Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th January 2019, 23:39   #54361  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Set the hardware device to "Automatic (Native)" not the RTX 2070.
I follow your indication and the only option that activate hardware decoding was CUVID (look at the attached image).
In this way massive dropped frames are vanished.
Now it's ok.

Thank you.

My question is: the only kind of hardware accelleration supported by those nvidia cards is Cuvid?

thank you
Attached Images

actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 23:45   #54362  |  Link
el Filou

No, something is wrong with your setup, you should be able to use any DXVA mode successfully.
Do you have multiple displays or multiple GPUs, and is the one you're using to display video configured as the main (first) one?
Old 21st January 2019, 00:13   #54363  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
cant say ive noticed any, under what conditions / material ?
I got the Martian on 4K HDR, I could especially see the Banding on the Mars Red Sky in the intro sequences of the movie. This is through DXVA native on the 580.

This is on the latest adrenaline driver with 09217 madvr.

I agree it could very well be my Particular TV Computer/ Cable, software, etc,

I'm just at wits end with this, and I know my kitchen computer w/ 1060 does 4KHDR just fine, So.. My patience has been exceeded..

Last edited by tp4tissue; 21st January 2019 at 00:19.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 00:18   #54364  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
No, something is wrong with your setup, you should be able to use any DXVA mode successfully.
Do you have multiple displays or multiple GPUs, and is the one you're using to display video configured as the main (first) one?
I'm not Super duper sure if the cpu can do 4K 60.. with the 64bit mpchc Avx + 8 thread hw , it SHOULD..

DXVA definitely can do it though, so gotta select DXVA native in Lavfilter hardware acceleration.
Old 21st January 2019, 00:38   #54365  |  Link
huhn

chill is has to work with d3d11 and copyback too.

DXVA native is well known to make problem BTW.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 02:26   #54366  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
chill is has to work with d3d11 and copyback too.

DXVA native is well known to make problem BTW.

On nvidia and ati ?

Which lav setting is the best alternative to CPU decoding.
Old 21st January 2019, 02:57   #54367  |  Link
huhn

DXVA2 native decoding can do all kind of stuff with the image.

i know that for nvidia the chroma is misplaced by half a sub pixel with DXVA native and deinterlancing.

not sure what AMD is currently doing wrong but bilinear chroma is not the hit anyway. bending is clearly a possibility. beware that bending could come from d3d11 full screen or d3d11 fullscreen window too so check those. nvidia broke d3d11 fullscreen window a long while ago which is now fixed.

just use DXVA copyback which should do until 8k which hopefully never takes foot.
Old 21st January 2019, 03:45   #54368  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
DXVA2 native decoding can do all kind of stuff with the image.

i know that for nvidia the chroma is misplaced by half a sub pixel with DXVA native and deinterlancing.

not sure what AMD is currently doing wrong but bilinear chroma is not the hit anyway. bending is clearly a possibility. beware that bending could come from d3d11 full screen or d3d11 fullscreen window too so check those. nvidia broke d3d11 fullscreen window a long while ago which is now fixed.

just use DXVA copyback which should do until 8k which hopefully never takes foot.

How does dxva copyback improve upon dxva's problems. As in, how does it work..

also does dxva native while using madvr's chroma have any issues ?

Finally, what is the highest Nvidia driver that everyone's using with known compatibility.
Old 21st January 2019, 06:50   #54369  |  Link
Asmodian

DXVA2 Copy-back copies the video data from the memory on the GPU to system memory after hardware decoding. This allows code that runs on the CPU to access the video data but takes PCIe bandwidth. The data is also copied back to the GPU for further processing by madVR, and then finally sent to the GPU driver for display. This is why you want at least PCIe 2.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8. For 4K60 HDR you might need more?

To complicate this Nvidia, with all drivers as far as I know, has that odd half pixel chroma offset which madVR avoids in copy-back mode by handling all chroma scaling itself. With DXVA2 Native there is a blur or similar damage when coping the chroma to madVR (GPU to GPU memory copy), even when using non-dxva chroma scaling. D3D11 Native avoids this issue. Nvidia's DXVA2 deinterlacing still has chroma issues no matter what chroma scaling you use.

Everything seems to work well for me with the current 417.71 drivers on a RTX 2080 Ti, Win10 1809 17763.253. HDR requires 10-bit output but both D3D11 fullscreen windowed and exclusive work well, with the GPU outputting 8-bit RGB to my LG C7P. I can add a custom mode for 23.976 Hz and optimize it.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st January 2019 at 07:02.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 09:12   #54370  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

Thank you so much for replying me.
It is very important to me to know that my rtx 2070 can do other hardware decoding different of Cuvid!
Now I know that I've some problem.

Yes, my mobo (Asus H110M-K D3) has an onboard gpu.
Now I'm trying to find a way to turn off this graphic card.
Yesterday I've read the user manual but it seems there is no way to turn off it....

In the windows screen control panel I've set to use only the nvidia card but all remains the same... The only acceleration that works for me remains Cuvid...
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 09:40   #54371  |  Link
madjock

What nVidia drivers are you using ?

Put it in D3D11 and native and Full Screen mode as well and post a screenshot, there is no reason this should not work.

The other GPU should not really matter, If you are plugged into the nVidia card with an HDMI cable then it should be fine, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS somewhere, you could probably do it in device manager as well I would imagine.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 13:49   #54372  |  Link
Dogway

I don't know if it's an issue, on a 1440p, I have for 1080p sources set up the Image Upscaling to NGU Standard (double) and "if any more scaling needs to be done" to Lanczos3 AR, yet the OSD shows me Jinc AR. Tried to toggle some settings but it's pretty much stuck to Jinc AR.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 14:48   #54373  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I got the Martian on 4K HDR, I could especially see the Banding on the Mars Red Sky in the intro sequences of the movie. This is through DXVA native on the 580.

This is on the latest adrenaline driver with 09217 madvr.

I agree it could very well be my Particular TV Computer/ Cable, software, etc,

I'm just at wits end with this, and I know my kitchen computer w/ 1060 does 4KHDR just fine, So.. My patience has been exceeded..
The Martian is supposed to have some banding in the sky. This is well known and is why this disc is often used to test debanding solutions on TVs.

Last edited by Warner306; 21st January 2019 at 14:51.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 14:50   #54374  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I don't know if it's an issue, on a 1440p, I have for 1080p sources set up the Image Upscaling to NGU Standard (double) and "if any more scaling needs to be done" to Lanczos3 AR, yet the OSD shows me Jinc AR. Tried to toggle some settings but it's pretty much stuck to Jinc AR.
It sounds like image doubling isn't active. There is no upscaling after doubling 1080p -> 1440p, only image downscaling.

Set activate doubling to "...only if any upscaling is needed."
Old 21st January 2019, 15:02   #54375  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
It sounds like image doubling isn't active. There is no upscaling after doubling 1080p -> 1440p, only image downscaling.

Set activate doubling to "...only if any upscaling is needed."
mmmhhh I understand, I thought that "if any more scaling needs to be done" setting was a fallback of "activate doubling... only if scaling factor is 2.0x or bigger". So do I have to set this rule (2.0x or bigger) explicitly in the rules box? I don't want luma doubling for small upscales.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 15:07   #54376  |  Link
Warner306

If you set it to 2.0x, image doubling wouldn't activate and would fallback to Jinc. If you want another upscaler, create a special profile for 1080p content.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:11   #54377  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
The Martian is supposed to have some banding in the sky. This is well known and is why this disc is often used to test debanding solutions on TVs.
isn't it the other way around the sky in the movie is know to produce banding with bad processing that doesn't mean only a Tv with debanding can show it without major banding.

AFAIK only sony has an extra option for debanding.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:16   #54378  |  Link
Warner306

No, I'm pretty sure every TV shows some banding in certain portions of that movie, but some are far worse than others. Many TV manufacturers now include debanding and denoising filters in their TVs.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:27   #54379  |  Link
huhn

interesting so these test are done with active post processing like denoising that's present on TV for like 15 years.

if the Tv with less banding use post processing debanding to fix the issue. which is a risky i now a BD where even debanding low in madVR is remving a lot of details.

this is about HDR too right? so there is so many ways to create banding just with bad processing...
Old 21st January 2019, 15:59   #54380  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
interesting so these test are done with active post processing like denoising that's present on TV for like 15 years.

if the Tv with less banding use post processing debanding to fix the issue. which is a risky i now a BD where even debanding low in madVR is remving a lot of details.

this is about HDR too right? so there is so many ways to create banding just with bad processing...
Somebody kill me, I'm never going to get Greatiest image...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling