Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th December 2015, 03:51   #34901  |  Link
daglax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
If you designate your projector as such, you get "Screen Config" options. I believe this should do what you want in conjunction with profiles and the "Crop Black Borders" option in Zoom Control.
And how does this work? Couldn't find any information about that feature at all.

Here is a quick explanation of what i wanna do:
My masking reduces the screen size to the most common aspect ratio these days: 2.4:1. Only the upper side of the screen is masked, so i need to movethe image to the bottom of the screen, which is no problem for madvr. The problem is, that there are movies with an asprect ratio of 2.35:1 an i want to crop the extra pixels to perfectly match my masked screen.

I don't know, if madvr has an option for this.

Last edited by daglax; 29th December 2015 at 04:00.
daglax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 06:37   #34902  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglax View Post
And how does this work? Couldn't find any information about that feature at all.
In settings, go to devices and select your projector. Then make sure "Digital Projector" is selected. Once this is done you should have a 6th selection under your projector that says "screen config" that has "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders".

Frankly, I think the only tricky part about it is making sure that your projector is defined as such so that the 'screen option' appears. After that, everything else seems quite obvious.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 10:58   #34903  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I don't have a settings.bin either. I don't think this file exists.
I have always had a settings.bin file even when installing to program files with Win10. I am using an administrator account but UAC is set to default. I have backed it up and restored madVR's settings with it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
It's been suggested to me to turn off the DVI Dithering on my AMD card. Should i or shouldn't i? Does the dithering restrict the color gamut?
Only turn off dithering for testing, never for normal use. Dithering does not restrict the color gamut. What does dithering have to do with the color gamut?

Last edited by Asmodian; 29th December 2015 at 11:01.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 16:12   #34904  |  Link
daglax

Is there an option in the madvr script language to activate profiles based on the active display?
For example:
if (device = Samsung XY) "profile1" else "profile2"

@jomnier
Thanks that did help! I needed to adjust a video playback option in MPC-HC and then it worked!
daglax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 16:00   #34905  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

@madshi
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173005
could this be implemented real time in madvr so I don't have to go re-encode all my videos to 4:4:4?
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 17:14   #34906  |  Link
GameGod

Mouse Cursor and FSE mode

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I did a search, but couldn't really find an answer.

The issue I'm having is that the mouse cursor always shows up in the center of the screen for a few seconds when play back starts up, which is kind of annoying.

I tried moving the cursor off screen before starting play back but that doesn't seem to help.

Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening?

Spec:
MadVR 0.89.17 on Win 7 x32.
Nvidia GTX 950, with 358.87 drivers.
Zoom Player Pro 10.

Thanks.
GameGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 18:58   #34907  |  Link
TobiMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGod View Post
The issue I'm having is that the mouse cursor always shows up in the center of the screen for a few seconds when play back starts up, which is kind of annoying.
That's odd, as ZoomPlayer hides the cursor more reliable than other software, at least for me. There's an option in ZoomPlayer ->Interface ->Mouse -> Hide the mouse cursor (at the top)... maybe you can adjust the seconds?
TobiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 20:39   #34908  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
@madshi
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173005
could this be implemented real time in madvr so I don't have to go re-encode all my videos to 4:4:4?
if I see this right this is not a shader.
and bilateral and superres(not sure of the current version) try to do the same.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 21:03   #34909  |  Link
StinDaWg

Is there anything I can do to improve the awful clock deviation on my AMD 7850? It seems no matter what settings I change (and I've tried them all), I always get at least 1 dropped or repeated frame during a 2 hour movie and it's really jarring. Video micro-stutters and the audio makes a loud glitching noise. It will fluctuate between 1 frame repeat every couple hours or sometimes days, but then will sometimes drop into the minutes for no rhyme or reason.

I'm about to throw this card out the window because I don't remember having these problems when I had a GTX 960.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 21:19   #34910  |  Link
huhn

the issue could be the audio renderer too. I mean you get audio glitches.

and if you want to get an 960 for a better video clock than i have to say you without a custom resolution you are more than lost.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 21:29   #34911  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
if I see this right this is not a shader.
and bilateral and superres(not sure of the current version) try to do the same.
It's different from super res, kind of similar to bilateral but not the exact same thing, bilateral could constantly produce both magic and garbage, that filter almost never produces garbage (because of super sampling and low frequency protection)
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 22:08   #34912  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the issue could be the audio renderer too. I mean you get audio glitches.

and if you want to get an 960 for a better video clock than i have to say you without a custom resolution you are more than lost.
I'm using the default windows directsound renderer. It only glitches at the same point that the video drops/stutters. I've also tried Reclock and the same thing happens.

I used to have a 960. Used custom resolution and never had any of these issues.

I see AMD released 15.12 drivers with custom timing option so I will play around with that.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 23:40   #34913  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Is there anything I can do to improve the awful clock deviation on my AMD 7850? It seems no matter what settings I change (and I've tried them all), I always get at least 1 dropped or repeated frame during a 2 hour movie and it's really jarring. Video micro-stutters and the audio makes a loud glitching noise. It will fluctuate between 1 frame repeat every couple hours or sometimes days, but then will sometimes drop into the minutes for no rhyme or reason.

I'm about to throw this card out the window because I don't remember having these problems when I had a GTX 960.
I would use Smooth motion.
Old 30th December 2015, 23:48   #34914  |  Link
XMonarchY

Will FilmGrain effect ever be added to madVR? From what I understand, it partially acts as semi-dithering, but mostly enhances perception of image detail. It could be a useful effect!
Old 31st December 2015, 02:05   #34915  |  Link
GameGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiMan View Post
That's odd, as ZoomPlayer hides the cursor more reliable than other software, at least for me. There's an option in ZoomPlayer ->Interface ->Mouse -> Hide the mouse cursor (at the top)... maybe you can adjust the seconds?
I tried this, and a few other settings but the cursor still shows up and then disappears. The only option that works is ZoomPlayer -> Interface -> Mouse -> Settings -> Always disable mouse cursor, but then the cursor is never shown when invoking the context menu, etc.

You don't see this issue at all? The cursor never appears in the middle of the screen for you? Do you use the display mode switching feature?

Thanks.
Old 31st December 2015, 02:36   #34916  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Will FilmGrain effect ever be added to madVR?
I think this has a particularly high chance of happening before 1.0.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 16:39   #34917  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I'm using the default windows directsound renderer. It only glitches at the same point that the video drops/stutters. I've also tried Reclock and the same thing happens.

I used to have a 960. Used custom resolution and never had any of these issues.

I see AMD released 15.12 drivers with custom timing option so I will play around with that.
Does your GPU clock go up and down while you're watching ? If so, then you may want to try this utility.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 16:59   #34918  |  Link
Kranium
I'm Confused

Quote:

You don't see this issue at all? The cursor never appears in the middle of the screen for you? Do you use the display mode switching feature?

Thanks.
I paid attention while watching last night and mine also leaves the pointer visable for a few seconds when loading a file in MPC-HC/madVR so maybe it's not the player. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Windows fault in the hand off for exclusive mode, but I'm no expert. Just confirming you aren't alone
Old 31st December 2015, 18:10   #34919  |  Link
GameGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
I paid attention while watching last night and mine also leaves the pointer visable for a few seconds when loading a file in MPC-HC/madVR so maybe it's not the player. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Windows fault in the hand off for exclusive mode, but I'm no expert. Just confirming you aren't alone
Thanks. On another forum, the thinking was that it was somehow related to Logitech products and display rate switching. I have a Logitech K400 Plus and use MadVR to switch the refresh rate.

Does that apply to you as well?
Old 31st December 2015, 18:54   #34920  |  Link
Kranium
I'm Confused

Quote:
Thanks. On another forum, the thinking was that it was somehow related to Logitech products and display rate switching. I have a Logitech K400 Plus and use MadVR to switch the refresh rate.

Does that apply to you as well?
I do have a logitech TK820 and if I watch a 24p Bluray there would be switching since my desktop is at 60hz. I can try turning off the setting in madVR to switch the rate to match the source (in "Display Modes" section). I can also close the logitech systray application that controls things like pointer speed and gesture support.

Last edited by Kranium; 31st December 2015 at 18:57.
Kranium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling