Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 8th July 2010, 13:47   #141  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sure, you can do that. But please don't call it mkvtoolnix then and change the program names (e.g. in the "about" dialogs and the help texts) to make it obvious that those are modified versions.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:47   #142  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
There's no header removal compression with AVC and AAC tracks.
Which raises the question why the file doesn't work. I'll have to investigate.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:53   #143  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Here's a list of track types and their default compression methods:

VobSub, PGS/SUP, text subtitles (SRT/ASS/SSA), VobButtons: ZLIB

AC3, DTS, MP3, MPEG-4 part 2 (aka DivX aka Xvid), Dirac: header removal

Everything else: no additional compression

Old 8th July 2010, 14:02   #144  |  Link

Quote:
Sure, you can do that. But please don't call it mkvtoolnix then and change the program names (e.g. in the "about" dialogs and the help texts) to make it obvious that those are modified versions.
Of course. I'm talking for personal use only.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:13   #145  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ah ok. No need to change anything for personal use, just don't distribute it under the original name. Thanks.

Old 8th July 2010, 18:14   #146  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Force compression to 'none' for the problematic track. Also I'd like to know how what files and tracks you were muxing. If possible could you upload them to my FTP server? This should not happen, and I'd like to know the reason for it and to fix it.

The lenght, 3, lets me guess that it's a MPEG-4 part 2 video track that's causing the problem.
Thanks, you're right about the video track have problem, but it's a "DX50" (H263) video.

I've uploaded the video in 7z format (4 parts) with subtitle, I just want to add subtitle to the file, and I do as you say force "none" works!

I think it's a bit annoying to display this message without suggestion, people usually not able to determine what kind of files can be compressed, and for this kind of file MMG failed to decide.

I've tested subtitle can be compressed but sound and video already compressed (anyone will use WAV or uncompressed AIFF for sound track?), they should be automatically set to "none".

Thanks for your MKVTOOLNIX, it's the "savior" of MKV, also thanks for your work!

Last edited by johnsonlam; 8th July 2010 at 18:16.
Old 8th July 2010, 19:05   #147  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Sorry, but I won't.
I seem to remember you having similar reservations about not letting MKVmerge automatically remove the aspect ratio signalling embedded within MPEG-4 video streams... But eventually you changed your mind
Old 9th July 2010, 07:57   #148  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I seem to remember you having similar reservations about not letting MKVmerge automatically remove the aspect ratio signalling embedded within MPEG-4 video streams... But eventually you changed your mind
True. But the case of aspect-ratio information is not as clear-cut as this one. The Matroska specifications don't say anything about where aspect ratio information must be stored. In fact it doesn't say anything about aspect-ratio information at all -- it only contains two elements that tell the player the preferred size of the video when it is played back.

Header removal compression is defined in the specs, as are default values.

Old 9th July 2010, 08:02   #149  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlam View Post
Thanks, you're right about the video track have problem, but it's a "DX50" (H263) video.

I've uploaded the video in 7z format (4 parts) with subtitle, I just want to add subtitle to the file, and I do as you say force "none" works!
Thanks, I'll take a look. DX50 is also MPEG-4 part 2 (DX50 is, if I'm not mistaken, the FourCC of DivX v5.0 or something like that). My guess is that frames of length 1 simply mean 'repeat previous frame'. So I have two options: disable header removal compression or drop those frames and calculate timecodes/duration accordingly. The latter is already done when muxing from AVI into Matroska, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Quote:
I think it's a bit annoying to display this message without suggestion, people usually not able to determine what kind of files can be compressed, and for this kind of file MMG failed to decide.
I agree. I want to have a solution that succeeds in 99.99% of all cases ( = muxing succeeds in 99.99% of all cases; playback is a totally different matter). So if I cannot find a proper solution for such files as yours I'll disable header removal for MPEG-4 part 2 tracks by default.

Old 9th July 2010, 08:14   #150  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Here's a list of track types and their default compression methods:

VobSub, PGS/SUP, text subtitles (SRT/ASS/SSA), VobButtons: ZLIB
I dont understand very much of this topic, but I guess this is the reason why my players don't display any vobsubs with the 4.x builds? Am I right?
Old 9th July 2010, 08:23   #151  |  Link
^*^

Then let's change these specifications! Your application has become de facto the standard for creation of Matroska files. Millions (or probably billions) of devices compatible with previous versions of mkvtoolnix are made. Now they are incompatible. OK, we still can make files suitable for our old devices. But other 95% (or even more) of consumers haven't knowledge to do this. They will attempt to play new films without success and then they will be starting to think about to purchase of new equipment. The old sooner or later will go to trash. Please, think "green", unless some corporations have paid You to make these changes and they could sell more "new and compatible" devices. Frequent change of standards are their bread.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:36   #152  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
I dont understand very much of this topic, but I guess this is the reason why my players don't display any vobsubs with the 4.x builds? Am I right?
You may be right, but I doubt it. VobSub compression with ZLIB has been used since the day VobSub support was introduced itself. Meaning since Sep 11 2003:

Quote:
commit 3fcd47dc6a9e5a9a22a0ad985f2fab2f761f5e86
Author: Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
Date: Thu Sep 11 19:43:32 2003 +0000

Implemented the VobSub reader and packetizer. Implemented three compression algos which are selectable via the (undocumented) command line option --compression.
What's new in v4.1.0 (not in 4.0.0!) is that certain audio and video tracks use header removal compression by default.

What's new in v4.0.0 is that default values are not written anymore. This does concern ZLIB compression, and this is what most likely breaks your player: it does not support default values properly. Please read http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...default_values for an explanation.

Note that blaming mkvmerge is not really solving your problem. With the rise of WebM there are tons of new muxers popping up left and right, and some of them don't write default values either. So the only sensible long-term solution is to fix playback devices to support the specs properly.

Old 9th July 2010, 08:43   #153  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^*^ View Post
Then let's change these specifications! Your application has become de facto the standard for creation of Matroska files.
Not possible. Even if mkvtoolnix is the de facto standard in a limited number of situations it is by far not the only program using the existing specs. Changing the specs in backwards incompatible ways now that there are tons of muxers and demuxers already out there is out of the question.

Quote:
Please, think "green", unless some corporations have paid You to make these changes and they could sell more "new and compatible" devices.
Since I've started working on mkvtoolnix in 2002 I've received all of 200 EUR in donations. No corporation has ever contacted me and asked me to change mkvtoolnix in any way.

Also it's a lie if a corp tells you that they cannot fix bugs in older hardware. This is not about implementing a whole new video codec for which the hardware might not be capable enough. These are minor software updates which would only require a new firmware, certainly not a new hardware device. I know corps like to sell new devices instead of support old ones. But changing their corporate mind is the responsibility of each and every consumer by making the choice which devices to buy and which not to buy.

So please don't start a discussion about corporate ethics, the impact of my decisions on the environment. This is a mkvtoolnix support thread, not a political discussion board.

Last edited by Mosu; 10th July 2010 at 09:48.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:07   #154  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
You may be right, but I doubt it. VobSub compression with ZLIB has been used since the day VobSub support was introduced itself. Meaning since Sep 11 2003:
Since it works with 3.2, you're right ofcourse!

Quote:
What's new in v4.1.0 (not in 4.0.0!) is that certain audio and video tracks use header removal compression by default.

What's new in v4.0.0 is that default values are not written anymore. This does concern ZLIB compression, and this is what most likely breaks your player: it does not support default values properly. Please read http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...default_values for an explanation.

Note that blaming mkvmerge is not really solving your problem. With the rise of WebM there are tons of new muxers popping up left and right, and some of them don't write default values either. So the only sensible long-term solution is to fix playback devices to support the specs properly.
I get your point, thanks for your answer. I'm not blaming mkvmerge for anything. Just trying to figure out what I have to do temporarily to get subtitles to work. Now that I know what changed I can contact the vendor and ask them to make changes to their FW. As usual they wont do anything until customers start to complain, so this might take some time...
Old 9th July 2010, 09:35   #155  |  Link
asc28

I recently remuxed H.264/flac to mkv with mkvmerge 4.1.0, no errors, but it came out damaged (file would skip in the middle). I did it again, same version, same inputs, same settings and it came out fine. Checksums of the files were different and there is an "NAL too big error" when extracting the damaged one. Filesizes are identical.

command-line: mkvmerge -o out.mkv --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps in.h264 in.flac

So, I did a surface scan of all the drives involved (including my pagefile drive) and did 5 passes of Memtest86+ with no errors found. Could this have something to do with that particular version of mkvmerge or should I be worried that something else is wrong with my system?

[edit] Just realized checksums will be different anyway because of encoding date metadata, but everything else applies

Last edited by asc28; 9th July 2010 at 10:06.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:21   #156  |  Link
stax76

Such compatibility issues won't happen with a HTPC.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:31   #157  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

True about the checksums. Hard to tell in general. The AVC code has received a couple of changes in the last few releases. But I haven't seen anything random happening for other users.

It could also have been a one-time hardware error, e.g. system getting very hot; intermittent memory fault. Such things happen, even if subsequent tests don't show anything wrong with the hardware.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no known issue with raw h264 files in v4.1.1.

Old 9th July 2010, 14:18   #158  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

You were right Mosu. Setting vobsub compression manually in mmg and vobsubs work again on my players. Thanks for your help, would have never figured that out by myself.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:58   #159  |  Link
tiny55

I'm having a problem with the merge function(MMG) of MKVtoolNix.
The same problem as mentioned by Foofaraw.. (reference posts 1476 to 1480 page74)

Using MKVMERGE, I can take a BluRay rip made with MakeMKV with just a Video and audio track that works fine on my computer software players and Seagate Fat+ or WD media players, run it thru the MKVMerge program without changing anything and the resulting file now takes 10-20 seconds to load in all my players. The origional rip would load in 1-2 seconds.

Except for the Fat+ all the other players wait for the file to load and the movie will play without incident.The computer players take a little longer to load but not that much longer. The Fat+ however, will not wait. It just locks since it can't load the file immediately. However, with H264, I usually do not not have that problem. MMg asks for the frame rate and remuxes perfectly and the file will load in 1 to 2 seconds. Also with Mpeg and VC1 files less than an hour long they will usually load within the time frame allowed by the Seagate player and they will load and play as well.

Further, I can take the movie that MKVMERGE generated that takes too long to load run it thru tsMuxer, convert it to a Bluray folder without adding or removing anything and run it once again thru Makemkv. The resulting movie once again plays as before and loads in 1-2 seconds.

I've gone as far asdemuxing a VC1 file and adding only the video and chapters back into it. No audio or anything else and it still takes too long to load.

I've used the header editor as well as the verify selection and nothing was out of place as far as I could tell.

So after reading the above mentioned posts(1476-1480) and the explanation as why this happens, I was wondering if I could just get some advice on how to shorten the re-load time.

Thank you
Tony
Old 10th July 2010, 09:31   #160  |  Link
MeridiusUK

a hugh bug in mkvtoolnix 4.1.1 please read this post and link

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1416294

I rip a dvd to mkv using makemkv then i will use mkvtoolnix 4.1.1 to disable the subs so that they dont auto play well on the pc side anyway as i hate to keep turning them off then i remux the file all works fine on the pc but when i play it on the ps3 the sound just plays like a old spectrum loader game in the old days.

now if i do the same rip the dvd to kv with makemkv but do not use mkvtoolnix 4.1.1 it works so it looks like mkvtoolnix is damaging the file in some way.

I have not tried to remux the file without changing anything so i am going to do this first to see if it stil damages the file if it does not it must be when i change the subs from default to no but i will have to try this out.

its just a shame makemkv does not give you an option to stop the subs comming on stright away

at least i now know mkvtoolnix sems to be the problem i am going to try verion 4.0.0 to to see what happens

but the mkv file that i made with makemkv is now working as long as i dont use mkvtoolnix to disable the subs but i will do more testing

oh bugger i dont have 4.0.0 can anyone tell me where to get it to test it out as version 4.1.1 is totaly unusable for me now i know its for the ps3 but to be honest it should not be damaging the file in this way it might even cause problems for pc in the future or now.

hope this helps as i love this tool
Closed Thread