Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2003, 01:28   #301  |  Link
Movie ManiacŪ

New GUI Vs. Old GUI

I took a look to the new release

I'm not here to report any bug since I haven't enough tyime for testing at the moment, I'm studyin' hard...

I just want to say that, in my opinion, the new GUI is a little bit complicated, and this may have the effect of discouraging many users, especially newbyes. I think that the old GUI interface was more logical (i mean the disposition...) and intituive than the new one.

Especially the new profiles smells like divx, and that's not really good. i think that divx is really miles far (behind) xvid, so why imitate it? A famous spot in italy says don't himitate, just innovate! I think this should be xvid developer's anthem.

Anyhow, this is not a bug , and the official release is far from coming, so there's enough time for you to make necessary changes to make the guy look better and more user friendly.

Please, dont be angry with me, it's just my opinion. I'll carry on using xvid and suggesting it to my visitors, whatever will happen!!!

Bye

P.S. I forgot to say that somewhere in the GUI it is written "Global motion compenation"

and author of MMAATŪ

Last edited by Movie ManiacŪ; 5th December 2003 at 01:32.
Old 5th December 2003, 01:32   #302  |  Link
Joe Fenton

Quote:
Originally posted by AgeOfPanic
I'm trying this codec too when I'm writing this. The first pass has just finished. I enabled almost anything in the codec, because I read that everything works and I would like to see the result. I was expecting a little speed encrease, but my first pass only took 42 minutes or so. The video rendering rate was about 66 fps(!). The second pass seems normal with about 8 fps. Has anybody else seen this phenomenom?
Yep! In Gordian Knot. It doesn't handle the new 1.0 XviD properly. It gives you some outrageous FPS rate for the first pass when it really did absolutely nothing. The second pass is really the first pass, and the real second pass never gets done.

I had to quit GK and use VirtualDubMod directly to get it to work correctly.
Old 5th December 2003, 02:09   #303  |  Link
KpeX

Any program that automated devapi3 xvid two pass encoding will not work without an update, mainly because some of the registry values are different now. Mainly the mode, before the 'mode' value could be 0-5, i think with 3 and 5 corresponding to the first and second pass, and now 1 and 2 correspond to the first and second pass modes. Therefore GK thinks it's in a different encoding mode than it is, so don't look to use any automated tools without an update to support devapi4. hth,
Old 5th December 2003, 03:29   #304  |  Link
jarthel
plebian

The most common bug I encountered is vdubmod crashing on the last frame maybe near it. It's already 99% and vsubnmod suddenly spews out an error. I'm not so sure what is it (I will post again if it happens again) but it's something related to thread.cpp? maybe not the exact filename but it should be near that.

jayel

ps. more details or better yet a screenshot.
Old 5th December 2003, 03:42   #305  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Re: New GUI Vs. Old GUI

Quote:
Originally posted by Movie ManiacŪ
I took a look to the new release

I'm not here to report any bug since I haven't enough tyime for testing at the moment, I'm studyin' hard...

I just want to say that, in my opinion, the new GUI is a little bit complicated, and this may have the effect of discouraging many users, especially newbyes. I think that the old GUI interface was more logical (i mean the disposition...) and intituive than the new one.

Especially the new profiles smells like divx, and that's not really good. i think that divx is really miles far (behind) xvid, so why imitate it? A famous spot in italy says don't himitate, just innovate! I think this should be xvid developer's anthem.

Anyhow, this is not a bug , and the official release is far from coming, so there's enough time for you to make necessary changes to make the guy look better and more user friendly.

Please, dont be angry with me, it's just my opinion. I'll carry on using xvid and suggesting it to my visitors, whatever will happen!!!

Bye

P.S. I forgot to say that somewhere in the GUI it is written "Global motion compenation"
I think having this kind of support for profiles and levels is extremely extremely necessary for any professional MPEG-4 encoder. That said, Xvid's current user base fully expects to be able to bypass all that junk and just use the options they want to (and it appears you can still do all that, it just takes a little extra effort).

The GUI can definitely use a good deal of streamlining and simplification. However, you're now being given a good deal more power and flexibility than with dev-api-3, so there's no possible way to make AS SIMPLE as the old GUI while still giving all these extra options.

I think that the popup tooltips for every single object in the GUI needs to be crammed full of as much information and as many recommendations as possible. I like when the tooltips give you so much information that you don't even feel the need to consult any guides.
Old 5th December 2003, 04:12   #306  |  Link
dragongodz

sorry if i missed someone reporting this already. ead all the pages very quick.

1-pass with b-frames (1 or 2) on playback first frame shows "warning: noithing, bframe decoder la"(asume lag since its cut off) using xvid beta1 decoder(playback or loading in virtualdub). using divx 5.1.1 for decoding does not produce a message.
Old 5th December 2003, 07:32   #307  |  Link
jarthel
plebian

I forgot to add the settings

2-pass with 2nd-pass target set to 273000.
bframe (3/1.5/1 which I think is the default)
lumamasking (or whatever they call it now)
default quantization with trellis enabled
cartoon mode
ultra
wide-search
h.243

1st pass works flawlessly. it's the 2nd pass that has given me fits and it happens all the time for that particular vob and other vobs (encoding an anime). It doesn't have any problems with the encodes. I don't think it's the vob that is the problem cause it was encoded previously using 17-july-2003 Nic's xvid.

I'll provide a screenshot.
Old 5th December 2003, 09:25   #308  |  Link
Hylas
Musing Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally posted by LigH
sysKin's "secret" version "xvid1.0beta1.1" fixed the "crash on interlaced encoding" bug! Interlaced encoding works fine in 1-pass modes with any matrix, even custom ones, using this DLL.
Any plans for a non-secret release? I'd like to have a working interlaced mode.

Quote:
Bad news: 2-pass encoding only works with both H.263 and B frames; it doesn't work with MPEG or Custom matrix, or without B frames.
In general, or only with interlaced on?
Old 5th December 2003, 09:59   #309  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by Zep
Cool Feature Xvid is missing and needs IMHO.

Give Xvid a checkbox option so that if checked then on the
firstpass it saves a yv12 lossless encode. (you could use VBLE
or write your own)

Now on the second pass instead of reading in from original
file or avisynth via frame serving, you read in and encode
from the lossless yv12 file made on the first pass.

Why do this? Well in my case i cap HDTV at 1920 x 1080i
and it is slow to filter. Real slow! and having to filter
it each pass is crazy when it was done on first pass just
fine and dandy

this way you save a TON of time because you only filter
once and since you get the first pass stats also this beats
doing a 1 pass encode on my own using lossless VBLE then a two
pass on that file (which is what i do now to save the mega
hours wasted on the 2nd pass re filter. i also get to re encode
it and try new settings in xvid without having to filter it again
in avisynth and waste more mega hours)

the only downside, more disk space is needed but anyone doing caps
should have plenty

Thanks

Zep
Why would this have to be something in XviD? Use VDub's job control and set it to first encode the VBLE, then encode the XviD first and second pass from the VBLE. You'll find that it takes just as much time as filtering, VBLE and first xvid pass at the same time. Plus, if something goes wrong during filtering to VBLE, you'll still have something useful, which is not the case with XviD.
Quote:
Originally posted by Prettz
I'm sure that filtering takes absolutely nothing at all compared to the amount of time it takes to encode Xvid at that resolution. I don't even want to imagine how large a VBLE video at HDTV resolution would be, either. (BTW, how large would it be?)
My 1600x864 matrix reloaded trailer in VBLE was about 1.5GB. That is for a trailer of about 1 or 2 minutes.
Old 5th December 2003, 12:21   #310  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by jarthel
The most common bug I encountered is vdubmod crashing on the last frame maybe near it. It's already 99% and vsubnmod suddenly spews out an error.
You didn't say which version of VirtualDubMod you're using, but 1.5.10.1 came out 2 days ago...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmod

np: Underworld - Dark & Long (Dark Train) (Underworld 1992-2002)
Old 5th December 2003, 13:07   #311  |  Link
unixfs

Corrupt 1st pass logfile

Hi,
when I use xvid-1.0 beta with mencoder, near the end of the first pass
the logfile gets corrupted: it gets almost totally filled with \x0.
The same happened with xvid-api3
Is it a known bug?

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2003, 13:46   #312  |  Link
cweb

Quote:
Originally posted by cweb
Merging with mkvmerge works, so it's a problem with Virtualdubmod...
I'll use mkvmerge for the time being until vdubmod gets updated...
Problem solved by Virtualdubmod 1.5.10.1 which was just released on the same day I posted...

Great news!
Old 5th December 2003, 13:48   #313  |  Link
cweb

Re: Corrupt 1st pass logfile

Quote:
Originally posted by unixfs
Hi,
when I use xvid-1.0 beta with mencoder, near the end of the first pass
the logfile gets corrupted: it gets almost totally filled with \x0.
The same happened with xvid-api3
Is it a known bug?

Thanks.
How do you tell mencoder to use XviD? I compiled the cvs of mencoder/mplayer with the latest beta XviD source, under Linux, and it installed succesfully yet XviD isn't one of the codecs available for encoding somehow. I suspect I have to configure something else - a config file perhaps.
Old 5th December 2003, 14:33   #314  |  Link
unixfs

you just need to run make install in xvidcore/build/generic
and verify if you have xvid.h in /usr/local/include and libxvidcore.{a|so} in /usr/local/lib.

when you run configure in mplayer source tree verify if xvid is in the
list of enabled codec, if not configure.log will explain why.
Old 5th December 2003, 15:32   #315  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ Leak, Hylas:

Both points refer to sysKin's beta 1.1 - and both tests were made with interlaced settings.
Closed Thread