Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th January 2002, 21:21   #1  |  Link
SirTomahawk

Pixel or Quality?! Someone rip "Enemy at the gates" with Gordian?!

Hello,
my problem is: I try to rip "Thirteen Days" (bad DVD, shit on Kinowelt) and I want a 1-CD of course (its short about 2 hours long). But the quality Index for 576x320 for example is @ 20% VideoSize/FirstPass. I tested all resolutions with a few minutes of the film at the recommended bitrate. I think 480x256 looks like 704x384..., the resolutions between these looks worse. CAN THIS BE? What's best: Full resolution with bad pixels or less pixel with more quality?

My feeling was, that it must be good in balance - less pixels (only a little bit) too get more quality for the rest of the pixels. But where is the perfect point? I know..., it cannot be a rule or a math formular. But when Gordian says "QUALITY SUCKS" @ 704x384 and it looks finally like the 480x256 "QUALITY OK", whats the better option?

My first Rip was "Enemy at the gates". I do it with FlaskMpeg (20 times or more!!!). Finally it was PERFECT at 704x304 with 700,00 MB (2 hours, 5 minutes, 37 seconds). After this motivation-booster I changed to Nanodub and than to Gordian Knot (because the people talking about it - it must be better). I ripped more than 10 films but no of them reaches the quality of "Enemy at the gates". And for example "Exit Wounds" is 30 minutes shorter!! IS THE FILM A COMPRESSIBILITY CHAMP OR WHAT?! Someone else rip "enemy at the gates" with Gordian Knot? Or have a state-file of the compressibility? I WANT TO KNOW THIS! Otherwise I must get it again and rip it with nanodub first pass, to get an answer.

PLEASE HELP, T.
SirTomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote