Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2009, 23:37   #9621  |  Link
Carpo

same thing for me, im a lazy typist

Last edited by Carpo; 16th December 2009 at 23:43.
Old 17th December 2009, 05:08   #9622  |  Link
Abradoks

Nero AC3 decoder and DRC

I have tested Nero for AC3 decoding and it seems that DRC isn't removed correctly. Here is source, AC3 (DRC: None), AC3 (DRC: Speech). When comparing SNR of decoded files (I use CompAudio) Nero gets same SNR as libav on file encoded without DRC, but on second file Nero gets much worse SNR, while libav has nearly same numbers.
I'm not the only one who gets this issue, it was previously reported on another forum.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:54   #9623  |  Link
samepaul

I'm sorry if I overlooked - I tried to find answer, but with no luck so far... I wonder where sources of eac3to available? As long as I understand this project uses some LGPL code/libraries and thus fall under LGPL and would have it's sources published. I wanted actually contribute in further eac3to development.
Old 18th December 2009, 07:08   #9624  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by samepaul View Post
I wonder where sources of eac3to available? As long as I understand this project uses some LGPL code/libraries and thus fall under LGPL and would have it's sources published. I wanted actually contribute in further eac3to development.
You have it misunderstood I guess. Quoting the wikipedia info on LGPL:
Code:
The main difference between the GPL and the LGPL is that the latter can be linked to (in the case of a library, 'used by') a non-(L)GPLed program, and regardless of whether it is free software or proprietary software.
eac3to is free yet proprietary software (until now) and its sources are not publicly available. It uses a lot of LGPL libraries though which are bundled in the download package.
Old 18th December 2009, 16:20   #9625  |  Link
samepaul

hm.. i rather misunderstood the "linked library" concept. But yes, even so it's not "derivative work" as it's defined in the LGPL.
Anyway, I'm not pursuing any legal issues anyway. I just wanted to contribute and help with bugfixes, since I consider this project an excellent multimedia integration effort. Actually the best among all I ever seen on Doom9.

Last edited by samepaul; 18th December 2009 at 16:30.
Old 18th December 2009, 17:34   #9626  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The whole point of LGPL is that closed source projects like eac3to can use LGPL libraries without having to go open source. That's the key difference between LGPL and GPL.

Thanks for the offer to help with development, and for the nice feedback, I appreciate that. I'd rather keep eac3to closed source, though, and do the bug fixing myself. I'm not aware of any major bugs (except maybe the Nero DRC bug, if that report is actually correct). So I'm not in a hurry to release a new version. Too busy with other stuff right now...

If you have some specific "big" new features you want to add to eac3to, you could either:
(1) Write some Delphi (!!) code and send it to me for integration into eac3to.
(2) Or you could create a little standard win32 dll, which eac3to would then link to.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:31   #9627  |  Link
Carpo

will you be adding support for nero 9 - or are you going to leave it with 7.x - a version you know works
Old 19th December 2009, 14:53   #9628  |  Link
brasch

problems with a couple of HD DVD's

On both Leaving Las Vegas and 3 days of the condor I can't choose any subtitles, even though they are there. Anyone know a fix for the problem?
Old 19th December 2009, 15:06   #9629  |  Link
mikelebron

Question... I noticed in some movies (so far only trueHD) once in a while at the same spot in a movie I get a little bit of static... What is that? How can i prevent it?

UPDATE: I tried redoing the file.. this time putting -keepDialNorm bu this did not help.... in the EXACT spot where the crackling was had the exact same issue... any other ideas? BTW: Its star trek first contact.. the scene is at the end where the vulcans are landing on earth for the first time... The crackle happens when the vulcan ship touches down..

Last edited by mikelebron; 19th December 2009 at 17:32.
Old 20th December 2009, 01:23   #9630  |  Link
Carpo

could this be an issue with the actual disc? or does this happen only after you have copied it to the drive?
Old 20th December 2009, 02:27   #9631  |  Link
mikelebron

Played right from the disc using all the same player (MPC-HC), codecs (FFDSHOW video and audio) and renderer (reclock) NO ISSUES....

what I did notice was the volume (level) was MUCH MUCH higher from the eac3to ripped version... Is this normal? I suspect in the audio chain (renderer, driver, windows mixer, etc.) is being over modulated... is there a way to have the volume level unmolested? (I know I can reduce it by -3db but I prefer it to just be like whats on the disc..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
could this be an issue with the actual disc? or does this happen only after you have copied it to the drive?

Last edited by mikelebron; 20th December 2009 at 02:35.
Old 20th December 2009, 03:29   #9632  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

It's obviously not an issue with the disc.

Do you hear the crackling from the TrueHD file, simply extracted with eac3to, or is this in a transcoded file from a TrueHD source?

I'd try demuxing the TrueHD with TSMuxeR, and comparing the results (though I can't imagine there will be any).

Curious problem..

~MiSfit
Old 20th December 2009, 12:35   #9633  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelebron View Post
Played right from the disc using all the same player (MPC-HC),...

what I did notice was the volume (level) was MUCH MUCH higher from the eac3to ripped version... Is this normal? I suspect in the audio chain (renderer, driver, windows mixer, etc.) is being over modulated...
Maybe is a problem with TrueHD libav decoder, please put the log file at conversion.

If you can extract (in the source) the problematic fragment and upload to analyze ...
Old 20th December 2009, 18:59   #9634  |  Link
umaximus

TsMuxeR problem with trueHD

Right, I have bunch of trueHD soundtracks that were demuxed in past with eac3to. Since I got a capable HD receiver I want to mux HD audio back. Doing this with TsMuxeR I have no problems with DTS-HD MA, but TsMuxer wont accept trueHD streams and is giving an error of 'Unsupported format' (cant detect stream type) on every single trueHD stream that I have (+100). Im sure there is difference in header info of how eac3to is demuxing trueHD but I have no clue how to 'repair' it.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:44   #9635  |  Link
mikelebron

Whats the best way for me to cut that one scene out to upload it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Maybe is a problem with TrueHD libav decoder, please put the log file at conversion.

If you can extract (in the source) the problematic fragment and upload to analyze ...
Old 20th December 2009, 23:23   #9636  |  Link
mikelebron

Ok.. I used Tsmuxer to see if I had the same issue and it was there... same static while I hear the audio(not crackle)... that lead me to try again in MPC-HC and play the movie right from the disc. Low and behold... it was there from the disc. Sorry about that guys.. I dont know how I missed it. It must be something then with ffdshow decoder
Old 21st December 2009, 03:17   #9637  |  Link
stax76

I have a problem capturing console output, maybe somebody can explain me what's going on and how to fix it, the screen shot shows the problem:

Old 21st December 2009, 03:48   #9638  |  Link
honai

Your console runs in ANSI mode, but eac3to probably assumes a Unicode codetable (which is the default for most Windows installations).

Old 21st December 2009, 03:54   #9639  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I have a problem capturing console output, maybe somebody can explain me what's going on and how to fix it, the screen shot shows the problem:
Just a thought, are you trying to read the STDERR? Try just STDOUT if you are.
Old 21st December 2009, 04:20   #9640  |  Link
stax76

I'm using simple .NET code which works for all other applications, .NET and WinAPI are both pretty much unicode if you don't count the legacy stuff, the .NET lib is pretty powerful so maybe there is a simple solution, if not interfacing with native code would be no problem for me. I assume it has something to do with the colors eac3to outputs which is pretty cool if you just use the command shell. Both console and text encoding are not areas I have much experience. I've tried stderr first since it uses the same code running BeSweet and that use stderr, eac3to did however not write anything to stderr if I didn't miss something, I'm reading eac3to output from stdout.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to