Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 5th May 2002, 00:45   #1  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

smart ripper Vs decss : legal?

Ok here goes:

There is all these law suits against Decss , but isn’t smart ripper , dvddcypter vstrip etc the same ...i think i remember something saying that decss brute force’s the keys? and smart ripper etc uses the keys on the dvd player???? ( maybe im just talking 'excuse my French' MARED ) but isn't breaking the css illegal ( FULL STOP ) and distributing the program to do that is illegal to? so tell me how is it that doom9 links ( ?hosts? ) to programs like smart ripper .

i think there must be a realy simple reason?

cypher_soundz

Windows XP| 2GB ECC DDR 2100 ram| 160gb WD 7200rpm 40gb seagate 7200rpm |40gb seagate 7200rpm | Dual 2400MP X1 ;) [L5 mod]| MSI K7D| ATI radeon 9800 PRO 128MB tv-out/dv-out | Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350| Samsung dvd (firmware:612-B) | NEC 1300 dvd+r

cypher_soundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2002, 02:32   #2  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

I think it's something like this: you are allowed to own and use a program that guesses keys until it can copy some files (brute force is nothing more than trying out keys until one gets to the right one). This method is actually less illegal than reverse engineering software to get the original code (this is what deccs is, as far as I know).
You are probably not allowed to use any program to copy a DVD (well depending on your country - in Germany we are still allowed to make a private backup).
You will probably be in trouble when you copy dvd's and distribute or even sell these copies, but that's another story.

Found a nice statement by Joseph Wecker, the guy who recorded a song with the deccs code as lyrics:
"It's illegal to photocopy a copyrighted poem. But now it's like it has become illegal to tell someone how the Xerox works."

Last edited by theReal; 5th May 2002 at 02:43.
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2002, 11:37   #3  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

LOL yeah i think Joseph Wecker has got it right with them lyrics.
thanx for the reply , i didnt know that DEcss was made using reversed engineering , i know that this is illegal.

cypher_soundz

Windows XP| 2GB ECC DDR 2100 ram| 160gb WD 7200rpm 40gb seagate 7200rpm |40gb seagate 7200rpm | Dual 2400MP X1 ;) [L5 mod]| MSI K7D| ATI radeon 9800 PRO 128MB tv-out/dv-out | Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350| Samsung dvd (firmware:612-B) | NEC 1300 dvd+r

Old 6th May 2002, 17:46   #4  |  Link
mikeathome

Re: smart ripper Vs decss : legal?

Quote:
Originally posted by cypher_soundz
Ok here goes:

There is all these law suits against Decss , but isn’t smart ripper , dvddcypter vstrip etc the same ...i think i remember something saying that decss brute force’s the keys? and smart ripper etc uses the keys on the dvd player???? ( maybe im just talking 'excuse my French' MARED ) but isn't breaking the css illegal ( FULL STOP ) and distributing the program to do that is illegal to? so tell me how is it that doom9 links ( ?hosts? ) to programs like smart ripper .

i think there must be a realy simple reason?
... opposite way, SR and DVDDecrypter Brute Force (40bit copyprotection hah, hah...) (or use authentification of a DVD Player -> illegal) but DeCSS uses the key from the Disc. In the US both is violating DCMA law.
In Germany e.g. as long as you brute force there's no illegal action right now, but will change soon. And then, ok, back to DVD2MPEG which is a COPY procedure from YOUR Video RAM to your Harddisk w/o ANY cracking activity onto the copyprotected content ;-)

mike
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2002, 19:42   #5  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

Quote:
DVD2MPEG which is a COPY procedure from YOUR Video RAM to your Harddisk w/o ANY cracking activity onto the copyprotected content
Soon we have new laws that make any electron which is influenced by a copyrighted movie the property of the film industry. So then you will not be the owner of your video RAM any more as long as you're watching a DVD...
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2002, 02:44   #6  |  Link
Kedirekin

Pretty soon the MPAA will enact legislation that will make it a copyright violation to *remember* a movie.

Just kidding.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2002, 02:49   #7  |  Link
falcor
sumdumschitt

thats some funny sh*t LOL
funny but scary hmmm...

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2002, 19:22   #8  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

MPAA

Help i remember at least 2 movies!!!

So the ASPI copying technique used by smart ripper is
Illegal

cypher_soundz

Old 7th May 2002, 20:57   #9  |  Link
falcor
sumdumschitt

youre busted man, were gonna have to wipe your mind like they did in that swarzennegger film, uhm,, about mars, uhm, what the f*** was it??.........oh, total recall, duh.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote