy make MKV files with MakeMKV.

Last edited by stax76; 25th December 2011 at 08:39.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:34   #4235  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
MediaInfo didn't give any info about scan order on all files I tried.
Really?

I tried 2 VOB files with the current CLI version of MediaInfo 0.7.52, one is progressive, the other one interlaced. Here is what I got within the Video section:

Progressive
Code:
Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan type                                : Progressive
Interlacement                            : PPF
Interlacement                            : Progressive
Interlaced
Code:
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : TFF
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Interlacement                            : TFF
Interlacement                            : Top Field First
I have not tried it with other source formats yet...

Cheers
manolito
Old 4th January 2012, 21:34   #4236  |  Link
bingo

Hi,
I want to rotate a clip and save this in a Template.
I've found that the function TurnRight() should do it, but I can't figure out where to write this in StaxRip.
PLS help me.. I've search for hours...
Old 14th January 2012, 01:44   #4237  |  Link
manolito

Latest MKVToolNix versions

In the recent versions of MKVToolNix there has been some confusion about the correct track IDs and track numbering. The current version 5.21 definitely does things differently than earlier versions, it even required an update to MKVExtractGUI2.

This current version 5.21 of MKVToolNix does not work with StaxRip. Audio tracks will not be identified correctly.

So please stick with the version 5.01 which comes with StaxRip.

Cheers
manolito
Old 14th January 2012, 23:28   #4238  |  Link
Navalynt

I work quite extensively with Android OS on tablets and handsets, so I spent several weeks testing different variations to create a more-or-less universal template for encoding. The quality is coming out amazing, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the encoding time without sacrificing quality. TBK, any thoughts?

Attached are the two templates I created (one for Blu-Ray, one for DVD). My avisynth plugins folder is an absolute mess from working with different filters, but I did zip it up and upload it to multiupload HERE.

Edit: Since attachment is still pending approval, here it is from Multiupload.com

I have tested the encoded video files on iPhone 4, iPad, iPad2, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, LG Optimus 3D (althought not ripped in 3D), Motorola Atrix, HTC Sensation, and HTC Desire.

Stax, one small annoyance I have is that I cannot use the same source audio file for both tracks. I have to make a copy of the audio track and manually select it for the second track. Is that something that could be addressed in a future update? If two audio tracks are specified for encoding that they will both populate in the GUI and encode from the same source file?

For making my templates sort of "universal" the two audio tracks are essential. The first (default) track needs to be Stereo AAC-LC for compatibility with many devices, but the second track is AAC VBR 5.1 so when outputing to my TV I can select to have surround sound. Miraculously, this works perfectly in the MP4 file container as well!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Android-Templates.rar (9.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Navalynt; 17th January 2012 at 06:12.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:22   #4239  |  Link
onixvid

I am curious why I cannot "Just Mux" an MKV to mp4 for video passthrough, only re-encoding the audio to AAC (whether 2.0 or 5.1). I can "Just Mux" from MKV to MKV with audio re-encode, but not to MP4. The error I get is that mp4 container does not support this this format and StaxRip will not let me click Next. Any ideas?

Right now I use StaxRip-YAMB in combination to go from MKV to MKV to re-encode the audio and then YAMB to convert it to mp4.

(My apologies, if this has already been asked.)
Old 20th January 2012, 11:14   #4240  |  Link
prorokrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo View Post
Hi,
I want to rotate a clip and save this in a Template.
I've found that the function TurnRight() should do it, but I can't figure out where to write this in StaxRip.
PLS help me.. I've search for hours...
There are several ways how to do it.

Important note: Before following this manual, make sure you HAVEN'T loaded any source file. If you have StaxRip running, the safest way is close StaxRip and then run it again.
  1. Just add your function in a project.
    • In the section "Filters" right-click in the empty space. In the context menu choose "Add" -> "Misc" -> "Assume 25 fps".
      (Or right-click on a filter, and in the context menu choose "Insert" -> "Misc" -> "Assume 25 fps".)
    • Left double-click on newly created row. You'll see "AssumeFPS(25, 1, true)". Replace the text with your function, e. g. "TurnRight()"
    • Press Ok.
    • Although you'll still see Assume 25 FPS in the description, it'll do your function "TurnRight()" actually.
    • Using drag&drop place your function in desired position.
  2. Add it in to avisynth profiles. This is recommended because this way you'll be able to use your function in different projects without a need to change the template.
    • Right-click in the section "Filters". In the context menu choose "Filter Setup" -> "Edit Profiles".
    • Window "AviSynth Profiles" will popup. You should see there "Default Filter Setup" profile at least.
    • In the profile list click on "Default Filter Setup" item.
    • Click "Clone" button.
    • Click "Rename" button and enter a new name for your profile, e. g. "Turn right my video". Click "Ok".
    • Click "Edit" button. The window "Filters" will popup.
    • Here you can adjust your profile as you wish. If you want you can add or remove items, edit them, change their order with drag&drop. Feel free to experiment (try to right-click, double-click in different columns and in empty space). You can even add optional items and leave them unchecked so usually they wouldn't be used but when you would want them to use you'll just check the checkbox.
    • After finishing your adjustments click "Close" button in "Filters" window and then "Ok" button in "AviSynth Profiles" window.
    • Right-click in "Filters" section". In context menu choose "Filter Setup" -> "Turn right my video"
  3. If you wish you can now adjust other settings regarding video or audio or settings in "Options" window. Then save your settings as a new template.
    However, this step is not necessary because you'll have your avisynth profile available in all templates.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265