Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 11th November 2018, 16:20   #1  |  Link
Thomas91

How to convert.ts to .mkv ?

Hi,

I recorded a movie from a channel.

I got a .TS file.

I would like to convert it in .mkv format.

Should I convert it in .MP4 before, then to .mkv ?

When I convert directly the .TS file to .mkv with staxrip, quality is good but I have a few horizontal lines sometime.

What do you advise me, I am new in encoding...

Thank you
Thomas91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 20:32   #2  |  Link
Wishbringer
Silent Reader

Please inform yourself what .ts and .mkv are = container
Content would be the same.

Those lines indicate that you have interlaced source.
Did you activate deinterlacer in Staxrip?

And when you encode with Staxrip, you change codec.
I assume you ts-container has mpeg2 inside.
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 16:47   #3  |  Link
K.i.N.G

Shortest answers would be: use MKVToolNix
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 06:40   #4  |  Link
drasticds

Follow the steps:
1.Install the Movavi Video Encoder
2.Add the TS Files for Conversion
3.Start Converting the TS Files to MP4

I thing this is enough for converting any .ts into MP4.
drasticds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 04:28   #5  |  Link
netmask

MKVToolNix is the easiest and quickest. You can deselect any superfluous tracks you don't need, ie subtitles or extra languages etc. Just untick what you don't want...
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:27   #6  |  Link
kalehrl

You can use MKVToolNix but if your file has dropouts, as is often the case with satellite transmissions, you will get audio/video out of sync.
It is better to use MeGUI and HD Streams Extractor which fixes sync issues should there be any.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:43   #7  |  Link
netmask

TSDoctor is worth looking at to fix any transmission errors if any
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 17:02   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

To my very surprise it exists indeed a tool called TS 2 MKV
https://www.npmjs.com/package/ts2mkv

for SDTV (MPEG2) streams there is a completely free solution to have an usable stream even if the transmission could have had errors.
For HDTV (other than MPEG2) there is tomy knowledge none, one has to pay for these tools, like TSDoctor.
Old 11th December 2018, 13:29   #9  |  Link
hello_hello

My TV's media player doesn't support mpeg2 in an MKV (I'm pretty sure). TS with mpeg2 is fine.

I don't know if that's a standard thing but it might pay to keep it in mind if your TS file contains mpeg2 and you remux to MKV (if it won't play, that'd probably the reason).
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 02:54   #10  |  Link
manolito

This may well be an issue with your TV...

MPEG2 in an MKV container is perfectly legal, all my software players support it. But some TV manufacturers always looked at MKV as a "hacker format" (Sony was notorious for this) and refused to support it.

The TS format is fine for me as long as the content is SD. But with HEVC HD sources none of my software players can seek within such files (using LAV Filters). It always starts displaying garbled frames, you need to step through the frames until you hit the nearest key frame. After repacking the content into an MKV container seeking works fine.

Converting TS -> MKV generally works well with MKVMerge and also with FFmpeg. BUT: If the TS file has broadcast glitches then audio will be out of sync after repacking.

Quote:
TSDoctor is worth looking at to fix any transmission errors if any
Unfortunately TSDoctor WILL NOT fix sync problems for source files containing glitches. The TSDoctor output will remain TS (as opposed to ProjectX which converts TS to PS). When playing such a TS file which has glitches audio will stay in sync, after repacking to MKV audio will get out of sync after the glitch(es). Obviously the TS format has safeguards implemented which keep audio in sync, the other containers like MKV do not.

I wish that somebody would write an extended version of ProjectX (or PVAStrumento) which works for AVC and HEVC sources.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 19:21   #11  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
This may well be an issue with your TV...
No doubt it is. Aside from mpeg1/2, it supports most of the popular video codecs in an MKV, even DivX 3.11.
It supports mpeg2 as mpeg, mpg, tp, trp, ts and vro, but not MKV or MP4. I've no idea why.
Old 20th December 2018, 14:31   #12  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
No doubt it is. Aside from mpeg1/2, it supports most of the popular video codecs in an MKV, even DivX 3.11.
It supports mpeg2 as mpeg, mpg, tp, trp, ts and vro, but not MKV or MP4. I've no idea why.
I distinctly remember countless other threads where you insisted that everything should play everything, and I pointed out that commercial players will hapily everything that is standardised but the user is at god's mercy when it comes to homebrewed formats.
I thought you got this by now - obviously I am wrong, you didn't. However Repetitio ist mater studiorum.
I repeat then, with applicability to your examples: MPEG, MPG, TS and VRO do contain by way standardisation MPEG-2 (some ONLY MPEG-2 and nothing else). TRP is Kathrein semi-public TS variant (REC is for Topfield, TS4 for Technisat and so on).
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...95&postcount=3
As for MP4, I believe that since it's first amendment, in 2003, the MPEG-2 support has been dropped (or made optional which is the same thing, actually). If your TV is of a later date, that must explain why.
Old 26th December 2018, 01:26   #13  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I distinctly remember countless other threads where you insisted that everything should play everything, and I pointed out that commercial players will hapily everything that is standardised but the user is at god's mercy when it comes to homebrewed formats.
I've never said everything should play everything. For one thing, the media player in my TV can't play discs no matter what industry standardised flavour they come in.

A quick forum search indicated I mentioned my TV's lack of mpeg2/MKV support a year ago during a conversation with you, so I don't know what your latest industry-standard pontification is supposed to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I thought you got this by now - obviously I am wrong, you didn't. However Repetitio ist mater studiorum.
I repeat then, with applicability to your examples: MPEG, MPG, TS and VRO do contain by way standardisation MPEG-2 (some ONLY MPEG-2 and nothing else). TRP is Kathrein semi-public TS variant (REC is for Topfield, TS4 for Technisat and so on).
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...95&postcount=3
I'm not sure where this will leave your home-brewed formats theory.... or the point you were trying to make to be all repetitive.... but I hadn't actually tested mpeg2 in an MP4. For that one, I'd taken the manual's word for it.

So I gave it a spin and the TV does play mpeg2/AC3/MP4. Oddly, the MP4 I created with MP4Box wouldn't open with ffmpeg even though the TV happily played it, so I created another mpeg2/MP4 from scratch with ffmpeg for testing and it played too.

Where it gets a little embarrassing.... although probably more for you than for me under the circumstances.... is while I was at it I remuxed a vob file as an MKV and copied it to the USB stick along with the MP4s.... and I'm sure all your fancies will be tickled by this one.... the TV happily played the MKV.

Honestly.... you could've loved me tender and called me Elvis... because I obviously had that wrong. I've never had much need for mpeg2 in an MKV or MP4 though, so believing it wouldn't work hasn't bothered me. Maybe I tested an mkv that was muxed in a way the TV didn't like, or maybe it became corrupted on the way to the USB stick, or maybe my brain invented a fictional memory seven years ago, or maybe it's just another one of god's practical jokes.....

I've no idea what happened, but I was wrong about the TV not playing mpeg2 in an MKV or MP4 container, although if I had claimed it'd play everything as you stated, at least I might've been right about that.

Last edited by hello_hello; 27th December 2018 at 15:43.