Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 4th December 2017, 11:56   #1  |  Link
hajj_3

competitors to dvd decrypter's 'ifo mode' ripping?

I was wondering if there are any other applications that can rip individual tv episodes and extras from dvd's so that i can then encode them later with megui or something. dvd decrypter has 'ifo mode' which lets you do this. This only works on windows though and you get several error messages when closing dvd decrypter these days when closing the program on windows 10 which is a little annoying.

Are there any other free competitors that can rip individual videos without re-encoding?
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 06:47   #2  |  Link
manolito

What comes to my mind first for this task are all of the DVD CDTs (Compressed Domain Transcoders). These include DVD Shrink, Nero Recode (uses the DVD Shrink engine) and Rejig. Just make sure to not use compression.

The other method which I prefer is to use MakeMKV. The resulting episodes and extras will be in an MKV container, but there is no reencoding involved. And IMO reusing such MKVs later is much easier than using VIDEO_TS folders or VOBs.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 08:46   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

For someone who joined this forum in the heyday of the DVD and DVD-ripping, it's rather funny that you do not know that there is no automatic way of doing this, except after a database of all titles with multiple episodes is available, and even then, this list has to be manually created, for the software cannot decide whether a specific part is a chapter or an episode.

Therefore, rip the whole DVD with any ripper you like, then see for yourself how this particular DVD is created (multiple VTS for each episode, single VTS with multiple PGCs but sharing common forespan and credits, or as a single VTS with a single PGC as many animes are).
Old 5th December 2017, 16:46   #4  |  Link
manolito

@ Ghitulescu

Could it be that you completely misinterpreted the OP's post? He did not ask for an automatic way to rip episodes or extras, he asked for an alternative to the DVD Decrypter IFO mode to rip episodes or extras separately.

Did you ever use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode? If you did then you should know that this is a very convenient way to rip DVD extras or different episodes without having to know anything about how these extras or episodes are authored in the original DVD.

IMO with DVD Shrink it is very easy to do this since you can pick any stream and preview it before deciding if you want to rip it or not.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 6th December 2017 at 05:48.
Old 5th December 2017, 22:41   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Best solution (never actually failed in about 500->600 DVD's) is RipIt4Me, DvdDecryptor and DvdShrink Combo,
Only ever one real tricky one which required something additional like PgcEdit for successful result.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 11:04   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I am not sure whether there is another software that matches DVDD, yet, if the DVD is not severely protected, there are other rippers that work in IFO mode - SmartRipper (only CSS) and DVD43 (never worked with).

But the user must know what he's doing. I always prefer to get the whole DVD then work it in eg PGCedit/VobBlanker, unless I need a special tidbit therefrom and the previous procedure would have been too long and space-consuming, say eg an individual chapter or a cell..
Old 7th December 2017, 17:14   #7  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Best solution (never actually failed in about 500->600 DVD's) is RipIt4Me, DvdDecryptor and DvdShrink Combo,
Only ever one real tricky one which required something additional like PgcEdit for successful result.
I think RipIt4Me has only ever let me down a couple of times when I've tried to rip one of those Disney DVDs that pretend they contain 50GB worth of files, although most of the DVDs I ripped lately didn't have copy protection according to RipIt4Me. I haven't ripped anything newly released for a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
But the user must know what he's doing. I always prefer to get the whole DVD then work it in eg PGCedit/VobBlanker, unless I need a special tidbit therefrom and the previous procedure would have been too long and space-consuming, say eg an individual chapter or a cell..
I think if you're ripping to re-encode as the original poster is, ripping first and then working on the ripped files with PGCedit/VobBlanker would belong in the "too long and space-consuming" category
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 18:43   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I think if you're ripping to re-encode as the original poster is, ripping first and then working on the ripped files with PGCedit/VobBlanker would belong in the "too long and space-consuming" category
He could save a lot of time by "not encoding with Megui or similar"
Old 7th December 2017, 21:50   #9  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
He could save a lot of time by "not encoding with Megui or similar"
True, but transferring vob files to a portable device would most likely qualify for a "too long and space-consuming" label. I imagine he's re-encoding for a reason.

Do devices such as ipads support mpeg2 decoding? A third party player no doubt would if they don't support it natively, but I'm pretty sure the only media player in our house with support for mpeg2 decoding in an MKV is my PC, although the other players should play it in a TS/PS file.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 22:07   #10  |  Link
johnmeyer

You can easily rip individual episodes, without any recompression, using DVD Shrink's "Re-Author" mode. It is stupidly easy, and works great.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 23:12   #11  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
You can easily rip individual episodes, without any recompression, using DVD Shrink's "Re-Author" mode. It is stupidly easy, and works great.
Yep, and if bucket loads of different versions (perhaps some/many deliberately screwed up bogus versions) on single DVD, then just compare each ver$ duration with the DVD main feature when played in standard player, probably only a single matching option.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 8th December 2017, 14:51   #12  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
That's right, yet DVDS cannot open all the DVDs DVDD can.
Old 8th December 2017, 19:39   #13  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thats why the RipIt4Me, DVDD, DVDS, combo works great.
RipIt4Me, also creates a dummy sector list (or whatever its called) for DVDD,
to avoid non existing sectors that would normally f.u. DVDD and prevent rip (for some disks).

EDIT: RipIt4Me, extends DVDD's life expectancy, well past its 'Sell-By-Date'.

EDIT:
Quote:
or whatever its called
Think it might be called 'Protected Sector List', and is supplied to DvdDecryptor.
EDIT: RipIt4Me, also on rare-ish occasion detects bad rip due to erroneous Protected Sector List, and then prompts to re-rip,
just the affected VOB to correct the error (thus far, always got it correct for me on the second attempt).

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th December 2017 at 20:05.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:47   #14  |  Link
manolito

I believe you guys are mixing up some things which are not related to each other...

The original question was about alternative software for DVD Decrypter's IFO mode. The purpose was to be able to rip individual episodes and extras from a DVD.

You might remember that DVD Decrypter itself was shut down by Macrovision in 2005. RipItForMe is just a frontend for DVD Decrypter and FixVTS. It adds more current protections plus you can specify to rip either the whole DVD, Main Movie only or Main Movie with menues. It does not offer any way to rip different episodes, so it only makes sense when after the rip DVD Shrink is run to select individual episodes from the (whole DVD) rip.

RipItForMe handles more copy protections than DVD Decrypter itself. But it was shut down by Sony in 2007, so all newer copy protections will not be handled by RipItForMe.

My point is that for the combos you mentioned only DVD Shrink is used for selecting individual episodes. Everything else is just for ripping the whole DVD while removing the copy protection. Development of DVD Shrink stopped in 2005 which means that its handling of copy protection schemes is pretty weak.

To be able to rip DVDs with the latest copy protection schemes you need more recent software. AnyDVD and DVDFab PassKey run transparently in the background and can be used together with DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. AnyDVD costs money, Passkey Lite is free (but I have no idea which restrictions apply for the Lite version). Another free solution for ripping DVDs using the latest copy protection is MakeMKV.

The easiest solution is probably DVD Shrink in conjunction with AnyDVD or Passkey, simply because it lets you preview the different episodes so you can easily decide which ones you want to rip.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 9th December 2017 at 12:50.
Old 9th December 2017, 17:45   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
To be able to rip DVDs with the latest copy protection schemes you need more recent software.
Guess that I've been lucky in not encountering any such disks (as yet), I'll probably start worrying when I do