Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2012, 20:53   #1  |  Link
jumpjack

Extracting VOB file from raw .dd disk image

My HD/DVD recorder broken up.
I want to recover data from the HD, which is working and visibile to my Windows XP, which is not able to understand the format of the hard disk.

I extracted a raw .dd image from the drive, and I see a lot of occurrences of this sequence:
00 00 01 BA 44 00 04 00 04 01 01 89 C3 F8 00 00 01 BB 00 12 80 C4 E1

It should mark VOB or VRO files:

http://filext.com/file-extension/VRO
http://file.fyicenter.com/File-Exten...ect-Files.html

Can I extract them with any software?
jumpjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 08:26   #2  |  Link
xenex

jumpjack-

Although I have not used it myself, I believe I have found a program that will do exactly what you need. See this:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

"PhotoRec works with hard disks, CD-ROMs, memory cards (Compact Flash, Memory Stick, SecureDigital/SD, SmartMedia, Microdrive, MMC, etc.), USB memory drives, DD raw image, EnCase E01 image, etc."
"PhotoRec searches for known file headers. If there is no data fragmentation, which is often the case, it can recover the whole file."

I have nothing to do with this program, but it is GPLv2 free software and the description leads me to believe it might work for you. Hope it helps.

-xenex
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 09:29   #3  |  Link
jumpjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenex View Post
jumpjack-

Although I have not used it myself, I believe I have found a program that will do exactly what you need. See this:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Thanks, I tried and it "quite" works: it successfully found several GBs of MPG files (not VOB); but there's a major issue I have to try to fix now: a single multi-GB file contains dozens of clips from different recordings, all mixed together!!!
So somewhere on the disk there should be a "map". I don't know if I'll ever be able to find and even decode it! :-(
Old 9th January 2012, 15:26   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

IIRC, all the recordings are put together into a single big VRO file (which has the same format as a regular VOB, similar to a standard MPEG-2 since it contains no additional tracks, like multiaudio or subtitles).
I think TMPGenc DVD Author can read VRO (at least this is what I use) but I think it still needs the IFO to set the chapters/movies.
Or you can recover the VRO and split it with a MPEG-2 editor (there must be I-frames at the beginning of each recording, so even the simplest one should work). Beware at DAR changings though. It's a lot of work, but at least you'll have everything recovered.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:19   #5  |  Link
jumpjack

What are "DAR changings"?

Anyway, the tool also recovered two IFO files, which I guess are not enough to "remap" the MPEG chunks...

Do VRO files have a "mapping feature" for their contents?!?
Old 10th January 2012, 10:52   #6  |  Link
xenex

DAR is "display aspect ratio" as some videos are in 4:3 and some in 16:9 ratios.

Try this - rename the largest MPG file you recovered to VR_MOVIE.VRO and the largest IFO file to VR_MANGR.IFO.

The IFO file is the "map" so to speak for the VRO file. Try to load this into TMPGenc DVD Author as Ghitulescu said. This will probably be able to find all of the chapters / recordings.

I cannot guarantee this is correct, but I read it from the specs here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-VR

Good luck.

-xenex
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 11:42   #7  |  Link
jumpjack

I have only two IFOs for a couple dozens of MPEGs, there's something wrong here... :-(
Old 12th January 2012, 16:10   #8  |  Link
Pata

Using scalpel maybe your program, maybe boot from a live cd and using scalpel.
Here some links:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15761...buntu-live-cd/
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Toolsata_Recovery

Good Luck

//Pata
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 17:49   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Try to find another recorder (same model preferred), make sure you saved a duplicate of the HDD and see if it recognises it (there are chances, albeit a few, since the HDD is not the original and they may require either a hack or a new formatting - google for your own model to see details).
Unless it's a Chinese [clone], any serious recorder uses its own format (Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic etc.), recovery tools for FAT/NTSC/extfs are not suitable and can damage it. Stop using them unless you know exactly what you're doing. Never let them perform irreversible changes.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:42   #10  |  Link
jumpjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Try to find another recorder (same model preferred),
This results in getting the disk formatted...

Quote:
make sure you saved a duplicate of the HDD and see if it recognises it (there are chances, albeit a few, since the HDD is not the original and they may require either a hack or a new formatting - google for your own model to see details).
I created an image using testDisk and mounted it as a virtual drive with OSFMount.
System does not recognize it, just like it did when physically connected the drive.

[qoute] Stop using them unless you know exactly what you're doing. Never let them perform irreversible changes.[/QUOTE]

As i said, I'm playing with its image.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:40   #11  |  Link
jumpjack

For the records, I'm trying this program:
http://www.advanced-file-recovery.com/smart-price.htm

It's digging into the image, and progress gauge says it found 1722 files up to now (50% done), to be compared to 800+ files found by photorec.
Unfortunately, photorec is free, but Advanced File Recvery costs 40 bucks.
It's not that much if you have precious files to recover, but this is not my case (I guess for 40$ I could buy DVDs for those 4-5 movies I have on the HD )
Old 12th January 2012, 20:00   #12  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
For the records, I'm trying this program:
http://www.advanced-file-recovery.com/smart-price.htm

It's digging into the image, and progress gauge says it found 1722 files up to now (50% done), to be compared to 800+ files found by photorec.
My 500GB HDD from the SAT PVR, which stores each recording in a file + 3 descriptors/indexes (ie 4 files and 1 directory for each recording) is much below 400 files. A HDD-DVD-recorder genearlly use either a single file for all recordings + some indexes, or a file for each recording plus a master index. 800+ files are a bit too much, let alone 1700+, unless, of course you had stored photos and MP3s.

Concerning the HDD reformat, yes I know, that why I explained this in that message, however there are tricks not to let the recorder perform it (I know for Panasonic, for Pio one needs the service disc, no experience with Sony or JVC, the last should be like Panny).
Old 12th January 2012, 22:57   #13  |  Link
jumpjack

Never mind, the program ended finding 3000+ JPG files.... but I didn't store ANY image in the disc; indeed, opening each file results in... nothing!
Don't understand.

In the meantime, I found "scalpel for Windows", but I have to investigate about its use, its a commandline tool.
Old 13th January 2012, 06:59   #14  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
Never mind, the program ended finding 3000+ JPG files.... but I didn't store ANY image in the disc; indeed, opening each file results in... nothing!
Don't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
.... recovery tools for FAT/NTSC/extfs are not suitable and can damage it. Stop using them unless you know exactly what you're doing.
That's why ....
Old 13th January 2012, 10:42   #15  |  Link
jumpjack

So why does it find thousands of files?!? It looks like an hoax: being a payware, it makes you believe it finds thousands of your precious files, so you eventually buy it to be able to save those files... then you find out they're just fake!
Old 13th January 2012, 22:27   #16  |  Link
jumpjack

False positive: it found over 3000 JPEG files... but there wasn't ANY JPEG file on the hard disk, program just "invented" them.
No VOB or MPEG found.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:41   #17  |  Link
jumpjack

False positive: it found over 3000 JPEG files... but there wasn't ANY JPEG file on the hard disk, program just "invented" them.
No VOB or MPEG found.
Old 14th January 2012, 10:09   #18  |  Link
Pata

Look at this video instruction. At 14:35

http://revision3.com/hak5/commandv

Scalpel conf
https://github.com/int0x80/anti-fore...r/scalpel.conf

For vob
MPG|VOB y 2500000 \x00\x00\x01\xba \x00\x00\x01\xb9

Last edited by Pata; 14th January 2012 at 10:15.
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:10   #19  |  Link
jumpjack

Cool tip, I'll give it a try.
Thanks.