Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th October 2020, 21:18   #60461  |  Link
mark0077

Guys, I have had awful trouble getting madVR to play nicely with my system when it comes to HDR playback. I have the following setup. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

GPU: GTX 980 with 456.71 drivers
Display: LG C9 65"
madVR: latest beta with the hdr tone mapping section
Player: Latest beta mpc-be
Windows HDR Setting: Off
Nvidia Display Mode: 3840 x 2160 x 23Hz (any hz reproduces the issues). YCbCr444 Limited, 8bpc

madVR / LAV Filters play SDR flawlessly as they always have. With the LG C9 it is well documented that at least in SDR mode, it shows a lot less banding in YCbCr444 8 bpc mode which I have found to be very true, which is what I intend to use for all content for now. The following issues don't happen in RGB Full range mode, only YCbCr444 Limited mode.

So the problems start when playing HDR content with madVR, the following two issues happen.

Note: I have bought numerous brands of HDMI cable including two brands of HDMI 2.1 cables, even though I know the GTX 980 cannot use them to their full extent. So to me on my fourth cable from HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 across numerous brands, I think I can say I have ruled that out.

1) madVR hdr set to "passthrough HDR to display" with "send HDR metadata to the display".
When madVR starts, and the HDR icon appears at the top right of the LG display, the screen goes almost completely green (I know it sounds like a cable, but believe me, it must be something else). When I return out of HDR mode (close the player) it returns to normal, the desktop is no longer green.

When I switch my display to HDR mode from anything else, the a) HDRSwitch tool, from b) Windows HDR settings or c) from games, this green screen / tint doesn't appear. Only when triggered via madVR does it happen.

Can it be sending something else in the "send HDR metadata to the display" that for some reason conflicts with YCbCr 444 and is not meant for that mode?

As mentioned, this doesn't occur in RGB Full range mode, the display never goes any strange colors in that mode. It can do 60hz RGB 8-bit without issues, albeit with the extra banding everyone knows about with these screens.

2) madVR hdr set to "tone map HDR using pixel shaders".
When madVR starts, it obviously leaves the screen in SDR mode, which is as expected. The image shown now looks good (not green) when in windowed mode. When I double click the screen and go fullscreen (not full screen exclusive, just windowed fullscreen), the image goes almost completely black. I can just about see the brightest content on screen. To note here, when this happens, the Ctrl-J content/output shows exactly the same details before/after.

Something as basic as right clicking the display, when in fullscreen, again triggers the image to show the proper black levels, and the Ctrl-J output still remains the same, even the "D3D11 fullscreen windowed (8-bit)" string. When turning off the right click menu, the image again returns to almost completely black, although I can see the shapes moving around.

When I switch off "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" in the general settings, this behaviour stops. D3D9 doesn't seem to show this second issue. Do you think this means its an NVidia issue/madVR issue or something configured wrong on my side thats affecting D3D11.

Again this second issue doesn't happen with RGB Full range mode, even in Direct D3D11.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 22:06   #60462  |  Link
VBB

Mark, I've had the same experience with YCbCr and the green tint. This happened after installing one of the 456.xx drivers, so I would say it is an Nvidia bug. One of several that still need fixing. My solution was to switch to RGB full, but set the TV to limited and madVR to 16-235. This works if all you do is consume media, and (for me, at least) there is no obvious panel-caused banding in SDR. I haven't watched much HDR content lately, but from recent testing, the banding in HDR (with PC mode, of course) is not as bad as I remember it. So, it's either that, or switch to normal HDMI mode for HDR.
Old 28th October 2020, 22:07   #60463  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
I know why the frame has to drop - just wish that dropped frame could be one of the ones presented in advance, so I didn't see it on screen.
You see every frame. Frames presented in advance are all displayed.

You need to skip a real frame of the video at that time in order to get back in sync with the audio. If you simply reduced the number of frames presented in advance when you should have dropped one the viewer will still be one frame ahead; it would not fix the audio sync issue.

But one frame an hour isn't bad. I think you have a very good setup now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
What about resampling the video itself then to match the audio? Maybe that is what the MPV line does (video-sync=display-refresh)... who knows, I am not a programmer.
This requires resampling the audio to keep sync, hence the need for Reclock or Jriver's Video Clock. The reason is the total play time, it the same reason we need to drop frames but now the other way around. If you speed up the video to match the slightly faster refresh rate your audio would now need to be slightly faster too; that means resampling or something which would break bit streaming at a minimum.

The audio has a specific number of samples per second just like the video has a specific number of frames per second. If you change either one you need to adjust the other to match or they will drift out of sync over time. Skipping or adding audio samples is usually more noticeable than skipping or adding frames and resampling audio has its own issues so this is not a tradeoff free fix.

You cannot simply play the audio samples slightly faster either, definitely not with bit streaming. I haven't seen DACs that run at dynamic sample rates, the audio needs to be 48kHz, 41.1kHz, 96kHz, etc. It does seem like it should be possible though.. can we do Variable Sample Rate for audio like VRR for video?

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th October 2020 at 22:26.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 23:07   #60464  |  Link
LordX2

Once again, thank you for the detailed responses. I totally understand now with bitstreamed audio why this wont work.

I was reading the mpv player manual, and they have an option for 'desync'. Essentially allowing the video and audio to just play untouched.

Now, I get that this will 'drift' over a 2 hour movie, but with the settings so close (e.g. 1 frame drop in an hour) - I wonder if I would even notice?

Is there a way to 'desync' madvr? Just let it play both and not drop a frame ever?
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 23:57   #60465  |  Link
chros

Try out these timings if you use hdmi out.
Old 29th October 2020, 00:08   #60466  |  Link
toki

So I want to use ColourSpace to create 3D Luts for SDR and HDR. Can I do this with an external TPG, and if so, what would be the best way to go about this? I want to use the external generator because I read that madVR does have something weird going on when using it as a TPG.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 00:13   #60467  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
can we do Variable Sample Rate for audio like VRR for video?
Man wouldn't THAT be nice!! Best of all worlds in that case.
Old 29th October 2020, 00:14   #60468  |  Link
NoTechi

Out of curiosity now that both gpu players have their cards announced it looks like regardless which one you get there will be lots of power for madvr to play with. I am just asking myself since my main use case is to watch 4k movies and some life TV with madvr and I am using a 5700XT if an upgrade would be even worth it just looking at that use case.

Looking at madvr as it is atm and having lets say a 3080 or RX6800 which settings could I use additionally while watching 4k movies where I would see a difference beside the obvious increase of the quality of NGU upscaling alghorithms?

I would guess there is not too much headroom for image improvements with madvr in current state using a highend card if we just look at watching 4k movies (beside rare 60Hz stuff).

I most likely will get one anyhow at some point for gaming and the nerd factor to always get some fancy new stuff

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 00:29   #60469  |  Link
SamuriHL

One other thing these new cards bring to the table is hardware AV1 decoding which will be nice.
Old 29th October 2020, 02:02   #60470  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
So I want to use ColourSpace to create 3D Luts for SDR and HDR. Can I do this with an external TPG, and if so, what would be the best way to go about this? I want to use the external generator because I read that madVR does have something weird going on when using it as a TPG.
For a LUT created for madVR I would recommend the free DisplayCAL over ColourSpace. There is no issue using madTPG this way. A LUT for HDR is not advisable due to the dynamic nature of HDR.
Old 29th October 2020, 03:01   #60471  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
I had to use CRU to remove the 2160p24/30/60 resolutions (which also removes the 23, 29, and 59) and then add them back via madVR. Once I did that I was able to manipulate the timings. I've also had to hit the reset gpu button in madVR at times before I could change to more optimized timings of those resolutions.
Are you using the most current nvidia drivers? This worked for those?
Old 29th October 2020, 03:59   #60472  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
For a LUT created for madVR I would recommend the free DisplayCAL over ColourSpace. There is no issue using madTPG this way. A LUT for HDR is not advisable due to the dynamic nature of HDR.
While I was not successful in creating a HDR 3DLUT for madVR (It looked like the rear end of a mentally ill pig) I did calibrate my display with HDR in mind using madTPG via displayCal.

I first maximised my displays backlight in windows and via the display as well as disabling any energy saving modes that my display had active - if your display uses dynamic tone mapping then I advise turning it off if you can otherwise calibrate your display in the highest brightness setting in SDR mode - and when displayCal generated the ICM profile, I added it as advanced colour so it only becomes active in HDR mode only.

I then set madVR to "use windows overlay".

I use a 3DLUT generated in displayCal to my display to watch SDR material (Spyder5Pro) while the Advanced colour with "use windows overlay" takes care of HDR.

Last edited by JaylumX; 29th October 2020 at 04:05.
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 11:56   #60473  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
can we do Variable Sample Rate for audio like VRR for video?
Thats basically what ReClock et al do.
Old 29th October 2020, 13:47   #60474  |  Link
SamuriHL

Not for bitstreaming though. And yes I understand why. Just saying it would be awesome if we could.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 29th October 2020, 14:28   #60475  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Thank you for your reply. Either way, should I use 10% window with Local Dimming off or 10ABL with Local Dimming on?
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 15:35   #60476  |  Link
LordX2

Also, I am able to select 12Bit under my display if I use the 'nvidia settings'. Still able to keep Full Range RGB as well.

Is this recommended? Or stick with 8bit?

Last edited by LordX2; 29th October 2020 at 16:17.
Old 29th October 2020, 18:07   #60477  |  Link
VBB

@toki - I haven't calibrated back-lit TVs in quite a while, but I'd probably go with normal 10% and dimming off. You could ask about your particular display in the calibration section of the AVS forum. Ted will be happy to help you

@LordX2 - Best to stick with 8-bit + madVR's excellent dithering, but you could always put up some gradient patterns to see what looks better.
Old 29th October 2020, 18:47   #60478  |  Link
zind1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
One other thing these new cards bring to the table is hardware AV1 decoding which will be nice.

What gives you AV1 today?
And does anyone know when the H266 encoder will arrive?
zind1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:55   #60479  |  Link
huhn

youtube does for quite a while now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 20:56   #60480  |  Link
LordX2

Asmodian:

For smooth motion - does it double the rendering time since it is doubling the frame output?

Do you still have your display set to 23.976?

And does it have the dreaded 'soap opera' effect?

PS - I know beta 113 is not compatible with smooth motion - just asking for when this is fixed in future releases.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling