Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th January 2006, 15:07   #321  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

It's just the color palette in that particular subtitle. Can you send it to me (look up my email in the manual), maybe I can find a way to deal with subs like it?
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:45   #322  |  Link
SpellCaster
Digital Sorcerer

Hi everybody, good day to all!
I've checked out latest SubRip version just yesterday (previously I was using ancient 0.9 ver.). There's much improvements since that version, but I've found some problems with new one.
1. Window labels have VERY small font! I had to get much closer to monitor to read them . Especially it applies to Subtitle combobox.
2. When ripping, main window doesn't keep its size/position. At some moment (i believe when the one VOB is finished and a new one started) window returns to default placement, whatever placement/size it had before.
I'm now downloading source, maybe i'll tell where this bug located.
3. The red blinking of "Enter Char" window is REALLY annoying! This window has a lot of buttons, fields and stuff, and i was just studying them but red blink almost drove me mad >:-[. It would be nice to have an option allowing to turn the blinking off.
4. I didn't found an option to set inter-character distance. In Russian, letters are often flowing together and SubRip considers that 2 or even 3 chars are one.
5. I've tried to fill the matrix using some font, but nothing was filled, although subtitle font was like Verdana. Maybe i did it wrongly?
6. (trifle or maybe my OS bug). Scrolling in window where text is stored does by strange way. When scrolling (with mouse wheel) down, it seems like scrolling up and then down 8-|

Best regards, SpellCaster.
SpellCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:53   #323  |  Link
bourtzovlakas
dvd.stuff.gr moderator

1)You can raise the font size...
3)You can disable it from Options-->Global options-->Wake me up:untick
4)Options-->Advance OCR setup-->"Space width setup" and "character setup"
bourtzovlakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:52   #324  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

2) I usually do .idx/.sub files, so I never noticed this. Let me know if you find the bug.
5) Is currently being improved (I got a new, automatic version in the making). But, in a nutshell, you need to select some UniCode ranges that will appear in the "characters to fill" box.
6) You may have peoblems with your mouse driver settings as well (there's a setting telling it how many lines to scroll). Also, the "V" checkbox tells SubRip to always scroll to the last line when adding a subtitle, and that may conflict with your manual scrolling.
Old 25th January 2006, 14:49   #325  |  Link
SpellCaster
Digital Sorcerer

Thank you for answers!
1. You mean, set font size in Delphi and then recompile?
2. I will take a look at the code
3,4. Thanx, i got it
SpellCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 16:01   #326  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

1) There used to be an option that let you set the interface font and size. I'll think about reintroducing it in the next version. Meanwhile, you can tell Windows (Desktop->Properties->Appearance) to scale up your fonts. Or... get a pair of glasses .

Last edited by ai4spam; 25th January 2006 at 16:07.
Old 26th January 2006, 13:43   #327  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

hello!

i've been using subrip for quite a while and it's great!

there is one major improvement that i'd like:
is it possible to select which subtitles should be ripped and where they are saved? it's a pita-work to select each subtitle track, wait for it to be finished, save it, clear the text, reset the time-count and start to rip again.

it would be nice to set everything up and let the pc do the work.
i know that i still have to enter the correct characters if SubRip doesn't know them, but after 4 or 5 episodes almost all characters are known.
ToS_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 16:04   #328  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip supports comand line interface. Just read CLI.txt for details.
Old 28th January 2006, 10:46   #329  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

yeah, i tried it,but i need .srt files!

what i've seen so far, subrip doesn't work with CLI + OCR?
Old 3rd February 2006, 06:07   #330  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Indeed, since SubRip assumes that the need to type in characters defeats the whole purpose of the command line interface (no interaction). As more featurea are added (better OCR, planned in the next version), text output for CLI may be implemented, but I don't have any time for it in the near future, so I can't tell you if/when it will be done.
Old 6th February 2006, 12:23   #331  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

thank you very much for the information!

with your character-matrix, text output shouldn't be a problem
Old 7th February 2006, 10:55   #332  |  Link
jmk

charmatrix file

ai4spam: would you be so kind and put your char matrix file online again? its hosting period seems to have expired...

thx for the great program!

jmk
jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:12   #333  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
There's a mirror (kindly provided by FoxyShadis): http://foxyshadis.slightlydark.com/r...CharMatrix.rar
ai4spam, you may want to correct the links for the charmatrix at the subrip homepage etc.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:23   #334  |  Link
jmk

sorry,
should have probably read through the whole thread... i came from the subrip homepage.

thanks for the link / mirror!

jmk
jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 17:20   #335  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Of course, if you ever need me to update it, just PM me! It's about six months old, I have no idea if it's changed at all in that time...
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 20:46   #336  |  Link
promitheas

" I didn't found an option to set inter-character distance. In Russian, letters are often flowing together and SubRip considers that 2 or even 3 chars are one."
I agree with Spellcaster, the same happens in Greek language.
Old 9th February 2006, 01:36   #337  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@foxyshadis: Thanks a lot for all your help. Not much ahs changed in the matrix since the last update. It would be great if you could mirror other stuff as well, such as the hardsubbed video ripping guide.

@promitheas: Space width setup in Advanced OCR options will do that for you. Bear in mind that if the letters are "glued" together, there's no straightforward way to separate them.
Old 11th February 2006, 20:22   #338  |  Link
ericf

Hello. Sorry to say this but I've not been able to make this work with any of my files. The OCR feature simply doesn't work for me. I can't get the selections to work for more than one subtitle ( it seems the subs move up and down all the time), I can't make the program fill in the background in any color but red (it's never black and white), fatten text doesn't take care of fonts with thin bends (like Times New Roman). I got the program to find and react to the first appearing subtitle at some point with one file but when I paused adjusted the parameters to make it read the subs better (broken subs) and started over the program didn't detect any subs at all.

And then, if I did get some of these right, the process is very slow.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this what people have to cope with all the time? I know that subrip doesn't know back from front when it comes to characters with broken parts. And I have no way of making my subs appear fully even with fatten text.

Another thing. If I wanted to exit from the ripping window and go back to the startwindow of subrip, how do I do it? I can't shut down the window since there is no close button and no X.

Thanks.

ericf
ericf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2006, 05:52   #339  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

If the subs move, don't check "Fill sides" or "Draw lines on top". The background may be red because you tell SubRip to use the outline color, which happens to be close to whatever else is in the image. Try adjusting the color tolerances. And look in the status bar at the bottom, it tells you what to do. You have to click a second time to define the outline color. As for the processing being slow... it is the best it can do at the moment, and I don't have time to improve it in the near future, sorry. You may want to try AviSubDetector as well, it may work better for a particular movie.
And... to exit, press Stop, then Close. You can also use the Pause button to change some settings, Resume will go back to the first frame of the current subtitle.

Last edited by ai4spam; 12th February 2006 at 05:55.
Old 12th February 2006, 08:08   #340  |  Link
ericf

Thanks for the tips. I will try to work it out.
I have used AVISubDetector for about a year and I'm quite happy with it's detecting abilities. The OCR is quicker but when fansubbers use different outline colors depending on viewpoint and sometimes different fonts it's quite difficult to OCR no matter what program you use.

Thanks again for putting in effort making this program.

By the way, how do I make an Avisynth script for an mpg file (or any avi file as well) and open it in AVISubDetector? The problem is that the video is shown upside down and the flip command doesn't work for the program.

Do you know? I've tried to get an answer from the creator of that program but failed.

ericf
ericf is offline   Reply With Quote