Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th January 2015, 08:40   #27981  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there are multiply ways to do this
option 1 (low quality):
load the icm in windows color management. (there is a well known bug in windows where calibrations are not loaded at all the work around is a different program or run the windows calibration program 1 time picture(just press next and down't change anything))
in madVR:
set calibration to: "this display is already calibrated"
don't check "disable GPU gamma ramps"
optional set color & gamma to pure power curve 2.4.

option 2 /high quality): create a 3d lut from the icm and load it with madVR.
set madVR to "calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files"
load the file in bt 709.
check "disable GPU gamma ramps"

i crated two 3d lut from the icm file samsung_s24d590pl.icm for you: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...3d-lut.7z.html

i can't check them because i don't have that screen.

one is bt 709 gamma 2.2 an old standard the other one is a bt 1886 3d LUT the new way to do it.
I've the icm profile for my monitor thanks to the manufacturer's drivers. I think it's calibrated for BT.709.

I want to create a BT.1886 3D LUT, should I follow this tutorial to create it ?
I just have to start from part 4 and change the source profile in part 5.2 for my icm profile, the output encoding to 0-255 and the gamma mapping to 2.25 absolute in part 5.5. Then load the new 3D LUT in BT.709 in madVR, right ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 8th January 2015, 08:54   #27982  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
I've the icm profile for my monitor thanks to the manufacturer's drivers. I think it's calibrated for BT.709.

I want to create a BT.1886 3D LUT, should I follow this tutorial to create it ?
I just have to start from part 4 and change the source profile in part 5.2 for my icm profile, the output encoding to 0-255 and the gamma mapping to 2.25 absolute in part 5.5. Then load the new 3D LUT in BT.709 in madVR, right ?

Thanks for your help.
you need to set your ICM file as target.

and you have to leave output at 16-235 madVR thinks every 3d lut is 16-235. dispcalgui 2.6 shouldn't even give you an option to change this any more.

if you want to use bt 1886 leave gamma at 2.4.

gamma should be changed based on your room lightning. "correct" is 2.2 and for dark rooms 2.4 is recommended. bt 1886 is very complicated just leave it at 2.4. not sure if your ICM has any information for your black point so not sure if it has any effect or just results in gamma 2.4.

and yes you add it in bt 709 and don't forget to check disable GPU gamma ramp.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 12:10   #27983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I've had an issue for awhile now where I will play a video in FSE mode and the render time will settle down to say, 30ms for 720p->1080p NNEDI3 upscaling. Then I'll back out to windowed mode and back into FSE and the render time will drop down to a steady 25ms. I'm not sure what's happening but I can reproduce this consistently. I have my gpu overclocked and it's almost like madVR isn't accepting the overclock in FSE even though Afterburner says it's using 1050 core the entire time.
madVR is not even aware of whether the GPU is overclocked or not, let alone control it in any way. This is all outside of madVR's control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neet009 View Post
Now it works well with HCFR.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Is it normal for the Nvidia Control Panel settings like deinterlace etc to have no effect on the image when using madvr?
NVidia deinterlacing settings only have an effect if DXVA deinterlacing is used (maybe also for CUVID deinterlacing, I don't know). The other GPU control panel options may or may not have an affect if DXVA deinterlacing or DXVA scaling is used, but they won't have an effect otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Hi Madshi, the problem seemed to start with 0.87.11 - it was not present in 0.87.10.

The problem is when I am using a second display (e.g. my Samsung UE40H6400 TV, via HDMI, and an AMD HD7790 GPU). I can force film mode on the primary display, but not when the MPC-HC window is on the secondary display. When I toggle through modes, it just goes through auto and video, and skips film.
Could you please double check by going back to v0.87.10 that the problem was indeed introduced exactly by v0.87.11? The reason I'm asking you to do that is that none of the changes in v0.87.11 should affect film mode in any way. I rather think that the problem was introduced by some other change. Maybe you're using native DXVA decoding now? Film mode only works with software decoding (or DXVA copyback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It would be interesting to have madVR be G-sync (or FreeSync) aware, it seems like it would be possible to have the audio and video sync be very exact without smooth motion, basically like Reclock but adjusting the video frame timing instead of re-sampling the audio. This would also be great for bit-streaming without smooth motion.
If only I could tell FreeSync in advance which frame to present when. But I don't think it works like that. Basically in order to use FreeSync, I would have to present each video frame exactly at the right time, which means fluidity would depend on how reliably madVR gets CPU time from the task scheduler. IMHO that would be a step backwards. Windows is not a real time OS.

Last edited by madshi; 8th January 2015 at 12:13.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 12:16   #27984  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.87.13 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* madTPG: added "madVR_Find" API
* madTPG: fixed "madVR_GetVersion" API
* added OSD API stretch option
Once again only API changes. For your interest, all these recent changes are made to improve support for Calman, DVBViewer and one more application (not XBMC/Kodi, don't get your hopes up), which are all in the process of adding/improving support for madVR.
Old 8th January 2015, 20:27   #27985  |  Link
XinHong

I didn't know that DVBViewer was able to use madVR
XinHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 21:39   #27986  |  Link
Plutotype

Madshi, any chance to ask Light Illusion to include remote madtpg control as you have done with Calman please?

Thanks
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 21:57   #27987  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinHong View Post
Maybe not yet?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 22:44   #27988  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinHong View Post
The official version doesn't support it yet, but it's currently being developed. The DVBViewer dev already posted in the forums that the next official version will support madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Madshi, any chance to ask Light Illusion to include remote madtpg control as you have done with Calman please?
Old 9th January 2015, 09:58   #27989  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR is not even aware of whether the GPU is overclocked or not, let alone control it in any way. This is all outside of madVR's control.
So you can't replicate madVR lowering render time after exiting out of, and then back into fullscreen?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 13:35   #27990  |  Link
Mano

Is it just me or when i open a 1080p clip with bit rate higher than 3mbps there will be a 2s lag like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_H2T6ZaJfo

I show up my madvr setting in the end of the clip. Is that problem with my pc spec or hdd or just madvr nature?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 14:19   #27991  |  Link
huhn

is EVR CP opening a file a lot faster for you?

could be your HDD, DXVA decoding (DXVA AMD is pretty slow...) or something else.
Old 9th January 2015, 15:26   #27992  |  Link
Mano

EVR CP improved it somehow but i still feel it is a bit slow. and yes i am using AMD card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvweN_uFmU
Old 9th January 2015, 15:35   #27993  |  Link
huhn

the difference is about 0-3 frames.

try disabling DXVA decoding.

but this looks more like it has to do with your HDD. but is this really an issue?
Old 9th January 2015, 15:49   #27994  |  Link
Mano

how do i disable DXVA? did you see there is a noticeable jagging/lag/shutter at the beginning with madvr? i just got a bsod open that video the first time which i havent got for like a years.

also i just checked playing it on my ssd drive. the jagging/lag/shutter is still present.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:33   #27995  |  Link
huhn

this should do the trick: http://abload.de/img/dxva1mujm.png

i don't get problems opening a BD with 37+ mbit.
but i have more than decent hardware.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:12   #27996  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
i25 should be the same as i50, which most TVs do support. But I would stay away from anything interlaced unless oyu have no other choice.
Sorry, do you mean away from interlaced source or output?

Also I have a weird behaviour I just noticed:
I have in MadVR http://i58.tinypic.com/dqr89e.jpg and when I start a .wtv with 25fps I get display at 59.9Hz, then I press alt+tab to go on Windows Media Center (Win8.1) and then again alt+tab on MPC-HC and this time I get display at 50Hz and the image is more saturated.
What should I do?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 18:27   #27997  |  Link
Mano

thanks, seem like disable DXVA did the trick.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:32   #27998  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen with the different saturations plus OSD?
are you using an intel IGPU ?
Old 9th January 2015, 19:21   #27999  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
I'm jus thinking about something. Why do the video profiles have to be configured manually? Thinking about it, it could be auto-configured pretty easily.

Let's say I'm running with SVP and madVR has 16.6ms to render each frame. What I would manually do is open each resolution of video (288p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) in Widescreen, press CTRL+J and create a profile that brings the rendering time as close to 16.6ms as possible.

madVR could do these tests and build these profiles itself.

or... perhaps even better, it could try various settings until it gets close to its maximum allowed rendering time, and cache these results. If there are dropped frames, it would automatically lower the settings, if rendering time gets lower, it would automatically higher the settings.

Is something like this in the road-map?
Pretty cool idea, however, since there is not only resolution and refresh rate of the source that needs to be taken into account, but also your current refresh rate of your monitor, interlaced/progressive and finally your madVR settings, this can get a mess pretty fast, especially since madVR should work in realtime.

What would probably work is that the user had some kind of offline tool that replicates madVRs functionality and settings 100% and calculates a "automatic_profile.mvr", where the actual madVR renderer then can read that profile and you would have your perfect settings for your current config.

If you change the graphics card, output resolution or other stuff, you would just do that again, so you would have different automatic_profiles.

"Advanced mode" would enable you to access all power features manually, like it is right now.

That would certainly make some users happy, others would still prefer to have manual access at all time, so I'm not sure if the time invested in this is worth it. I guess that most people that use madVR are kinda advanced users and know what they are doing, but it would certainly make your first steps easier.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 19:47   #28000  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Does anyone have any programming documentations in regards to G-sync / freesync? In particular, I'm looking for a way to automatically detect if it's enabled, and what its lower limit is (30Hz at the moment for both I was told, but I'd hate to hardcode that into a player).
No programming guide, unfortunately.

However:

It seems that not only is FreeSync more flexible, but according to various CES articles, the first FreeSync monitors are limited to 40Hz at the minimum, or else they will flicker. Not sure if that's because of the pixel matrix / panel driver firmware that just isn't able to go lower, but that's the only info that I came across. More in-depth stuff seems to be still rare.

At least theoretically, 9-240Hz seems to be perfect for our needs.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling