Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 13th June 2010, 17:56   #221  |  Link
guth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
What sort of improvements are expected to be in the next version? I'll start working on the second passes of my projects and was wondering whether I should wait a while for the new release?
The changes for pass 1 will make it possible for that pass to become more robust.
For pass 2, you will be able to use future frames without having to delay audio, append clips etc. The actual output from pass 2 will be the same, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
It would be nice to have limits for horizontal and vertical corrections in pixels so that I could enter a value that I know I can live with (for example I've measured that my TV has approximately 16 pixels of overscan).
The best way to control how big the borders will be (or to make them completely dissappear under overscan) is to select an "edge compensation" mode that gives no borders and then zoom out using an "extra zoom factor" below 1 ( ((width_or_height - 16) / width_or_height) to make borders dissappear under overscan in your case).
You can then use the smoothness settings and correction limits to find a good balance between motion smoothness and the amount of edge compensation zooming needed to get the amount of borders you wanted.
guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 03:22   #222  |  Link
Undead Sega

Hello guth, thanks very much for the suggestion but during the past couple days, i have tried what you've said and ive tried everything else with no luck, therefore i was still wondering if you can help me with it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G98LVF0E

was hoping if you could have a go with it and see if you get any good results. Hope its okay
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 21:38   #223  |  Link
guth

I'm afraid I can't really deshake that clip either. There's too little detail in the background, and the details that are there are mostly straight lines, which are "unmatchable". A feature based matching algorithm would probably do better in this case. Deshaker uses area based matching. Sorry...
Old 14th June 2010, 21:40   #224  |  Link
guth

Boulder, in case you care, the formula I gave above should probably be ((width_or_height - 32) / width_or_height) instead, since I guess you meant 16 pixels on each side...?
Old 14th June 2010, 23:25   #225  |  Link
Undead Sega

Quote:
Originally Posted by guth View Post
I'm afraid I can't really deshake that clip either. There's too little detail in the background, and the details that are there are mostly straight lines, which are "unmatchable". A feature based matching algorithm would probably do better in this case. Deshaker uses area based matching. Sorry...
Damn, and i thought i was doing something terribly wrong. Probably a feature based matching algorithm might be your next feature for Deshaker?

regarding this, what image stabilization software could probably deshake my footage?
Old 15th June 2010, 03:41   #226  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Boulder, in case you care, the formula I gave above should probably be ((width_or_height - 32) / width_or_height) instead, since I guess you meant 16 pixels on each side...?
Yes, I meant ~16 pixels on each side. Thanks, I'll see how it works when I get to run the second passes some time this week
Old 15th June 2010, 18:19   #227  |  Link
guth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Sega View Post
regarding this, what image stabilization software could probably deshake my footage?
Don't know...
Old 16th June 2010, 02:27   #228  |  Link
Undead Sega

fair enough, however I came across Mokey by imagineer systems which uses their 2.5D planes to track footage and etc. and if i am correct, you can also export that tracking data into After Effects. May i ask, could something rom that software be used in the logfile for Deshaker?
Old 16th June 2010, 17:41   #229  |  Link
guth

The Deshaker logfile contains the change (in pannaing, rotation and zoom) between one frame and next frame. I don't know what that software can produce.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:19   #230  |  Link
Undead Sega

This:

any of it looks familiar by any chance?
Attached Images

Old 21st June 2010, 19:37   #231  |  Link
Undead Sega

take it what you saw doesnt look familiar or useful?
Old 21st June 2010, 20:21   #232  |  Link
poisondeathray

planar trackers (like mocha and mokey) and point trackers (like AE) work differently than deshaker. They don't report the difference between subsequent frames (one frame and the next) like deshaker does. They track difference between a reference frame or x,y,z position and rotation/scale/sheer etc.., ie. where you set the point tracker or 2d plane . The reason is they are more geared for compositing work and they need precision against a specific reference point (e.g you want to replace an object in a movie, like a poster with another poster etc...)

You could translate them I suppose, if you made a program and converted the numbers to make them differences between consecutive frames
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:20   #233  |  Link
guth

Quote:
take it what you saw doesnt look familiar or useful?
I've told you what Deshaker wants. Now it's up to you to see if you can get those values from somewhere else. (I'm definitely not saying it's impossible. I just don't want to do the work myself. )
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:15   #234  |  Link
dedfish

Any recommendations specifically for vehicle, motorcycle in my case, mounted videos? Are there particular settings that would work better for high speed movement?
dedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:20   #235  |  Link
guth

I know a lot of people seem to be using Deshaker for those kind of videos, but it's not really designed to handle videos where the camera "moves around", at least not where it moves very fast. Deshaker can only handle panning, rotation and zoom. That said, I've seen some very good deshaked videos of that kind.

As always, make sure you're using a high enough shutter speed, if possible. There shouldn't be any motion blur in each frame.
Also, you would probably get *a lot* better results if the camera didn't have a rolling shutter. But I believe most helmet mounted cameras today have a rolling shutter. Deshaker can remove rolling shutter effects but only if the shaking isn't extreme.
I would also recommend trying to stabilize only on the most distant parts in the frames, since the "moving inwards"-effect is less there. You can do that by ignoring the other areas.
And turn off zoom smoothing by settings zoom smoothness to 0. You will also need to change the edge compensation type if you do that. Start with "None", maybe.
Finally, you should probably increase the value for "discard motion of blocks that move > X pixels in wrong direction". That's to allow the blocks to move "freely" a little, since Deshaker can't handle the "moving inwards"-effect.

But maybe you should ask someone who's actually stabilized these kind of videos. I haven't.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:59   #236  |  Link
dedfish

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

If anyone else has any tips they've found to work well for this type of video I would love to hear them.

Cheers!

dedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 03:27   #237  |  Link
Undead Sega

Hello once again guth, it is I

I am actually still having problems trying to deshake my footage, I have created a new image sequence from the original, but this time it was deinterlaced using TGMC to 50p and I removed the noise using Neat Video resulting me with a (slightly sharp but) clean image, I dont know if that is going to make any differences?

...but I have been trying it with formentioned software, but it is not as effective as your filter, especially when it comes to border filling, wouldnt you happen to know of other software or filters that can literally do what your filter does interms of borderfilling effectively?

Also, you say your filter uses area based matching, is this something that is limited in ur filter or in Avisynth? Possibly there could be an avisynth filter that uses a more sosphisticated algorithm for the searching of the footage (and possibly be used in Deshaker)?
Old 9th July 2010, 09:58   #238  |  Link
guth

Quote:
I am actually still having problems trying to deshake my footage, I have created a new image sequence from the original, but this time it was deinterlaced using TGMC to 50p and I removed the noise using Neat Video resulting me with a (slightly sharp but) clean image, I dont know if that is going to make any differences?
Me neither. But removing noise can be very bad for Deshaker if the smoother uses some kind of temporal smoothing. That kind of smoothing often leaves traces of earlier frames that Deshaker can match on, incorrectly.

Quote:
wouldnt you happen to know of other software or filters that can literally do what your filter does interms of borderfilling effectively?
No, I don't. But I haven't been looking much either.

Quote:
Also, you say your filter uses area based matching, is this something that is limited in ur filter or in Avisynth? Possibly there could be an avisynth filter that uses a more sosphisticated algorithm for the searching of the footage (and possibly be used in Deshaker)?
I'm not sure I understand your question. The matching algorithm is inside Deshaker. You can't change it without me doing something.
Could there exist filters with a more sophisticated search algorithm? Sure, but Deshaker can't use it without me doing something. Unless it can produce logfiles for Deshaker pass 2.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:36   #239  |  Link
guth

New version of Deshaker

Deshaker 2.5 is now released.
(New versions don't seem to come very often lately, so I thought I should mention it.)

Get it here.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:33   #240  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Deshaker 2.5 is now released.
(New versions don't seem to come very often lately, so I thought I should mention it.)

Get it here.
Thank you!

You should post this in the news section.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote