Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2009, 00:38   #721  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreet View Post
I think another big thing is that we dont have working processing keys for > v10 (in aacskeys). we need to get these keys in order to be able to work on newer titles.
Try working on the older (i.e. easier ?) titles first. 28 Days Later, Robocop, Taken, The Happening, etc.

These are all discs we have the keys for, but also have BD+.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 07:15   #722  |  Link
kreet

ok i think ill focus on getting it to work on some older titles first. need to go out and buy a few :P
kreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 07:23   #723  |  Link
Accident

Ah yes BD-J. Guess I lost interest when it forces the use of java Can we do/fake/get-around BD-J and Java somehow? Re-implementing, or emulating response needed? Although it could potentially send any data to BD-J, which then is entirely open to any implementational cipher or similar, before replying back. This would make things difficult.

Although, it would not be as easy to hide anything too clever in java.

Do we have better understanding of how it is currently used? Just random data, or does it perhaps do "simpler" checks, like if we are to play title 3, it should have title 3 set in the BD-J reply.
Accident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 10:45   #724  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Great to see some activity here again as you guys are the only ones with the skills to be able to attempt this.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 12:52   #725  |  Link
kreet

Accident: i think we need to spend time reversing a working player to get a better understanding of the way the BD-J interaction works.

are you on irc somewhere or do you prefer pms?
Old 31st August 2009, 12:53   #726  |  Link
kreet

is there a list of titles which we know use the BD-J stuff? im about to buy some discs to work with and want to make sure i get the most useful ones
Old 31st August 2009, 22:14   #727  |  Link
Revgen

I believe the Pirates of the Carribean movies do. The latest one released on BD is Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 23:31   #728  |  Link
setarip_old

These 3 releases contain/utilize BD-J:

Behind Enemy Lines
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Speed

The following is from this link:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote:
Notably, all Blu-ray titles from Universal Studios have a feature called “U-Control” which is essentially a series of in-move extras that can be activated by the viewer at any time during the movie with their remote control. Commentaries, games, picture-in-picture storyboards and production still, and other such interactive features are accessed via U-Control. U-Control is made possible by BD-J.

All Blu-ray titles from Fox are authored with BD-J pop-up menus, similar in function to how DoStudio creates pop-up menus.

Paramount, Disney, Sony and Warner are all making heavy use of BD-J menus and features (The Dark Knight, anyone?). And any disc that advertises BD-Live or any type of iPhone integration (such as NetBlender’s BD Touch) – that’s BD-J, too. Universal’s Fast & Furious is the first major studio Blu-ray title to make use of the iPhone-Blu-ray interaction.

In fact, any time the trade press takes the time to review an innovative feature on a Blu-ray disc, the feature they are referring to is enabled by BD-J. A quick perusal of Blu-ray Disc Reporter (http://www.blu-ray-disc-reporter.com) reveals numerous such reviews. Here’s one about an interesting feature on Sony’s Nick and Norah:

Comedy Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist comes to BD with a special feature that perfectly suits the film’s musical heritage. Nick & Norah’s Interactive Playlist gives viewers background information and trivia on the songs and artists featured in the film, and the option to create custom playlists which can be shared with friends by email.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 04:47   #729  |  Link
KenD00

Well, i haven't looked further into this, but i would be careful by assuming that every title that uses BD-J uses a BD+ version that interacts with the BD-J layer. Maybe this is true for recent titles but maybe not for older ones.

In any case i know that BD+ on both X-Files movies use the BD-J layer.

KenD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 07:57   #730  |  Link
kreet

KenD00: which region are those discs from?

setarip_old: are those title BD+ and are they v10 or lower?
Old 1st September 2009, 12:16   #731  |  Link
kreet

BD+ and BD-J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revgen View Post
I believe the Pirates of the Carribean movies do. The latest one released on BD is Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End.
these movies are Disney not Fox so no BD+

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
[Color=Blue]These 3 releases contain/utilize BD-J:

Behind Enemy Lines
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Speed
do you know if any of these cause problems for libbluray/bdvmdbg?
Old 1st September 2009, 20:01   #732  |  Link
setarip_old

@kreet

I merely provided you with information I located on the 'Net in response to your request for titles that have BD-J. I have no personal knowledge regarding them.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 02:11   #733  |  Link
Rupan

Two titles to try are "The Simpsons Movie" and "Live Free or Die Hard". As I remember, one or both of these movies is broken with libbluray. They both work with BDVMDBG (Java) and used to work with libbluray, but something was changed in libbluray that broke them. I think the break happened after r165. Neither uses the BD-J link though.

As far as reversing the Blu-Ray VM, there is a lot of code. A lot. The MIPS linux shared library I was given was about 350 kilobytes and the JAR is quite large as well. There is far too much code for one person to reverse; if it is to be attempted it will require a team of several experienced MIPS reverse engineers. There are a lot of smart people here on the forum, so it might not be unreasonable to attempt this undertaking. I've done my share of reversing i386 code but am not familiar with the MIPS instruction set.

There is another possibility that I've been thinking about for a while. It should be possible to start a fully virtualized MIPS system using QEMU and run the unmodified binaries in it. I would be extremely hesitant to run that code on bare metal (with qemu-user) since it is trivially easy to write a program that could detect when something isn't right and overwrite every partition table in your system as well as possibly damage hardware. The problem is exacerbated when you consider that the code, if it doesn't already, will probably require root privileges.

If there is interest from others I am willing to help, but I cannot dedicate more than 4 or 5 hours per month to this project (as much as I am interested in it). Let me know what I can do to help you.
Rupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:46   #734  |  Link
Accident

Some people asked for the BD+ binary to be shared again, the files I have is about 1.2GB in size. Any free/anonymous uploading places that can take 1.2? Otherwise I will split it into parts.

@rupan: I did not realise I broke diehard in newer, I was under the impression that I fixed it. This I can take a look at immediately.
Accident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:37   #735  |  Link
kreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupan View Post
As far as reversing the Blu-Ray VM, there is a lot of code. A lot. The MIPS linux shared library I was given was about 350 kilobytes and the JAR is quite large as well. There is far too much code for one person to reverse; if it is to be attempted it will require a team of several experienced MIPS reverse engineers. There are a lot of smart people here on the forum, so it might not be unreasonable to attempt this undertaking. I've done my share of reversing i386 code but am not familiar with the MIPS instruction set.
i have quite a bit of experience reversing mips. even still 350k is a hell of a lot. but hopefully we should be able to use some standard vm (like the cvm) and just make changes where things fail. can someone pm me that mips bin and the jar?

Quote:
There is another possibility that I've been thinking about for a while. It should be possible to start a fully virtualized MIPS system using QEMU and run the unmodified binaries in it. I would be extremely hesitant to run that code on bare metal (with qemu-user) since it is trivially easy to write a program that could detect when something isn't right and overwrite every partition table in your system as well as possibly damage hardware. The problem is exacerbated when you consider that the code, if it doesn't already, will probably require root privileges.
in my experience its relatively easy to tell that you are running on top of qemu. i doubt that macrovision/studios will allow themselves to do actual HARM tho id really like to try and get things running without emulating 'stolen' mips code.

Quote:
If there is interest from others I am willing to help, but I cannot dedicate more than 4 or 5 hours per month to this project (as much as I am interested in it). Let me know what I can do to help you.
i have a bunch of time at the moment. the best thing i can ask for is if you could try and pass me whatever knowledge you have learnt already, and help when ever you can.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:38   #736  |  Link
boza111

hey quick question
so what can be done , and what can not be done so far as far as watching copy protected blu ray movies goes?

I have a set top box that runs on linux and is capable of playing vc1 and blu ray movies that are not copy protected.
The receiver is a dreambox 8000 and the CPU type is MIPS i believe. Is there anything I can use from this forum to be able to play copy protected blurays on my dreambox?
boza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 11:08   #737  |  Link
cRTrn13

@boza111
I'm working on a patch for mplayer to allow bluray playback (at least those with AACS only atm). If you can get mplayer working on your mips box and decoding h.264 nicely, then it should be able to handle the AACS copy protection when the mplayer patch is released. What do you currently use for vc1 playback? Also what drive do you use?
cRTrn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:50   #738  |  Link
boza111

@cRTrn13

Hey thanks for the quick reply, awesome that you're writing a patch for mplayer to allow the playback for bluray!
as far as i understand the vc1 and h.264 videos are played back directly by hardware by the broadcom 7400 chip. I have also asked in the community what exactly is used to play back vc1 and h.264 content, but I am pretty sure its handled by hardware.
Concerining the drive , right now I don't have a bluray drive in the box since it cant play copy protected movies. I play ripped copies directly from the internal harddisk or over the network. But it is possible to build in any slimline drive.
Are specific drives better for playing blu ray discs in linux?
Is there any chance of getting mplayer to work with the broadcom chip? and if not , is there still hope to play back copy protected bluray discs?
boza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 19:44   #739  |  Link

Guys, this is OT. Please open a new thread for this Broadcom/mplayer/VC-1 discussion. This thread is for discussion of BD+.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 18:26   #740  |  Link
XYZ123

Anyone working on BD+ at the moment?
XYZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote