Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 26th June 2005, 00:58   #141  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I need more than just the log.. I need every step you took after starting MeGUI. And .. please do try with the default settings. You're using x264 so that's default, if you configure the codec, just set the mode to auto 2 pass and do not change anything else (you can do that later.. it's important to start with a common ground that I know works and approach the problem step by step from there). Logs will also be immensely helpful.. they show commandlines which can help pinpoint a commandline generation problem (there are so many options I simply cannot test everything).
Old 26th June 2005, 01:20   #142  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

thanks.. just in time for the new release.
Old 26th June 2005, 01:32   #143  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Alright, the next version is out.

Please check out this post about tracing what goes on while encoding with x264.exe if you have any problems with the status reports: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...129#post678129. It won't help kurt and absinthe who seem to have a deeper problem that needs to be solved on their PC or in x264.exe, but I hope I can get things working for the rest.

Note that the XviD zones word of advice still applies.. in XviD a zone goes from its start frame until the next zone.. if there's no such zone, the zone will extend till the last frame of the video. This is exactly how things work in the XviD VfW. However, if there's a need and audience for it, I could add additional logic for XviD zones that would automatically insert 100% weight zones in between your configured zones (if necessary, if the end frame of zone x is n, and the start frame of zone x+1 is n+1, then obviously nothing would have to be done). Let me know.
Old 26th June 2005, 03:08   #144  |  Link
savior

here is the log

logfile

and also a screenshot of the issue, you can see the time 2nd pass started and current time of screenshot, x264 not shown in task manager during 2nd pass.

this encode was done after deleting folder and starting with fresh megui and files.

there was also a issue with mencoder for x264 but thatl be another post.

screenshot
Old 26th June 2005, 04:11   #145  |  Link
Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@Rash: does the FPS fluctuate or does it always stay the same? And what is the decimal separator in your language settings in the control panel? Could you compare the percentage from the logfile (the one before the line "sending status update") with the percentage you get in the progress window? Could it be that in the window it's 100 times the value reported in the log? I suspect that your comma separator isn't a dot, so due to your locale 20.12fps is read and converted into 2012 fps. If you can confirm my suspicion I can force the locale to EN-us for the conversion and the problem will be gone.
The fps fluctuate a lot. From 1010 to 2300 fps. I did the test but using the new release 0.2.0.1, so you removed the fps reporting thing. Nevertheless I am 99% sure this is indeed a locale problem. The decimal separator here is comma and not a dot.
Old 26th June 2005, 10:55   #146  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

you still owe me a step by step explanation on how I can reproduce the problem. See the guidelines here. If I can't reproduce the problem and it's a report from one person... well, put yourself into my position. One time is no time. If something is seriously wrong, there will be multiple people reporting it and/or you can guide me through the steps to be taken to reproduce the problem. But please let's use the official MeGUI thread for further discussion (I'll move these posts).. this one is really for the developers.
Old 26th June 2005, 10:58   #147  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
so you removed the fps reporting
No, please explain. And run DebugView while encoding (see here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96415). That log will give me all the lines I'm reading and how I'm translating them into FPS reports.
Old 26th June 2005, 13:06   #148  |  Link
savior

sorry about that doom9.

all files extracted into single dir. no config needed for megui only to make sure x264.exe is used and not mencoder.
dgdecode.dll renamed and put into avisynth filter dir.

1: d2v creator used, .d2v saved and audio extracted.
2:avisynth script creator, set res, and saved script.
3:script loaded, set output for video, loaded audio, set audio output and configed.
4:autoencode selected, set for default of 1 cd overhead is left alone.
5: clicked queue selected start.

everything was left default other than to check that x264.exe was selected as h264 encoder.
Old 26th June 2005, 16:57   #149  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@savior: is there an easier scenario? can you reproduce it without auto-encode? steps 1/2 are irrelevant here so I can discard them.. but having to worry about auto-encoding that increases complexity by a considerable amount (and if it only happens there, that also helps to rule out certain things.. then there's the question if it only happens with audio encoding configured, if you configure a pre-existing audio mp4, or if it also happens in auto mode without any audio at all (you can still use the auto mode then.. in that case you just get the video at your desired size)). And I really do need to see that DebugView output.. I have a feeling that all those issues are due to some internal exception that is being catched but that aborts the whole commandline reading in the encoder.
Old 26th June 2005, 19:22   #150  |  Link
Rash

OK Doom9, here it goes. Both the Debug Viewer and the MeGUI logs. What I meant was that this new version of MeGUI doesn't produce that huge log anymore.

Anyway, I believe the language encoding problem is causing this. Just a cosmetic problem. MeGUI is working perfectly here now.

Can I ask just one question? Since I haven't found any information this... What does that MP4 overhead option on the "AutoEncode" window does?

Last edited by Rash; 26th June 2005 at 19:28.
Old 26th June 2005, 19:40   #151  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Rash: Thank you for the attachment. Unfortunately I've only added the important trace line in the 0.2.0.1a version. I've just noted that Brazilian Portuguese uses the comma as decimal separator, and since odyn reported that the 0.2.0.1a fixes all problems for him with regards to the progress bar, perhaps you could give it a try as well and let me know if it works out for you: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96415

Quote:
What does that MP4 overhead option on the "AutoEncode" window does?
It sets the overhead assumption for the bitrate calculation. While lower than other containers, MP4 still does have an overhead per video frame that has to be taken into account. You can set that in the GUI. It'll be set to 10.4 bytes/frame when you use b-frames, and 4.3 bytes/frame when you do not use b-frames (so you can see that b-frames incurr a significant container overhead.. but compared to AVI's 24 bytes/frame for video only (and a lot more with VBR audio).. it's still low).

I have exposed that setting, and am writing muxing statistics for each mp4 muxed to a file mp4stats.txt in your MeGUI directory.. hopeing that enough people will send me that file (it's not really happening right now I'm afraid) so that I can gather enough statistics to make better assumptions about the overhead.. it seems 10.4 works out pretty well at least for x264 with b-frames, but I'm not so sure about the rest. Seems some time I also have to go over the whole statistics reporting again because it's not really up to the scenarios that are now possible (e.g. mp4 muxing with a video-only mp4.. that scenario wasn't foreseen when I started the muxer and it only was introduced when I started supporting x264.exe).
Old 26th June 2005, 20:12   #152  |  Link
Rash

I was going to attach the logs here, but since it is 100% now with 0.2.0.1a (including a coma in the fps ) I won't give you anymore trouble.

But I couldn't find a mp4stats.txt in my MeGUI folder, otherwise I would send it to you. Is that because I'm doing a video only encode?
Old 26th June 2005, 21:23   #153  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is that because I'm doing a video only encode?
Indeed.. it is only written when you're muxing something into an mp4.. either using auto-mode or using the muxer manually.
Old 26th June 2005, 23:55   #154  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, the next version is out.

A word of advice: I haven't tested what will happen if you have an mp3 job configured and try to launch auto-mode.. it might explode your PC.. realistically seen if I did all the preparation right it shouldn't allow you to launch auto-mode, but you never know. Either way MP3 in MP4 will not be a supported configuration.

Please let me know if you need another other lame options for casual mp3 encoding but note that I'm not going to support every option. I have no plans to create a BeLight clone.. I don't think that would be useful in the MeGUI context, plus I consider it unethical to write a clone of an existing program just because I can, and bring nothing of my own to the table.
Old 27th June 2005, 00:17   #155  |  Link
Rash

Doom9, if I may make a suggestion, you could do only LAME --preset options. For example:

--preset medium
--preset standard
--preset extreme

Or let the user type the switch he prefers himself. Afterall the LAME presets are supposed to make the best possible quality. I don't know, just a suggestion. I won't use MP3 anyway.

And thank you for the new version.
Old 27th June 2005, 00:25   #156  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. I added the options I think I might ever use.. those are the ones that are highly likely to stay
Old 27th June 2005, 01:23   #157  |  Link
savior

here is the debugview log
debug log

was set up for auto 2pass, and to mux previously encoded audio.

was you needing another other type of log file??
Old 27th June 2005, 01:35   #158  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I think I got it from here. Looking at your log I see that the video bitrate is 0. Looking a bit further I see that the bitrate was set to 0 because the framerate of your video appears to be 0. Looking at the debugview log, x264.exe reports the same framerate. So, clearly something is wrong with your video. If you open the script again.. do you get a proper view preview window where you can actually see your video?

Also, set the second pass back to waiting, and start again while leaving Debugview running.. I guess it'll catch an x264.exe error. Apparently a bitrate of 0 works for the first pass but I'm confident it won't work for the second pass.. x264.exe will abort with an error message that I seem not to catch as such. If you get nothing interesting in the debugview, could you also try to run your second pass commandline from dos mode and append "> output.txt" at the end of the commandline, then post output.txt here.
Old 27th June 2005, 02:07   #159  |  Link
savior

set back to waiting and started second pass. nothing happened as you stated.

2nd log

trying 2nd pass in dos mode to see what happens.

loaded avs again and preview comes up perfect.

noticed this in the log

Desired size of this automated encoding series: 734003200 bytes
Encoded audio file is present: C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\baseketa.mp4 has a size of 46925530 bytes.
adjusting desired size. New desired size = 687077670 bytes
No audio encoding. Calculating desired video bitrate directly.
Setting video bitrate for the video jobs to 0 kbit/s
Desired size of this automated encoding series: 734003200 bytes
Encoded audio file is present: C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\baseketa.mp4 has a size of 46925530 bytes.
adjusting desired size. New desired size = 687077670 bytes
No audio encoding. Calculating desired video bitrate directly.
Setting video bitrate for the video jobs to 0 kbit/s
Next job job1-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 0 --stats "2pass.log" --subme 4 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\baseket.avs"
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1-1

avis [info]: 640x352 @ 0.00 fps (148305 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE 3DNow!
x264 [info]: slice I:594 Avg QP:47.95 Avg size: 130
x264 [info]: slice P:147711 Avg QP:51.00 Avg size: 17
x264 [info]: slice I Avg I4x4:0.1% I8x8:0.0% I16x16:99.9%
x264 [info]: slice P Avg I4x4:0.0% I8x8:0.0% I16x16:0.0% P:0.0% P8x8:0.0% PSKIP:100.0%
x264 [info]: kb/s:0.0

Actual bitrate after encoding without container overhead: 0.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
Next job job1-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 0 --stats "2pass.log" --subme 4 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output "C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\baseketv.mp4" "C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\baseket.avs"
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-2

so unable to process 2nd pass due to these para.

Last edited by savior; 27th June 2005 at 02:12.
Old 27th June 2005, 02:16   #160  |  Link
savior

ok this is confusing, when loading .avs in virtualdub or mpc, virtualdub closes and mpc crashes. so maybe something with mpeg2dec.dll im using??

but it loads in megui , weird heh.

and that was just the renamed dgdecode.dll from the dmpgdec zip file.
Closed Thread