Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Closed Thread

Old 30th November 2003, 21:58   #101  |  Link
Koepi

Interlacing is broken currently (I think it's missing for bframes).

Regards
Koepi
Old 30th November 2003, 22:30   #102  |  Link
communist

*Cosmetic* Bug:
If you set weight bigger than 2.00 and hit OK it will show as that value in the "XviD Configuration" window. This *might* be confused with a quantinizer of that value (though the weight values lack the brackets...).

Or does it indeed work with those values bigger than 2.00?
Old 30th November 2003, 22:58   #103  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

This is just awesome. I'd like to express my thanks to all the XviD dev team for putting so much hard work on this great codec. I can't help but feel sorrow for whoever tries to make an "XviD 1.0 options explained" document, since the number of new or combinable features has gotten so big. I wish I could beta test, but alas, I don't have my computer right now (I'm writing from a cybercoffee, long story) .

P.S: can anyone test how well does 1.0 beta handle quantizer 2 encodes?
Old 30th November 2003, 23:25   #104  |  Link
bond

heya

xvid quality is awesome
great work guys!

one question about the zone feature:
it seems we only can define the start frame!
now how can i define where it should end (for example when the credits dont go till the end)? will i have to define 3 zones if i only want 1 zone inbetween the movie?
what if i only want to insert 1 keyframe at a position? do i have to define a new zone right after the keyframe?

if yes, perhaps it would make things easier if we could define the startframe and the endframe of a zone (like with the old credits feature)...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 30th November 2003, 23:42   #105  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Minimum I-frame interval b0rked?

When trying to encode something in 2-pass mode I was getting a severely undersized second pass (with most frames having quantizer 31... o_O); it turns out that setting the minimum I-frame interval to 5 instead of 1 seemed to be the culprit...

Has anybody else experienced this?

EDIT: Just tried this again using "Load Defaults" and setting the minimum I-frame interval to 5 - same result: almost all frames get quantizer 31.

Using the statsfile from the first pass works fine when turning this option off for the second one, so either the option isn't used for the first pass or it works then, but not for the second one... *wonders*

Looks like a bug to me... (not that I can't live without this option, it's just a nasty pitfall as it's totally non-obvious... )

np: B. Fleischmann - Take Your Time (Welcome Tourist)

Last edited by Leak; 30th November 2003 at 23:55.
Old 1st December 2003, 00:29   #106  |  Link
jarthel
plebian

Quote:
Originally posted by kxy
This thread is going to get big. Soon it will be hard to read between all the praises and bug reports.

May I suggest a sticky on already know bugs, along with some of the things that syskin's explained?
I agree. Praises outnumber useful info.
Old 1st December 2003, 00:50   #107  |  Link
wannabe

Leak: I got the same problem with Trellis enabled(all frames at quant 31). It returns to normal if i disable Trellis. I made some encodes with Minimal frame interval 5, and it wasnt buggy.
Old 1st December 2003, 00:58   #108  |  Link
iago
retired

wannabe,

I think it has got nothing to do with trellis being enabled or not. I have done several two-pass test encodes, all with trellis enabled, and not encountered such a problem.

You should search the problem elsewhere. Maybe the problem is the third "..." box from above near the target size setting (that leads to the bitrate calculator) not keeping the entered value, a bug that was reported somewhere before I guess.

regards,
iago

EDIT: aaar9800 also points to the same issue below, and I suppose he is right.

Last edited by iago; 1st December 2003 at 01:03.
Old 1st December 2003, 00:59   #109  |  Link
aaar9800

Wannabe and Leak, I think that you set your desired size of second pass and then go around to check other options. If this is the case then the size will be reset to 700kb and you should change it again.

That thing occured quite a lot for me in early dev-api 4 builds
Old 1st December 2003, 01:37   #110  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by iago
wannabe,

I think it has got nothing to do with trellis being enabled or not. I have done several two-pass test encodes, all with trellis enabled, and not encountered such a problem.

You should search the problem elsewhere. Maybe the problem is the third "..." box from above near the target size setting (that leads to the bitrate calculator) not keeping the entered value, a bug that was reported somewhere before I guess.

regards,
iago

EDIT: aaar9800 also points to the same issue below, and I suppose he is right.
Ummm... I just tested this again.

Loaded the defaults and encoded a 30 second clip with the default settings in VirtualDubMod.

Then I just switched to 2 pass second pass, set the target size to 2500kB (first pass was 7MB) and lo and behold, it didn't use a quantizer higher than 6.

Then I went to the Advanced options page, ticked "Chroma Motion" and okayed my way out of everything. The target filesize still was 2500 and it still worked.

Then I went to the Advanced options page again, changed the minimum I-frame interval to 5, okayed out again (target filesize still was 2500) and then the 2nd pass again went bonkers, but yes, it looked as if it targeted 700.

Still, the target filesize box still contained 2500 (while it really reverts back to 700 if you hit the bitrate-calc-placeholder-button) and setting the minimum I-frame interval back to 1 and doing another 2nd pass yielded normal results.

So I don't believe it's got anything to do with changing settings after entering the target filesize, as I only entered it once and everything was okay while I didn't touch the min. I-frame interval *and* everything went back to normal after setting it back to 1, but not touching anything else.

Oh, and deliberately setting the target size to 700kB yielded a 750kB file with a max quantizer of 22, not 31:

http://desdemona.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/...Interval_1.png

On the other hand, as soon as I increased the min. I-frame interval to 5 and left everything else (especially the target size of 700) the same:

http://desdemona.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/...Interval_5.png

And, as expected, setting it back to 1 fixed the problem again.

Hope somebody can make sense of that...

EDIT: Actually, min. I-frame intervals 1-3 all yield the same good result, while everything >= 4 freaks out.

np: David Holmes - No Mans Land (This Film's Crap, Let's Slash The Seats)

Last edited by Leak; 1st December 2003 at 01:42.
Old 1st December 2003, 01:48   #111  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabe
Leak: I got the same problem with Trellis enabled(all frames at quant 31). It returns to normal if i disable Trellis. I made some encodes with Minimal frame interval 5, and it wasnt buggy.
Are you sure you did a second pass with this setting? It *does* work in the first pass or in single pass mode - it's just the second pass that goes completely out of control, as I elaborated in my other post.

Well, I'm off to bed - maybe someone elsewhere where it's not quarter to two in the morning can reproduce this?

np: Autechre - Squeller (EP7)
Old 1st December 2003, 02:37   #112  |  Link
m99

Quote:
Originally posted by P0l1m0rph1c
But there is. Disable libavcodec in ffdshow and maybe other filters, like DivX 5.1.1 filter (for generic mpeg-4) or 3ivX 4.5's filter. Aloha brings a Dshow filter, that's for sure.
Sorry, yes I know, I was a bit diffuse. It was the "Nic's latest standalone decoder DirectShow filter (installer)" I was interested in, I don't encode and I don't want to install more than I have to. Anyway, thx.
Old 1st December 2003, 03:17   #113  |  Link
winman

@Leak

I can reproduce the problem with 40 seconds clip

-Load Defaults...
-Set Encoding type: Twopass - 1st pass
-Uncheck Discard first pass
-Encode resulted in a 9.47MB file with all frames at quant 2

-Set Encoding type: Twopass - 2nd pass
-Encode resulted in a 9.41MB file with almost all frames at quant 2

-Set Encoding type: Twopass - 2nd pass
-Set Minimum I-Frame Interval: 5
-Encode resulted in a 1.68MB file with almost all frames at quant 31

Any Minimum I-Frame Interval other than 0 or 1 will produce file with almost all frames at quant 31. Changing target size have no effect unless the min i-frame int is 0 or 1.

Is 0 a legal value for Minimum I-Frame Interval?
Old 1st December 2003, 05:06   #114  |  Link
seewen

Quote:
Originally posted by zettai
Um... that's what the "unrestricted" profile is for...

(also the AS profiles etc allow you to choose different matrices)
Ok, so tell me HOW I can limit the bitrate with the "unrestricted" profile....
(Bitrate has to be limited to 4'000 to be correctly decodec by kiss standalones)
Old 1st December 2003, 05:33   #115  |  Link
skizm

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to koepi's site? I wanna test this out, but I can't connect or find anywhere else to download it
Old 1st December 2003, 06:20   #116  |  Link
RadicalEd

Quote:
Originally posted by zettai
Um... that's what the "unrestricted" profile is for...

(also the AS profiles etc allow you to choose different matrices)
Still doesn't allow a max bitrate, which is what he was saying.
Old 1st December 2003, 08:25   #117  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Wow - so many people praising the XviD development team for finally releasing a beta.

I don't.

In fact, I'm quite pissed that you released the codec too early.

You released it, although you knew that some important part does not work correctly, as we privately discussed:

2-pass file size prediction in XviD dev4api does not work without B frames!

And even with B frames, at least the "average bitrate" display is totally confused:

Old 1st December 2003, 08:38   #118  |  Link
Koepi

LigH:

instead of crying or yelling around you should provide us with code to fix the problem :P

Regards
Koepi
Old 1st December 2003, 09:03   #119  |  Link
d'Oursse
Mushroomeur

@Ligh : read carefully the first message of this thread. Perhaps you don't know the meaning of a beta release

and great thanks to the xvid team for that geat piece of code

Last edited by d'Oursse; 1st December 2003 at 09:06.
Old 1st December 2003, 09:07   #120  |  Link
zettai
Fascinated Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by seewen
(Bitrate has to be limited to 4'000 to be correctly decodec by kiss standalones) [/B]
Well you could just use cbr (which is really abr anyway) or you could

1) Burn your encodes to DVD
2) Use the dvd-rom version of the drive firmware instead of the speed-limited one (see rpc1.org)

The bitrate issue with the kiss player is just a problem with the drive's inability to spin that fast with cds. The above methods overcome that.
Closed Thread