Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 26th February 2002, 21:43   #1  |  Link
disneyland

MP3-File Size is zero

All works well with the video file, Azid runs, but when LAME take over to convert the AC3 file to MP3 and interleave, I receive the error:
ERROR: MP3-File size is zero! Transcoding failed. I'm using the most recent version of LAME and Doom's settings. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Gary
disneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 01:40   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

does lame crash? what happens if you run lame manually on the wav file you got from azid?
Old 27th February 2002, 12:53   #3  |  Link
SimonT

Just had the same errors, and I think it was caused by the Custom parameters (Expert) outlined in the Doom9 guide for Divx4 GKnot (the bottom box in Audio Settings).

If set the way the guide says (inside the red box), it fails at the Lame stage - I think because the setting is invalid for Lame.

The guide says to use '--alt-preset 128' which I think causes the failure. The default for GordianKnot '-h --abr 128' seems to work fine, and I think is what the guide is trying to suggest anyway. The extra two expert features for Azid in the guide (that are different to the GKnot defaults) just change the verbosity level of the text output as far as I can tell, so are also unnecessary.

Or am I not talking about the same thing here?
SimonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 14:14   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. if you use the regular gknot installer you can't use these parameters because lame.exe doesn't know it.. but if you use the 3.91 one the everything works (I tested it many times).
Old 27th February 2002, 14:29   #5  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

That's why Doom9 recommends installing Lame 3.91 in his guide.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2002, 14:55   #6  |  Link
SimonT

OK, looks like not using 3.91 is where I came undone, as did probably disneyland. Got 3.91 now, and will use it from now on.

To clarify though, does '--abr 128' do the exact same thing as '--alt-preset 128' ?

The html docs for 3.91 (labelled 3.90 in the index file), still don't mention '--alt-preset' as a parameter....

Also, are the extra parameters for Azid (-z1 and -b1) only for verbosity levels, with no effect on the resulting audio?

And speaking of new versions, is it OK to use Azid 1.8, instead of GKnot's 1.7, and use the '-a' parameter as an expert function to find the maximum gain volume, or will this make a mess of some other part of the GKnot process?

Last edited by SimonT; 27th February 2002 at 15:38.
Old 28th February 2002, 01:38   #7  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

I can give you an answer to one of your many questions. --alt-preset is not the same as --abr 128. It takes longer, but produces much better results. If they were the same, Doom9 would have recommended using the GKnot defaults and the older Lame.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 02:08   #8  |  Link
SimonT

OK, great, thanks! Makes sense of course (that it does something different) or as you say it wouldn't have been mentioned. The description of the setting in the guide doesn't go into full detail though, so I wasn't sure. The Lame 3.91 docs don't mention the new parameter (that I could see) except for in the changelog (History).

OK, I tell a lie, just looked again and there it is. Not in its alphabetical-order spot though, which is what tricked me. Should have searched for it I guess. Thanks for the help everyone!

As has been said time and time again, I should have read the guides WORD FOR WORD, and I wouldn't have missed the bit about installing the new version of LAME.
Old 28th February 2002, 02:47   #9  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@simon: don't worry too much, we're not going to hang you for screwing up once but I guess the next time you will have a 2nd look at the guide and readmes before posting and that's what counts.
Old 28th February 2002, 03:20   #10  |  Link
SimonT

Just to clarify - I didn't post asking for help with something I had stuffed up. I posted to help someone else, and my guess is if disneyland had made the same mistake as me my advice would have had him fixed up. Because I tried to help someone else out, I also am now wiser for it, so it's all worked out well in the end anyway.....