Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2004, 14:07   #1  |  Link
glenn

Deinterlacing PAL TS

Can anyone with experience give me some general guidelines and hints on the do's and don'ts of deinterlacing digitally captured interlaced PAL TS material?

F.ex, do I deinterlace in the avs script, in virtualdub, or what?

Any help appreciated...
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 14:41   #2  |  Link
bb

If it's film, I simply use "Telecide(guide=2)" in my AviSynth script.

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2004, 21:12   #3  |  Link
symonjfox
IUUULEEEENZ

It depends on your target! If you want to create a DVD, you surely can keep the source interlaced and encode it (if needed it) as it is. If you want to encode it to MPEG4 video (Divx or Xvid) you can choose if deinterlace or keeping it interlaced.
IMHO interlaced is better because the original structure of the video is preserved, while if you use a bad deinterlacer, the final encode won't be so nice.
Old 23rd January 2004, 11:28   #4  |  Link
glenn

The target is XviD, and I'd like to to have deinterlaced content, or I wouldn't be asking the question symonjfox's point about a "bad deinterlacer" is exactly what I was wondering; what is the best solution for my scenario?
Old 23rd January 2004, 16:09   #5  |  Link
bb

Just as a reminder: according to forum rule 12 "what's best" questions should not be asked.

Without knowledge of your source parameters nobody can give a good answer. As I said before, Telecide is a good choice if your source is film (combed progressive material, phase-shifted only). Almost all DVB video I captured was film and progressive, so there was no need to deinterlace. But if the source is (real) interlaced video, you should use a good deinterlacer, and there are many available: FieldDeinterlace, KernelDeint, TomsMoComp, ...

Regarding interlacing the same rules apply to PAL TS material and PAL DVD material, so you should find more than enough hints by using the forum search. Before processing you should correct errors in the stream, preferrably using Project X (x08).

bb
Old 24th January 2004, 10:37   #6  |  Link
glenn

Regarding rule 12; sorry, I could perhaps have worded that more carefully.

As you may have noticed; I don't know a lot about interlaced material, that's why I askeed I find most of the discussions regarding interlaced material on this board seems to be based on ntsc scenarios, and thus (probably) not directly applicable to my "problem".

It was symonjfox's statement of "while if you use a bad deinterlacer, the final encode won't be so nice" that prompted me to ask what is the best solution. Let me try to better explain what my source is:

The source files are transport streams (.TS), raw PAL DVB data recorded directly onto an embedded harddisk on a Dreambox DM7000S.
Old 24th January 2004, 23:30   #7  |  Link
bb

Quote:
Originally posted by glenn
The source files are transport streams (.TS), raw PAL DVB data recorded directly onto an embedded harddisk on a Dreambox DM7000S.
That doesn't help with the decision whether your source file is interlaced or not. At least you don't have to deal with IVTC, so there's no need for Decimate and the like.

Watch your source e.g. in Media Player Classic; should you see combing artefacts (watch out for horizontal movement), then your source is either interlaced or phase-shifted (I haven't seen the latter in DVB streams so far). If there are no combs, your source is progressive, thus you don't need deinterlacing.

Hollywood films should all be progressive.

bb
Old 8th February 2004, 05:55   #8  |  Link
_PN_

If I really HAD to deinterlace my DVB-streams (via Dbox), the sort of truly interlaced stuff made by TV-Cablecam, I'd use KernelDeint, I had best results with that one (without loosing too much speed whilst encoding). Try different interlacers with just a few seconds of Your sources...
_PN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 10:07   #9  |  Link
dapipa
astroNUT

maybe some off-topic(and already answered?)question:some of my DVB captures ARE interlaced(you can tell by looking at them),but some are REPORTED as interlaced,but i can't see interlacing artifacts anywhere,so what the...should i deinterlace them anyway?
Old 8th April 2004, 10:15   #10  |  Link
Kika

On DVB it is the same story like on DVD. Some Films are encoded in interlaced mode, but the Film itself is progressive. There's no need to deinterlace such Films, but you have to handle the Colorspace correctly. A simple ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) in AVISynth will do the Job.

@Glenn
I own a Dreambox too. If you are capturing from Euro1080, then your Source is always true interlaced, not telecined or something else.
Kika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 10:47   #11  |  Link
dapipa
astroNUT

hmmmmm,convert to YUY2?can't i leave the stream in YV12 colorspace,or...aren't the DVB streams in YV12?or those,which are reported as interlaced,but don't look like interlaced,aren't in YV12?now i'm really confused...

p.s.can you contact me on ICQ,if you're online,please?
Old 8th April 2004, 12:51   #12  |  Link
Kika

Quote:
can't i leave the stream in YV12 colorspace
Only if your Goal is not to resize and/or deinterlace your Movie.
The way colorinformations are stored in YV12 is completly different in progressive and interlaced Videos.
If you have an interlaced encoded MPEG2, it's in YV12, right, and YV12 uses YUV4:2:0. Without a correction of the way, the colors are stored, you will mix up the Chroma-Informations while resizing or deinterlacing.
Kika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 07:27   #13  |  Link
dapipa
astroNUT

so,once more to make it perfectly clear:

1 - MPEG2 DVB source,reported as interlaced,but looking like progressive --> no resizing/deinterlacing,just cropping the black borders --> served with AviSynth to VDM(fast recompress)and encoded with XviD --> ConvertToYUY2 not required,

2 - MPEG2 DVB source,REALLY INTERLACED --> no resizing,just deinterlacing & cropping black borders --> the same --> ConvertToYUY2 required...

did i get it right?
thanks in advance!